BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-12-16 2:55 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

I’m finally able to come up for air for a few minutes.  Last week was a conference and this week calls and calls and calls.

Kirsten and Karen - Happy marking…  Or something like that.

Stacey - ouch! I hope that the jellyfish stings are healing up nicely.  Other than that, how was the race?

Melanie - The Widows won! Woo hoo!

Chris - I’m glad that you had an enjoyable getaway.

Laura - You’re a fishy fish! You are faster than me in already!  I learned to swim when I was about 40 and while I feel confident in the water, fast I am not.

Ben - I hope that PT is less painful this week :-/

Robin - I hope that you had the most of your snow day ;-)

Regarding where is winter?  Two or three years ago we had very very mild weather in December and we paid for every degree of December warmth in February. Meanwhile, I’ve been running in shorts and t-shirts.

Lisa - Congratulations on the beginning of weight bearing! PROGRESS!  With any luck at all, the boot will be history by the new year!  Oh, and stationary bike and swim too!  Nice!  With my shoulder injury, I found that spin bikes were easier to get on/off than a trainer but I ended up using the trainer more because I could schedule it more easily.  Plus I really didn’t want to be in class.

Chris - I use Facebook somewhat reluctantly.  Mostly photos and stuff like my tri club.  I really don’t like group discussion in FB because there is just so much cr*p to wade through.  I also use Instagram, Twitter and Strava.

Great summary, Janyne.  I'm still not using the computer much so I'm yet again way behind on the Manatee news.  I'm going to be lazy and just say x2 on all the well wishes and congrats. As for winter, I'm in the same boat as Robin, being in the same area.  I was supposed to run 3 mi. yesterday.  Didn't happen.  There was no way I was going to go outside and running 24 laps on the 200 m track at the rec center really didn't appeal.  Luckily, DH didn't get home with the car until 5:30 and the rec center closed at 6 due to the weather.  Whew.  Going to do a bit of a trainer ride today and walk the dogs to get my lazy azz off the couch.  Looks like I may be going back to work next week and I'll admit, I'm not really looking forward to it. On the other hand, I'll hopefully be able to check in here more often since I'll be on the computer most of the day.  That rates a for sure!!

Chris, since I've been off work, I really haven't been on any social media much because of the computer use issues. I'm only on FB for my tri club and RWB these days via my phone.  I'll occasionally look at the "news feed" but only stalk and "like" other people's posts.  I only look at Manatee photos on IG and have a linked-in account but it's totally out of date and I never use it. Strava - just for fun, really.

Glad you are getting better. I was going to comment on your FB post yesterday about not making it to the run but decided silence is golden. Funny that you are going to work on a week when most people are off

2015-12-16 4:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

I may be circling back around to an earlier discussion, but I have been working through some social media stuff, both personal and for my church lately and it really struck me that there are a lot of options and ideas on how best to use that stuff.  I use FB, Twitter, Instagram, and I'll include Strava, since it sort of fits. I use each a bit differently, FB for more personal friends and family stuff, Twitter for company, education, news, etc and Strava is just workout sharing. And Instagram is kind of used intermittantly with any/all 3.

So, how is everyone using theirs? I know I've tried Hootsuite and Buffer to pull things together in a collective dashboard, but I haven't quite figured that whole mess out either and I'm not sure I ever will. Is anyone using any tools to make it a bit easier to handle?  And does anyone have anyone in particular that they would suggest following?

I just stick with FB. I don't want to move between eighteen hundred specialized sites. I can navigate all the sites just fine, just gets tedious checking so many things.

I only have the Manatees (can't go without my daily fix) and FB. We only have FB because that is how most of the dog breeders communicate, we post on it very rarely. Apart from that I'm pretty old school in that I still phone people that I want to talk to (and there isn't many of them). I truely am an introvert
2015-12-16 4:06 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

I’m finally able to come up for air for a few minutes.  Last week was a conference and this week calls and calls and calls.

Stacey - ouch! I hope that the jellyfish stings are healing up nicely.  Other than that, how was the race?

Laura - You’re a fishy fish! You are faster than me in already!  I learned to swim when I was about 40 and while I feel confident in the water, fast I am not.

Regarding where is winter?  Two or three years ago we had very very mild weather in December and we paid for every degree of December warmth in February. Meanwhile, I’ve been running in shorts and t-shirts.

Lisa - Congratulations on the beginning of weight bearing! PROGRESS!  With any luck at all, the boot will be history by the new year!  Oh, and stationary bike and swim too!  Nice!  With my shoulder injury, I found that spin bikes were easier to get on/off than a trainer but I ended up using the trainer more because I could schedule it more easily.  Plus I really didn’t want to be in class.

Chris - I use Facebook somewhat reluctantly.  Mostly photos and stuff like my tri club.  I really don’t like group discussion in FB because there is just so much cr*p to wade through.  I also use Instagram, Twitter and Strava.

Great summary, Janyne.  I'm still not using the computer much so I'm yet again way behind on the Manatee news.  I'm going to be lazy and just say x2 on all the well wishes and congrats. As for winter, I'm in the same boat as Robin, being in the same area.  I was supposed to run 3 mi. yesterday.  Didn't happen.  There was no way I was going to go outside and running 24 laps on the 200 m track at the rec center really didn't appeal.  Luckily, DH didn't get home with the car until 5:30 and the rec center closed at 6 due to the weather.  Whew.  Going to do a bit of a trainer ride today and walk the dogs to get my lazy azz off the couch.  Looks like I may be going back to work next week and I'll admit, I'm not really looking forward to it. On the other hand, I'll hopefully be able to check in here more often since I'll be on the computer most of the day.  That rates a for sure!!

Chris, since I've been off work, I really haven't been on any social media much because of the computer use issues. I'm only on FB for my tri club and RWB these days via my phone.  I'll occasionally look at the "news feed" but only stalk and "like" other people's posts.  I only look at Manatee photos on IG and have a linked-in account but it's totally out of date and I never use it. Strava - just for fun, really.

I'm glad that you are finally sorted enough to go back to work. I understand that you aren't looking forward to it. But at least you can have some money coming in why you decide what you want to do and look for something new.
2015-12-16 4:08 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Glad you are still with us Janyne.

My race was pretty average really. I have done a race report for my records but I didn't make it public because to be honest I didn't want people to waste their time reading it.
2015-12-16 9:49 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

I may be circling back around to an earlier discussion, but I have been working through some social media stuff, both personal and for my church lately and it really struck me that there are a lot of options and ideas on how best to use that stuff.  I use FB, Twitter, Instagram, and I'll include Strava, since it sort of fits. I use each a bit differently, FB for more personal friends and family stuff, Twitter for company, education, news, etc and Strava is just workout sharing. And Instagram is kind of used intermittantly with any/all 3.

So, how is everyone using theirs? I know I've tried Hootsuite and Buffer to pull things together in a collective dashboard, but I haven't quite figured that whole mess out either and I'm not sure I ever will. Is anyone using any tools to make it a bit easier to handle?  And does anyone have anyone in particular that they would suggest following?

I just stick with FB. I don't want to move between eighteen hundred specialized sites. I can navigate all the sites just fine, just gets tedious checking so many things.

I only have the Manatees (can't go without my daily fix) and FB. We only have FB because that is how most of the dog breeders communicate, we post on it very rarely. Apart from that I'm pretty old school in that I still phone people that I want to talk to (and there isn't many of them). I truely am an introvert

Think you're handling it well if you like being on the phone. Awkward pauses to think it over and having to deal with a live person in real time! *shudder*

2015-12-16 10:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing great. I'm sorry for being on hiatus this week; my father died on Monday in a pretty tragic and mysterious accident. I am doing well. I am planning to go for a bike and run tomorrow as I feel the grief is coming.
I wish you a great week, I promise I will try to read your posts, I wish all the best to any upcoming racers, as well as DL's.
Mary

2015-12-17 12:35 AM
in reply to: #5145806

User image

Master
Oh my goodness, Mary I am so sorry! What a terrible thing to have to go through. Please take care of yourself. Sending hugs.
2015-12-17 2:34 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by marysia83 Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing great. I'm sorry for being on hiatus this week; my father died on Monday in a pretty tragic and mysterious accident. I am doing well. I am planning to go for a bike and run tomorrow as I feel the grief is coming. I wish you a great week, I promise I will try to read your posts, I wish all the best to any upcoming racers, as well as DL's. Mary

so sorry Mary! Condolences on your loss.

2015-12-17 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Glad you are still with us Janyne. My race was pretty average really. I have done a race report for my records but I didn't make it public because to be honest I didn't want people to waste their time reading it.

I've had races like that.  Kinda meh.  Or raced like my turkey trot where I could just copy last year's race report and paste it in with new times.

2015-12-17 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Think you're handling it well if you like being on the phone. Awkward pauses to think it over and having to deal with a live person in real time! *shudder*

and now you know what my work week has been like!

2015-12-17 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing great. I'm sorry for being on hiatus this week; my father died on Monday in a pretty tragic and mysterious accident. I am doing well. I am planning to go for a bike and run tomorrow as I feel the grief is coming. I wish you a great week, I promise I will try to read your posts, I wish all the best to any upcoming racers, as well as DL's. Mary

Oh no!  How shocking! I am so sorry to hear this!  Please accept our condolences. {{hugs}}

2015-12-17 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary, how sad!  You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

2015-12-17 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

The good thing is that the people I talk to on the phone are all family, so it's much easier.
2015-12-17 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing great. I'm sorry for being on hiatus this week; my father died on Monday in a pretty tragic and mysterious accident. I am doing well. I am planning to go for a bike and run tomorrow as I feel the grief is coming.
I wish you a great week, I promise I will try to read your posts, I wish all the best to any upcoming racers, as well as DL's.
Mary
Oh Mary I'm so sorry!
2015-12-17 8:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Sorry, Mary!

2015-12-17 8:32 AM

Master
Northern IL

Not quite sure I do?

2015-12-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: #5156945

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Mary my heart truly breaks for you. My prayers are with you and your family.
2015-12-17 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Mary

Mary, so sorry for your loss! Please take good care of yourself.
2015-12-17 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Not quite sure I do?

Hello, this is Janyne for Extension Information Technology.  I'm calling to remind you to BACKUP YOUR DAMN COMPUTER.  You should have received an email about it last week.  If you have about five minutes, I can help you get that started...  At this point they often make some excuse and they say they can't find the "rocketship" icon on their taskbar (aka Launchpad)  Then I say something about we'd really feel a lot more comfortable if you had a backup before the end of the year.  blah blah blah

Fun times, I tell you!

2015-12-17 11:46 AM

User image

Mary

Hugs and thoughts are coming your way!
2015-12-17 12:42 PM

Master
Northern IL

Not quite sure I do?

Hello, this is Janyne for Extension Information Technology.  I'm calling to remind you to BACKUP YOUR DAMN COMPUTER.  You should have received an email about it last week.  If you have about five minutes, I can help you get that started...  At this point they often make some excuse and they say they can't find the "rocketship" icon on their taskbar (aka Launchpad)  Then I say something about we'd really feel a lot more comfortable if you had a backup before the end of the year.  blah blah blah

Fun times, I tell you!

Been there to some extent way back in some part time work!

2015-12-17 1:17 PM

User image

Seattle

Hey Mary, so terribly sorry to hear that. Please take care. Death is absolutely effing hard. 

2015-12-17 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Hey all! Thought I would say hello! I am not purposefully neglecting any of your nice inspires or messages, just been swamped.

I am trying to get some RRs done since the few I am doing are part of a series and I would like to track Poo Poo Point Ascent Time Trial

annnnd NB Winter Grand Prix Road Race #1

I was in CA all last week for work and now fully immersed in the holiday shenanigans. I hope you all are doing well! 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-12-17 2:12 PM
2015-12-18 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
So sorry to hear about your father! Always a shock but especially hard at holiday time--my best friend at school recently lost her mom and it's been really hard for her. Swim/bike/run can be a positive way to help deal with grief--it always gives me a sense of peace no matter how bad things get. Sending best wishes to you and your family.
2015-12-18 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
RE social media: I'm kind of antisocial, or old-fashioned, or something. Think I am one of the few people in the world with an Internet connection who doesn't do Facebook or Twitter. Just can't be bothered--I would spend too much time on it, time I don't have. It would come out of sleep or other important things. I don't have an I-phone, or even use my cell phone very often. I just like to live in the real world, enjoy what I'm doing or the person I'm with at the moment without getting distracted by incoming messages or tweets or feeling the need to tweet or post, and interact with people face to face. I don't regret that--recently went on vacation with a colleague who is never without her I-phone or other devices--even at night, she had it on and you could hear when messages or tweets came in. I couldn't live like that!

Honestly, it kind of creeps me out to share a lot of photos or details of my daily life with total strangers. I don't feel the need to tell the world what I think or what I ate for breakfast or whatever! I do have a blog for my classroom and one for some coursework that I did. I also have a Linked-In account but have neglected it as am not currently job-hunting. Will probably update it next year.

I justify my lack of social media use by saying I'm into mindfulness, but it's really not quite that spiritual--I'm quite distractible and know a bad deal when I see it--I would never be able to focus if I had too much social media going on! BT is the only "social media" type thing that I use socially, mainly because I'm one of the only triathletes in the city/country here and it's a source of information, encouragement, comiseration, etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54762 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67326 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28358 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66816 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.