BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2011-12-20 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP- OPEN

Jeesh, a girl races in the freezing temperatures with mud, water, and thorns.  Then, takes a couple days off to recover and the mg thread is gone and there are already 5 pages on the new thread.  If someone wouldn't have sent me an inspire I would still be oblivious. 

I'm in.  bio to follow when I have a chance to "regroup." 

P.S.  I made a verbal comittment to do my first ultra next year.  Hahahaha, and I wasn't even drinking at the time.  What is WRONG with me?

2011-12-20 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
So.......'G' is goat?   REALLY?
2011-12-20 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3945285

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Havin'Fun - 2011-12-20 12:07 AM
gdale - 2011-12-19 10:59 PM

Before fatty writes my bio...

NAME:  gdale/George

STORY:  This was my third season of tri's.  Started a few years ago after running for a few years for fitness and feeling like I had plateaued.  A lot of folks at the Y I worked out at were doing tris and I figured I could do that.  Signed up for a sprint in 2009 and did an OLY that same year.  Got a little longer this year with my first HIM and my first marathon.  Been around the MG for a while but not quite as long as some of the elder statesmen.

FAMILY:  Married nearly 14 years to wife Kris.  She got into tris last year so now we have to fit in two training schedules.  Three rugrats - all boys (thank GAWD I don't have girls like Dino!) - Jeremy (12), Tommy (9), Cody (5).  Tommy has done two tris also so this is turning into a family affair!

Kris and I both work full time so that makes fitting in training extra hard.  We have to be creative at times.  I am a project manager and lately have had to do a lot of overseas traveling - haven't gotten good yet at training with jet lag.

HOBBIES:  Whatever my kids are doing.  I am currently coaching a youth wrestling team.  I help to coach baseball and soccer.  I do some charity work.

TRAINING:  Yeah...I need to get on that again.  I do a lot of my training at lunch during the week.

2011 RACES:  A couple of half marathons, the Musselman HIM, the Wineglass Marathon

2012 RACES:  The Tough Mudder in May in the Poconos, Musselman HIM in July (I need redemption - walked most of the run last year), some other half marathons, probably an OLY and I thinking about trying to work in one more HIM.

WHAT I BRING TO THE MG:  I like to let the suspense build up before I post my race reports.  I like to be a wise azz but actually I am pretty tame compared to fatty and Trevor.  I am still building experience, so I take more than I give but they haven't kicked me out yet for that!!

WEIGHT:  I have gotten good at putting the pounds on.  Weight loss will be a primary goal for the season but not checking my weight until after January 1st!

Are you ready for the shock?  Those live wires scare the XXXX out of me!

BTW - I miss Rocky  Wink

That obstacle is late in the event (might be the last one...) so I figure that since it will be early spring in the Poconos I will be frozen to the bone and won't be able to feel anything anyway!  I am doing it with Kris and with some of her cousins.  Kris signed up before she watched any of the videos...she is having second thoughts!!!

I will send you the Rocky picture...it will be closest that I ever come to sexting.  Unless of course you send me something back!!

2011-12-20 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3945972

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
swbkrun - 2011-12-20 12:15 PMWelcome new comers and welcome back "old goats!"  Let the games  Training begin!!
And cougars ...
2011-12-20 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3946124

User image

Master

Thanks for posting my bio, fatty, and the lovely picture!! Now I'll try...

Name: Kyla

Background: Swimmer my whole life (specialized in distance freestyle). Did some running (slowly) after college and in my 20-something years. First marathon 1998 (Napa). Three more marathons two kids later in 2003 (Big Sur, San Francisco, Chicago). Several more along the way, a lot of half-marathons. Started a spin class. Met a girl who led a triathlon class. Became her friend and started training with her -- she taught me I could run faster. Bought a bike. Rode it. Swam in a lake (I prefer chlorine). Entered a few sprints. Liked 'em. Did an Oly. Good stuff. Entered a HIM (Victoria, 2009). Loved it. Entered IM Coeur d'Alene 2010 (or Idaho Ironman as fatty would call it -- doesn't sound as good with the spud-state), checked a life goal off the list. Wanted to go faster, so went back in 2011 (and went faster).

Family Status: Married 15 years to Dave, who runs a little, but not with me (long story). Two kids, son is 11 (6th grade), daughter is 9 (4th grade). They are awesome and energetic and athletic and a total inspiration. Flat-Coated Retriever, Trip, is 4 and the best athlete in the family. Ragdoll cat Lupine is cute and soft but she is still a cat (and we humans are not worthy), but I love her to pieces.

2011 Races: IM CDA, a trail half marathon, and I think that's it. Just call me "Slacker."

2012 Races:  Rev3 Portland (70.3), and whatever else tickles my fancy.

Current Training: Seeking revenge on the run after I tore my hamstring this past April (fell on a trail). I am 83 days into a run streak and have a no-longer secret goal to stretch that to 100. Am enjoying some trail runs with our fearless leader as well. After the new year, I plan to find my bike, and eventually I will work my way back to the chlorine and get my training all balanced out again.

What I bring to the MG:  Peace, love, and understanding.

2011-12-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3946231

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2011-12-20 1:04 PM

Thanks for posting my bio, fatty, and the lovely picture!! Now I'll try...

Name: Kyla

Background: Swimmer my whole life (specialized in distance freestyle). Did some running (slowly) after college and in my 20-something years. First marathon 1998 (Napa). Three more marathons two kids later in 2003 (Big Sur, San Francisco, Chicago). Several more along the way, a lot of half-marathons. Started a spin class. Met a girl who led a triathlon class. Became her friend and started training with her -- she taught me I could run faster. Bought a bike. Rode it. Swam in a lake (I prefer chlorine). Entered a few sprints. Liked 'em. Did an Oly. Good stuff. Entered a HIM (Victoria, 2009). Loved it. Entered IM Coeur d'Alene 2010 (or Idaho Ironman as fatty would call it -- doesn't sound as good with the spud-state), checked a life goal off the list. Wanted to go faster, so went back in 2011 (and went faster).

Family Status: Married 15 years to Dave, who runs a little, but not with me (long story). Two kids, son is 11 (6th grade), daughter is 9 (4th grade). They are awesome and energetic and athletic and a total inspiration. Flat-Coated Retriever, Trip, is 4 and the best athlete in the family. Ragdoll cat Lupine is cute and soft but she is still a cat (and we humans are not worthy), but I love her to pieces.

2011 Races: IM CDA, a trail half marathon, and I think that's it. Just call me "Slacker."

2012 Races:  Rev3 Portland (70.3), and whatever else tickles my fancy.

Current Training: Seeking revenge on the run after I tore my hamstring this past April (fell on a trail). I am 83 days into a run streak and have a no-longer secret goal to stretch that to 100. Am enjoying some trail runs with our fearless leader as well. After the new year, I plan to find my bike, and eventually I will work my way back to the chlorine and get my training all balanced out again.

What I bring to the MG:  Peace, love, and understanding.

Hmmm. what category does your favorite phrase "BITE ME" fall under? peace? love? or understanding?

2011-12-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3945737

User image

Regular
Chicago

Name: Melissa

Background: In 2009 my mom asked my sister and I to do a tri relay with her, bc the tri was benefiting an ovarian cancer charity and one of my mom's co-workers was recently diagnosed. I did the biking leg and had so much fun. That same summer, a co-worker of mine raced Steelhead and my sister and I went to Michigan to watch her. I decided that I would do a triathlon and picked a Chicago-area women's tri for June 2010. I had so much fun and did another tri that summer. I decided I should see how far I can take this tri thing.

Family Status: Married w/a dog. You can probably guess the breed!

2011 Races: Lake Zurich Oly, Stoneman Sprint, Oswego Sprint, Chicago Oly, two half marathons, a couple of 8ks, and an indoor tri just last week!

2012 Races:  Haven't signed up for anything yet, but am for sure racing an HIM. Am thinking about Racine. Also on the books will be my first marathon! Grand Rapids in the fall. My sister wants to be a 50 state-r and needs to check off Michigan. Also probably a couple of Olys, maybe Chicago again. I really liked it.

Goals: Improve my swim bc I am sloooooooooooooooow. Started taking technique classes this winter.

2011-12-20 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3946265

User image

Here's mine:

Name: Julia

Background: I grew up swimming through high school, took up mountain biking in college, and then started running in graduate school. I did a few running races here and there, but mostly just ran for fitness until I got more serious about training a few years ago. I got injured training for a marathon in 2009, so I got back in the pool for the first time in nearly 20 years, found I liked it, and tried a triathlon. I was hooked by the time I got to the run in my first sprint.

Family Status: Married for 12 years, 2 kids (8 and 6), one fabulous dog, and one grumpy old cat.

2011 Races: REV3 Knoxville, Muncie 70.3, Danskin Seattle, a local Oly, and a bunch of running races.

2012 Races:  2012 will be the year of the Oly for me, including REV3 Portland (now that they have an oly!). I'll also do some trail running, including a half and full marathon and a 15k race series.

What I bring to the MG:  Mad T1 skillz. Oh wait, that's Fatty. How about 2 dozen latkes? No, those are for my daughter's holiday party. I'm sure there's something....

2011-12-20 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3946360

User image

Elite
Raleigh
gotta run - 2011-12-20 2:58 PM

Here's mine:

Name: Julia

Background: I grew up swimming through high school, took up mountain biking in college, and then started running in graduate school. I did a few running races here and there, but mostly just ran for fitness until I got more serious about training a few years ago. I got injured training for a marathon in 2009, so I got back in the pool for the first time in nearly 20 years, found I liked it, and tried a triathlon. I was hooked by the time I got to the run in my first sprint.

Family Status: Married for 12 years, 2 kids (8 and 6), one fabulous dog, and one grumpy old cat.

2011 Races: REV3 Knoxville, Muncie 70.3, Danskin Seattle, a local Oly, and a bunch of running races.

2012 Races:  2012 will be the year of the Oly for me, including REV3 Portland (now that they have an oly!). I'll also do some trail running, including a half and full marathon and a 15k race series.

What I bring to the MG:  Mad T1 skillz. Oh wait, that's Fatty. How about 2 dozen latkes? No, those are for my daughter's holiday party. I'm sure there's something....

I love me some Latkes! Tonight is the first night of Hanukah!

2011-12-20 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

Picture this.... I'm on my hands and knees, crawling, begging for you to let me back in.   Room for one more????

Chris

2011-12-20 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3946495

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-12-20 3:04 PM

Picture this.... I'm on my hands and knees, crawling, begging for you to let me back in.   Room for one more????

Chris

I have zero authority around here... but there's ALWAYS room for one more.
BRING IT!!  and welcome back! 

2011-12-20 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-12-20 4:04 PM

Chris

I love a guy who will beg Laughing

2011-12-20 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-12-20 1:04 PM

Chris

Pics or it didn't happen!!

User image

Master

Chris

Pics or it didn't happen!!

Obviously such an important post that I had to hit submit twice!!

Edited by velcromom 2011-12-20 3:43 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Name: Kim

Background: Always a sporty kid growing up, but mostly participated in team sports like basketball (high school varsity) and flag football and softball (intramural college).  Started running in 1999 to get back to healthy after about 10 years of general inactivity.  Ran two marathons and then suffered a plantar fasciitis injury and took about 6 years off, until 2007, when I was signed up for a sprint tri training group.  Had to learn to swim (still a work in progress), but the rest is history!

Family Status: Happily married 6 years to Kathy (yes, we are legal!)...One awesome dog, Ripley, the best running partner a girl could have, she always shows up, never complains and always protects me!  One beautiful sleepy, yet very vocal cat, Mochi.

2011 Races: Boston Marathon, Silicon Valley Olympic, Vineman 70.3, and IMWI

2012 Races:  Goofy Challenge (in less than 3 weeks!), something something, maybe the Boston Marathon, maybe Auburn's toughest Half Ironman, maybe Portland Rev3, Vineman 70.3 again, maybe Disneyland Half marathon... my race calender is a little bit undecided still. 

What I bring to the MG: a sense of humor, some sarcasm, honesty and AWESOME tips on peeing during every leg of the triathlon including T1 and T2.  Seriously, folks, it's important knowledge! 

Edited by kt65 2011-12-20 3:49 PM
2011-12-20 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Name:  Jayne

Background: I'm 45 years old and a recovering slacker.  I'm a middle school U.S. History teacher.  Exercise is a wonderful stress-reliever. 

Family Status:  Married with 3 children (ages 23, 23, 21), 2 dogs, 1 cat.

Current Training:  Maintain the swim/bike and stretch the running distances.

2011 Races:  3 Sprints, 1 Oly, and a bunch of running races.  Just did a 10.5 mi. trail race. 

2012 Races:  The triathlon race schedule will probably look similar to last year, with 2 Olys instead of just one.  I've been toying with the possibility of doing a HIM, but haven't comitted yet.  I'm planning my first 1/2 Mary in March and another in May.  Will be pacing a ultramarathoner at the Leadville 100 Trail Run in August.  I want to do a 50k race next December called The Huff. 

Weight Loss:  I have lost about 35lbs in the past couple of years and would like to take off another 10.  I need to learn more about, and focus on good nutrition. 

Overall Goal:  I want to let the athlete in me OUT!   

What do I bring to the mentor group?:  I love to joke around and have fun.  Don't want to take life (or myself) too seriously. I bring a lot of questions.  Some of them are occasionally on topic Laughing

I look forward to getting to know everyone, hearing your stories, and working together to meet our goals! 

2011-12-20 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran

AHHH haahaa  Garmin import button has moved... almost got me on that one fella's!

Here's an thread link for those others that may be confused (like me!

It is now up by the Jump To: Graphs on the Training Log

2011-12-20 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3946586

User image

Veteran
kt65 - 2011-12-20 3:42 PM

Name: Kim

What I bring to the MG: a sense of humor, some sarcasm, honesty and AWESOME tips on peeing during every leg of the triathlon including T1 and T2.  Seriously, folks, it's important knowledge! 

I remember that chatter... extremely TMI!

2011-12-20 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

I know its getting crowded in here but would really like to join this group. 

Name:  John (43)

Story:  I had knee surgery a year ago (Nov 2010) and was sitting in my bed the day after and thought it would be a good idea to sign up for an IM.  I had done a couple of sprints but nothing serious.  I have always been a terrible swimmer.  Signing up for the event was a great motivator to get off the couch.  It wasn't pretty but I did Louisville in August.  I struggled but I finished.  So now I want to go back and rock it in 2012.  

Family Status: Married for almost 18 years and have 3 kids (9, 7, and 3).  My wife is my rock and nothing phases her.  Even weekly 5 hour bike rides. 

2011 Races:  Indy Mini, Muncie 1/2 IM, and Louisville IM. 

2012 Races:  Martian Marathon in April, Indy Mini in May, Muncie 1/2 IM in July, Louisville in August, Fall Marathon TBD.  

What can I bring to the group?:  A quick wit, mixed with a bit of sarcasm, some political incorrect advice, and a slackers heart.   I log most days unless I am traveling and will be active on the thread. 

Thanks

2011-12-20 4:26 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-12-20 3:04 PM

Chris

Only if you explain this Hand Injury further!

2011-12-20 4:27 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

NAME: FattyFatFat (John)

STORY: Drank Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer More beer, Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer, Ale, Beer, Beer, Malt Liquor, Beer, Beer, Stout, Beer, beer and beer.

Still drinking beer, beer, beer,beer, beer, ale, stout, beer, beer, guiness, beer, beer, beer, beer, beer and beer.

Will soon be consuming beer, beer, beer, beer, stout, beer, beer, beer, stout, beer, ale and beer while I look for MILFs on the Interweb.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with kids, all conceived while drinking beer.

CURRENT TRAINING: Lots of strength training: namely one arm curls of pitchers of beer.

2012 RACES: IMFL since I signed up after volunteering in 2011 and (I was drunk).

WEIGHTLOSS: My liquid diet caused me to lose weight and now I am Fatty fatfat in name only.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I find interesting images on the web.

(See I am a good ghostwriter! Laughing - Doug)

Edited by DougRob 2011-12-20 4:28 PM

2011-12-20 4:30 PM

User image

Master

Chris

Bark like a dog for me...

2011-12-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3946656

User image

Master
jslacker - 2011-12-20 2:19 PM

I know its getting crowded in here but would really like to join this group. 

Name:  John (43)

What can I bring to the group?:  A quick wit, mixed with a bit of sarcasm, some political incorrect advice, and a slackers heart.   I log most days unless I am traveling and will be active on the thread. 

Thanks

With a screen name like Slacker, you've come to the right place. Come on in, the water's fine!!!

2011-12-20 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3946615

User image

Master
Scalded_Dawg - 2011-12-20 1:58 PM

AHHH haahaa  Garmin import button has moved... almost got me on that one fella's!

Here's an thread link for those others that may be confused (like me!

It is now up by the Jump To: Graphs on the Training Log

Not totally enamored with the new process, hopefully I'll get used to it.

And am I the only one who hates the new cartoon line-drawn weather graphics? I like to see me some real clouds and real rain with my real clouds and rain (which, truthfully, have not been around much this December, knock on wood).

2011-12-20 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Hey everyone!  I'll post my bio later, but wanted to say to Linda that I would post a pic, but I'm not sure how .  To Dino - Thumb injury was from mtn biking (over the handlebars, bike crashed down on me - thank goodness for my helmet).  I found out that it's not broken, but there could be a torn ligament.  I'm getting an MRI on Monday if it's not any better.  Actually the guy riding with me made the comment "Man you must have crashed hard.  You've got tire tracks on you elbow!"  Kyla - Ruff, Ruff.... 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117