BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 62

2013-12-05 9:41 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?)

Hi EVERYONE!!! btw...I found something awesome:

MANATEE SOCKS!!!!! Oh yes, some people may be recipients of this greatness....or of some of the other varieties I saw.

In other news, due to ongoing health ickiness (my own, and nothing new, just same ol' growing older and being female BS)and an interest in improving my training/racing, I have decided that my fitness (training) will be my primary focus for 2014 (starting NOW)--My money stuff, school, and work are done with, or at least in a reliable working pattern, so I can work on the training more than anything.

For starters, I dropped 24 Hour Fitness (like the classes and the variety of equipment, hate the pool, hate the crowds, HATE the lack of parking at the one closest to me--which isn't too close), and have joined with Planet Fitness (literally down the street and around the corner!), and have managed to save $10 per month in dues--AND with my membership,  the hubby can go too "as my guest" every day that I go --for free. Nice little perk, its like 2 for 1. Downside--they have no pool---other upside--There is an indoor pool place, 'the Swimstitute', that has a full size pool in which I can drop in for lap swimming (unlimited time) for $10 a session. No matter what--A much bigger pool, as well as a CLEANER  pool that doesn't get over crowded like 24 Hour....

So I did my workout tonight, a little 1 mile run--well, I told myself I ONLY needed to go for a mile, but if I wanted to do a bit more, I could--so did 30 minutes on the treadmill--slowly, but got 2.1 miles in. I am happy with that. I am starting from square one and plan on taking it slowly and surely to improve my fitness. 

Both parents are doing mostly well--Dad is amazing his cardio-physical-therapy people with his mad athletic talents (we tend to have sort of an naturally good baseline fitness in this family)---admittedly, back in the day, my dad (Looooooong before I was born) was actually breaking records in track and field--had a truck not fallen on his leg (seriously, it did.), he would have most likely broken the Olympic record in the Long Jump. He was training for the Olympic trials when the truck got him. He is still battling circulatory issues in his feet, thanks to the diabetes, but his heart is happy right now.

Mom is doing pretty good overall; she has lost her hair now, but apart from that, she has no other side effects from the chemo. I am super happy for her on that! In fact, she is keeping busy by bugging Dad about home improvement projects again---obviously she is feeling better than she was!

2013-12-06 6:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Kate that is all awesome news. Glad to hear the 'rents are both doing well and you are back on track

Things have been too quiet here these days. Where are the rabble rousers to stir things up? Well it's not me - I have nothing of significance to report. Work has been busy and the weekends are spent trying to find the nieces and nephews the perfect holiday gifts so we can retain our titles as "favorite aunt and uncle."

Hope you all have a great Friday and TGIF!!!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-12-06 6:06 AM
2013-12-06 7:30 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by kgore

MANATEE SOCKS!!!!! Oh yes, some people may be recipients of this greatness....or of some of the other varieties I saw.

In other news, due to ongoing health ickiness (my own, and nothing new, just same ol' growing older and being female BS)and an interest in improving my training/racing, I have decided that my fitness (training) will be my primary focus for 2014 (starting NOW)--My money stuff, school, and work are done with, or at least in a reliable working pattern, so I can work on the training more than anything.

For starters, I dropped 24 Hour Fitness (like the classes and the variety of equipment, hate the pool, hate the crowds, HATE the lack of parking at the one closest to me--which isn't too close), and have joined with Planet Fitness (literally down the street and around the corner!), and have managed to save $10 per month in dues--AND with my membership,  the hubby can go too "as my guest" every day that I go --for free. Nice little perk, its like 2 for 1. Downside--they have no pool---other upside--There is an indoor pool place, 'the Swimstitute', that has a full size pool in which I can drop in for lap swimming (unlimited time) for $10 a session. No matter what--A much bigger pool, as well as a CLEANER  pool that doesn't get over crowded like 24 Hour....

So I did my workout tonight, a little 1 mile run--well, I told myself I ONLY needed to go for a mile, but if I wanted to do a bit more, I could--so did 30 minutes on the treadmill--slowly, but got 2.1 miles in. I am happy with that. I am starting from square one and plan on taking it slowly and surely to improve my fitness. 

Both parents are doing mostly well--Dad is amazing his cardio-physical-therapy people with his mad athletic talents (we tend to have sort of an naturally good baseline fitness in this family)---admittedly, back in the day, my dad (Looooooong before I was born) was actually breaking records in track and field--had a truck not fallen on his leg (seriously, it did.), he would have most likely broken the Olympic record in the Long Jump. He was training for the Olympic trials when the truck got him. He is still battling circulatory issues in his feet, thanks to the diabetes, but his heart is happy right now.

Mom is doing pretty good overall; she has lost her hair now, but apart from that, she has no other side effects from the chemo. I am super happy for her on that! In fact, she is keeping busy by bugging Dad about home improvement projects again---obviously she is feeling better than she was!

That's brill news and to help you (and myself and others) with consistent training, I'm looking at setting up a team on Janttastic.

Jantastic is a free thing put on each year by Marathon Talk, the pod cast people, and is a really good motivational tool for getting us peeps out in the crap weather of the Northern Hemisphere when we wouldn't normally want to go.

Basically, step one starts on January the 6 th. Prior to this, you need to sign up to the site, and join a team ( preferably my team). You the have to declare how many runs you will complete each week for the next four weeks and record them on the site at the end of each week. Ou must commit to do at least 3 runs to qualify, and runs must be 1 mile or more. It doesn't matter if you're walking or running.

Step two. Ou must do the same as the 1st four weeks, but now you must also predict how many miles your long run each week will be, and record that also.

Step three. The final four weeks, you must do the same as before, but must also predict a race time you will complete to the nearest second. Whether the race is 1 mile to an ultra marathon, it doesn't matter. It also doesn't have to be an official race, it could just be a local training run you use. Warning, you will be penalised for running faster/slower than your predicted race pace, but then, if you're on for a PR, who gives a fach

This really helped me get out the door last year when we had really atrocious weather and I'm also pretty rubbish at consistency, I think it could benefit us all in one way or another and is perfect for a spring race build up.

So, what do you say? Are you in? I haven't set up a team yet. I wanted to guage interest before doing so. Let me know if this interests you and I'll set it up.

Oh, and as an incentive, there are random spot prizes given at the end of each four week segment to those that have recorded the perquisite runs for that stage. There's also a big random prize at the end of it all. Last year, this was an all expenses paid VIP entry to London Marathon staying at the Towers Hotel where all the elite athletes stayed. That would be nice

Here's the site, as I said, let me know, because I had no one join the manic mile team I set up, and if no one wants to do it, I can jump in with another team. Happy training

http://www.jantastic.me/

Edited by Richardsdrr 2013-12-06 7:30 AM
2013-12-06 7:41 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Edit. I've set up a team now if anyone wants to join. It's the Mad Manatees. Look for it in the team selection page.
2013-12-06 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Richardsdrr https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.323241584481993.1073741828... Some photos of the ultra for you to peruse, if you so wish.

Darren, I had seen you post some photos on Facebook this morning. They are beautiful! I don't know if I have ever been so drawn to do an ultra as I am now. 

Oh, don't think this comment passed me by

http://www.evergreentrailruns.com/5-24-soaring-eagle-trail-run

Do eeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttrt

Be perfect little lead on from Boston build up just saying. P,us, you'd totally kill the field.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2013-12-06 7:48 AM
2013-12-06 9:01 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkKate that is all awesome news. Glad to hear the 'rents are both doing well and you are back on track Things have been too quiet here these days. Where are the rabble rousers to stir things up? Well it's not me - I have nothing of significance to report. Work has been busy and the weekends are spent trying to find the nieces and nephews the perfect holiday gifts so we can retain our titles as "favorite aunt and uncle."Hope you all have a great Friday and TGIF!!!!
I agree Kate, great news all around!

funny that you and your husband are trying to keep the title "favorite aunt and uncle", I have the "coolest aunt " title which, I'm pretty sure, also means I am the favorite. I probably should start thinking about buying Xmas gifts sometime soon though or I could lose the title. Actually, there's no way I could lose the title, so never mind

2013-12-06 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by kgore

That's brill news and to help you (and myself and others) with consistent training, I'm looking at setting up a team on Janttastic.Jantastic is a free thing put on each year by Marathon Talk, the pod cast people, and is a really good motivational tool for getting us peeps out in the crap weather of the Northern Hemisphere when we wouldn't normally want to go.Basically, step one starts on January the 6 th. Prior to this, you need to sign up to the site, and join a team ( preferably my team). You the have to declare how many runs you will complete each week for the next four weeks and record them on the site at the end of each week. Ou must commit to do at least 3 runs to qualify, and runs must be 1 mile or more. It doesn't matter if you're walking or running.Step two. Ou must do the same as the 1st four weeks, but now you must also predict how many miles your long run each week will be, and record that also.Step three. The final four weeks, you must do the same as before, but must also predict a race time you will complete to the nearest second. Whether the race is 1 mile to an ultra marathon, it doesn't matter. It also doesn't have to be an official race, it could just be a local training run you use. Warning, you will be penalised for running faster/slower than your predicted race pace, but then, if you're on for a PR, who gives a fach This really helped me get out the door last year when we had really atrocious weather and I'm also pretty rubbish at consistency, I think it could benefit us all in one way or another and is perfect for a spring race build up.So, what do you say? Are you in? I haven't set up a team yet. I wanted to guage interest before doing so. Let me know if this interests you and I'll set it up.Oh, and as an incentive, there are random spot prizes given at the end of each four week segment to those that have recorded the perquisite runs for that stage. There's also a big random prize at the end of it all. Last year, this was an all expenses paid VIP entry to London Marathon staying at the Towers Hotel where all the elite athletes stayed. That would be nice Here's the site, as I said, let me know, because I had no one join the manic mile team I set up, and if no one wants to do it, I can jump in with another team. Happy training http://www.jantastic.me/
This sounds interesting. I have a trail 25k in February, I am trying to build my run volume ( while healing my hamstring), so this could be fun - although I really don't need an incentive to get out in our winter weather!
2013-12-06 10:40 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Kate - how timely that you checked in with the manatees, I was thinking heavily about you and your parents yesterday, hoping things were OK with you and them.  Glad to hear it is!  Those socks rock, BTW!

Darren - I love the idea!  If I can get my hamstring back into a happy place I'd love to join your team, but I will wait to see how things go.  I had just embarked on a Thanksgiving through Christmas 1 mile a day challenge but only made it to day 5 when I hurt my leg at TKD. 

2013-12-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Kate - how timely that you checked in with the manatees, I was thinking heavily about you and your parents yesterday, hoping things were OK with you and them.  Glad to hear it is!  Those socks rock, BTW!

Darren - I love the idea!  If I can get my hamstring back into a happy place I'd love to join your team, but I will wait to see how things go.  I had just embarked on a Thanksgiving through Christmas 1 mile a day challenge but only made it to day 5 when I hurt my leg at TKD. 

I like the idea too!

2013-12-06 12:29 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Although Yanti already posted a partial listing, I'll continue on with a Friday update

Racing Manatees

December 7-8
Yanti - Ironman Western Australia on Sunday
Randee - Blue Back Square Mitten Run 5k on Sunday

Disabled list:
Melanie - strained hamstring

Go Manatees!

2013-12-06 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Although Yanti already posted a partial listing, I'll continue on with a Friday update

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

Go YANTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (She's bib 703) What does your kit look like?

Go Randee, sounds like a fun one!

ETA: I haven't checked CoJ, do we have vigil assignments for IMWA?

Edited by rrrunner 2013-12-06 12:42 PM

2013-12-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

Such a short list for both the racers and disablers! Go Yanti and Randee!! Take care of that hamstring Melanie !
2013-12-06 12:56 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

GOOOOOOO YANTI!!!!

BTW, My race on Sunday is one that I decided to do because my friend is doing her first ever 5k. She found a c25k (although she's not a coucher as she plays tennis all year long etc) and has been training for 6 weeks. I told her I'd go with her (although I may not run WITH her sssshhh LOL).

so GO TEAM!!!!!!!!!!

and c'mon Melanie - heal that thing up!!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-12-06 12:57 PM
2013-12-06 3:04 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

She seems to be trying a different tact this time. Under the radar, real quiet like. I had to go figure out the time difference from Brusselton to Florida. She starts 6:00 pm my time (I think). And we have a bib number, so we can get really ticked off at the IM tracking system, just to keep it all consistent.

2013-12-06 8:47 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Goooooooooo Manatees! 

Been kinda absent lately: I read everyone's posts, just haven't been commenting.  Work is crazy (5 hours doing practical exams with students yesterday...), I am back on the Calculus train and spare time is spent with my sweetie.  Looking forward to the end of semester when I have some time to relax!

Speaking of relaxing...My Bro and SIL have been thinking about taking their 3 kids to Disneyland again (they went a few years back).  They have been talking about it for a few months and decided to go in Feb.  Then they thought "kids aren't going to be non-sullen non-teenagers forever" and maybe we should have a family holiday.  Soooooooo, mom, me, and their 5 are all going!  So fun.  K is in Singapore visiting family until the day after we leave, unfortunately, but is looking into meeting us there, which would be amazing!  I am excited I LOVE DISNEYLAND and I won't look like such an idiot acting like a child if I have some with me this time

Hope everyone is staying warm and safe! 

2013-12-07 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

I popped in on the right day!!  I had no idea Yanti was doing an IRONMAN this weekend.

GO YANTI!!!

Randee, I don't know you but Randee rhymes with Manatee so GO RANDEE MANATEE!!! 

HI EVERYONE!!!  Hope you are all well!! 

Edited by jogo 2013-12-07 8:14 AM

2013-12-07 11:41 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

She seems to be trying a different tact this time. Under the radar, real quiet like. I had to go figure out the time difference from Brusselton to Florida. She starts 6:00 pm my time (I think). And we have a bib number, so we can get really ticked off at the IM tracking system, just to keep it all consistent.

Noticed that there is a countdown timer at the top of the tracker page. Likely to pro start?

2013-12-07 11:41 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by bcraht

Goooooooooo Manatees! 

Been kinda absent lately: I read everyone's posts, just haven't been commenting.  Work is crazy (5 hours doing practical exams with students yesterday...), I am back on the Calculus train and spare time is spent with my sweetie.  Looking forward to the end of semester when I have some time to relax!

Speaking of relaxing...My Bro and SIL have been thinking about taking their 3 kids to Disneyland again (they went a few years back).  They have been talking about it for a few months and decided to go in Feb.  Then they thought "kids aren't going to be non-sullen non-teenagers forever" and maybe we should have a family holiday.  Soooooooo, mom, me, and their 5 are all going!  So fun.  K is in Singapore visiting family until the day after we leave, unfortunately, but is looking into meeting us there, which would be amazing!  I am excited I LOVE DISNEYLAND and I won't look like such an idiot acting like a child if I have some with me this time

Kirsten, I knew you were cooler than the average Canuck! TW and I are huge Disnoids. We are finally getting a Christmas trip there again this year. Just a few short days, but it'll be well worth it. We both need a break, and it is so enjoyable this time of year. February will be awesome for you, not too hot, and probably not too crowded. I hope K can meet up with ya'll.

So, with Disney in mind, I have to ask who has done any of the Marathon weekend stuff? I've done the Half a few years back with my sister and am harboring a goal of the full there someday. It isn't a fast course, which is right up my alley, because I am not fast either.

2013-12-07 12:34 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Originally posted by brigby1

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

Noticed that there is a countdown timer at the top of the tracker page. Likely to pro start?

yes.

I am in the right time zone i've got about four friends to stalk today - she's on the list. praying she stays healthy to get it done. In my mind that's all that can stop her.

now it's 5.30am i'm hitting the trainer. for 3hours 41 minutes - awesome.
2013-12-07 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Goooooooooo Manatees! 

Kirsten, I knew you were cooler than the average Canuck! TW and I are huge Disnoids. We are finally getting a Christmas trip there again this year. Just a few short days, but it'll be well worth it. We both need a break, and it is so enjoyable this time of year. February will be awesome for you, not too hot, and probably not too crowded. I hope K can meet up with ya'll.

So, with Disney in mind, I have to ask who has done any of the Marathon weekend stuff? I've done the Half a few years back with my sister and am harboring a goal of the full there someday. It isn't a fast course, which is right up my alley, because I am not fast either.

I have!  The Disney marathon in 2009 was my first marathon.  The following year I did the 1/2.  I've also done Expedition Everest 2x and the ESPN 5k.  You are right, it is not a fast course - it has too many runners on a too narrow and twisting course to be fast, but it is an experience probably unlike any other race.  Where else do people stop (and in the case of the castle, stop) to have their pictures taken?

2013-12-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jobaxas  now it's 5.30am i'm hitting the trainer. for 3hours 41 minutes - awesome.

3:41???

2013-12-07 3:11 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jobaxas

Originally posted by brigby1

Racing Manatees

December 7-8

Disabled list:

Go Manatees!

yes.

I am in the right time zone i've got about four friends to stalk today - she's on the list. praying she stays healthy to get it done. In my mind that's all that can stop her.

now it's 5.30am i'm hitting the trainer. for 3hours 41 minutes - awesome.
Have a great ride Jo.

It's just after 5am in WA now so Yanti should be up and about. I would love to be there to be a able to give you updates but unfortunately I'm in Sydney this weekend so I can't.

So with you in spirit Yanti I hope you have a great day.
2013-12-07 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Goooooooooo Manatees! 

That was my first half marathon.  January 2010 in the sleet.  What an experience!

The only thing that I didn't like was the Christmas music in the parks.  In January.  

2013-12-07 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Does anyone know when Yanti's wave kicks off?

2013-12-07 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Goooooooooo Manatees! 

That was my first half marathon.  January 2010 in the sleet.  What an experience!

The only thing that I didn't like was the Christmas music in the parks.  In January.  

Hey, we were at the same race! Sleet hitting your face when you run is not fun, but it was better than the rain that came as it "warmed" up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mucho Mental Manatee Mentors--CLOSED (Pop Tarts?) Rss Feed  

of 62

RELATED POSTS

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : September 20, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Snapping hip syndrome is a condition described by a snapping sensation felt when the hip is flexed and extended. It is often also treated with anti-inflammatory medications and physical therapy.
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : May 29, 2012
I recently just ran a 5 mile race, and in the last 100 meters I was sprinting to pass someone and I felt a "pop" in my left arch. Could I have strained it? What is your advice for healing?
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.

date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.