BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-04 10:16 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Today was my first day back in the water since the middle of December. My family and I were visiting family in California for the holidays, so I wasn't able to score any training opportunities. 

Anyways, I kept the yards down, as I know I'm going to have to build up to where I was before. In one hour, I was able to fit in 1750 yds. It felt so good to be back in the water! --Tom

Nice! I've successfully avoided the pool in the recent past.

I'm trying to remember the last time i swam and can't! I have to get back in the pool very, very soon though

2020-01-04 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Speaking of training logs, it looks like FitnessSyncer is working -- at least to get the basic data from Zwift > FitnessSyncer > BT.  I'll do a Sufferfest yoga something this weekend and see how that goes.

Fingers crossed!

2020-01-04 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Speaking of training logs, it looks like FitnessSyncer is working -- at least to get the basic data from Zwift > FitnessSyncer > BT.  I'll do a Sufferfest yoga something this weekend and see how that goes.

If I can remember to save my riding tomorrow, I'll see how it works.

2020-01-04 2:21 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Ha ha!! I guess that is what makes me unique: I love the pool!  --TS

2020-01-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

If I went too long without getting in the water, I'd probably go through chlorine withdrawals!!  --TS

2020-01-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think I am going through chlorine withdrawal! Probably another two weeks or so before I get the all-clear to swim. Hoping it is less painful with all the metalwork out of my elbow. It's probably not my best event (although I often place similarly on the swim and run in races, I think it's more due to the fact that a lot of people in my AG are weak swimmers), but it's been my favorite part of most races. I guess I just like having the skills and confidence to handle most swims, even IM distance, without much stress, and knowing that's not true for a lot of my competition.

2020-01-04 9:11 PM

User image

NAME: Nate

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava N8 P & Garmin N8-P

STORY: I have done triathlon for a few years. Built up to my first 70.3 in October of 2017. Later that year I did my first marathon and then did the Goofy challenge at WDW in January of 2018. In 2018 I joined this group and only completed a local sprint. I did a Ruck event and started backpacking. Since then I have hiked most of the Appalachian trial miles in NC/TN. Ultimately I look forward to doing new things and being active. I have committed to two races in 2020 and hope to hike 80-100 miles in April and the Wonderland Trail (93 miles) in July. I would like to try kayak camping.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 kiddos. I work full time as a trauma surgeon. I have a dog and a cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have spent the last 10 weeks getting into HM shape with a single bike and if lucky a swim every week. I will be entering my 20 Week 70.3 plan very soon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
Azalea Sprint triathlon in March - Registered.
White Lake Sprint and Olympic - possible
IM 70.3 VA Blue Ridge in June Registered.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Motivation

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Previous a member. Still in the Strava Group. I have a decent level of experience but certainly not an expert.
2020-01-05 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Today was my first day back in the water since the middle of December. My family and I were visiting family in California for the holidays, so I wasn't able to score any training opportunities. 

Anyways, I kept the yards down, as I know I'm going to have to build up to where I was before. In one hour, I was able to fit in 1750 yds. It felt so good to be back in the water! --Tom

I'm trying to remember the last time i swam and can't! I have to get back in the pool very, very soon though

I was having the same thing with my bike. Not a single minute logged last year - yikes!! i am guessing you actually swam last year

finally  got on the trainer this week! My poor backside. It's gonna be a slow build getting my butt ready again. And it's the snowy and dark of winter now so it's all trainer time. 

2020-01-05 9:36 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by nrpoulin NAME: Nate OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava N8 P & Garmin N8-P STORY: I have done triathlon for a few years. Built up to my first 70.3 in October of 2017. Later that year I did my first marathon and then did the Goofy challenge at WDW in January of 2018. In 2018 I joined this group and only completed a local sprint. I did a Ruck event and started backpacking. Since then I have hiked most of the Appalachian trial miles in NC/TN. Ultimately I look forward to doing new things and being active. I have committed to two races in 2020 and hope to hike 80-100 miles in April and the Wonderland Trail (93 miles) in July. I would like to try kayak camping. FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 kiddos. I work full time as a trauma surgeon. I have a dog and a cat. CURRENT TRAINING: I have spent the last 10 weeks getting into HM shape with a single bike and if lucky a swim every week. I will be entering my 20 Week 70.3 plan very soon. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Azalea Sprint triathlon in March - Registered. White Lake Sprint and Olympic - possible IM 70.3 VA Blue Ridge in June Registered. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Motivation WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Previous a member. Still in the Strava Group. I have a decent level of experience but certainly not an expert.

Welcome back, Nate!

I don't see you in the Strava group, you may need to request to join: https://www.strava.com/clubs/manatees

2020-01-05 9:38 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

I was having the same thing with my bike. Not a single minute logged last year - yikes!! i am guessing you actually swam last year

finally  got on the trainer this week! My poor backside. It's gonna be a slow build getting my butt ready again. And it's the snowy and dark of winter now so it's all trainer time. 

My winter training plan does not call for swimming. I am finding that I don't actually miss it 

2020-01-05 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Jayne, I just requested into the Strava group. 

Thanks!

Mark

2020-01-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Champion
Bronze member

And, bringing up the rear!

NAME: Robin

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava, Facebook: Robin Proctor (warning, I post political), Garmin

STORY: I started triathlon out of the blue at 48. I was firmly seated on the couch when i decided I was tired of being fat. Lost weigh, did my first sprint and felt like a goddess! Since then I have been balancing life, husbands scary ill health (better now Thank all that is good!!), my random ill health and trying to continue being active. Weigh has crept up, training went to the toilet with chronic pain and subsequent crappy mental state. Several surgeries in the last few years and good meds are gonna make the difference this year. My goal this year it to get a 70/3 done before my next birthday containing a 0. (This June!) and to have fun!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 24 years with 2 grown step kids and one granddaughter. I took early retirement with the state of NC where I oversaw the cleaned up of hazardous waste sites and spills. I have the perfect dog and and 3 elderly cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: basically coming from the couch starting it all over after silly illnesses and some chronic pain issues

IM 70.3 Choo in May- Registered.

I have three races deferred from last year that I hope to do: Lake Logan Olympic, Outerbanks Olympic and Lake Lure Sprint

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Just friggin DOOOOO EEEETTTTT!!!!

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Previous a member. I get so much inspiration from this group and I am really supportive and love a good meetup!

2020-01-05 2:34 PM
in reply to: #5264887

Is it too late to join this group?
2020-01-05 3:02 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Buckshot

Jayne, I just requested into the Strava group. 

Thanks!

Mark

you're in!

2020-01-05 3:03 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

And, bringing up the rear!

NAME: Robin

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava, Facebook: Robin Proctor (warning, I post political), Garmin

STORY: I started triathlon out of the blue at 48. I was firmly seated on the couch when i decided I was tired of being fat. Lost weigh, did my first sprint and felt like a goddess! Since then I have been balancing life, husbands scary ill health (better now Thank all that is good!!), my random ill health and trying to continue being active. Weigh has crept up, training went to the toilet with chronic pain and subsequent crappy mental state. Several surgeries in the last few years and good meds are gonna make the difference this year. My goal this year it to get a 70/3 done before my next birthday containing a 0. (This June!) and to have fun!

FAMILY STATUS: Married 24 years with 2 grown step kids and one granddaughter. I took early retirement with the state of NC where I oversaw the cleaned up of hazardous waste sites and spills. I have the perfect dog and and 3 elderly cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: basically coming from the couch starting it all over after silly illnesses and some chronic pain issues

IM 70.3 Choo in May- Registered.

I have three races deferred from last year that I hope to do: Lake Logan Olympic, Outerbanks Olympic and Lake Lure Sprint

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Just friggin DOOOOO EEEETTTTT!!!!

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Previous a member. I get so much inspiration from this group and I am really supportive and love a good meetup!

Welcome back, Robin!

2020-01-05 3:04 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Is it too late to join this group?

Nope, jump on in!  Just post a bio and join in!

2020-01-06 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Hello Manatees!

How's the week going so far on Monday? School holidays are done as of today so everyone it seems is back at it.

Question for the group: might there be interest in a JoGo challenge? We have done this in the past to provide some accountability for certain goals: weight, activity frequency, etc

2020-01-06 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Another question: your favourite HR test for both the bike and run to reset your zones?? I am using Garmin data at the moment but feel like i need to update ... 

2020-01-06 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Great question and I am standing by for suggestions as well.  

2020-01-06 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Hello Manatees!

How's the week going so far on Monday? School holidays are done as of today so everyone it seems is back at it.

Question for the group: might there be interest in a JoGo challenge? We have done this in the past to provide some accountability for certain goals: weight, activity frequency, etc

I am unfamiliar with JoGo; but would be up for it. 

2020-01-06 10:07 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hello Manatees!

Yes for the challenge!!!

2020-01-06 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Another question: your favourite HR test for both the bike and run to reset your zones?? I am using Garmin data at the moment but feel like i need to update ... 

I believe the better (v Garmin) way to set HR zones is to do a TT for both bike and run. For the bike it would be the 20 minute portion of an FTP test. For the run, after a good warm up, do a 20 minute best effort TT.  For both take 95% of the average HR of the 20 minute test and that will be your threshold HR for each sport. From there you can calculate your zones. Endurancepath.com has a calculator that you can use that will do it for you when you plug in your threshold value. 

Full disclosure: I don't actually train by HR! 

2020-01-06 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hello Manatees!

Yes! If we are very nice, maybe Chris will revive the spreadsheet for us!

2020-01-06 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Well... for the run, I enter a 5k.

2020-01-06 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I believe the better (v Garmin) way to set HR zones is to do a TT for both bike and run. For the bike it would be the 20 minute portion of an FTP test. For the run, after a good warm up, do a 20 minute best effort TT.  For both take 95% of the average HR of the 20 minute test and that will be your threshold HR for each sport. From there you can calculate your zones. Endurancepath.com has a calculator that you can use that will do it for you when you plug in your threshold value. 

Full disclosure: I don't actually train by HR! 

Hands is correct.  I'm just cr*p at pushing myself hard when it's just me. Plus races are fun.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127