BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-29 5:32 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by axteraa

With about 3k to go, I put in a surge as one of the guys was dropping to the back of the paceline after a pull to see if he would fall off the back and he did (the poor kid that crashed - we just used him, lol).  Then inside of 1k to go there was a short hill, the 2nd guy attacked going up that and I had to hang on for dear life to stay with him, then a right hand turn with 400m to go and he went hard out of the turn but I was able to stay with him and from there I had the advantage of coming around him out of the draft.

NICE!!!  Extremely well played.  400m is a LONG WAY to go...silly triathlete...

I'm pretty sure his intention was for me to not hang on like I did.  He's a much better bike handler than I am and was able to take the turn more aggressively than I did.  I think if he had been able to keep the power up for another 5-10s he would have lost me.

2014-09-29 5:33 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by TankBoy

Ron posted that supposedly they finally got auto-import from Garmin Connect working with the BT logs:

1 - Make sure you have a Garmin Connect Account and Garmin Express Installed.

2 - In BT, go to Settings--> Training log --> Device Upload. Click on the button to link your accounts.

3 - Any workout manually imported in Garmin Connect (TCX, FIT, GPX) will automatically get sent to BT along with any workouts Garmin Express gets from your device.

Just set mine up - will see how it does. Will be interesting to see if it only grabs the stuff that is uploaded directly to garmin connect or if it also grabs stuff pushed over from training peaks (i.e. swims) by Taparik.

And I just switched over to Polar. Bad timing...

Worked perfectly for my run and ride today.

2014-09-29 6:45 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

With about 3k to go, I put in a surge as one of the guys was dropping to the back of the paceline after a pull to see if he would fall off the back and he did (the poor kid that crashed - we just used him, lol).  Then inside of 1k to go there was a short hill, the 2nd guy attacked going up that and I had to hang on for dear life to stay with him, then a right hand turn with 400m to go and he went hard out of the turn but I was able to stay with him and from there I had the advantage of coming around him out of the draft.

NICE!!!  Extremely well played.  400m is a LONG WAY to go...silly triathlete...

I'm pretty sure his intention was for me to not hang on like I did.  He's a much better bike handler than I am and was able to take the turn more aggressively than I did.  I think if he had been able to keep the power up for another 5-10s he would have lost me.

Nice going!

2014-09-29 8:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Congrats Arend, way to represent!!!

2014-09-29 8:34 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

My (and Marc's) HIM this weekend has a hi of 94 (and a real feel of 95....).

Give me your best racing in the heat techniques. 

I have a few ideas, but always looking for better ideas.  I come home from a 45 minute run in 65 degree weather soaked, so I just run hot.  I have de soto cool wings and arm warmers, but with a non wetsuit swim I'd have to get the cool wings under the tri top (or could wear over, kinda dorky...)

Will be bringing a hand bottle for ice water at stations.  Putting ice in my palms. And slowing down.  Definitely.

What else?

2014-09-29 9:43 PM

Master
Northern IL

Since Las Vegas, my chosen method has been avoidance of heat, but yeah, that doesn't help at all. All I can figure from training is to go ridiculously slow compared to normal.

2014-09-30 2:43 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

While somewhat terrifying and a bit of a shock, I found ice down the tri shorts to be pretty helpful.  At least it took my mind off of how hot it was....  

that's all I've got really, I have a hard time with the heat too and I don't think I've ever raced in temps that high.

2014-09-30 4:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

I have a few ideas, but always looking for better ideas.  I come home from a 45 minute run in 65 degree weather soaked, so I just run hot.  I have de soto cool wings and arm warmers, but with a non wetsuit swim I'd have to get the cool wings under the tri top (or could wear over, kinda dorky...)

Will be bringing a hand bottle for ice water at stations.  Putting ice in my palms. And slowing down.  Definitely.

What else?

I hope heat will be an issue for me. High probability of a swim, bike, walk.

Physio did acupuncture yesterday and will follow up today....we'll see. I am hoping no running or biking for a week allows me to get through. It's the biggest taper on top of a low base I have ever done, but hey, who knows. Live and learn.
On the + side, I found a Dr to figure out what is going on. He is a sports doctor recommended by a neighbor who is on the olympic bobsled team

ice in the hat works for me

Edited by marcag 2014-09-30 5:04 AM
2014-09-30 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

What else?

Water/ice on the head at the aid stations. If you need a hat, try a visor to let the heat escape and the ice/water sit directly on your head.

2014-09-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Agree with Marc. I switch from visor to hat and put ice in it. It does help quite a bit.

BTW Arend, not sure if I said it here or just on Strava but congrats again on the bike race! Winning them is pretty hard and the fittest guy definitely doesn't always win so smart racing!
2014-09-30 10:16 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Barrelman RR is up.  It's a bit long and mildly depressing at times.

2014-09-30 10:18 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

What else?

I hope heat will be an issue for me. High probability of a swim, bike, walk. Physio did acupuncture yesterday and will follow up today....we'll see. I am hoping no running or biking for a week allows me to get through. It's the biggest taper on top of a low base I have ever done, but hey, who knows. Live and learn. On the + side, I found a Dr to figure out what is going on. He is a sports doctor recommended by a neighbor who is on the olympic bobsled team ice in the hat works for me

I hope it works Marc!  Both the taper and the new doctor.

2014-09-30 10:19 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by JAYCT Agree with Marc. I switch from visor to hat and put ice in it. It does help quite a bit. BTW Arend, not sure if I said it here or just on Strava but congrats again on the bike race! Winning them is pretty hard and the fittest guy definitely doesn't always win so smart racing!

Thanks Jay and everyone else.  I'm sure things would have played out differently without the crash but I'll take it!  

2014-09-30 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hope it works Marc!  Both the taper and the new doctor.

Thanks.

Sometimes it's good to look back at old races and remember that it worked out just fine despite the obstacles. I was kind of whining about the injury to my buddy, who reminded me of Florida 2012 when I poured scorching coffee on myself and burned....well you know where. I could not do anything for a week prior to race and even did not know if I could swim 2 days before because the skin was just starting to heal. It all worked out just fine, as I am sure this race will. Besides, it's not like my livelihood depends on it. Man, I wouldn't want to be a pro triathlete. Talk about pressure.

My woes are mostly self inflicted.

a) I don't stretch nearly enough. I am as flexible as a steel bar. This winter I will either do yoga, pilates or both. This is crazy. To the point, I wonder if I could play something like badmintion. That stiff. I stretch and roll when inured, but never healthy. Stupid !!
b) I have huge muscle imbalances. I have good quads and hamstrings as we all do, but I have weak supporting muscles including adductors, glutes....These muscles tend to be the ones that snap. I plan to do some leg strength this year. First I will get assessed for where my greatest weakness is and the re- after a few months of work
c) I need to learn to take the easy days easy. This last injury was just stupid. I was running really well post WC. Really well. It just fell into place. I did a log run on a Sunday, felt great. Next day I was supposed to do an easy 30min, it turned into a tempo 10k. I felt I over did it. Rested a day and then during an easy 30min run, wham, hamstring just seized up. But it's all because I was too stupid to recover from that long run. I was trying to cram in training that I missed previously because of injury, only to injure myself more. I think this is one advantage of a coach, they keep over zealous people in check. Good ones do.

Coming back to Fred's questions on HRV...what I am seeing for me is the aerobic system can take quite a load, but the muscular system is fragile. All pointing back to lack of flexibility and strength imbalances.

FYI...on swim skins, etc. I have a HUUB swim skin and a DeSoto ITU style suit. I tried swimming with both to gauge which is faster. They are about the same and I get at least 3s/100m, maybe 4ish. Today the HUUB seemed a tad faster but I think it was just me being faster. But both are worth 3s/100 t least.

2014-09-30 11:58 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Originally posted by cdban66

What else?

Water/ice on the head at the aid stations. If you need a hat, try a visor to let the heat escape and the ice/water sit directly on your head.

I have nothing new to contribute but I find the ice in palms works miracles!
2014-09-30 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

While somewhat terrifying and a bit of a shock, I found ice down the tri shorts to be pretty helpful.  At least it took my mind off of how hot it was....  

that's all I've got really, I have a hard time with the heat too and I don't think I've ever raced in temps that high.

My June race this year was in blistering heat....the ice down the shorts trick is torture but it does help keep the mind on other things.  If you can get the ice to stay at the hip flexors, it's actually quite good at helping keep cool....it will eventually find its way to less comfortable places! 

Ice in the hat and water on the sleeves (if you can manage to get them on after the no-wetsuit swim) really helps, but I can't even count the number of blisters I had from my feet getting wet....was worth it to keep cool.

But my favorite trick, and one that only works for a select few of us....is to put ice in my bra top.  It stays solid for a while and it gives me more "water" between aid stations.  I am shameless

2014-09-30 1:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

My June race this year was in blistering heat....the ice down the shorts trick is torture but it does help keep the mind on other things.  If you can get the ice to stay at the hip flexors, it's actually quite good at helping keep cool....it will eventually find its way to less comfortable places! 

Ice in the hat and water on the sleeves (if you can manage to get them on after the no-wetsuit swim) really helps, but I can't even count the number of blisters I had from my feet getting wet....was worth it to keep cool.

But my favorite trick, and one that only works for a select few of us....is to put ice in my bra top.  It stays solid for a while and it gives me more "water" between aid stations.  I am shameless

A very good marathoner told me ice on the wrists (where you would take your pulse) or your neck (where you would take your pulse).
Apparently it's where the most blood is and will have the greatest effect. Not sure if all the docs will agree.

Now, Chris, maybe we should wear sports bras and fill em with ice. Would make for great race photos :-)
2014-09-30 1:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

. Now, Chris, maybe we should wear sports bras and fill em with ice. Would make for great race photos :-)

Honestly, I'd be willing to and not care what it looked like!

I've done the ice in the cap thing.  I find that gets REALLY cold and is hard to maintain.  In Milwaukee this year I didn't think it was all that hot but remembered that I held ice cubes in my palms station to station, that helped.  I did Orangeman a few years back in I think 95 ish degeee heat, and did the ice down the shorts drill.  Looked like I was dropping a ,,,,,  well,,,  it was ice only.

I ordered one of those cooling towels, the kind you wet and snap, for the run.  Also ordered two more for a couple friends I am going out there with.

Also ordered this  https://www.desotosport.com/product/LSDS    I've used the beanie and the arm coolers before and they work great in the desert heat, just have to keep them wet.  I may ride in this as well, as it's got great uvb protection.  If not I'll ride in a tri top and arm coolers and them put this on for the run.

And Marc, sorry about the injury, I was not aware.

Edited by ChrisM 2014-09-30 1:24 PM
2014-10-01 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Fred has gone missing with his WOD swim workouts so I will post mine for today.  This was my reintroduction to the pool after a couple of weeks away.

300 choice
200 IM (one arm fly)
6 x 50 on 1:00 descend 1-3, 4-6
2 x 200 pull on 3:30
30 x 50 on :50 with every 5th fast
300 CD

2014-10-01 11:54 AM

User image

Champion

Fred has gone missing with his WOD swim workouts so I will post mine for today.  This was my reintroduction to the pool after a couple of weeks away.

300 choice
200 IM (one arm fly)
6 x 50 on 1:00 descend 1-3, 4-6
2 x 200 pull on 3:30
30 x 50 on :50 with every 5th fast
300 CD

Maybe I'll do this today. Its Oct 1. Time to get in the wa wa. We will see how 50RI goes.
2014-10-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Champion
I'm in "Melissa is neurotically waiting for interview invites" mode now...

Save me from myself.

I think I might sign up for the Victoria 70.3. UBC would be paying for my flights that weekend from PG so I would just have to take the ferry over and stay with my grandfather. UBC pays for transport to triathlon...I'm basically sponsored...

2014-10-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond I'm in "Melissa is neurotically waiting for interview invites" mode now... Save me from myself. I think I might sign up for the Victoria 70.3. UBC would be paying for my flights that weekend from PG so I would just have to take the ferry over and stay with my grandfather. UBC pays for transport to triathlon...I'm basically sponsored...

I'm struggling with thinking of a reason for you to not sign up.

2014-10-01 8:39 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Barrelman RR is up.  It's a bit long and mildly depressing at times.

Excellent report and some great pics.  Congrats and thanks for posting.

2014-10-03 7:35 PM

User image

I'm on vacation in Vegas and didn't put one and one together that Silverman is this weekend. Good luck to Marc and Chris. I rented bikes with my gf on Thursday and weather was perfect. Well..cold in the morning....50. But never went above 80 till noon. Not so much the past few days. Rode river mountain trail where part of the bike course is and three sisters is nasty...but fairly short. Luckily we went counter clockwise so we descended three sisters instead of climbing it. I know what Chris means about lake Las Vegas now...that looks rather icky compared to lake mead.
2014-10-04 8:39 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

So....what would you do ?

I have not done any bike/run in a week
For the mastring/piriformisI did accupucture, dry needling, ultrasounds, ART......massage......all week.
The hamstring went from catastrophic to not so bad.

But Thursday I went to see how it was, 5min into the run the hamstring seized up. I stopped before any real damage was done. But it was 5min after all that therapy.

I have a few choices, what would you do...knowing I may be walking within a few minutes of the run

would you

a) DNS. This is probably not an option. I matter was swim/bike since I am here anyway. Be curious though if it would be your option.
b) Push the swim hard and hammer the bike and plan to walk it. If I am going to walk anyways, learn what this would feel like to really push the bike.
c) Same as b but don't bother walking. DNFing isn't great but neither is a 13mile walk.
d) Do the race as I would have normally done and see if I can run 1/4, 1/2.....full run is almost impossible. Given what happened Thursday, I am not too optimisit, but hey, maybe 2 more days made a difference.

What would you do ?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38185 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73625 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.