BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-01-05 7:17 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition OPEN

Originally posted by JBacarella -8 outside and me training in my basement. Yes, this is the first official day of training for Ironman Louisville. We couldn't find a race my kids could attend, but my brother and his wife can make this one. It will be great to share the weekend with them, and it will give my wife someone to hang out with. Although she never has trouble finding friends.

Woo hoo!

2018-01-05 7:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by JBacarella -8 outside and me training in my basement. Yes, this is the first official day of training for Ironman Louisville. We couldn't find a race my kids could attend, but my brother and his wife can make this one. It will be great to share the weekend with them, and it will give my wife someone to hang out with. Although she never has trouble finding friends.

Woo hoo!

yIke’s, now I feel like a slacker for not starting IM Chattanooga training yet!!

2018-01-05 7:59 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I think I may have missed "winter" here in Saigon..... It was in the 80's when we landed at midnight last night; forecast low for the day was 78. That being said, I did get some winter weather back with my folks in Idaho, but nothing as severe as the East Coast and Midwest had--teens at night (I think the coldest it got was single-digits, but only lasted a few hours), mostly 20's to low 30's during the day, about four inches of snow. Much as I whine about hating cold weather, I grew up in the Midwest (Ohio) and spent a term studying Chinese in the far northeast there (next to Siberia), so I don't actually mind running in the stuff that much. (Have run down to 25 below!) It was kind of a novelty to run on snow, until the footing started to get sloppy. Looking forward to exploring the extensive network of trails outside Boise/Eagle during the summer.

I'm glad to see that you arrived safely!

2018-01-05 8:01 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StartingToTri

Originally posted by abake How is everyone doing in this winter weather snap? It's -24 with the wind chill in Central Illinois today and it looks like we got a bit of snow.

My Massachusetts sister peer-pressured me into a Winter Warrior challenge -- a mile a day outside for the month of January. I'm in Illinois like Anne (though, in a Chicago 'burb) and it's been absolutely FRIGID here to start the year. 

I've been walking my mile as I don't have good enough cold-weather running gear. Okay, actually, I don't have running gear for sub-arctic weather, LOL. And while there are 1, 3 and 5 mile tiers to the challenge, it really is too cold to be out for more than a mile. 

All that said, I've actually found myself kind of enjoying getting out. There's always some part of me that's absolutely freezing by the time I'm done, but it's somehow weirdly invigorating. 

As far as actual training goes, I'm lucky enough to have a treadmill in the house, so that's how I've been getting my real miles in. Also, getting back to hitting strength training hard again as well. 

So, I probably won't get any sympathy when I say I had to run in 30* temps this am 

I'll give you some sympathy. I just don't run in 30 degree weather. I cannot breathe and I find breathing to be rather important when running. Good for you!

2018-01-05 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

This is what I have for our roster so far. Has anyone heard from Robin K, Darren, TJ, or Ben?

Roster removed for brevity

Hang a banger. I will be in. Save me a seat.

He lives! How's the running been going?

Well, it's not fast, nor easy, if that's anything to go by.

2018-01-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I just signed up for a local sprint that will be held in April.    I am almost ashamed to admit that.    It is not even close to what I was rocking 4 years ago.  I will be okay on the swim and bike.  How well I will run it will be anyone's guess.   Dealing with a bit of neuropathy has been an adventure.  

Michael, the bad manatee....

2018-01-05 9:27 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Expert
Illinois
Do we have any Manatee Zwifters? With this cold snap, I'm logging a lot of time on the trainer.
2018-01-05 9:51 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Originally posted by abake

Do we have any Manatee Zwifters? With this cold snap, I'm logging a lot of time on the trainer.

Yep, I do 90% of my biking on Zwift. These days I'm only riding 1 or 2 days a week but as we get closer to race season I plan on picking that up.
2018-01-05 10:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by abake How is everyone doing in this winter weather snap? It's -24 with the wind chill in Central Illinois today and it looks like we got a bit of snow.

My Massachusetts sister peer-pressured me into a Winter Warrior challenge -- a mile a day outside for the month of January. I'm in Illinois like Anne (though, in a Chicago 'burb) and it's been absolutely FRIGID here to start the year. 

I've been walking my mile as I don't have good enough cold-weather running gear. Okay, actually, I don't have running gear for sub-arctic weather, LOL. And while there are 1, 3 and 5 mile tiers to the challenge, it really is too cold to be out for more than a mile. 

All that said, I've actually found myself kind of enjoying getting out. There's always some part of me that's absolutely freezing by the time I'm done, but it's somehow weirdly invigorating. 

As far as actual training goes, I'm lucky enough to have a treadmill in the house, so that's how I've been getting my real miles in. Also, getting back to hitting strength training hard again as well. 

So, I probably won't get any sympathy when I say I had to run in 30* temps this am 

I'll give you some sympathy. I just don't run in 30 degree weather. I cannot breathe and I find breathing to be rather important when running. Good for you!

You'll get sympathy from me also.  I am a baby about running or biking in the cold!

Edited by jenstewey 2018-01-05 10:15 AM
2018-01-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jenstewey

You'll get sympathy for me also.  I am a baby about running or biking in the cold!

Oh, I know. The forecast for my Sunday ride is not awesome! It was 25F last weekend when I rode and it doesn't look much better for this weekend.

2018-01-05 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

You'll get sympathy from me also.  I am a baby about running or biking in the cold!

You’ll get sympathy from me too regardless as to whether you are talking about 30F or 30C given that I have experienced both in the past 3 weeks.

2018-01-05 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

You’ll get sympathy from me too regardless as to whether you are talking about 30F or 30C given that I have experienced both in the past 3 weeks.
2018-01-05 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

You'll get sympathy for me also.  I am a baby about running or biking in the cold!

Oh, I know. The forecast for my Sunday ride is not awesome! It was 25F last weekend when I rode and it doesn't look much better for this weekend.

I don't even have clothing for biking in 50* weather!  I'd be on the trainer for sure if I had your temps!

2018-01-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

You've had it cold for your Disney adventure, but at least the sun has been out the last 2.5 days and should stay out. It is warming up soon, but hope not too soon to make for bad running weather. 

2018-01-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by abake Do we have any Manatee Zwifters? With this cold snap, I'm logging a lot of time on the trainer.
Yep, I do 90% of my biking on Zwift. These days I'm only riding 1 or 2 days a week but as we get closer to race season I plan on picking that up.

Yep, I do Zwift, Trainer Road, and Rouvy, but i may be dropping Zwift since i can get all it offers with the other 2, plus Rouvy has the IM Chattanooga course.

2018-01-05 10:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't even have clothing for biking in 50* weather!  I'd be on the trainer for sure if I had your temps!

It's a Cx ride and it should be sunny and not windy. I just worry about my toes!

2018-01-05 10:38 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Anne,

I will be on Zwift as soon as I get my power meter, though, my focus is currently for a March 3rd marathon, so I won't be getting serious on the bike until after that.

Edited by glfprncs 2018-01-05 10:38 AM
2018-01-05 10:42 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

I've got 19 to run tomorrow, and I'm hoping that the rising temperature trend that the meteorologist is predicting is right. I don't have a treadmill (nor a gym membership to use one) and I'd rather poke myself in the eye with sharpened #2 pencils than run 19 miles on a treadmill. I ran twice this week in 20-25 degree temps (and for a SC girl, it was COLD!) and really would rather not deal with layers and a ski hat for 3+ hours.

Edited by glfprncs 2018-01-05 10:42 AM
2018-01-05 11:12 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Here's my bio

NAME: Markus, Nickname: Rossi, johnthecat is a long used alias for any gaming activities or online profiles

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook look for Markus Rossmeisl, Twitter: johnthecat11, Instagram johnthecat11. I'm also in the Manatee Strava group on Garmin and I use Endomondo as well.

STORY: I'm 47, live in the greater Houston area and work as a senior IT Manager. I was born in Germany and moved to the US in 1998. I competitively did gymnastics until the age of 14 when I blew my left ACL out. After that I stayed active with all kinds of other activities and sports which are too many to mention (Taekwondo, Juggling, Mountain Biking are a few). At age 34 I picked gymnastics back up and still do it on a somewhat irregular basis when I can. It's hard to find gyms that take adults and I'm also not getting younger. In my late 30's a coworker got me interested into doing a Triathlon and I got myself a road bike and somewhat started to practice. Due to major live events an actual Triathlon didn't happen until almost a decade later though. The final breakthrough and motivation came after I came down with Guillain-Barre Syndrome in January of 2013. This disease attacks your peripheral nerve system by attacking (and eating away) the myelin sheath (outer layer of your nerve). This causes weakness in arms and legs, tingling and in my case since it also damaged nerves of my autonomous system it caused all kinds of interesting fluctuations and issues with blood pressure, heart rate, sugar regulation, dizziness, gastro issues, heat regulation etc. By the end of 2014 I was finally about 90% recovered and made it my goal that 2015 would be it for my first Triathlon. I ended up doing 3 of them that year and another 4 in 2016. Then in December of 2016 I came down with a bad gastro virus that triggered either another case of Guillain-Barre or I might even have the chronic version of the disease that's called CIDP. The verdict on that is still out as even the doctors are somewhat baffled as I don't follow a typical progression with this disease. I spent pretty much all of 2017 ruling out other issues and recovering from this episode, including monthly IV infusions, Physical Therapy and a lot of patience. My plan is to at least complete one Tri this year.

FAMILY STATUS: married for 19 years with two out of four children still living at home, a daughter 5 1/2 and an almost 7 year old boy

CURRENT TRAINING: Was going to start last week until the cold wave hit Houston. We are not used to temperatures below 32 around here. Will start slowly to see if body can handle it without acting up. Need to watch Inflammation levels

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Nothing chosen yet, but plan on doing 2 to 3 sprints

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Advise, Support and being part of a fun group

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: It's been fun to watch how supportive this group is and how long lasting

Edited by johnthecat 2018-01-05 11:17 AM
2018-01-05 11:14 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

Anne,

I will be on Zwift as soon as I get my power meter, though, my focus is currently for a March 3rd marathon, so I won't be getting serious on the bike until after that.

Great!
2018-01-05 1:39 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by glfprncsAnne,I will be on Zwift as soon as I get my power meter, though, my focus is currently for a March 3rd marathon, so I won't be getting serious on the bike until after that.
Great!
I'm starting to train for a marathon too, so won't be on the bike much until after April.

2018-01-05 5:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

It's a Cx ride and it should be sunny and not windy. I just worry about my toes!

Do you have toe warmers or shoe covers? they make a big difference.
2018-01-05 6:00 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL

Do you have toe warmers or shoe covers? they make a big difference.

I have both. The toe warmers were not quite enough so I'll try the shoe covers this weekend. I wasn't sure about the shoe covers on the Cx bike but actually I'll be they are better on that than for road riding since there is less stop and go on the trails.

2018-01-05 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 6-7
Stacey
- WDW half marathon
Stacey - WDW marathon
Chris - Piggy's Revenge ride

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday (sorry that I didn't catch this last week!

Disabled List:
Melanie - under the weather
Lisa - under the weather

2018-01-05 10:05 PM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

January 6-7
Stacey
- WDW half marathon
Stacey - WDW marathon
Chris - Piggy's Revenge ride

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday (sorry that I didn't catch this last week!

Disabled List:
Melanie - under the weather
Lisa - under the weather

Good luck racers!

Get well sickies!

No problem, Janyne!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14086 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 28284 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis