2015-01-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by spudone

Any of you guys see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/09/former-nfl-player-swims-nine-miles-to-shore-after-falling-out-boat/

Very lucky he made it but also impressive.  That is a long time to be in cold water.

phhhhhhhhhht. By my rough calculation he only swam a 6:40/100m pace. Not really all THAT impressive. seriously very fortunate indeed.

And best line from ST: "Well, he WAS a Dolphin."

I am typically not a conspiracy type guy, but something sounds "fishy" here......   9 miles is a feat of extreme endurance with no wetsuit... in the winter.   Either the guy has a swimming background, got extremely lucky, had huge currents in his favor, or.....

2015-01-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/09/former-nfl-player-swims-nine-miles-to-shore-after-falling-out-boat/

Very lucky he made it but also impressive.  That is a long time to be in cold water.

phhhhhhhhhht. By my rough calculation he only swam a 6:40/100m pace. Not really all THAT impressive. seriously very fortunate indeed.

I am typically not a conspiracy type guy, but something sounds "fishy" here......   9 miles is a feat of extreme endurance with no wetsuit... in the winter.   Either the guy has a swimming background, got extremely lucky, had huge currents in his favor, or.....

It is a bit strange for sure.  And if it was 9 miles as the crow flies, it was certainly more in actual distance swam.  Everyone knows non swimmers can't sight properly.

2015-01-09 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Man, I didn't read the thread over at ST....you should have just taken credit for that comment as if it was yours.  I laughed

2015-01-09 12:06 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
, California

Originally posted by ChrisM

I don't think the conditions helped - it took him a long time.  The Coast Guard said 10-12 hours, and they were also the ones who confirmed the distance.  He swam most of it at night but if he hit shore around 4am, he would've had the sunset to guide him when he first started.  Still... yikes.

2015-01-09 1:11 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Anybody run in New Balance shoes? I need to replace my Blade Light Runs since K-Swiss no longer produces them. I would like something in the 9oz range for neutral cushion. I was looking at the 890 or 980 but am open to other suggestions as well.
2015-01-09 1:28 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by axteraa

Hey Neil, good to hear from you!

The velodrome sounds pretty neat!  I thought I heard rumblings that at some point they might be setting up something like the ERO track.  No clue if that's true or not though.

It is true. AndyF will be running them.

Marc - you sure about this?  I know the Cdn National team had tested/trained on the ERO track so was hoping they would put something similar in place in Milton, but when I asked the question of Steve Bauer in the summer he looked at me like I was from the moon.

I know for sure Andy was working on this. I can ask him if you are interested. We had corresponded about it in November

That would be great, I'd be really interested to hear his reponse.  I thought it made sense if the Cdn Track team was using this technology that they would want to continue to use it in their new "home".

AFAIK, he works closely with the Cdn team including Bauer. I volunteered to test a product he was working on and he told me I was next in line behind Steve Bauer and a half dozen team members, which means NO :-)

99.9% he will be at Milton. Whether he opens sessions to the public will probably depend if they give him track time.

He is a super nice guy and a super smart one.

2015-01-09 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Ha!  Someone at work said the same thing this morning and I almost snorted coffee! (loved your sarc comment, btw)

Impressive, indeed.  I've been in those waters, and that is a no-joke, strong survival drive deal.

2015-01-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

So I did something crazy (for me) this morning at the pool.  Whilst swimming away my "I-can't-run-yet" blues, I decided to do a lap each of breast, back and fly toward the end of the workout.

HOLY CARP THAT WAS HARD!

Kind of psyched, as I recall a couple years back that breast and back were easy compared to freestyle (fly always sux), and when I did a cool down 100 of freestyle, it felt like I was gliding along...

I can see now (having done it even once) how that will help the balance of my swimming - from arm position to feel for the water to core to strength.  I'm **almost** even excited - well, maybe just very intrigued - by the prospect of trying to learn those strokes the way I've had to learn freestyle the last couple years (from an OW survival skill set to actually learning to swim - even if imperfectly - more like a swimmer).

That is all...

Matt

2015-01-09 4:34 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Hey Neil, good to hear from you!

The velodrome sounds pretty neat!  I thought I heard rumblings that at some point they might be setting up something like the ERO track.  No clue if that's true or not though.

It is true. AndyF will be running them.

Marc - you sure about this?  I know the Cdn National team had tested/trained on the ERO track so was hoping they would put something similar in place in Milton, but when I asked the question of Steve Bauer in the summer he looked at me like I was from the moon.

I know for sure Andy was working on this. I can ask him if you are interested. We had corresponded about it in November

That would be great, I'd be really interested to hear his reponse.  I thought it made sense if the Cdn Track team was using this technology that they would want to continue to use it in their new "home".

AFAIK, he works closely with the Cdn team including Bauer. I volunteered to test a product he was working on and he told me I was next in line behind Steve Bauer and a half dozen team members, which means NO :-) 99.9% he will be at Milton. Whether he opens sessions to the public will probably depend if they give him track time. He is a super nice guy and a super smart one.

Thanks Marc - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2015-01-09 5:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

So I did something crazy (for me) this morning at the pool.  Whilst swimming away my "I-can't-run-yet" blues, I decided to do a lap each of breast, back and fly toward the end of the workout.

HOLY CARP THAT WAS HARD!

Kind of psyched, as I recall a couple years back that breast and back were easy compared to freestyle (fly always sux), and when I did a cool down 100 of freestyle, it felt like I was gliding along...

I can see now (having done it even once) how that will help the balance of my swimming - from arm position to feel for the water to core to strength.  I'm **almost** even excited - well, maybe just very intrigued - by the prospect of trying to learn those strokes the way I've had to learn freestyle the last couple years (from an OW survival skill set to actually learning to swim - even if imperfectly - more like a swimmer).

That is all...

Matt

Matt.....You should do a IM in your warm up. The order is Fly, Back, Brest and Free. I have been doing a 400 IM as part of my warm ups pretty regularly now. Although my Fly and Brest are pretty bad, I am getting better. I have found it helps my swimming overall even thou I am only swimming 2x a week. Also it's great to break up the same old work outs.

EDIT
BTW PowerTap is at the wheel builders and should be done next week. I was surprised how light the hub was. I really thought it would be this boat anchor thing.

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-09 5:51 PM
2015-01-09 6:08 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri

HOLY CARP THAT WAS HARD!

That is all...

Matt

Matt.....You should do a IM in your warm up. The order is Fly, Back, Brest and Free. I have been doing a 400 IM as part of my warm ups pretty regularly now. Although my Fly and Brest are pretty bad, I am getting better. I have found it helps my swimming overall even thou I am only swimming 2x a week. Also it's great to break up the same old work outs. EDIT BTW PowerTap is at the wheel builders and should be done next week. I was surprised how light the hub was. I really thought it would be this boat anchor thing.

Is that 400 IM straight through or broken up? Probably wipe out a lot of people before they get to the main set. I did like getting some of the other strokes into the warm-up as well. Never fully set in a pattern, doing what I felt was needed to be ready for the day. Backstroke kind of reversed free and could help open up shoulders. Breast stroke helped to find the catch more. I've used a little on very easy & short recovery lengths too mid-workout for that purpose. Fly was kind of a risk even though it was my best non-free stroke. I could lose some of the arm motion up front. I'd do just a little bit of it most swims just to help keep the feel. The dolphin kicking was helpful, so I made sure to get that in on its own.

2015-01-09 7:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

HOLY CARP THAT WAS HARD!

That is all...

Matt

Matt.....You should do a IM in your warm up. The order is Fly, Back, Brest and Free. I have been doing a 400 IM as part of my warm ups pretty regularly now. Although my Fly and Brest are pretty bad, I am getting better. I have found it helps my swimming overall even thou I am only swimming 2x a week. Also it's great to break up the same old work outs. EDIT BTW PowerTap is at the wheel builders and should be done next week. I was surprised how light the hub was. I really thought it would be this boat anchor thing.

Is that 400 IM straight through or broken up? Probably wipe out a lot of people before they get to the main set. I did like getting some of the other strokes into the warm-up as well. Never fully set in a pattern, doing what I felt was needed to be ready for the day. Backstroke kind of reversed free and could help open up shoulders. Breast stroke helped to find the catch more. I've used a little on very easy & short recovery lengths too mid-workout for that purpose. Fly was kind of a risk even though it was my best non-free stroke. I could lose some of the arm motion up front. I'd do just a little bit of it most swims just to help keep the feel. The dolphin kicking was helpful, so I made sure to get that in on its own.

Yeah I do the 400 IM straight after a 500 warm-up. I would suggest other do 25 or 50 IM's or maybe 2 or 3x 25 IM's to start.

2015-01-09 7:19 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My warm-up very often starts with 100 ez free and then 2 x 100 IM and for the fly I do (at least for the first one) 3 right arms, 3 left arms, then finish the 25 both arms.  I think it's a great way to get things going.

2015-01-09 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Yeah I do the 400 IM straight after a 500 warm-up. I would suggest other do 25 or 50 IM's or maybe 2 or 3x 25 IM's to start.

Yeah that didn't make sense. That really should have been 100 or 200 IM's.

2015-01-10 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good bike for me

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4T4F2WKYFJ6BPPGTVHC7U...

3x8' at 300w. 1hr NP=260w, AP=244w. I think I had another 10watts in those 8' intervals. Next time.

I saw 2 dear. They stopped to look my way, they could hear me with the window slightly open. I think they laughed at me.
2015-01-10 10:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag Good bike for me http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4T4F2WKYFJ6BPPGTVHC7U... 3x8' at 300w. 1hr NP=260w, AP=244w. I think I had another 10watts in those 8' intervals. Next time. I saw 2 dear. They stopped to look my way, they could hear me with the window slightly open. I think they laughed at me.

Are you doing that to Angels?

In the vid it would be going harder as that's what it is, but would it be better to go harder or do some more?

2015-01-10 10:56 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri Yeah I do the 400 IM straight after a 500 warm-up. I would suggest other do 25 or 50 IM's or maybe 2 or 3x 25 IM's to start.
Yeah that didn't make sense. That really should have been 100 or 200 IM's.

Ha! You pick up swimming well, but that was pushing it some. 

Also forgot to say that, like Arend, fly can be 1-arm in warm-up or if I'm not really feeling the motion that well.

2015-01-10 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag Good bike for me http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/4T4F2WKYFJ6BPPGTVHC7U... 3x8' at 300w. 1hr NP=260w, AP=244w. I think I had another 10watts in those 8' intervals. Next time. I saw 2 dear. They stopped to look my way, they could hear me with the window slightly open. I think they laughed at me.

In the vid it would be going harder as that's what it is, but would it be better to go harder or do some more?

yes, Angels.

Go harder ? Now I feel like a slacker :-)

2015-01-10 12:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

yes, Angels. Go harder ? Now I feel like a slacker :-)

Haha! Asking because you thought there may have been another 10 watts in there. Following a video tends to limit that decision as I've found it awkward to loop back or anything other than just go straight through it. Always trying to pick up some more on making that decision. This one in particular can be a little deceptive with that 10' of over/unders near FTP. Not exhaustive, but not exactly easy either. Could be thinking a bit much as it's still going to be a good amount of work at a good intensity to work at.

2015-01-10 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Good bike for me

3x8' at 300w. 1hr NP=260w, AP=244w. I think I had another 10watts in those 8' intervals. Next time.

I saw 2 dear. They stopped to look my way, they could hear me with the window slightly open. I think they laughed at me.

Nice Marc.

So the dear walked by your window?

2015-01-10 12:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good bike for me

Nice Marc.

So the dear walked by your window?

I am up on a hill looking out, they were about 40-50' away. I am at the Cottage and have a trainer here.

2015-01-10 3:00 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Your trainer view is much nicer than mine Marc!  I generally see blackness (since it's 5:30am).

2015-01-10 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Your trainer view is much nicer than mine Marc!  I generally see blackness (since it's 5:30am).

Something like this is what you should see in interval workouts regardless of the actual setting so he obviously could have gone harder. 

Nice going Marc!

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-10 3:19 PM
2015-01-11 2:17 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Ryan Mac Anybody run in New Balance shoes? I need to replace my Blade Light Runs since K-Swiss no longer produces them. I would like something in the 9oz range for neutral cushion. I was looking at the 890 or 980 but am open to other suggestions as well.

I ran in the NB 1220 thru 1225 series for many many years and loved them but they got phased out.  I've been running in the 1260 series the past couple of years and like them as well.  They are now on version 1260 V4.  Not sure on the weight but they aren't heavy.

2015-01-12 8:31 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Spent Saturday at the new Velodrome watching some races - Omnium scratch, Sprints, and the individual pursuit as part of the Omnium (those looked the most painful).  First time at a Velodrome and it was a cool experience to watch these guys/gals - they had Juniors running as well.  Big thing that stood out was in the infield where all the teams were setup there was not a single trainer to been seen - everyone was on rollers, and you'd see the juniors riding these things no hands, and then they'd be hammering a 30sec interval at what looked like over 120 rpms. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).