BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Jet Black I feel like I'm going to puke. Someone pass me a beer.

You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.  I am sorry this isn't going well for you.  I hope that it somehow gets better over the next few days.  

BTW, who does this on a Wednesday? Don't these things usually happen on Friday around 4:00?

I feel so much better and yet so much worse for you all at once now, Jetson! (thatsyernamenow)

Well ... at least you + beer look really hot together. You've got that. And a job.

2015-01-28 10:15 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Jet Black I feel like I'm going to puke. Someone pass me a beer.

congratulations (not on the puking part!) !!

2015-01-28 10:20 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Jet Black Good news. I get to keep my job.

That is good news. And if it turns out like Janyne says and you WANT to leave, then you can job hunt while still getting a paycheck.

2015-01-28 10:33 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks everybody for the support! This has truly been a strange experience. I work for a huge company and they announced an "efficiency and simplification" project back in October/November. lol at the PC name for downsizing.

Basically, they built a new org chart that is appropriately sized, and then started plugging people into it. Once all the spots were gone, everyone else will be out the door. Kind of like musical chairs.

Anyway, we're talking about hundreds of people let go in a bunch of different departments. Some departments did theirs Monday or Tuesday. Today was our day. You had a meeting regardless if you were staying or going. Way too many one on one's to do and the end of the day on Friday.

2015-01-28 10:49 AM

User image

Master

I phrase I saw on IG a couple of days ago..."finding confidence in consistency". I liked it and thought I'd share.

2015-01-28 10:59 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HI KIDS! Just a quick drive by. Having a great time on vacation skiing the CO rockies! Breck Sunday and Tuesday, Vail Monday, Copper today and tomorrow and Friday TBD. We're skiing ourselves into the ground so I should be good and tired when I get home. And I'll be getting home to the aftermath of a blizzard - figures. I come out here and all the snow is at home! OH well - hope everyone is doing well. Gotta go wake the rest of these bums up so we can get to Copper nice and early!!

Sounds like a great trip.  Beautiful area.  Have fun and stay safe.

2015-01-28 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Whew!! Happy for you.  That is a tough thing to go through.

2015-01-28 11:17 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HI KIDS! Just a quick drive by. Having a great time on vacation skiing the CO rockies! Breck Sunday and Tuesday, Vail Monday, Copper today and tomorrow and Friday TBD. We're skiing ourselves into the ground so I should be good and tired when I get home. And I'll be getting home to the aftermath of a blizzard - figures. I come out here and all the snow is at home! OH well - hope everyone is doing well. Gotta go wake the rest of these bums up so we can get to Copper nice and early!!

Aaaaaammmmaaaazing! Man, CO is where it's at this year for snow. I have to hike for all of ours  

Share some pics of that sweet POW

2015-01-28 11:18 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by melbo55

Oh, dear manatees, thanks for all the laughs and smiles today, what a way to end the (work) day!  I'm glad I popped in for a visit before heading out the door!

And Janyne, "yous guys" is just those crazy Pittsburgh folk, not all of PA.    Kidding!  Kidding!  But seriously, it is most strongly associated with the Pitt area.

Speaking in PA...what exactly is up with your liquor laws? You buy 6 packs at the bar? And no more than 2 at a time? 

Back in college at Penn State, if you wanted to have a party you would go to the "State Store" for liquor, the "Distributor" for cases and/or kegs, and the "Bottle Shop" for six packs.  The State Stores and Distributors were not open on Sundays at all.  You weren't allowed to carry out more than 144 oz. at a time at the Bottle shops, so if you wanted more you took it out, put it on the ground or gave it to someone, and then went back in.

Oh, and don't forget about the "dry townships" sprinkled about throughout Pennsyltucky, where you can't buy anything, period.

I'm sure it's very effective at keeping people sober, lol!

2015-01-28 11:19 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Whew!! Happy for you.  That is a tough thing to go through.

Good to hear. That's such a tough situation, even when you survive it so to speak. Our company, like most people, went through this stuff in 08-09 and it was awful. 

It did teach me, for better or worse, to never put my eggs in one basket. 

2015-01-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Aaaaaammmmaaaazing! Man, CO is where it's at this year for snow. I have to hike for all of ours  

I'm so jealous!!  It's frustrating to have it so close and not be able to go.  Maybe next year....

All that skiing is good for the quads, hey?

2015-01-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

I'm so jealous!!  It's frustrating to have it so close and not be able to go.  Maybe next year....

All that skiing is good for the quads, hey?

BTW, I'm keeping my eye on the Pike's ascent registration opening. I already booked a little cabin thingy at the base of the mountain

2015-01-28 11:51 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, dear manatees, thanks for all the laughs and smiles today, what a way to end the (work) day!  I'm glad I popped in for a visit before heading out the door!

And Janyne, "yous guys" is just those crazy Pittsburgh folk, not all of PA.    Kidding!  Kidding!  But seriously, it is most strongly associated with the Pitt area.

Speaking in PA...what exactly is up with your liquor laws? You buy 6 packs at the bar? And no more than 2 at a time? 

Hello, welcome to the 1700s!  Yeah...we have very conservative, weird liquor laws that are ever so slowly catching up to the rest of the country.  Wine/liquor is sold in 'state stores' only, or private wineries/distilleries.  Beer/cider is only sold by the case at distributors.  Distributors are not open on Sundays and only some state stores are.  6 packs can be bought at the bar only 2 at a time, but one pays MUCH more than what they would cost buying a case.  There are a few select restaurants that allow single bottles to be purchased, mainly sub/sandwich shops.  One of our newer laws allows grocery stores/convenience stores that serves food and has seating for 20 (?) people or more are allowed to sell beer by the bottle/build your own 6-pack.  Needless to say with this being a new law, most grocery stores and quickie marts aren't able to sell because they don't have food and seating.  Craziness.  I also think bottled alcohol can't be sold before 11 am or noon, or is that NY?

2015-01-28 11:53 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

WHEW!!!

2015-01-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

One more quick post before I head off to a meeting:

Dad update: platelets still low at 62K but even that number is better than his 10K last week.  He seemed to be getting around pretty good this week.  I was over to have supper with him last night.

Tooth update: temporary filling in today, going to see endodontist tomorrow for possible root canal, or at least an idea what I'm in for - replacement or root canal.

2015-01-28 12:05 PM

User image

Seattle

One more quick post before I head off to a meeting:

Dad update: platelets still low at 62K but even that number is better than his 10K last week.  He seemed to be getting around pretty good this week.  I was over to have supper with him last night.

Tooth update: temporary filling in today, going to see endodontist tomorrow for possible root canal, or at least an idea what I'm in for - replacement or root canal.

Well sounds like good news on the dad front.

Let me know how the tooth thing goes. I have a referral for a endodontist...I have been putting it off. Fach. I guess I should do it. They went in to do a filling and it was quite deep, turns out they think the root is dead or whatev. Sighh. 

I didn't really mention this drama but, my bottom two teeth are broken off at the top from that whole punched in the face thing. BUT here is the wonderful thing (sarc) is that if I want them to truly be fixed, I will need to get braces because my bite is such that it will pop off the cap in like, a day if we leave it as is. The break is subtle, maybe the top 1/16th of an inch is gone and unless I point it out you probably wouldn't notice. I'm thinking that at 30 years old I am 1. not so vain that I REALLY care about fixing it and 2. Vain enough that I can't imagine spending possible one of the most important times of my career in adult braces. 3. $7,000 could be spent on so many cool things (yes, that is with insurance)

But I haven't 100% decided yet. 

2015-01-28 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Back in college at Penn State, if you wanted to have a party you would go to the "State Store" for liquor, the "Distributor" for cases and/or kegs, and the "Bottle Shop" for six packs.  The State Stores and Distributors were not open on Sundays at all.  You weren't allowed to carry out more than 144 oz. at a time at the Bottle shops, so if you wanted more you took it out, put it on the ground or gave it to someone, and then went back in.

Oh, and don't forget about the "dry townships" sprinkled about throughout Pennsyltucky, where you can't buy anything, period.

Seeing as though it took me seven years to graduate...un, not so much. 

2015-01-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Seeing as though it took me seven years to graduate...un, not so much. 

Ha!  And what it's REALLY good at is setting the stage for more people to drink and drive.  Great laws!

Having lived in PA, MA and OH, I can vouch for some truly bassackwards liquor laws out there.  All it means is that you just have to have a plan! 

On the y'all thing, the best I've heard was in a business meeting where y'alls' was used.  That is the plural possessive of y'all and did not cause an eyebrow (outside of both of mine) to raise when used.  Laughed my off for a bit over that one (which actually DID cause a couple eyebrows to raise... Oh well).

Mel - glad to hear about your dad's counts improving.  Good trend!

Mel and Salty - UGH on the teeth!  Just ugh...

Jetson (have to follow the lead Manatee on naming conventions!), congrats and happy for you on the job front.  Hope you can settle and enjoy work after this turmoil (do you like it?).

OK, back to the salt mines myself!

Matt

2015-01-28 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hello, welcome to the 1700s!  Yeah...we have very conservative, weird liquor laws that are ever so slowly catching up to the rest of the country.  Wine/liquor is sold in 'state stores' only, or private wineries/distilleries.  Beer/cider is only sold by the case at distributors.  Distributors are not open on Sundays and only some state stores are.  6 packs can be bought at the bar only 2 at a time, but one pays MUCH more than what they would cost buying a case.  There are a few select restaurants that allow single bottles to be purchased, mainly sub/sandwich shops.  One of our newer laws allows grocery stores/convenience stores that serves food and has seating for 20 (?) people or more are allowed to sell beer by the bottle/build your own 6-pack.  Needless to say with this being a new law, most grocery stores and quickie marts aren't able to sell because they don't have food and seating.  Craziness.  I also think bottled alcohol can't be sold before 11 am or noon, or is that NY?

NERD ALERT:

States, like PA, that have state stores or otherwise run the liquor stores etc., are holdovers from the period after the end of Prohibition.  Many states did not like that Prohibition ended and still wanted to control the consumption of alcohol, so they got in the business of importing it from other states, distributing it and selling it themselves, setting all the Draconian rules that are still in place in some areas. Some states allowed the individual counties to decide whether or not to allow alcohol sales.  Prohibition "only" ended in 1933, so you're really asking a lot of your state to redo its liquor laws 

2015-01-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

NERD ALERT:

States, like PA, that have state stores or otherwise run the liquor stores etc., are holdovers from the period after the end of Prohibition.  Many states did not like that Prohibition ended and still wanted to control the consumption of alcohol, so they got in the business of importing it from other states, distributing it and selling it themselves, setting all the Draconian rules that are still in place in some areas. Some states allowed the individual counties to decide whether or not to allow alcohol sales.  Prohibition "only" ended in 1933, so you're really asking a lot of your state to redo its liquor laws 

Thanks for the cool history lesson, Hands!  Oh yeah, that just reminded me of other weird laws - some states/bottlers can't distribute to PA (like New Belgium, to name one - I have to drive to MD to get that) and wine generally can't be ordered/shipped in to personal addresses (like homes).  I got some in, once, through some loophole that I think has since closed...

Edited by melbo55 2015-01-28 1:17 PM
2015-01-28 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

NERD ALERT:

Thanks for the cool history lesson, Hands!  Oh yeah, that just reminded me of other weird laws - some states/bottlers can't distribute to PA (like New Belgium, to name one - I have to drive to MD to get that) and wine generally can't be ordered/shipped in to personal addresses (like homes).  I got some in, once, through some loophole that I think has since closed...

Anyone else get the idea that Melanie is asking us to send her unmarked packages of wine and beer? 

2015-01-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

NERD ALERT:

Anyone else get the idea that Melanie is asking us to send her unmarked packages of wine and beer? 

Well ya know I've worked myself into a booze sponsor now...

2015-01-28 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

NERD ALERT:

Well ya know I've worked myself into a booze sponsor now...

Behold the power of social media!

2015-01-28 1:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Actually, now that I put that out there I should clarify, unfortunately they have kept their operation local in terms of no distribution. In fact, no bottling or canning. Just kegs and of course growler fills (which go bad in a few days.) I think shipping on a keg might be spendy...

2015-01-28 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Actually, now that I put that out there I should clarify, unfortunately they have kept their operation local in terms of no distribution. In fact, no bottling or canning. Just kegs and of course growler fills (which go bad in a few days.) I think shipping on a keg might be spendy...

mmm growler! I have had a growler last a month with no problem in my fridge. The cap was new and tight. then heat sealed so you could walk with it.

And why would I wait to drink a growler....Homebrew on tap. Hmmm, perhaps that is why the only thing in the house dropping weight are the kegs!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55488 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.