BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-06 9:04 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by Hot Runner Arrrgh! Just have to vent. Over the past year, I have, successively, lost my only local sources for whole wheat bread and whole grain pasta (the bakery went out of business; the store refuses to carry it as there isn't enough demand). Now, for the second time in six months, all local stores are out of basically all brands of granola bars. The only product now available (at only one store) retails for the equivalent of $9 for a box of six bars that has a net weight of about 6 ounces. (So roughly $25/pound!) This is a big deal for me--I can't do substantial workouts on an empty stomach, and I can't handle any wheat or dairy products before running. Baking my own....would be a great idea, but I'm not a Martha Stewart type, and don't really have any baking supplies, or a real oven. I can get oats (for a goodly price) and vegetable oil; anything else is going to be crazy expensive. Anyone have an awesome, really basic, wheat-free energy bar recipe that could be made in a toaster oven? Can't include ANYTHING fancy like agave or carob or chocolate chips or anything one can't get for a reasonable price in the third world. Only expats bake here, so anything baking related is sold only in specialty stores that charge what the market will bear, particularly during holiday season. That includes most nuts. (Peanuts are semi-reasonable, cashews an occasional extravagance. Forget about walnuts or almonds--up to $50 a pound, if you can find them.) Or sending anything in--customs duties are such that shipping and duty will far exceed cost of item, if it even arrives. If I lived in Laos, or the countryside, I would just buy a big banana leaf full of sticky rice cooked in coconut milk every few days and use that before workouts. But I don't even have a vendor for THAT anywhere near here, because I live in an "upscale" neighborhood where the street vendors aren't allowed. I swear I have the worse of both worlds, food-wise. Okay--rant over! Thinking through the suitcase full of food I am going to have to bring back if the granola bar situation does not resolve. Now regretting I didn't sign up for a du in Singapore in two weeks. Prices are no cheaper than here for many things, but at least there are a number of workable brands of granola bars!

Ugh!  How frustrating!  

Could you start with something like this and modify to suit your taste and ingredient availability?

Clean Eating No Bake Granola Bars

• 2 cups (200 g) old fashion oats
  • 1/2 cup (70 g) dried cranberries, fruit juice sweetened
  • 1/3 cup (50 g) raw cocoa nibs
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch sea salt (optional)
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) honey
  • 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup (200 g) raw, creamy almond butter

I was thinking substitute dried fruit of choice for cranberries and available nut/seed of choice for cocoa nibs (or roughly chop some bakers chocolate).  I almond butter isn't available, just whatever nut butter is.

2016-11-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6
Anne - Red Dog 100 Gravel Race on Saturday
Randee - Disney Wine and Dine 10k on Saturday
Randee - Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon on Sunday
Melanie - Across the Bay 10K on Sunday
Adam - City of Oaks half marathon on Sunday
Tom - Race to the Library on Sunday
Adrienne - PNTF Championship on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

Tried a CX race this morning, but dropped out early. Hard dirt base with lots of wetness on top made for a slick surface. Wet grass or thin layer of mud in every turn. Spent most of the time worrying about getting hurt again, so dropped out. Fitness is fine for it. Hole shot (the start) was easy enough to keep up with, could make up ground on the uphills and in the straights. Just felt too risky with lots of tight turns and mildly funny angles in them.

2016-11-06 1:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

Tried a CX race this morning, but dropped out early. Hard dirt base with lots of wetness on top made for a slick surface. Wet grass or thin layer of mud in every turn. Spent most of the time worrying about getting hurt again, so dropped out. Fitness is fine for it. Hole shot (the start) was easy enough to keep up with, could make up ground on the uphills and in the straights. Just felt too risky with lots of tight turns and mildly funny angles in them.

sorry you had to drop out, but sounds like the right decision and at least now you know your fitness is fine!

2016-11-06 5:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the ideas.....The one with the pics was actually one of the recipes I searched. Not sure about dates here--I've never really looked for them. My guess is imported and therefore expensive, but can check--maybe they grow them somewhere in Vietnam?? Almond butter--nope! If it can be found, at least $20-$25 for a jar. (I am serious--the import duty plus store markup is ridiculous.) Would have to sub peanut butter. The only affordable sweetener besides cane sugar would be honey (maybe--I think they do make it locally. It is sold at normal stores, not just the import shops.) As for dried cranberries--last year I tried to help my boss find some for a Thanksgiving dish and they were asking $40 for an 8-oz. bag. We just stood there staring at it and wondering who would pay that much, and why!

I could not afford to live here (or at least would not save much $, which is one of the main reasons I work overseas) if I didn't eat mainly local food. It's a pretty basic diet of white rice/noodles, veggies, lean meat, fish, tofu and some other veggie protein options, coconuts, tropical fruit. Tasty enough and one certainly won't get fat on it, but not always the best fuel for a skinny athlete with an active job. The lack of whole grains (as in can't get them anywhere for any price) is maddening. Just can't do local food at breakfast--I probably spend at least $25 a week on muesli and yogurt.) I would kill for a Whole Foods, or a Trader Joe's! There is just a weird retail dynamic here--really very few choices between super high-end items and low-cost (often poor quality) ones that are locally made or imported from China. That seems to go for food as well (except the imports from China--those are actually limited as Vietnamese are wary of the safety). There are plenty of fancy gourmet restaurants, and street stalls selling rice flour products in all their permutations, but I can't find a single place to buy real whole-wheat bread (as in not air bread, no sweeteners, all whole grain flour).

Yesterday I did manage to find a local product called "Fitness Bar" that seems about halfway between a rice crispy treat and a granola bar. It was kind of a kerfuffle to buy a box of them--they apparently are usually sold as singles. Will see how that goes down before trying my hand at baking.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-06 5:59 PM
2016-11-07 12:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

sorry you had to drop out, but sounds like the right decision and at least now you know your fitness is fine!

Thanks. Not really a big deal. Was just checking things out really. Can see CX racing isn't really for me, not a lot of racing is, really. Didn't think it would be either, but had to at least try. Such a fun atmosphere around it. Still love going off road.

Today is exactly 1 year from when the injury happened too. Weird feeling anniversary as what should one make of something like that? Probably have more strength now than before, though still working on stability as some things feel a little weird. Biking is generally going good. Running is getting back on track and is more enjoyable than in a long time even though I'm well short of a few years back. Weight is down to slightly less than pre injury and trending back to race level.

2016-11-07 12:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Talk to me about resting heart rate.

First thing in the morning?

The lowest number or the first number? 

I have an $8 pulse oximeter that I can put on my finger to get my pulse.  I used to keep it by my bed and check it every morning.  I did this for over six months and then realized that this data was not useful to me so I stopped.  Now I'm working with someone who would like me to track this.

Anyway, when I first put it on this morning before getting out of bed, it said 55 and then dropped to 54.  I laid there a bit more and looked again and it said 51 but then jump back up and kept flipping between 54 and 55.  So should I put in 51 or 55 or 55? 

I've done this a couple ways.  When I was measuring it consistently, I would measure it first thing in the morning.  Either in bed, or a when I made it out to a couch.  At first I was doing a straight-up 15 second count, and then moved to a HR app on my phone, and used that consistently.  Now I use my Garmin 235.  i take the lowest value.  An average over time, like 15", is nice, because it smooths out the bumps.

I'm typically between 40-44, but when I'm in shape I can dip into the high 30s.

2016-11-07 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by melbo55

I think the decision on anyone considering Cedar Point has just been settled per an email from Rev3:

Unfortunately, we will not be producing multi-sport events in Knoxville, TN or Cedar Point, OH in 2017. Here are the reasons why: 

Knoxville: It is our goal to produce events with the highest standard of quality. While we love Knoxville and have enjoyed our experience there over the last 7 years, recent participation numbers prohibit us from fulfilling that goal. We continue to work with Visit Knoxville in an effort to return REV3 Knoxville to the event calendar in 2018.

Cedar Point:  Cedar Point Amusement Park has informed us that Management has "adjusted their strategic initiatives" and will not be working with us to bring REV3 Cedar Point back in the foreseeable future. Although we have excellent working relationships with the Town of Sandusky, Cedar Point, Lake Erie Island Shores as well as the various police, sheriff's and fire departments we've worked so closely with over the years, we have exhausted every angle possible to keep Cedar Point on our event calendar. 

We have been very fortunate to have been supported by these two local communities. The volunteer support in Knoxville and Cedar Point has always been very strong and we are honored to have been able to produce these events for so many years.

I knew that the IM Chat 70.3 in May had successfully killed Knoxville.  I'm surprised about Cedar Point, considering that was the USAT Ultra Distance Championship venue. 

Disappointed, but not really surprised with Knoxville. Cedar Point is surprising with that championship there. It is new though they've had a few others there over the years, like Aquabike. Wonder if that will (or even can) go somewhere else as they seem to stay away from WTC races for the championships.

HFP Racing is another tri company in Ohio that is still doing everything from sprints to halfs.  Hopeuflly IM Ohio 70.3 won't kill those races.  HFP is the company that does the Triple-T (if you've heard of that being mentioned on IM Talk).  I'll probably end up doing an HFP HIM in the fall next year.  Would have liked to have done 70.3 Chatt, but didn't realize it would sell out so soon.

2016-11-07 12:12 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

In other news, I'm back to running again, which is GREAT.

2016-11-07 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Yay!

2016-11-07 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just plunked down the money for a coach to get me from my 50 to my 100 . I guess I'm committed now

2016-11-07 1:10 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

I just plunked down the money for a coach to get me from my 50 to my 100 . I guess I'm committed now

One way or another.

2016-11-07 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2016-11-07 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

One way or another.

Zing!

2016-11-07 3:10 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Whooooop whooooop! 

2016-11-07 3:11 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

One way or another.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH! 

2016-11-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

For those that enjoy trailrunning and photgraphy:

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/adventure/532-trail-runner-reader-photo-contest

Cool, thanks, Chris!  

2016-11-07 4:01 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Quick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
2016-11-07 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thats great Tom!
2016-11-07 4:38 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Quick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
i haven't done a marathon yet only halfs but I take my own gels cause I'm pretty particular about brands and flavours.

I don't run with music at all but the other 3 members of "team turtle" as we have become known all run with music and swear by it. I would suggest that you check the race rules and make sure if it is allowed. If it's allowed and you normally use it then no harm in taking it just because you have it with you doesn't mean that you have to listen to it.
2016-11-07 5:23 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook Quick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

I have never used headphones or brought music to any organized event. Not a fan of it for them either. Have never felt a need for it in any type of race or event. There will be a lot going on around you. This can help keep (and will need) your attention.

What have you been doing for nutrition on longer runs? Most ideal is to use the course as you have to carry it otherwise. Even in a half, that belt can feel heavier later on. If you don't know that the on course will work, or don't have an iron stomach that has shown to take a lot of stuff, then probably better to bring some of your own. 

2016-11-07 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Quick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Haven't run a marathon in a few years, but I have never used headphones/music, just don't like them.  I can't do gels, so I would always carry starbursts or tootsie rolls in my pocket. 

2016-11-07 11:39 PM

User image

Seattle

that's great news, welcome back
2016-11-07 11:42 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by TXTriRookQuick question for the group. For those of you marathon runners, do you bring your own gels / nutrition with you or rely on what's provided? Also, what about headphones / music? I'm running my 1st one next month and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do.
I use what's on the course if at all. However if you go that route do be sure to find out what it is and practice with it to be sure it's agreeable.Music is a no for me but generally personal preference. DO be sure headphones are permitted and if you decide to wear them make sure to stay aware of other runners.
2016-11-07 11:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
I had a great race on Sunday. Hoping to get a few minutes to write a report. One strange thing that has been happening after a shorter distance, race effort: massive sneeze attack then cold like symptoms for a few days (in endless runny nose, sneezing etc)Any idea what's up? This has happened at 3 or 4 races now.
2016-11-08 3:17 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Could it be anxiety related? I remember one student who always began sneezing violently every time we started math class, with no obvious physical cause. We didn't even do math at the same time every day!

But more likely, something in the air that you are breathing in at a high rate of speed (because of high effort). I had something similar happen in Singapore last year--actually the violent sneezing happened when I was downtown the day before, then during the race I managed to have a low-grade asthma attack on the last half of the bike and first part of the run of a sprint tri. Sneezing and congestion for a couple days after. But my colds ALWAYS involve sore throats, and I didn't get one--quite sure I wasn't sick. I think just something I inhaled!

Or maybe (like I suggested to my coach) I am just allergic to speed, or perhaps to my bike (had no issues at the aquathlon)?

Just realised that what I wrote about dates in previous post is kind of funny if one considers the other meaning. At least I didn't mention that I have no food processor, so I would have to chop them myself! Still contemplating the granola bar problem. I tested one of the other alternatives (oatcakes) this morning and it was a quite miserable failure--there is still enough wheat flour in them that my gut is not happy. What's weird is that I don't eat a gluten-free diet, or consider myself intolerant to it (love pasta) but since childhood I have not been able to stomach it before running or swimming--cramps and sits like a ton of bricks. Biking doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as long as it's not a crazy amount of food.

One more try with "Fit Bar" and then I am going to have to make like a third world Martha Stewart and bake, I guess.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.