BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-05-21 4:26 PM
in reply to: #4221233

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED
sicone - 2012-05-21 10:16 AM

Elaine, sorry to hear about the crash Hope you recover quickly and it's always a same to hear about terminal damage to bikes.

Like Ryan, I'm considering doing a bit of a HIM sim on Saturday too. I was thinking maybe a 2-2:30hr ride with a 5mile or so run. Hopefully my new tyres will arrive before then to give me a chance to wear them in a bit (set of Pro race 3's for the equivalent of $58)

That's basically my HIM brick.  50ish at HIM effort, then a 4 mile run at HIM effort.

2012-05-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4124687

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ok, here is my pseudo-saga going on currently. We bought my wife's current tri bike at LBS "A" back in August of last year. She loves it. A few of months ago, she started complaining about shifting problems.  it has always shifted kinda hard, but it has SRAM red front to back, and everything says that is just how it works. I have SRAM red on my road bike and actually really like the firmness/sharpness of its shifting (I have Shimano Ultegra on my tri bike and like that too - very quiet and smooth). So she starts dropping her chain, both inside and out. No big deal, I do all our wrenching and I simply do a tune up and it is a little better, but it all the sudden seems to need a different adjustment depending on whether it is in the stand, on the trainer, or on the road. Of course that is aggravating.

Since it seems beyond my knowledge to fix it, we eventually take it back to LBS "A." they adjust it, and it works for them. We get it home, and on the first ride, back to its old tricks. Sometimes it will shift like a champ, other times it drops the chain to the outside, and still others the front derailleur will not even get close enough to rub the chain when trying to shift to the big chain ring.  So they swap the titanium red FD for a steel version, still no good. They take some measurements on the frame and determine the braze on is mounted slightly crooked and actually get a frame replacement on a bike that is 8~9 months old - they are really doing their due-diligence if you ask me. So they build the new frame back up, seems to be working,  but on her next ride, right back at it. LBS "A" is at a loss...

So I take it to LBS "B" where an incredibly well-respected retired pro-team lead mechanic works. He immediately shows me that the front derailleur is not adjusted correctly. I can see it: he is right. He makes the slight adjustment, we both ride the bike - it works great. I get it home, put it in the trainer, and the thing will not shift. I take it out on the road, sometimes it is rock-solid but at other times it will not shift up at all. When it will not shift it seems kind of mushy, otherwise it is crisp. That makes me think it is a cabling issue...

So, today it is back at the shop getting re-cabled, but when I said I really wanted the problem fixed "even if the answer was not something I wanted to hear," the answer I got was that SRAM is crap and I should switch to Shimano. I was prepared for this as I had read enough on the internets about the "SRAM vs. Shimano" debate.

Anyway, I told him that if re-cabling didn't work, I did not care if he had to put Di2 on it so long as he would guarantee that it would work. He said it would not come to that (I was actually a little disappointed) but that if he could not find a problem with the cabling he would replace (at a minimum) the FD, chain and chainrings with shimano. The chainrings are a whole separate issue, as the bike has a Quarq PM on her bike. He had three other bike in the shop (two belong to local pros) on which they had done the same thing with the Quarq.

IMLP is 10 weeks away and I am to the point of just throwing money at this problem so that we can get it fixed ASAP and the beautiful bride does not have to stress over this anymore.

In the end, I am not sure if this is a question or just a vent. Either way, thanks for reading all of that.

2012-05-21 8:04 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Wow, you guys have posted a lot in the last couple of days - apologies if I'm missing anything here.

Elaine - gald to hear that you are okay, even though banged up and bruised.  Very sorry to hear about the bike.  Fingers crossed Fuji can do something, anything, for you.

Fred - glad to see that you may have found something that is now (and will continue) to work for you.

Rudy - as others said, sounds like you were perhaps pushing a little more/harder than you were ready for after coming off an illness.

Jen - it got pretty hot around here this weekend (amazing weather for a long weekend), and I know that I was not ready or accustomed to the heat.  More fluids, and perhaps watching the HR to say if it's telling you anything during the ride.

Jason - great job on the race.  Really nice placing overall (and in AG).  Glad the arm sounds ot have just been something temporary.

Rusty - no swim today since it was a holiday.  We'll see if I can catch and pass you by the end of the month!!

2012-05-21 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4221757

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-21 9:29 PM

Rusty...that's really interesting as I've been having the same issues with my Rival setup on my road bike.  Sometimes I'll drop inside, and sometimes outside.  And sometimes I won't be able to shift up to my big ring unless I'm in the bottom third (hardest gears) of my cassette.  Up until April, it was great...only been a problem for about a month.

I've taken it to my mechanic...who isn't all that experienced, but knows "enough".  He tried to make adjustments to my braze on as he said it looked off.  Same thing.  I've just been "dealing with it" because I haven't been racing on my road bike, and for training rides it's fine.  I just have to shift much more carefully to avoid dropping my chain.

I was going to take a serious look at the problem after my HIM, but I would be very interested to hear what you find out.  I had my cables changed 5 months ago, so I'm not sure it's a cable issue.

2012-05-21 11:50 PM

Champion
Hi everyone. Got back from Vancouver earlier today. Fun weekend but I'm glad I'm home in my own bed tonight. I did a swim workout in the 137m pool on Kitsilano Beach. It's a pretty snazzy place to do a workout in with the ocean right there and the views of the city and mountains are fantastic! I have some pics of the pool but I'll have to post later when I'm on a comp. Might try to et a short run in tomorrow am before call. 4 call in the next 10 days and 2 exams. Will just be happy with whatever I am able to sneak in. Hope you all had good weekends. I'll try to catch up in the am!

2012-05-22 8:05 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

9.75 mile run this morning and heading to the pool later.

Rudy:  I think Rusty hit it on the head.  I do not think you should necessarily question your fitness.  There were alot of things going against you before you headed out.  You likely started out dehydrated with the sickness and it got worse from there. 

I have heard that bike course is nonstop up and down!

Rusty:  I am a complete moron when it comes to fixing bikes.  However that would be incredibly frustrating.  I agree, when stuff like that happens, any dollar amount to get the headache gone seems worth it.

I was considering doing another 10K this weekend just down the road but I was surprised how much the last one took out of me and the subsequent recovery....so not going to.  Really need to focus on getting this race simulation done and cannot risk another 4-5 day recovery period from a race.

2012-05-22 8:30 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning all!  Been busy here lately!

Elaine, I hope you get feeling better quickly, had to be scary!!  Sorry about your bike too!

Jason, great race! 

Fred, I hope your run issues continue to improve!

5 mile run for me this morning, felt good!

2012-05-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4221757

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Rusty,My first thought was the front derailleur was not adjusted correctly. Tell me was the bottom of the front derailluer gap above the chainring out of specs. This would be looking at it eye level from the right side. That gap should be 1-2mm. The other thing I thought of was the cabling. Should replace the cable and outer casing. How many miles are on the chain? A worn chain can cause shifting issues. Then again you probably would've noticed it more than on the rear cassette. I hope they figure it out for you.
2012-05-22 8:39 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Rusty,

I am having a similar problem on my Speed Concept with the Rival setup.  I don't drop the chain at all, but I can get it to shift relatively smooth in the big ring (it is never as smooth as the DA on my road bike), but when I drop to the small ring up front it wont hardly shift at all and is real jumpy.  My local guy that I prefer, but is not at a Trek dealer, has thrown in the towel.  He believes it is a cable issue but not a defective cable.  He thinks it has something to do with the way they are routed coming into the frame from the aero bars causing it to bind. I need to get it over to where I bought it, which is also a very good shop, but I haven't had the chance yet. 

I hope you are able to figure it out soon, I know how frustrating it is!

2012-05-22 10:55 AM

Pro

Morning, group!

I'm doing ok. A pain on the side of my shin just above my ankle had me really worried yesterday. Now the bruise is starting to show up, so I'm hoping it's just a deep bruise and nothing more.

As for bikes, my options are:

1. LBS worked with Fuji on a replacement frame. They'll give me a 2008 Fuji Aloha frame (new) for $350. It's a size smaller than mine, which would be perfect, because mine is a bit big. BUT it runs 700c wheels, and mine are 650. I could swap components, but I'd need at the very least wheels and a stem.

2. LBS offered me a Giant Trinity, new, for $750. http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/road/2346/32197/?collections_id=4 I attempted to ride the Small yesterday, but without cutting the seat post, I couldn't reach the pedals... They built up an XS for me to come try today. 

3. Rev3 has a deal with Blue, so I could get a brand new bottom-of-the-line ride for $1100. http://rideblue.com/triadal.php (if our discount works on last year's model, then I can get the next step up for the same price - the sponsorship guy is working on answering that)

So... if you were me, what would you pick? Unfortunately, money is a factor.

I'm still trolling the internet for other options. I'd go with the Fuji replacement in a second if it didn't mean buying new wheels. Wheels are expensive, and with my crash involving my wheel failing, I'm not willing to just buy the cheapest set I can find.

2012-05-22 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4222726

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
ratherbeswimming - 2012-05-22 11:55 AM

Morning, group!

I'm doing ok. A pain on the side of my shin just above my ankle had me really worried yesterday. Now the bruise is starting to show up, so I'm hoping it's just a deep bruise and nothing more.

As for bikes, my options are:

1. LBS worked with Fuji on a replacement frame. They'll give me a 2008 Fuji Aloha frame (new) for $350. It's a size smaller than mine, which would be perfect, because mine is a bit big. BUT it runs 700c wheels, and mine are 650. I could swap components, but I'd need at the very least wheels and a stem.

2. LBS offered me a Giant Trinity, new, for $750. http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/road/2346/32197/?collections_id=4 I attempted to ride the Small yesterday, but without cutting the seat post, I couldn't reach the pedals... They built up an XS for me to come try today. 

3. Rev3 has a deal with Blue, so I could get a brand new bottom-of-the-line ride for $1100. http://rideblue.com/triadal.php (if our discount works on last year's model, then I can get the next step up for the same price - the sponsorship guy is working on answering that)

So... if you were me, what would you pick? Unfortunately, money is a factor.

I'm still trolling the internet for other options. I'd go with the Fuji replacement in a second if it didn't mean buying new wheels. Wheels are expensive, and with my crash involving my wheel failing, I'm not willing to just buy the cheapest set I can find.

First get the Bike frame that fit you, then these options IMO.

Replacing your frame with the Fuji is not the cheapest.  Wheels, build and you’re still stuck with the 10 year old components.

I am not a fan or the Sora (Giant) or Tiagra (Blue) components that come on these.  I would get the Giant then ride the #%*) out of the components.  Then replace the rear and front derailleur.  The wheel on the Giant are not great either but they are more aero then the Blue. 

Besides I like the color of the Giant the best.    Just me.......

EDIT

btw tell the LBS you'll give them $700 for the Giant........ 

See what they say.   

Edited by tasr 2012-05-22 11:33 AM
2012-05-22 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4222799

Pro
tasr - 2012-05-22 12:22 PM 

First get the Bike frame that fit you, then these options IMO.

Replacing your frame with the Fuji is not the cheapest.  Wheels, build and you’re still stuck with the 10 year components.

I am not a fan or the Sora (Giant) or Tiagra (Blue) components that come on these.  I would get the Giant then ride the #%*) out of the components.  Then replace the rear and front derailleur.  The wheel on the Giant are not great either but they are more aero then the Blue. 

Besides I like the color of the Giant the best.    Just me.......

But I like my red bike!

The Blue and the Fuji will fit. I'm trying out the Giant today to see if that will work, but it should.

I'm really hoping to just stumble across a killer deal on a used bike, but that might just be wishful thinking.

I think if I can get the 2011 Blue Triad SP (SRAM Rival components) for the team discount price, I'm gonna go for it... but that might just be wishful thinking. 

2012-05-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4222799

Pro

EDIT

See what they say.   

Very doubtful. It's on their floor with a price of $949. The $750 was offered while discussing Fuji crash replacement.

2012-05-22 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4222827

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
ratherbeswimming - 2012-05-22 12:30 PM

EDIT

See what they say.   

Very doubtful. It's on their floor with a price of $949. The $750 was offered while discussing Fuji crash replacement.

It will not hurt to ask. 

Was that a 2009 model?

2012-05-22 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4222844

Pro
tasr - 2012-05-22 12:37 PM
ratherbeswimming - 2012-05-22 12:30 PM

EDIT

See what they say.   

It will not hurt to ask. 

Was that a 2009 model?

I think so.

2012-05-22 12:26 PM

Regular
Everywhere
2012-05-22 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4222992

Pro
Blinddave - 2012-05-22 1:26 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/triathlon/18157425

this sucks!

Such a shame

(that people said that to her, that she felt the way she did, that she's retiring... everything)

2012-05-23 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4224180

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-23 8:51 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

weight 207 this AM

ran 11 miles last night and felt AWESOME!!! it was my fastest 11 miles ever, and had i done 2.1 more miles i woulda beat my HM PR by about 10 mins. That certainly helps the mental state i am in, sometimes this sport is as much mental as physical.

that was refreshing after a very tough weekend of training, i was breathing well, my legs felt strong, i was able to change pace at will, took a couple ibuprofen last night before bed and legs feel really good this AM.

I also slept with my new CEP compression sleeves, i had never used compression before, so wanted to see the affect, i was pleasantly surprised.

i am finally feeling normal, i have about 4 days worth of antibiotics left, so i will get a full week off drugs prior to the race which is good.

Happy Rudy today, have lots of hard training coming up in the next week, then mini taper for Rev3 another really hard week right after, then week long taper for Patriot.

2012-05-23 8:54 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Thoughts from the long course athletes.

The CT State TT champs are the day before Rev3, it is 10 miles and about 500ft climbing. I usually get a hard mixed tempo ride in prior to a race to wake the legs up and open the muscles up.

What are your thoughts on doing the TT, it should take about 22-25 mins, and i am really using Rev3 as a set up for Patriot, i would love to say i am not "racing" Rev3, but that would be a lie, i race every race.

2012-05-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4224749

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Rudedog55 - 2012-05-23 7:51 AM

I also slept with my new CEP compression sleeves, .

Don't sleep in sleeves, they cause blood to pool in your feet and cut off circulation too much. Sleep in the full socks.
2012-05-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4224760

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Rudedog55 - 2012-05-23 7:54 AM

The CT State TT champs are the day before Rev3, it is 10 miles and about 500ft climbing. I usually get a hard mixed tempo ride in prior to a race to wake the legs up and open the muscles up.

What are your thoughts on doing the TT, it should take about 22-25 mins, and i am really using Rev3 as a set up for Patriot, i would love to say i am not "racing" Rev3, but that would be a lie, i race every race.

I wouldn't.
2012-05-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4224975

Elite
Ontario
bryancd - 2012-05-23 11:12 AM

I wouldn't.

Bryan - what do you do the day before an HIM?

2012-05-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4225094

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
GoFaster - 2012-05-23 9:49 AM

bryancd - 2012-05-23 11:12 AM

I wouldn't.

Bryan - what do you do the day before an HIM?

Go for a 30min ride and 15min run, easy effort.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108