BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-28 8:24 AM
in reply to: bluwatersoul

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN

Originally posted by bluwatersoul
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi,

Is there room in this group for one more?

I am Robin, 53 and an adult onset athlete..

Hi Robin--you're in. Welcome to the forum! Steve

GREAT.

I am currently trying to get my training together for the next few  months.. I have an Olympic plan set up but my foot surgery is not healed as far as I had hoped by now. I can't run.. heck, I can't even walk very well, so I am going to have to be heavy on the bike and swim. Of course getting to my pool is always a challenge. It is 35 minutes away and the hours are odd. Life's challenges. Can I count the Polar Plunge I am going to do on NY day as a training swim?

Hey Robin - I am thinking of doing the plunge with a few friends in NY also- have you done it before? I was gung-ho until the chilly run I had last night- now I'm not so sure!!

I have done it before, the last 4 or 5 years. One year, the water seemed warmer than the land because of the cold and wind. Other years.. the water was definitely colder. The trick is to not think about it at all. Just do it. If you do think about it, remember that it is only 2 or so minutes from dry to starting to warm up again. Also, you can think of it as a full body ice bath. After it, all your joints feel just fine Oh... and if costumes are allowed, wear one that allows for a cap. That prevents the brain freeze effect. I am worried how my  surgery foot is going to do. I believe a neoprene booty (if I can get it on) will be the order of the day.

2013-12-28 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4915093

Subject: Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
I'm in the process of planning my strength training workouts and am considering replacing / supplementing a weight training session with a TRX class. Any thought on this? Judd
2013-12-28 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4919372

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
One of the biggest mental blocks I struggle with in Triathlon training is never reaching my true potential in any one event. I don't want to be negative, but rather realistic. The phrase "train your weaknesses, race your strengths" sounds good, but eventually ends up being self defeating, at least for me. Anyone care to share how they "evolved" from being a one or two sport athlete to balancing all three?
2013-12-28 10:14 AM
in reply to: jfodness

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Originally posted by jfodness

One of the biggest mental blocks I struggle with in Triathlon training is never reaching my true potential in any one event. I don't want to be negative, but rather realistic. The phrase "train your weaknesses, race your strengths" sounds good, but eventually ends up being self defeating, at least for me. Anyone care to share how they "evolved" from being a one or two sport athlete to balancing all three?

Hi Judd, I think the above is probably a true and realistic statement. One could probably also be "a runner, who does triathlons" or "a cyclist, who cross trains", but to me anyway, I think focusing on triathlons means you are, by definition, training in a broader way and perhaps with more focus on endurance. Especially at age 53, I think that is a good thing as it is a little less stress on one particular element, and probably requires a bit more mental discipline. Anyway, I'm still struggling with the run, which is my weakness in two ways - one, I'm a lousy runner and two, endurance isn't my strength and running comes at the end, so it is especially challenging. To do my best in the triathlon, it probably means I have to leave something in the water and on the bike and save it for the run. It also probably means (for me), that I can't short change the run training. My best triathlon results are invariably where I've balanced my performance in all three disciplines, but excelled in none of them. But once the goal becomes excelling in triathlon, your training and race strategy support that goal. But there are lots of other perfectly fine goals!

It also means there are two other "events" to train for... transitions and nutrition. Transitions especially for the short races and nutrition especially for the long races.

Ah well, just a couple of thoughts as I lay here continuing to wait for this head cold vice to let go of my head and neck. It better be gone by Jan 1st!

Stu
2013-12-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4919390

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Judd- I really like the TRX. There is a ton of core involved which is great for Tri and life in general. It also lets you easily train each side (eg Pistol squats) in a fashion that is just not easy to safely do without the TRX. It is also easy to adjust the difficulty quickly by moving towards or away from your anchor point. I say go for it!! (but I am very biased towards body wt training).
2013-12-28 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4919390

Thanks Stu - all good thoughts...

2013-12-28 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by jfodness

To me, it's not about reaching my "true potential in one sport" because that's not what Triathlon is....it's three sports, with performance in two legs impacted by the events immediately preceding them. I understand your POV, but if I want to reach my potential as a runner, then I need to run and only run with all training is focused on maximizing performance in that sport. But to get faster that's not an option in Triathlon....we have skill across all three which dictates some level of balanced training.

For me, I keep hoping that I some day have the perfect race, where my swim, bike and run all come together for me to produce a maximum performance in each sport on one specific day. It hasn't happened and I'm thinking that this is an unrealistic expectation. An all-out swim will impact the bike, an aggressive ride will hurt the run. So it just seems like the key is to be able to find balance and just perform well in all three disciplines without blowing up.

I think it is important to train your weakness. For me it was swimming. It was the sport I had zero experience in and I'm still not a great swimmer. But after a few races studying the split times I discovered that my swim was so poor that I was essentially losing the race before I could even exit the water. I just couldn't make up lost time from my poor swimming with faster bike or run legs to catch the leaders. So I had to focus on getting better in the water which meant less time on running, which is my strength. But in the end, any time lost from slightly slower runs was more than offset by faster swims.

I try to focus on amount of race time I gain by improving my weaknesses versus what I'll lose by failing to polish my strengths.

Steve
2013-12-28 1:11 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by jfodness I'm in the process of planning my strength training workouts and am considering replacing / supplementing a weight training session with a TRX class. Any thought on this? Judd

If you can get into a TRX class without having to pay for personal training go for it.  My gym limits the use of the TRX to use with the personal trainers and we are paying dearly for the training.  I am enjoying the workouts and they do push me to go deeper than just lifting--but I won't be able to keep up the personal training with kids in college.  

As Kathy pointed out--there is a lot of core work involved in it which is great for all the disciplines (as well as life in general)

2013-12-28 1:12 PM

User image

Regular
WOWIE...that was a LOT of catching up on posts !

Congrats SCOTT ! I think your old swimming routine mentality kicked in for you. LOL

Just think thirty years from now our kids will be in this group vying for the "Legacy of the BLACK DOG MUG ."

Just want to say RIP to last years running buddy ..Haley the boxer. She was a rescue dog whose former foster owner thought she was "too debilated" to go out on runs with her owner.
"Posh" , I worked Haley up to thirty minute runs and that crink in her back leg "vanished" permanently.

The only time Haley was really happy was when she was running. I thought ya'll would understand. sniff sniff
2013-12-28 1:13 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

I took my race bike out for a spin today.  It's 50 degrees in Richmond, too nice to sit on the trainer.  Sadly out of bike shape, beaten up by the wind & hills….but what a great way to spend the afternoon!

2013-12-28 1:14 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by dustytrails WOWIE...that was a LOT of catching up on posts ! Congrats SCOTT ! I think your old swimming routine mentality kicked in for you. LOL Just think thirty years from now our kids will be in this group vying for the "Legacy of the BLACK DOG MUG ." Just want to say RIP to last years running buddy ..Haley the boxer. She was a rescue dog whose former foster owner thought she was "too debilated" to go out on runs with her owner. "Posh" , I worked Haley up to thirty minute runs and that crink in her back leg "vanished" permanently. The only time Haley was really happy was when she was running. I thought ya'll would understand. sniff sniff

So sorry about the loss of the 4 legged run partner  

2013-12-28 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by dustytrails

Just want to say RIP to last years running buddy ..Haley the boxer. She was a rescue dog whose former foster owner thought she was "too debilated" to go out on runs with her owner.
"Posh" , I worked Haley up to thirty minute runs and that crink in her back leg "vanished" permanently.

The only time Haley was really happy was when she was running. I thought ya'll would understand. sniff sniff

Sorry to hear it Linda. It's hard to lose a pet, especially a running buddy.

Steve
2013-12-28 2:13 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Missouri

Linda, sorry to hear about Haley.  We're at the point where we really should think about euthanizing our oldest cat.  We've had her for 16 years (she's 18 yo) and is having health problems but it's hard to do - the kids are pretty attached to her.  The loss of any pet is tough. 

I went out to the park for my run this morning.  It's just too nice to be inside although temps are supposed to drop back down to normal (highs in the 30's) tomorrow.  Got to take advantage of it while I can!  

Janet

2013-12-28 2:53 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by dustytrails WOWIE...that was a LOT of catching up on posts ! Congrats SCOTT ! I think your old swimming routine mentality kicked in for you. LOL Just think thirty years from now our kids will be in this group vying for the "Legacy of the BLACK DOG MUG ." Just want to say RIP to last years running buddy ..Haley the boxer. She was a rescue dog whose former foster owner thought she was "too debilated" to go out on runs with her owner. "Posh" , I worked Haley up to thirty minute runs and that crink in her back leg "vanished" permanently. The only time Haley was really happy was when she was running. I thought ya'll would understand. sniff sniff

Sorry about the loss of your running partner. But wow, how great that you gave Haley a second chance and a great life.

2013-12-28 3:17 PM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
So, so sorry. I am a huge dog lover and have shared many miles with them.
2013-12-28 3:24 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Sorry to hear about the loss of Haley. It hurts when we lose them.

2013-12-28 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

WOWIE...that was a LOT of catching up on posts !

Congrats SCOTT ! I think your old swimming routine mentality kicked in for you. LOL

Just think thirty years from now our kids will be in this group vying for the "Legacy of the BLACK DOG MUG ."

Awww, I am sorry to hear about Haley. She was lucky to have you to spend her final years with
2013-12-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4919474

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
I am devoted to my dogs as well. Sorry you will be running without your buddy!
2013-12-28 7:10 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Just want to say RIP to last years running buddy ..Haley the boxer. She was a rescue dog whose former foster owner thought she was "too debilated" to go out on runs with her owner. "Posh" , I worked Haley up to thirty minute runs and that crink in her back leg "vanished" permanently. The only time Haley was really happy was when she was running. I thought ya'll would understand. sniff sniff

Linda,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your puppy.  I know exactly what you are feeling having lost my two German Shepherds within a month of each other.  Truly it does get better.

2013-12-28 7:15 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple

Ah well, just a couple of thoughts as I lay here continuing to wait for this head cold vice to let go of my head and neck. It better be gone by Jan 1st! Stu

Stu,

I feel your pain.  Mine started as a head cold a couple weeks ago and dropped in to my chest last week.  Thinking seriously about going to urgent care but I suspect they are going to say, "Take a couple aspirin and call in the morning."  I tried to go for a run this morning and got about 100 yards before I realized the foolishness of attempting anything strenuous.  Like you I am laying on the couch, doing the only exercise I seem to be able to do - channel up, channel down.  At least I will have a good grip!!!

2013-12-29 5:57 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Newport News
guys,
It must be contagious I have a head cold too, no training this weekend. I'm sure we all be out SRB soon.

2013-12-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

guys,
It must be contagious I have a head cold too, no training this weekend. I'm sure we all be out SRB soon.

The head cold bug got me too. I am either a big whimp or have a low threshold for colds, I'm going with the latter. It really stinks because after seeing Steve's workout schedule for this week I wasn't going to coast going into the new year.

Feeling a little bit better today, hoping to be able to hit masters class tomorrow early AM.
2013-12-29 11:01 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Champion
Bronze member

You all keep your head colds to yourself, please? This is the first holiday season in 7 years where I was not sick the entire time. I would really, really, really like to keep the healthy trend going.

Fingers crossed. If the pool is open, I am going to be able to go swimming tomorrow for the first time in AGES. Definitely since before my surgery. I cannot wait to get my head wet. Though, I feel for the folks at the pool having to witness the flailing.

2013-12-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
With all due respect to the cold sufferers here, I hope my antivirus software is updated so I don't catch whatever cold bug seems to be going around this group, lol.

On the training front, I'm new to swimming, so I started swimming last week at my local YMCA. I've set up my calendar to get in at least 3 swims/week over the next five months before my first Sprint in June. My trainer suggested using swimming as an alternative to running on days I'm not doing speed work or longer distance runs this winter. I'm hoping this approach will not only prepare me for the swim portion, but also help keep my legs a bit more rested during my training than if I ran 5 times/week.

Today was my fourth time in the pool. My focus has been the same for each workout 1) not drowning in front of the little kids 2) working on bilateral breathing and 3) improving my basic form.

Scott, as a raw rookie, I read and found your swimming tips very helpful. As I get underway, I'm sure I'll have more questions. For starters I'm hoping that just getting into the pool 3 times a/week will help me build a bit of endurance. I've also signed up for my local tri club, so I'll attend their swim clinics to get some coaching.

2013-12-29 2:24 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by DJP_19

With all due respect to the cold sufferers here, I hope my antivirus software is updated so I don't catch whatever cold bug seems to be going around this group, lol.

Pretty funny!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18703 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.