General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl Is anyone from here also on the Chattanooga FB page?? 

I am on it, but haven't posted a lot.  I still have Florida this year so I haven't really looked past that, although what I have seen they are having a little more fun there!

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Is anyone from here also on the Chattanooga FB page?? 

Yes

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Rogillio So only 1 year and 1 week till we toe the line at IM Chatt! I have set the bar pretty high for myself and it's a little embarrassing but I will share my 'storey'. At the doctor’s office 31 July '13 and I weighed 350 lbs. Yikes. The doctor said I was too heavy. Thank your Doctor Obvious. I am 6'3" and have always been a big guy but I was 255 when I did my last IM in 2008. So starting in August I started swimming regularly. When they announced IMChatt I thought that was the thing I needed to keep me focused. I needed a deadline to keep me from procrastinating. So now I am swimming 3,000 yds 5x a week in the morning, walking for an hour 4 times a week in the evenings and biking 30 min/day at lunch. I’m staying to about 1,500 calories during the week and no alcohol. On the weekends I let my hair down and eat pizza and have some beers or wine or JD. I’m down 30 lbs so far and have a sporty goal of getting down to 200 lbs by next Sept. My plan is to continue with the s/b/r for weight loss and base building thru the fall and winter and then start serious training in the spring. I want to lost most of the weight before I start training as it is hard to lose weight and fuel your runs and biking gains. I’m worried that my knees are not going to hold up to the runs…..I’m still too heavy to start running. I’ll wait till I get under 275 before I start running again and then mostly on the TM so I get the cushion of the springboard. I have only run and biked few times in the last 2+ years. I'm almost going from couch-to-IM....or IM-to-couch-to-IM. As long as I am careful and don't get injurred, I know I can lose the weight and be in IM shape come next Sept. I can swim the 2.4 miles now even at 320 lbs so I'm not worried about the swim. The run worries because I've had knee issues.....surgery on both knees. My thinking is, if I can get down in the neighborhood of 200 lbs, I will hammer the bike...and give myself enough time to run/walk the marathon. I will continue to post my weight over the next year as I see that as critical to my success next Sept.

Firstly - congrats on how far you've already come Mike - being down 30lbs since July 31st is freakin' impressive! 

Secondly - keep at it.  You know you can do the distance, you've done it before, you can do it again.

Thirdly - Don't worry too much about the run right now.  Get yourself to where you can hammer on the bike and do what you have to do to finish the marathon.  This coming from a girl who's had her right knee reconstructed twice and I know what it's like to run on joints that are less than 100%. Not fun.

Fourthly (is that a word?) - You ROCK and I think it's awesome you're taking on this challenge!! 

Thanks Monica!
in reply to: Rogillio

I don't think so. IMKY was a TT start on ~ 2 second intervals. I think this is gonna be a barge start where they put a few hundred on a barge and drag it out to the center of the river, sound the horn and everyone jumps in. I'm not sure how they decide who is on what barge but presumably it is by AG.

Not even close... For those that have seen the swim start area, it is a 25 foot tall embankment with huge rocks! We will build steps to get athletes from the Riverwalk, over the rocks, down to the barge (that will be perpendicular to the shoreline). From there, athletes will walk down ramps to floating docks where they will enter the water.
in reply to: kenj

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by kenj

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl Is anyone from here also on the Chattanooga FB page?? 

I am on it, but haven't posted a lot.  I still have Florida this year so I haven't really looked past that, although what I have seen they are having a little more fun there!

I know how you feel - I still have B2B in just over 4 weeks (OMG - PANIC!) and I'm having trouble thinking about IMChoo other than to get acquainted with some of the group. 

in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by bhmyrick

I don't think so. IMKY was a TT start on ~ 2 second intervals. I think this is gonna be a barge start where they put a few hundred on a barge and drag it out to the center of the river, sound the horn and everyone jumps in. I'm not sure how they decide who is on what barge but presumably it is by AG.

Not even close... For those that have seen the swim start area, it is a 25 foot tall embankment with huge rocks! We will build steps to get athletes from the Riverwalk, over the rocks, down to the barge (that will be perpendicular to the shoreline). From there, athletes will walk down ramps to floating docks where they will enter the water.

I was kinda close. :-)

in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Originally posted by runswithcrazydog
Yes

Me too!

So I'm leaning towards the Be Iron Fit plan.  My other consideration is the advanced plan here on BT.  Has anyone used the BT plan? Experience with it? I used the beginner plan for my first 2.

Edited by emferg 2013-09-25 4:48 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

Master
Charlotte, NC
I am as well.

User image

Is anyone from here also on the Chattanooga FB page?? 

the IMCHOO '14 page? Of Course!!
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Regular
Im on Chatt FB page as well. And I live here so anyone want local tips or whatever give me a shout.
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bhmyrick

In a TT start? Rolling start?

in reply to: hornjs

User image

Originally posted by hornjs

Im on Chatt FB page as well. And I live here so anyone want local tips or whatever give me a shout.

How about a personal tour of the course for all the BTers out there?
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

How about a personal tour of the course for all the BTers out there?

Id be glad to give tours of course. I've ridden about half the loop so far (all the way down and back on 193). Felt like Louisville to me. Net uphill going south, lots of rollers but nothing prolonged. Fast and net downhill coming back. I'd recommend riding with someone as there is no shoulder on the way out of town on 193 in Georgia.

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
How bad is traffic on the roads?
in reply to: emferg

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by emferg

Originally posted by runswithcrazydog
Yes

Me too!

So I'm leaning towards the Be Iron Fit plan.  My other consideration is the advanced plan here on BT.  Has anyone used the BT plan? Experience with it? I used the beginner plan for my first 2.

I used the BT beginner plan for IMAZ last year, and using the competitive version of the Be Iron Fit plan right now.  One thing that I will change for next year if I decide to use it again, is to drop one of the swims.  It seems entirely too swim heavy to me and not enough run focused.  However, I say that knowing that I'm a decent (not great) swimmer, but running is my BIG weakness. 

I'll see how my race goes this year at B2B. 

Oh neat! I found you guys!

I posted a happy dance thread in the Main forum that I made it in.

Do you guys/gals have any advice on accommodations?

Through their reservation link there seems to be quite a few choices left but is it better to stay closer to the race site or a bit further from ground zero? 

Oh, I read through the whole thread, I'm supposed to introduce myself :D

I'm Hoang, I go by Ho. I've mostly lurking on this site since 2011.

Ho/M/32/Virginia (DC Suburb)

I started running in the mid 2000's to support a friend's husbands deployment to Afghanistan. The running bug bit me and I've since done about ~2 dozen HMs, 4 marathons and started dabbling in sprint triathlons to mix things up in 2011. Completing an Ironman (iron distance) is one of my life bucket goals.

I completed my first HIM distance earlier this month, went ok-ish, I seem to have GI issues for events longer than 2 hours. Still trying to figure that out. I couldnt swim 25 meters as of January 2012 so I feel I've come quite a ways. My biking is so-so, I can certainly improve there.

My brother in law has Crohns and my wife found out about IM Chattanooga and it's affiliation with CCFA earlier this year. They just got back to me yesterday to inform me a slot opened up for their cause. It might sound cheesy but I'm more than willing to give up blood, sweat, and tears as a trade off to bring research and awareness for his condition.

Very excited, hope to meet up with everyone!

Edited by Major Ho 2013-09-28 7:53 AM
in reply to: Major Ho

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Major Ho

Oh neat! I found you guys!

I posted a happy dance thread in the Main forum that I made it in.

Do you guys/gals have any advice on accommodations?

Through their reservation link there seems to be quite a few choices left but is it better to stay closer to the race site or a bit further from ground zero? 

Welcome aboard!

I prefer staying right in the middle of things. The hotels downtown have waiting lists. Since IMs have about 20% DNS, I am hopeful I get one downtown. If not, no big deal.

User image

Regular
I would say that the traffic on roads is not bad. The bad is that there is no shoulder to ride on due to rumble strips for about 10 miles out of town. Also, it is country Georgia drivers who may not care much about cyclists.
If you like action, try to stay downtown, as there are great restaurants and kids activities nearby. If you need quiet, get down the road a bit.

User image

ditto on being on the Chatt FB page

I have the picture of the white german shepherd as my FB profile pic...

what do others have?
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Champion
Alabama
Tennessee River water temp this weekend: 77-78. This is from 2 different sources.

Caveat, this was taken in Hunstville, 2 hours downriver from Chattanooga.

User image

Champion
Alabama
I was able to book at room at the Doubletree downtown using Hilton Honors points and my diamond status.

Do you locals know if the 'race site' gonna be at AT&T field like the Chattanooga Waterfront tri? Anyone know where the race headquarters is gonna be?

Double Post...

Edited by Major Ho 2013-10-01 10:19 AM

Can I ask you out of towners how many days prior to the race you are arriving and how long you plan on staying afterwards?

I know it's completely dependent on each individual and their schedule and resources, but just trying to get a feel for what's common.

in reply to: Major Ho

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Major Ho

Can I ask you out of towners how many days prior to the race you are arriving and how long you plan on staying afterwards?

I know it's completely dependent on each individual and their schedule and resources, but just trying to get a feel for what's common.

I'm getting there Friday and going home Monday. There will likely be a practice swim Friday (probably Thrusday too) but I am only 2 hrs from Chattanooga so will proabably get up early Friday and drive up for the pactice swim.....maybe a bike ride with fellow BTers. I will be BOP so will be finishing late. After finishing I will eat some pizza, have a cold beer, stagger my hotel, take a shower and fall into bed and then head home Monday morning. I don't know if this is 'common' or not. I think some people get there earlier in the week. Based on hotel availability, looks like some people start rolling into town on Monday......not sure what they do all week?

There are a few good tourist attractions to visit while in town - Rock City, Ruby Falls, Incline Railroad, TN Acquarium, Imax theater, Chattanooga Choochoo and train museum. I reccomend them all. :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 31333 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61850 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 174920 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 41138 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: