BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-03 7:43 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by DaveL

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Where is your dream job?  What is your dream job?  Clearly it's not playing Property Brothers' contractor ;-)

okay, story time. I went into a business program in college at 19 in-spite of my parents insistence that I should be looking at the trades, specifically electrical. I as a 19 year old knew better but after 15+ years of hating work in business I decided to go back to school into and electrical engineering program. My dad worked at Bruce Power as a Control Technician for most of his career and I had set high hopes and expectations of getting there as well. For the last 5 years I have straddled the 2 worlds as a sort of hybrid tech support / presales eng / product manager for a industrial electronics/electrical sales company. Its been a long haul including a year long evaluation process (interviews and testing) and it seems that I have overshot my expectations and ended up being offered the role of Nuclear Operator which basically oversees the operation of the Nuclear plant. The move is to Kincardine - a small lake side town where I grew up. My wife and I are both from small towns and pretty much hate the city and I am looking forward to not sitting in traffic for 2.5 to 3hrs per day.

Woo hoo!  Congrats!  That's quite a promotion. 

I googled Kincardine.  Pretty light house :-)

What a pretty place and WOW, great job  opportunity.

Don't get too excited, Robin.  I'm pretty sure that the nuclear facility that Dave will be managing is no pictured here ;-)

2016-11-03 9:03 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Has  anyone been following the trail runner Dave Mackey's story? Geeze. 

TL;DR Version to save you some google-time

2004: Ultra Runner of the Year USATF

2005: Ultra Runner of the Year USATF

2007: R2R2R FKT

2011: North America Ultra Runner of the Year, 

2015: Took a (horrific) fall on bear peak, mangling his leg 

He underwent something like 7 surgeries shortly after the accident and they were able to save his leg.

He's since had several more surgeries and rehab. Surgeries and rehab. But made the decision to amputate (which took place yesterday)

I can't imagine making that decision! 

Wow, what a story! Since watching the The Barkley Marathons I have a newfound appreciation for ultra runners. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a documentary about Mackey someday too.

Unrelated but does anyone one here have Sram Etap? I posted in the Gear section of BT but I'm not sure it gets many looks. I'm thinking of upgrading my mechanical setup and am debating if it's worth the cost.
2016-11-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Katy, Texas
Hey y'all. Sadly checking in for the first time in awhile due to seeing the news about Steve on instagram. I hope you all are doing well. Looks like I missed some Steve bracelet deal, is it too late to get one?

Prayers for Steve's family as well as for the pod.
2016-11-03 1:44 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, all this privacy/stalking talk moved me to lock down my BT blog to only people I want (mainly manatees).  If anyone can't see my blog who wants to, please let me know and I'll add you, but I think I got all active/semi-active manatees that communicate.

2016-11-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, all this privacy/stalking talk moved me to lock down my BT blog to only people I want (mainly manatees).  If anyone can't see my blog who wants to, please let me know and I'll add you, but I think I got all active/semi-active manatees that communicate.

I try to keep mine open to those in the group, but tend to limit things to about that. Had some issue before with 1 or 2 people in trying to add them. Think they had already set theirs and somehow I couldn't friend them. Seemed a bit odd.

I did hear back from Strava. Seems like any club/challenge/leaderboard we join will have our public workouts in the activity section. Request to Follow does limit some of the data shown, but not nearly as much as thought. There are public and private clubs, so asked for clarification on that. Sure hope the private is members only as one would think. No one except you can see a private workout regardless of what club/challenge/leaderboard is joined. Likewise for the privacy zone, no one but you should be able to see within it.

2016-11-03 2:14 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

I try to keep mine open to those in the group, but tend to limit things to about that. Had some issue before with 1 or 2 people in trying to add them. Think they had already set theirs and somehow I couldn't friend them. Seemed a bit odd.

I did hear back from Strava. Seems like any club/challenge/leaderboard we join will have our public workouts in the activity section. Request to Follow does limit some of the data shown, but not nearly as much as thought. There are public and private clubs, so asked for clarification on that. Sure hope the private is members only as one would think. No one except you can see a private workout regardless of what club/challenge/leaderboard is joined. Likewise for the privacy zone, no one but you should be able to see within it.

Ah!  I hadn't really thought about the challenges.  I may stop joining those.

2016-11-03 2:37 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK So how does one train to get better at burning fat?

I don't know that one should train specifically to get better at burning fat, but rather to train appropriately in general and then for the race in mind, and let something like this come to where it does as a result of that training. Could work into one of those logical fallacies, getting in one's own way again. Remember that just getting into better shape can raise up everything.

Oh so just training in the first place would help then

Some people are trying to science around that, but not quite there yet.

2016-11-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, I let them know that this was concerning how easy it is to misunderstand. I mean, we have people in research, documentation, and law here, but still didn't know all this. And that fears are not unfounded as criminal action has happened to direct friends (not vague friend of friend) and even against members of the group here. So mun fun potential, but people do get hurt.

2016-11-03 3:26 PM
in reply to: #5193167

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Ben - I think at one time I couldn't see your logs here, not sure at the moment. I had figured you are a fairly private person so it wasn't a concern for me. I can see you kicking my butt on Strava anyway The entire discussion filters across all social media, so...
2016-11-03 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5203929

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Yet, someone Sean saw a post on IG and became aware on a different topic we were discussing, so while the privacy factor is scary , the info part CAN be helpful. Everyone has to balance it out.
2016-11-03 5:31 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Jet Black

Hey y'all. Sadly checking in for the first time in awhile due to seeing the news about Steve on instagram. I hope you all are doing well. Looks like I missed some Steve bracelet deal, is it too late to get one?

Prayers for Steve's family as well as for the pod.
Good to see you Sean, sorry that it was such sad news that made you drop in. I hope that you are doing well.

2016-11-03 6:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66 Ben - I think at one time I couldn't see your logs here, not sure at the moment. I had figured you are a fairly private person so it wasn't a concern for me. I can see you kicking my butt on Strava anyway The entire discussion filters across all social media, so...

Well, I'm not doing nearly as much now as I have in the past. You should be able to see as you've been with the group longer than I have. Did turn it off to everyone a couple times with other stuff going on and only dropped a few people who haven't been on in forever and likely weren't big posters in the first place. I don't really blog things like others tend to, sticking to more basic (& efficient   workout details. But by all means, questions about anything I've done are welcome as it's still not always obvious what I'm doing. I did have someone ask a ways back why every ride looked the same, as they all showed up at 2-2.5 hrs a number of days a week, but then pointed out the TSS listed there explaining how it was related to stress or intensity. Even without much familiarity it's rather apparent that a number like 150-160 is much more than 100 or so. The runs have something similar now. All look the same with pace and BT might not pick up the manual intervals (vs the automatic mile ones). Overall it looks like another day of 9+ min miles, but some detail to that is 3 short (30-60") harder efforts up some steep hills and then half a mile up a more gradual one. Strava Adjusted (GAP) pace puts the short ones near 6'/mile and the longer one ~6:45. Actual pace was notably slower due to the steep grade in sections, but the run now appears quite a bit different than a steady low 9' pace! In Daniels speak it would be an abbreviated R-Pace & T-Pace set.

2016-11-03 7:01 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK So how does one train to get better at burning fat?

I don't know that one should train specifically to get better at burning fat, but rather to train appropriately in general and then for the race in mind, and let something like this come to where it does as a result of that training. Could work into one of those logical fallacies, getting in one's own way again. Remember that just getting into better shape can raise up everything.

Oh so just training in the first place would help then

Some people are trying to science around that, but not quite there yet.

Heh.. I love science buuuuuut

2016-11-04 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66 Ben - I think at one time I couldn't see your logs here, not sure at the moment. I had figured you are a fairly private person so it wasn't a concern for me. I can see you kicking my butt on Strava anyway The entire discussion filters across all social media, so...

Well, I'm not doing nearly as much now as I have in the past. You should be able to see as you've been with the group longer than I have. Did turn it off to everyone a couple times with other stuff going on and only dropped a few people who haven't been on in forever and likely weren't big posters in the first place. I don't really blog things like others tend to, sticking to more basic (& efficient   workout details. But by all means, questions about anything I've done are welcome as it's still not always obvious what I'm doing. I did have someone ask a ways back why every ride looked the same, as they all showed up at 2-2.5 hrs a number of days a week, but then pointed out the TSS listed there explaining how it was related to stress or intensity. Even without much familiarity it's rather apparent that a number like 150-160 is much more than 100 or so. The runs have something similar now. All look the same with pace and BT might not pick up the manual intervals (vs the automatic mile ones). Overall it looks like another day of 9+ min miles, but some detail to that is 3 short (30-60") harder efforts up some steep hills and then half a mile up a more gradual one. Strava Adjusted (GAP) pace puts the short ones near 6'/mile and the longer one ~6:45. Actual pace was notably slower due to the steep grade in sections, but the run now appears quite a bit different than a steady low 9' pace! In Daniels speak it would be an abbreviated R-Pace & T-Pace set.

The whole privacy conversation has been interesting to me. I find that my motivations for using any of these apps is more social in many regards than training improvement or tracking related. I think that aspect is a tangible part of the growth and use for many. We are able to "connect" with "our people" if you will. I think the psychology is not lost on the site designers and owners. The privacy part is merely an afterthought to the ownership.

Make no mistake, in the end it boils down to $$$. How did Google or Facebook get so big? They figured out that knowledge has value. They figured out that your past internet use can be used to drive your future purchases. Value.  While we may struggle with the privacy/stalker/safety issue, they continue to present running shoe sales and bike parts and swim gear to triathletes, all the while presenting high heeled shoes and dresses to TW. 

I guess my point is that only when safety and security becomes a boiling point for a large portion of society will we have the builders, designers and visionaries working on it as well. Until then, do the best you can, be aware, and be prepared. Heck, this discussion has been going on since the first phone book was published.

2016-11-04 6:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

The whole privacy conversation has been interesting to me. I find that my motivations for using any of these apps is more social in many regards than training improvement or tracking related. I think that aspect is a tangible part of the growth and use for many. We are able to "connect" with "our people" if you will. I think the psychology is not lost on the site designers and owners. The privacy part is merely an afterthought to the ownership.

Make no mistake, in the end it boils down to $$$. How did Google or Facebook get so big? They figured out that knowledge has value. They figured out that your past internet use can be used to drive your future purchases. Value.  While we may struggle with the privacy/stalker/safety issue, they continue to present running shoe sales and bike parts and swim gear to triathletes, all the while presenting high heeled shoes and dresses to TW. 

I guess my point is that only when safety and security becomes a boiling point for a large portion of society will we have the builders, designers and visionaries working on it as well. Until then, do the best you can, be aware, and be prepared. Heck, this discussion has been going on since the first phone book was published.

phone book? what's a phone book?

2016-11-04 6:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep, every time I go anywhere on the Internet, someone tries to sell me a wetsuit. That is the only thing that pops up when I go on BT--the same dude in a wetsuit, year after year. I believe I have bought a total of three wetsuits online over six years (all from the same company, ironically, NOT the ones that advertise to me. They're from an Oregon company whose suits I tried at an event.), but they must think that is the only product I ever purchase. Of course I buy other things online (electronics, bike stuff, running shoes, race nutrition and the occasional non-sports purchase), but I don't get pop-ups for those. Weird. I guess I fit someone's profile of a serial wetsuit buyer.

ETA Freaky--I just posted this and the pop-up beside my post has changed to Infinit.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-04 6:59 AM

2016-11-04 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yeah, I let them know that this was concerning how easy it is to misunderstand. I mean, we have people in research, documentation, and law here, but still didn't know all this. And that fears are not unfounded as criminal action has happened to direct friends (not vague friend of friend) and even against members of the group here. So mun fun potential, but people do get hurt.

Ben, thanks for letting the folks at Strava know this.  Like I said, I never would have thought about Challenges as being a security risk.  I get that groups could be and I only below to "non public" groups and when I think about it, I can see that a challenge is more or less a special group but it would not have occurred to me.

2016-11-04 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep, every time I go anywhere on the Internet, someone tries to sell me a wetsuit. That is the only thing that pops up when I go on BT--the same dude in a wetsuit, year after year. I believe I have bought a total of three wetsuits online over six years (all from the same company, ironically, NOT the ones that advertise to me. They're from an Oregon company whose suits I tried at an event.), but they must think that is the only product I ever purchase. Of course I buy other things online (electronics, bike stuff, running shoes, race nutrition and the occasional non-sports purchase), but I don't get pop-ups for those. Weird. I guess I fit someone's profile of a serial wetsuit buyer. ETA Freaky--I just posted this and the pop-up beside my post has changed to Infinit.

It could be worse, when I look at Facebook, I get a "sponsorrf post" trying to sell me a scale!

Edited by jmkizer 2016-11-04 7:58 AM
2016-11-04 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Talk to me about resting heart rate.

First thing in the morning?

The lowest number or the first number? 

I have an $8 pulse oximeter that I can put on my finger to get my pulse.  I used to keep it by my bed and check it every morning.  I did this for over six months and then realized that this data was not useful to me so I stopped.  Now I'm working with someone who would like me to track this.

Anyway, when I first put it on this morning before getting out of bed, it said 55 and then dropped to 54.  I laid there a bit more and looked again and it said 51 but then jump back up and kept flipping between 54 and 55.  So should I put in 51 or 55 or 55? 

2016-11-04 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have an $8 pulse oximeter that I can put on my finger to get my pulse.  I used to keep it by my bed and check it every morning.  I did this for over six months and then realized that this data was not useful to me so I stopped.  Now I'm working with someone who would like me to track this.

Anyway, when I first put it on this morning before getting out of bed, it said 55 and then dropped to 54.  I laid there a bit more and looked again and it said 51 but then jump back up and kept flipping between 54 and 55.  So should I put in 51 or 55 or 55? 

Interesting. The only thing I have ever read about taking your RHR is to take it before you get out of bed before any physical activity. I thought the difference b/w the 55 and 51 might be you waking up to an alarm and then relaxing afterwards, but if  after hitting the low at 51 it then goes back to 54 or 55, I'd think that is your range. Which one? I'd just pick one 

Edited by amd723 2016-11-04 8:51 AM
2016-11-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Interesting. The only thing I have ever read about taking your RHR is to take it before you get out of bed before any physical activity. I thought the difference b/w the 55 and 51 might be you waking up to an alarm and then relaxing afterwards, but if  after hitting the low at 51 it then goes back to 54 or 55, I'd think that is your range. Which one? I'd just pick one 

Is that oximeter showing live values or giving back a single reading, like a thermometer might? I'd probably go with the lowest that appeared with some regularity, so still a bit vague and dependent on the answer.

2016-11-04 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Is that oximeter showing live values or giving back a single reading, like a thermometer might? I'd probably go with the lowest that appeared with some regularity, so still a bit vague and dependent on the answer.

It takes a second to start reading and then gives live values.

2016-11-04 9:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Were you laying down when you took any of the readings?  I wonder if sitting quietly at your desk at work, say, would give a different number than laying still in bed. As for what number to use, maybe take an average of those 3 numbers?   Perhaps ask the person you are getting the numbers for when/how he prefers you take the reading.

Edited by melbo55 2016-11-04 9:18 AM
2016-11-04 9:19 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Were you laying down when you took any of the readings?  I wonder if sitting quietly at your desk at work, say, would give a different number than laying still in bed. As for what number to use, maybe take an average of those 3 numbers?  I think I'd be more inclined to use a number like they get in the doctor's office, like after you are sitting quietly for about 10 minutes or so over a laying in bed prone number.  Just my thought.  Perhaps ask the person you are getting the numbers for when/how he prefers you take the reading.

Yes, I was still in bed.  This was maybe 2-3 minutes before the alarm was set to go off. 

2016-11-04 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

The Band 2 I've been wearing tells me that my resting heart rate has been about 43 for the last few nights. It runs a graph that shows my heart rate being consistently low while in "light" sleep.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.