BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-29 2:41 PM
in reply to: KOM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-12-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Hi all,

I am ready to get back in the training groove.  All the holiday gatherings and travel are over.  I'm looking forward to a semblance of routine.  Managed to get a 1 hour trainer ride in (decided to watch True Blood season 1) and then I ran up and down my little hill 5 times.  It is a rainy messy day here in NoVa.

Haley - I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  I lost my this summer.  He'd been with us for 16 years.  I was lost for awhile without my little shadow (Mickey) following me around.

This afternoon's goals are to finish my training plan for a spring race and work with holiday photos.

Cheers everyone - Melanie

2013-12-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Originally posted by dustytrails

Just want to say RIP to last years running buddy ..Haley the boxer. She was a rescue dog whose former foster owner thought she was "too debilated" to go out on runs with her owner.
"Posh" , I worked Haley up to thirty minute runs and that crink in her back leg "vanished" permanently.

The only time Haley was really happy was when she was running. I thought ya'll would understand. sniff sniff

Sorry to hear about your loss Linda that was wonderful what you did for Haley. Rescue dogs are the best, I swear I think they know that you saved them. I know it may be hard now but hang in there and remember the good times.

James
2013-12-29 3:00 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I had a short run to warm up for boot camp class today.  Followed class with a recovery swim.  Considering hitting the trainer  for a while cause it's pretty soggy out from this morning's down pour.

2013-12-29 3:15 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Master
East Side of the Bay

Well the only workout I have done so far today is grocery shopping and piles of laundry.  Hubby and DD have a GI flu.  They (and I) were up most of the night.  Now to just de-Christmas the house....  Maybe I could set up my drainer once I have an area cleared (see previous comment).

2013-12-29 3:37 PM

Veteran
Queens, NY
Linda! sorry to hear about your training buddy! We have a rescue lab- he went through two previous owners as one said he was getting too big, and the other lost his job the day after he was adopted. They thought he had dysplasia when we got him although screenings showed up fine. Poor guy couldn't sit straight and walked/ran funny- one of the docs said she wanted a dog to run with and considered him, but she was concerned about his "hip".....turns out apparently he spent too much of his developmental time crammed in a small crate (!) and walks, runs swims, climbs just fine and is er, rather large too. Solid as a rock. Not the brightest bulb, min you, but gorgeous and sweet. Anyways, rescues rock!

2013-12-29 4:08 PM
in reply to: juneapple

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by juneapple
Originally posted by jfodness

One of the biggest mental blocks I struggle with in Triathlon training is never reaching my true potential in any one event. I don't want to be negative, but rather realistic. The phrase "train your weaknesses, race your strengths" sounds good, but eventually ends up being self defeating, at least for me. Anyone care to share how they "evolved" from being a one or two sport athlete to balancing all three?

Hi Judd, I think the above is probably a true and realistic statement. One could probably also be "a runner, who does triathlons" or "a cyclist, who cross trains", but to me anyway, I think focusing on triathlons means you are, by definition, training in a broader way and perhaps with more focus on endurance . . .

It also means there are two other "events" to train for... transitions and nutrition. Transitions especially for the short races and nutrition especially for the long races . . .

Stu

To me, it's not about reaching my "true potential in one sport" because that's not what Triathlon is....it's three sports, with performance in two legs impacted by the events immediately preceding them. I understand your POV, but if I want to reach my potential as a runner, then I need to run and only run with all training is focused on maximizing performance in that sport. But to get faster that's not an option in Triathlon....we have skill across all three which dictates some level of balanced training.

For me, I keep hoping that I some day have the perfect race, where my swim, bike and run all come together for me to produce a maximum performance in each sport on one specific day. It hasn't happened and I'm thinking that this is an unrealistic expectation. An all-out swim will impact the bike, an aggressive ride will hurt the run. So it just seems like the key is to be able to find balance and just perform well in all three disciplines without blowing up . . .

Steve

Hi Judd,

I think the easiest way to "evolve" from being a one or two sport athlete to balancing all three is too accept the fact that you are no longer a one or two sport athlete.  You are a Triathlete.  Your Triathlon time will be the aggregate of the times for the swim, the bike, the run, and as Stu pointed out, the transitions.  Even at the Sprint Triathlon distance, endurance and thus nutrition may become a factor as, depending upon overall fitness and cardio-vascular fitness levels, even the most fit athlete has only about 60-90 minutes of glycogen stored.  That means there are in fact 5 different disciplines we must train for as Triathletes, not three.

I hear talk all the time about "I am a good runner," or "I am really strong on the bike."  However, in my opinion, nutrition is the most important discipline - especially at the longer distances (Half Iron and Full Iron).  Nutrition is arguably the discipline that has the greatest impact on overall performance and is probably the most overlooked.  Consider this, I was a swimmer in my first life and was somewhat successful.  At a maximal swim effort I can be out of the water in 45-50 minutes for an Ironman swim segment.  But to do that, I would have to have a VERY strong kick for the entire distance.  Swimming is largely an anaerobic exercise so that means using up 45-50 minutes of the glycogen stored in my legs.  Yes, I can take in fuel during the ride and somewhat during the run, but you can't replace stored glycogen during exercise so those 45-50 minutes of stored glycogen are GONE for the race at hand.  Your muscles use glucose as fuel, they don't much care whether that glucose comes from glycogen stores or from free blood glucose.  Your body however, prefers glucose from glycogen as drawing glucose from the aerobic energy pathway is slow and requires a tremendous amount of outside energy.  What that means is that you are going to further reduce your glycogen stores during the bike and the run, EVEN WHILE TAKING ON ADDITIONAL FUEL.  Wouldn't it be better if I held back a little bit during the swim and conserved my glycogen stores for later in the race?

Or take Steve, our illustrious leader, for example.  He is a runner by trade.  He has taken decades developing his aerobic energy pathway and is able to utilize fat for fuel better than most.  However, his body, like everyone else, will prefer to use glycogen over fat so he will still need glycogen stores so that he can compete at a high level.  He is, by his own definition, not the strongest swimmer, so if he goes out and tries to crush the swim - and uses up his glycogen stores in the process - he is not going to have the glycogen reserves when he gets to the run and faces the sad reality of 'hitting the wall.'

The short answer is that triathlon is about balance, nutrition and managing glycogen depletion.  It is not about a single discipline and the people that continue to strive for excellence in a single discipline at the expense of the other two will likely not be successful at the sport of Triathlon.

2013-12-29 4:28 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN

Curses, the coveted "Black Dog" has escaped me again. Sure, you might think I re-upped in this group b/c of Steve's exceptional leadership... or Scott's great swim tips... or the bonds that kept the group going throughout the Fall/Winter... but no, it is the Black Dog that keeps me coming back for more!

Stu

Hey Stu,

If you didn't live so dang far away we could share it.  I get it a week, then you get it a week.  Every third week or so we could send a picture of it to Steve.  But since you are WAY out there and I am WAY out here, I will just hold on to it and make sure it is safe!

2013-12-29 4:38 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Originally posted by k9car363

Curses, the coveted "Black Dog" has escaped me again. Sure, you might think I re-upped in this group b/c of Steve's exceptional leadership... or Scott's great swim tips... or the bonds that kept the group going throughout the Fall/Winter... but no, it is the Black Dog that keeps me coming back for more!

Stu

Hey Stu,

If you didn't live so dang far away we could share it.  I get it a week, then you get it a week.  Every third week or so we could send a picture of it to Steve. "" />

Ouch!
2013-12-29 5:08 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Expert
Missouri

Hey all!  Spent 40 minutes on the TM today - temperatures dropped drastically overnight so I wimped out and ran inside.  And I did one of the walking programs on the TM.  It does include some run intervals but it's mostly 4 mph and under so pretty slow.  At least it was something - I had almost talked myself into just staying on the couch all day.

So when is the contest going to re-start?  'Cuz I stepped on the scale this morning and was not happy with what I saw.  I've gained some weight over the holidays.  It's the only time of the year when we have cookies, candy and soda around so I'm not surprised I gained some, just not too happy about it. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Janet

2013-12-29 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by abake

. . . What kind of nutrition do some of you follow, what works, what does not work?

Hi Anne,

I was re-reading some of the earlier posts and saw yours.  You have posed a loaded question!

According to the USDA, our diets should consist of 29% Fat, 53% Carbohydrate, and 18% Protein.  On the other hand, Body Builder Magazine says the percentages should be: 30% Fat, 40% Carb., and 30% Protein.  Then to add to the confusion, WebMD says the percentages we should strive for are: 20-35% Fat, 45-55% Carb,, and 10-35% Protein.  Whew, three fairly respectable sources, and they can't agree on the numbers.  To make matters worse, WebMD can't even settle on a single number but rather a range.  In reality, WebMD is probably the most accurate because nutrition is largely dependent upon the individual and what his/her goals are.  The person looking to lose weight is likely going to be eating differently than the person strenuously working out (Us?) versus the person trying to lose weight AND working out.

For what it is worth, I tend to more closely follow the Body Builder Magazine numbers - 30 % Fat, 40% Carb, and 30% Protein - although on strength training days I may up the protein and decrease the carbs.  I log everything I put in my mouth here on the BT nutrition logs.  I try not to obsess over meal to meal ratios or even daily ratios. rather I look at the weekly ratios and note any trends over several weeks.

I think of as much importance as the macro-nutrient ratios of the meals you eat is WHAT you actually eat.  To that extent I try to follow the 'common' rules - I do most of my shopping around the perimeter of the store; that is where the fresh fruits and vegetables are, along with the fresh meat, poultry and fish.  In general I try to stay away from refined sugars, go with whole wheat bread instead of white bread, and reluctantly drink 2% milk instead of whole milk.

Also of equal importance is your caloric intake.  A WORD OF CAUTION HERE!!!!!  If you are using the BT nutrition log and are logging your workouts, BT will give you a "From Lifestyle" calorie number.  Supposedly this is BT's approximation of your BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate - the minimum number of calories you need exclusive of exercise).  It will also give you an approximation of the calories burned from exercise and a net gain or loss.  THOSE NUMBERS ARE ALL WRONG!!!!!  The "Lifestyle" number for me was approximately 1,200 calories high and the exercise numbers were consistently 15-20% high.  The end result was when I calculated my daily caloric needs and subtracted 500 calories (so I could lose 1 pound per week) to determine my target calories per day, my diet was still 1,000 calories/day high.  After a few weeks of gaining 2 pounds/week, I learned the BT BMR number is too high.  Do a Google search for 'Calculate BMR' and go to a couple of those websites to get a more accurate estimate of your BMR.  When I did that, I had several different sites give me the same number which was considerably different from BT's.

Once you have determined your BMR, add for anticipated exercise, then subtract if you want to lose weight.  Remember that one pound is approximately 3,500 calories so if you want to lose 1 pound/week, you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

There is a LOT more to nutrition than that, but what I have written down is sufficient to get a quick start.

Hope that helps.

Edited for punctuation.  Really!  I are a callage gratueight!

Edited by k9car363 2013-12-29 6:26 PM

2013-12-29 6:15 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

. . . as a raw rookie, I read and found your swimming tips very helpful. As I get underway, I'm sure I'll have more questions. For starters I'm hoping that just getting into the pool 3 times a/week will help me build a bit of endurance. I've also signed up for my local tri club, so I'll attend their swim clinics to get some coaching.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words.

As an absolute beginning swimmer, my advice is to not workout any longer than you can maintain PERFECT stroke technique.  If it is only 100 yards, then so-be-it, come back tomorrow and try again.  I know, that may be a challenge as at this point you may not even fully understand what 'perfect' technique is.  It is more important at this point to do a little bit of something right as opposed to a lot of something wrong.  Simply stated, you don't want to be thrashing around in the water with the wrong technique.  You will be doing yourself a disservice and not building functional endurance or swim fitness.  If you can get to some swim clinics at the tri-club that will help.  Alternatively, you might investigate if there is a masters swim program nearby or if it is possible, arrange for a few hours of lessons with a local swim coach.

I am happy to try and answer any questions you may have.  Send me a video of you in the water and maybe I can give you some pointers.

2013-12-29 7:43 PM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Illinois

. . . What kind of nutrition do some of you follow, what works, what does not work?

Hi Anne,

I was re-reading some of the earlier posts and saw yours.  You have posed a loaded question!

According to the USDA, our diets should consist of 29% Fat, 53% Carbohydrate, and 18% Protein.  On the other hand, Body Builder Magazine says the percentages should be: 30% Fat, 40% Carb., and 30% Protein.  Then to add to the confusion, WebMD says the percentages we should strive for are: 20-35% Fat, 45-55% Carb,, and 10-35% Protein.  Whew, three fairly respectable sources, and they can't agree on the numbers.  To make matters worse, WebMD can't even settle on a single number but rather a range.  In reality, WebMD is probably the most accurate because nutrition is largely dependent upon the individual and what his/her goals are.  The person looking to lose weight is likely going to be eating differently than the person strenuously working out (Us?) versus the person trying to lose weight AND working out.

For what it is worth, I tend to more closely follow the Body Builder Magazine numbers - 30 % Fat, 40% Carb, and 30% Protein - although on strength training days I may up the protein and decrease the carbs.  I log everything I put in my mouth here on the BT nutrition logs.  I try not to obsess over meal to meal ratios or even daily ratios. rather I look at the weekly ratios and note any trends over several weeks.

I think of as much importance as the macro-nutrient ratios of the meals you eat is WHAT you actually eat.  To that extent I try to follow the 'common' rules - I do most of my shopping around the perimeter of the store; that is where the fresh fruits and vegetables are, along with the fresh meat, poultry and fish.  In general I try to stay away from refined sugars, go with whole wheat bread instead of white bread, and reluctantly drink 2% milk instead of whole milk.

Also of equal importance is your caloric intake.  A WORD OF CAUTION HERE!!!!!  If you are using the BT nutrition log and are logging your workouts, BT will give you a "From Lifestyle" calorie number.  Supposedly this is BT's approximation of your BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate - the minimum number of calories you need exclusive of exercise).  It will also give you an approximation of the calories burned from exercise and a net gain or loss.  THOSE NUMBERS ARE ALL WRONG!!!!!  The "Lifestyle" number for me was approximately 1,200 calories high and the exercise numbers were consistently 15-20% high.  The end result was when I calculated my daily caloric needs and subtracted 500 calories (so I could lose 1 pound per week) to determine my target calories per day, my diet was still 1,000 calories/day high.  After a few weeks of gaining 2 pounds/week, I learned the BT BMR number is too high.  Do a Google search for 'Calculate BMR' and go to a couple of those websites to get a more accurate estimate of your BMR.  When I did that, I had several different sites give me the same number which was considerably different from BT's.

Once you have determined your BMR, add for anticipated exercise, then subtract if you want to lose weight.  Remember that one pound is approximately 3,500 calories so if you want to lose 1 pound/week, you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

There is a LOT more to nutrition than that, but what I have written down is sufficient to get a quick start.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the informative post, Scott. I used the BT nutrition log for a while before the new site was implemented, but it got to be a lot of work. Maybe the new site has simplified the process? I will say that it doesn't matter if I use a website or if I just write down my meals on a note pad, the simple act of logging food makes me think twice about whether or not I really want to eat that slice of cake!
I am editing this post to mention that I checked out your website and there is some really good information on there. Thanks for posting the swimming tips. Also, I see you are planning on running the Indy Mini Marathon in May? What a fun race that it!!!

Edited by abake 2013-12-29 7:46 PM
2013-12-29 9:55 PM
in reply to: abake

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I used the BT nutrition log for a while before the new site was implemented, but it got to be a lot of work. Maybe the new site has simplified the process? I will say that it doesn't matter if I use a website or if I just write down my meals on a note pad, the simple act of logging food makes me think twice about whether or not I really want to eat that slice of cake! I am editing this post to mention that I checked out your website and there is some really good information on there. Thanks for posting the swimming tips. Also, I see you are planning on running the Indy Mini Marathon in May? What a fun race that it!!!

I'm not sure if the new site made it easier or just changed the obstacles that have to be overcome in order to post (I think the new site screwed as many things up as it fixed but that is another discussion for another day).

Yes, I am running in the One America Indy-500 Mini Marathon this year.  I am a die hard auto racing fan and like many others, consider the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to be hallowed ground.  We lived in Indiana last year and I was struggling to find a way to make running my friend.  Then I heard about the Mini on a TV News broadcast.  When I learned that the turn-around for the race is a lap around the Speedway, well, I was sold and entered that afternoon.  That race is actually what got me running.  Then I had emergency Gall Bladder surgery and wasn't cleared to start running again for 6 weeks.  That pretty well put the brakes on the Mini last year.  I did however promise myself that I would do it this year.  Can't wait!!!

2013-12-30 5:32 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Expert
Illinois

I'm not sure if the new site made it easier or just changed the obstacles that have to be overcome in order to post (I think the new site screwed as many things up as it fixed but that is another discussion for another day).

Yes, I am running in the One America Indy-500 Mini Marathon this year.  I am a die hard auto racing fan and like many others, consider the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to be hallowed ground.  We lived in Indiana last year and I was struggling to find a way to make running my friend.  Then I heard about the Mini on a TV News broadcast.  When I learned that the turn-around for the race is a lap around the Speedway, well, I was sold and entered that afternoon.  That race is actually what got me running.  Then I had emergency Gall Bladder surgery and wasn't cleared to start running again for 6 weeks.  That pretty well put the brakes on the Mini last year.  I did however promise myself that I would do it this year.  Can't wait!!!

The Indy Mini was my first "big city" race. At the time, our running club had a very active half marathon training group and the leader picked the Indy race. I think we had about 50 runners make the drive. Our club had a tent set up in the post-race area so there was a place to stash gear. As I recall it was very hot. I will never forget the rush of standing shoulder to shoulder with thousands of people and shuffling toward the starting line. I don't remember what year that was -- maybe 2006? I went back in 2009 with a small group and we had just as much fun, but I seem to recall that it was raining.
2013-12-30 7:20 AM

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Linda - so sorry to hear about Haley. Good running partners like Haley are the best :-(

Scott... I guess the only good news on the contest is that I "sandbagged" Christmas week a bit, so I will be running downhill for a few weeks :-) Sounds like this next stretch is a key one for you on the weight loss front. Take no prisoners, my friend!

Wow... it is great to have the board up and going again with lots of new faces and energy. One thing I look forward to doing on Jan 1st is reflecting on the past year and putting out some new goals for the new year and updating my bt log so it stares at me on a daily basis... lol. I need to spend a bit of time figuring out some unique goal for this year now that I've hit all my "distance" goals. All things are possible Jan 1st :-) Happy Monday, everyone!

Stu

2013-12-30 9:18 AM

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

I need to spend a bit of time figuring out some unique goal for this year now that I've hit all my "distance" goals. All things are possible Jan 1st :-) Happy Monday, everyone!

Stu

Stu--once you've hit your distance goals, you know what comes next? Speed goals. Hello pain cave.

Steve
2013-12-30 9:47 AM

Regular
Subject: RE: Happy Monday and Almost New Year!
Hey Gray Guys/Girls:

I hope you had a great weekend. I did. It was my birthday (58) and my Seahawks won so it was all good in my house. I was also happy because I finished up probably the best week of training I've had since my Tri race season ended in August. Overall, I logged 10 hours-fifty minutes, which for me is solid for the middle of winter.

Stu made a good point above: This is an excellent time to re-assess the past year and lay down some goals for 2014. I like to think of three sets of goals; First, what's the base level I want for the coming year....the real foundational things that are well within my capabilities I expect to meet or surpass in the coming year. Second, what are the stretch goals? If I can push, find some extra mojo, what would make me the very satisfied when I reflect back at this time in December of 2014? Finally, what are the outrageous goals...the stuff I can strive for, but won't really be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

So last year at this time, I layed down my objectives and I then built my 2013 training plan around the goals that are listed below.

Foundation goals--enhanced fitness and stronger swimming reflected in improved race/split times, USA Triathlon All American Honorable Mention ranking (top 10%), stronger race performance at Triathlon Age Group Nationals
Stretch goals--USA Triathlon All American ranking (Top 5%), qualify for 2015 World Age Group Championships
Outrageous goal--podium finish at nationals

It was pretty easy to lay out the training plan because there are so many race results you can pull off the internet. Obviously, I don't need that to track my personal performance since I can just look at year-to-year times in the same and/or similar events to know if I'm getting any better at the sport. As for hitting my stretch goals, it was quite easy to look at past performances of other athletes and determine how fast I would need to go to beat some of those other athletes. I could then begin to lay down the training plan to try to align my capabilities with the performance objectives.

You can do it, too!

So, Stu is right. This is the perfect time to reflect back and look forward...putting in place your commitment to what you want to achieve in Triathlon in 2014. As was pounded into my head in B-school, if it's not measurable, it's not an objective. It might be worthy "goal", but true objectives enable clear-eyed progress assessments, measurement and planning.

Happy New Year!

Steve

2013-12-30 9:53 AM

Dublin, Ohio

Hi Anne,

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the informative post, Scott. I used the BT nutrition log for a while before the new site was implemented, but it got to be a lot of work. Maybe the new site has simplified the process? I will say that it doesn't matter if I use a website or if I just write down my meals on a note pad, the simple act of logging food makes me think twice about whether or not I really want to eat that slice of cake!
I am editing this post to mention that I checked out your website and there is some really good information on there. Thanks for posting the swimming tips. Also, I see you are planning on running the Indy Mini Marathon in May? What a fun race that it!!!

Anne, I use My Fitness Pal to track my food. It has a huge base of foods to search and once you do it for a few weeks it is really easy. Plus, I can do it from my phone which makes it so much easier.

The nutrition component of the triathlon has me scared. I used to not eating much besides gels for a marathon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Monday everyone!

Wendy
2013-12-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4915093

Thanks Steve - great advice. I think my mindset needs to change from looking at the each component individually to looking at the components collectively. As you said, focus on what is to be gained vs what is lost; keeping it positive.
2013-12-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

Expert
Illinois

Anne, I use My Fitness Pal to track my food. It has a huge base of foods to search and once you do it for a few weeks it is really easy. Plus, I can do it from my phone which makes it so much easier.

The nutrition component of the triathlon has me scared. I used to not eating much besides gels for a marathon. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Monday everyone!

Wendy

You know, I think I may have a MyFitness Pal account set up. Seems like a lot of the folks on BT use that app. I did go into the BT nutrition log area today and have to say that the new site has made logging meals much more manageable. That was quite the pleasant surprise for a Monday!
You pose a really good question that should elicit some interesting and varied responses. On the bike, I like to carry Fig Newtons and small salty crackers in the Bento box --- if it's a hot day, the extra salt is helpful and a nice change from just eating gels. On the run, just gels.

2013-12-30 2:24 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by lutzman

This is the perfect time to reflect back and look forward...putting in place your commitment to what you want to achieve in Triathlon in 2014. As was pounded into my head in B-school, if it's not measurable, it's not an objective. It might be worthy "goal", but true objectives enable clear-eyed progress assessments, measurement and planning.

Steve,

As an old, fat, slow guy, my 2014 training goals are fairly simple:

Complete a 5k in 23:20 or better. (best 2013 result was 25:30 before an injury last July.)

Complete the Litchfield Hills Road Race in 60:30, stretch goal is 59:50. (Trying to finish in top 500. My 2013 result was 64:50)

Complete first Sprint Triathlon before at least 20% of finishers. (Event to be held in early June)
(biking and swimming disciplines are too new to me to call out specifics, so simply developing a level of proficiency is my current goal.)

Weight loss goal is 15lbs from 187lbs to 172lbs. Reduce BF % from current 20-21% to 17-18% range. (Think this will require the most discipline on my part.)

Now working to tweak my current run-centric workout plan to support the multi-sport training requirements in advance of the June Sprint.

Very timely post. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave

2013-12-30 3:17 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

Expert
Falls Church

I've thought about my goals for the year.  Here they are:

1. Top 10 in age group - Columbia Triathlon, Reston Triathlon
  2. 8:00 min/mile in 10K (Dogfish Dash) (8:04 min/mile in 2011)
  3. 20 mph in at least one race on bike (Reston?)
  4. 137 lbs on September 28th (Dogfish Dash)
  5. All freestyle in at least one race during swim (I need to sign up for a sprint!)
  6. 4 state hike in 24 hours (PA, WV, MD, VA along Appalachian Trial)
  7. Have lots of fun!

I'll likely add a few more as the year progresses.  Thinking about a Ragnar Relay and other races but nothing set in stone yet.  But mostly I'd like to improve at Columbia and drop my 10K run time at the Dogfish Dash.  Columbia is a very competitive event and doing well there would be pretty big.  It is my stretch goal.  I won my age group at the Dogfish Dash in 2011 and would like to do so again this year.  A sub-8:00 would get me pretty close and make the free beer taste even better.  The rest would be icing on the cake.

2013-12-30 3:47 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Regular
Subject: RE: New Year's Training Week
Another week, so here's my tentative training plan. Keep in mind, I'm working to build up to an HIM in mid-April, so I really in my base phase now, laying down some training time and continuing to re-build fitness from the long layoff.

Monday--No training--total rest (my favorite day)
Tuesday--morning--2200 yard swim, evening--70 minutes on the indoor trainer, focus on cadence
Wednesday--one hour run with 4 X 1 minute accelerations focusing on cadence/form. Afternoon--30 minute strength
Thursday--1800 yard recovery swim, 35 minute recovery run
Friday--2200 yard swim
Saturday--two hour bike ride, one hour strength in gym, 1800 swim if I have the energy
Sunday--70 minute run...focusing on pacing

That's my plan. Happy training!

2013-12-30 7:25 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Regular
Originally posted by hoffsquared

I've thought about my goals for the year.  Here they are:

1. Top 10 in age group - Columbia Triathlon, Reston Triathlon
  2. 8:00 min/mile in 10K (Dogfish Dash) (8:04 min/mile in 2011)
  3. 20 mph in at least one race on bike (Reston?)
  4. 137 lbs on September 28th (Dogfish Dash)
  5. All freestyle in at least one race during swim (I need to sign up for a sprint!)
  6. 4 state hike in 24 hours (PA, WV, MD, VA along Appalachian Trial)
  7. Have lots of fun!

I'll likely add a few more as the year progresses.  Thinking about a Ragnar Relay and other races but nothing set in stone yet.  But mostly I'd like to improve at Columbia and drop my 10K run time at the Dogfish Dash.  Columbia is a very competitive event and doing well there would be pretty big.  It is my stretch goal.  I won my age group at the Dogfish Dash in 2011 and would like to do so again this year.  A sub-8:00 would get me pretty close and make the free beer taste even better.  The rest would be icing on the cake.

All good goals Melanie...especially the one about "having fun." That's easy to forget sometimes during a long training effort.

Dropping your 10K time from an 8:10 pace to a sub-8:00 pace ought to be very doable if you can get in some regular interval training and pace work. If you need any feedback, let me know.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19347 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.