BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-12-30 7:38 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Happy Monday and Almost New Year!

I haven't formalized my goals for 2014 yet

First one is lose the 20 or 30 lbs. that joined my butt during marathon training last year.--thus the personal training TRX and bootcamp classes

I am learning to love running again--which is huge given how negative I felt about it when it fell apart in the above marathon training.  Still kind of tentative towards it, but I no longer dread it. Robin, Anne & Kathy can attest to how much I had begun to hate it.

I want to get to my 10K in a place to PR it in March--kind of a stretch for me right now since I am holding high 9's average pace and I need to hold  low 9 or less to beat my current PR.

I want to ride worthy of my pretty bike (see avatar)  so I have uploaded the winter training plan to start tomorrow.

Continue to work on m swim and he issues I almost always have in it….

2013-12-30 7:40 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by DJP_19

Steve,

As an old, fat, slow guy, my 2014 training goals are fairly simple:

Complete a 5k in 23:20 or better. (best 2013 result was 25:30 before an injury last July.)

Complete the Litchfield Hills Road Race in 60:30, stretch goal is 59:50. (Trying to finish in top 500. My 2013 result was 64:50)

Complete first Sprint Triathlon before at least 20% of finishers. (Event to be held in early June)
(biking and swimming disciplines are too new to me to call out specifics, so simply developing a level of proficiency is my current goal.)

Weight loss goal is 15lbs from 187lbs to 172lbs. Reduce BF % from current 20-21% to 17-18% range. (Think this will require the most discipline on my part.)

Now working to tweak my current run-centric workout plan to support the multi-sport training requirements in advance of the June Sprint.

Very timely post. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave

Dave--old, fat and slow is relative. If you can run an 8 minute mile, you're already ahead of about 90% of the population....and probably 95% of all 50+ aged men.

Dropping weight will have a huge impact on your running. The time penalty for carrying extra weight is significant in running, far more than biking or swimming. I see a strong, larger runner every so often, but it's pretty rare. It's just extra taxing on the cardio system to have to cary those pounds around the race course.

I don't know your training, but one thought is to focus you running workouts over the next 3-4 months on longer, SLOW distance to burn calories to help drop weight. Once your weight gets down in the target range (and you've got a strong fitness base) it should be much easier to then shift gears to put an emphasis on developing speed through weekly track/interval workouts. I would recommend this approach over trying to start building speed now by pounding out hard workouts. The likelihood of injury is just too high.

A 23:20 is about a 7:47 pace. Given the other times you shared, that seems doable.

Let me know if you want to brainstorm.

Steve

2013-12-30 10:02 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by abake

. . . What kind of nutrition do some of you follow, what works, what does not work?

Hi Anne,

I was re-reading some of the earlier posts and saw yours.  You have posed a loaded question!

According to the USDA, our diets should consist of 29% Fat, 53% Carbohydrate, and 18% Protein.  On the other hand, Body Builder Magazine says the percentages should be: 30% Fat, 40% Carb., and 30% Protein.  Then to add to the confusion, WebMD says the percentages we should strive for are: 20-35% Fat, 45-55% Carb,, and 10-35% Protein.  Whew, three fairly respectable sources, and they can't agree on the numbers.  To make matters worse, WebMD can't even settle on a single number but rather a range.  In reality, WebMD is probably the most accurate because nutrition is largely dependent upon the individual and what his/her goals are.  The person looking to lose weight is likely going to be eating differently than the person strenuously working out (Us?) versus the person trying to lose weight AND working out.

For what it is worth, I tend to more closely follow the Body Builder Magazine numbers - 30 % Fat, 40% Carb, and 30% Protein - although on strength training days I may up the protein and decrease the carbs.  I log everything I put in my mouth here on the BT nutrition logs.  I try not to obsess over meal to meal ratios or even daily ratios. rather I look at the weekly ratios and note any trends over several weeks.

I think of as much importance as the macro-nutrient ratios of the meals you eat is WHAT you actually eat.  To that extent I try to follow the 'common' rules - I do most of my shopping around the perimeter of the store; that is where the fresh fruits and vegetables are, along with the fresh meat, poultry and fish.  In general I try to stay away from refined sugars, go with whole wheat bread instead of white bread, and reluctantly drink 2% milk instead of whole milk.

Also of equal importance is your caloric intake.  A WORD OF CAUTION HERE!!!!!  If you are using the BT nutrition log and are logging your workouts, BT will give you a "From Lifestyle" calorie number.  Supposedly this is BT's approximation of your BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate - the minimum number of calories you need exclusive of exercise).  It will also give you an approximation of the calories burned from exercise and a net gain or loss.  THOSE NUMBERS ARE ALL WRONG!!!!!  The "Lifestyle" number for me was approximately 1,200 calories high and the exercise numbers were consistently 15-20% high.  The end result was when I calculated my daily caloric needs and subtracted 500 calories (so I could lose 1 pound per week) to determine my target calories per day, my diet was still 1,000 calories/day high.  After a few weeks of gaining 2 pounds/week, I learned the BT BMR number is too high.  Do a Google search for 'Calculate BMR' and go to a couple of those websites to get a more accurate estimate of your BMR.  When I did that, I had several different sites give me the same number which was considerably different from BT's.

Once you have determined your BMR, add for anticipated exercise, then subtract if you want to lose weight.  Remember that one pound is approximately 3,500 calories so if you want to lose 1 pound/week, you need a 500 calorie deficit per day.

There is a LOT more to nutrition than that, but what I have written down is sufficient to get a quick start.

Hope that helps.

Edited for punctuation.  Really!  I are a callage gratueight!

Nice discussion Scott.  Most calculators use the same equation for BMR so that result will be same on most sites.  Where I think a lot of calculators fail is in determining daily energy expenditure.  There is also a tendency for people to over estimate how active they are.  I wear a Fit Bit activity tracker and on a general work day often don't log more than 5000-7000 steps. I don't sit for more than 10-15 minutes at a time but still sit for the majority of any given hour. While I may think of myself as "busy" at work.  The reality is my head is busy not my body.   In addition a trained athlete will often burn fewer calories at a given exercise than someone just starting out, so as we all improve we may find the weight loss associated with starting our training cycle slows down.

I was on a website recently and really liked their calculator.  The link is here: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/.   I think they do a good job in explaining how to choose an activity level when calculating daily calorie goals which is based on general training load and activities of daily life..  As with anything try a level for a week or two and if it is not working as expected re-adjust.  If there is one thing all the diet hype in the New Year has shown us it is that there is no "right" diet and finding what works for you is best.

2013-12-31 5:57 AM

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by DJP_19

Steve,

As an old, fat, slow guy, my 2014 training goals are fairly simple:

Complete a 5k in 23:20 or better. (best 2013 result was 25:30 before an injury last July.)

Complete the Litchfield Hills Road Race in 60:30, stretch goal is 59:50. (Trying to finish in top 500. My 2013 result was 64:50)

Complete first Sprint Triathlon before at least 20% of finishers. (Event to be held in early June)
(biking and swimming disciplines are too new to me to call out specifics, so simply developing a level of proficiency is my current goal.)

Weight loss goal is 15lbs from 187lbs to 172lbs. Reduce BF % from current 20-21% to 17-18% range. (Think this will require the most discipline on my part.)

Now working to tweak my current run-centric workout plan to support the multi-sport training requirements in advance of the June Sprint.

Very timely post. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave

Dave--old, fat and slow is relative. If you can run an 8 minute mile, you're already ahead of about 90% of the population....and probably 95% of all 50+ aged men.

Dropping weight will have a huge impact on your running. The time penalty for carrying extra weight is significant in running, far more than biking or swimming. I see a strong, larger runner every so often, but it's pretty rare. It's just extra taxing on the cardio system to have to cary those pounds around the race course.

I don't know your training, but one thought is to focus you running workouts over the next 3-4 months on longer, SLOW distance to burn calories to help drop weight. Once your weight gets down in the target range (and you've got a strong fitness base) it should be much easier to then shift gears to put an emphasis on developing speed through weekly track/interval workouts. I would recommend this approach over trying to start building speed now by pounding out hard workouts. The likelihood of injury is just too high.

A 23:20 is about a 7:47 pace. Given the other times you shared, that seems doable.

Let me know if you want to brainstorm.

Steve

Dave, I agree with Steve. Establish a good base by slowly increasing your miles. If you try to increase your speed and mileage its a recipe for disaster. Weight makes such an impact on running to the tune of 2 seconds/mile/lb. If you develop a good base, speed will come. I always find that doing progression runs (start out slower and progress to below race pace) are much more fun. When I do intervals I want to flat out throw up! Plus, I feel like I'm too old to switch gears from running easy to an almost all out sprint!

Wendy
2013-12-31 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

All good goals Melanie...especially the one about "having fun." That's easy to forget sometimes during a long training effort. Dropping your 10K time from an 8:10 pace to a sub-8:00 pace ought to be very doable if you can get in some regular interval training and pace work. If you need any feedback, let me know. Steve

Thanks!  I'll be looking for some guidance once I get back into a regular run training schedule.   I've really slacked off since October.  My only targeted training runs - ever - are runs targeted as normal and 'faster than normal'!  

Today is a planned short 30-35 minute run just to get the legs to remember what running is like.

2013-12-31 7:41 AM
in reply to: jfodness

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

One goal I have is to complete a swim segment during a race doing all freestyle.  I've yet to do this.  I always end up doing a combination of freestyle and breasstroke.  The last 500m of 1500m is usually 20 strokes free, then 20 strokes breast, repeat.

I am a decent swimmer and usually complete the 1500m in a race somewhere between 25-28 minutes depending on conditions.

I think the main reason I have this issue is that it is difficult for me to get in training sessions that are longer than 30-35 minutes.

Any suggestions?

2013-12-31 8:14 AM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Steve, Wendy;

My current regimen is either 4 cardio/2 strength or 5 cardio/1strength session/week. Over the last 6 weeks, I've been averaging about 18 running miles/week. (tracked on running2win) I do both intervals and longer recovery paced runs.

My trainer suggests building to 26-30 miles/week. That seems to be in line with your suggestions of increased distance.

I also know deep down that the bottom line is that I have to be militant about food choices and portion control to shed more weight. Hoping that will lead to additional speed improvement.

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Dave

2013-12-31 9:19 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

I am looking forward to losing 10 pounds and eating better. When does the challenge begin?
2013-12-31 9:35 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Originally posted by hoffsquared

One goal I have is to complete a swim segment during a race doing all freestyle.  I've yet to do this.  I always end up doing a combination of freestyle and breasstroke.  The last 500m of 1500m is usually 20 strokes free, then 20 strokes breast, repeat.

I am a decent swimmer and usually complete the 1500m in a race somewhere between 25-28 minutes depending on conditions.

I think the main reason I have this issue is that it is difficult for me to get in training sessions that are longer than 30-35 minutes.

Any suggestions?

Melanie--you're selling yourself short. A 1500 in 25 minutes is a stellar time for most age groupers. Even 28 minutes would put you first out of the water for most 50+ women in the events I've been at and in about the top 25% of all women 50-59 at the Olympic Age Group Nationals. So, doing that while switching breast stroke/free is quite good.

Keep it up!

Steve
2013-12-31 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Any suggestions?

Melanie--you're selling yourself short. A 1500 in 25 minutes is a stellar time for most age groupers. Even 28 minutes would put you first out of the water for most 50+ women in the events I've been at and in about the top 25% of all women 50-59 at the Olympic Age Group Nationals. So, doing that while switching breast stroke/free is quite good. Keep it up! Steve

No kidding! I would be ecstatic with that time.

2013-12-31 9:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by QueenZipp

I am learning to love running again--which is huge given how negative I felt about it when it fell apart in the above marathon training.  Still kind of tentative towards it, but I no longer dread it. Robin, Anne & Kathy can attest to how much I had begun to hate it.

BEGUN to hate is an understatement. It was painful to watch as you pushed through the training. It is great to see you learn to love it again since you spent so much time getting back to running after your injury!

adding that it was painful to watch but very inspiring. Most folks would have dropped the whole thing, you just kept pushing on!

Edited by ceilidh 2013-12-31 9:57 AM

2013-12-31 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Any suggestions?

Melanie, I agree with others that your swim time is certainly more than fine, but I get the desire to go all the way free (and I imagine the people swimming next to you will also appreciate that goal). Any idea why you stop with the freestyle? Out of breath? Mental? Worried about seeing the finish?

btw, though she probably won't admit to it, Melanie has the potential to be All American. She's got the competitive fire, the right physique, solid in all 3 disciplines, and with the right training, I have no doubt that she could rock and roll. If things are similar to two years ago, her constraint is time.

Stu
2013-12-31 1:13 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by juneapple

Any suggestions?

Melanie, I agree with others that your swim time is certainly more than fine, but I get the desire to go all the way free (and I imagine the people swimming next to you will also appreciate that goal). Any idea why you stop with the freestyle? Out of breath? Mental? Worried about seeing the finish? btw, though she probably won't admit to it, Melanie has the potential to be All American. She's got the competitive fire, the right physique, solid in all 3 disciplines, and with the right training, I have no doubt that she could rock and roll. If things are similar to two years ago, her constraint is time. Stu

Thanks Stu and others...

So I looked at my swim times...not sure where I got the 25 minutes from (maybe exiting the water before running across a mat?).  Anyways, I'm solidly in the 27-30 minute range.  This is pretty much FOP in my age group in most races.  I have on one or two occasions come out of the water 1st or 2nd.

I basically get tired.  Not necessarily out of breath but tired enough that my form just falls apart.  Breastroke is like resting for me.  After a minute or so, I'm good for another 20-30 good freestyle strokes.  Then I get tired again.  And yes...I'm sure others around me would appreciate not getting kicked as I switch!

2013-12-31 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Originally posted by juneapple

Any suggestions?

Melanie, I agree with others that your swim time is certainly more than fine, but I get the desire to go all the way free (and I imagine the people swimming next to you will also appreciate that goal). Any idea why you stop with the freestyle? Out of breath? Mental? Worried about seeing the finish? btw, though she probably won't admit to it, Melanie has the potential to be All American. She's got the competitive fire, the right physique, solid in all 3 disciplines, and with the right training, I have no doubt that she could rock and roll. If things are similar to two years ago, her constraint is time. Stu

Thanks Stu and others...

So I looked at my swim times...not sure where I got the 25 minutes from (maybe exiting the water before running across a mat?).  Anyways, I'm solidly in the 27-30 minute range.  This is pretty much FOP in my age group in most races.  I have on one or two occasions come out of the water 1st or 2nd.

I basically get tired.  Not necessarily out of breath but tired enough that my form just falls apart.  Breastroke is like resting for me.  After a minute or so, I'm good for another 20-30 good freestyle strokes.  Then I get tired again.  And yes...I'm sure others around me would appreciate not getting kicked as I switch!

Melanie, I'm sure Scott will throw in his $.02 as the resident swim expert, but at a glance, I'd say you aren't swimming nearly enough for OLY length. At a minimum, you need to be getting in a hard 2500 yard+ workout once / week for that length race (plus ideally two other swim workouts, one of which is with some very hard repeats). I have a lousy internet connection this week, so I can only see some big picture things (like total yards for the year and a few random workouts). In addition, you might also have some technique issues (for instance, not relaxed enough on the reach, which could add to fatigue), and you might also need some more strength work (hard, like you want to puke sprints and/or some upper body weights). I'm going to guess it is a combination of at least 2 of these 3.

Why not set a goal for yourself of doing the postal time trial at the end of January (and maybe again in February)? That is where you see how far you can swim in an hour. I found it to be a good motivator last winter for me - I just did it unofficially, but it really upped my intensity of workouts in Jan and Feb, as well as getting a better base in swimming than years past. If only I had continued it into the season!! In fact, anyone else interested in aiming for that?

Stu
2013-12-31 3:20 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Columbia, Missouri
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Thanks for the encouragement...I am not sure what I am doing right now except reading and studying techniques. I kind of feel like a football player studying plays. I have started training but I am not seeing how fast, I can swim, bike, and run just developing techniques right now.
2013-12-31 3:29 PM
in reply to: ff1diver

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

found this link on weight loss and thought it would be helpful for all of us to look at….no earth shattering or new info--but common mistakes we all make

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/eight-weight-loss-mistakes-runners-make?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Nutrition-_-WeightLossMistakes

2013-12-31 4:11 PM
in reply to: ff1diver

User image

Regular
Originally posted by ff1diver

Thanks for the encouragement...I am not sure what I am doing right now except reading and studying techniques. I kind of feel like a football player studying plays. I have started training but I am not seeing how fast, I can swim, bike, and run just developing techniques right now.

Vicki:

A coach told me one time, "anything worth doing well is worth doing poorly at first." We all start as neophytes. Don't worry about speed, just worry about getting out for your workout. Do that with regularity and everything will fall into place for you just fine.

Steve
2013-12-31 4:30 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Kris67

I am looking forward to losing 10 pounds and eating better. When does the challenge begin?

Kristen:

James is the master of the contest. We talked about getting it going after the 1st of the year, so maybe we can fire it up starting next week.

James, your call?

Meantime, it's a good opportunity to eat all leftover Christmas treats prior to the contest.

Steve
2013-12-31 6:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Originally posted by Kris67

Kristen:

James is the master of the contest. We talked about getting it going after the 1st of the year, so maybe we can fire it up starting next week.

James, your call?

Meantime, it's a good opportunity to eat all leftover Christmas treats prior to the contest.

Steve

I was just about to PM you Steve.

Contest will begin Sunday night. I was thinking we could have it run till Memorial Day.

Everyone needs to let me know that they want to take part in the contest by replying "I'm In"

(+ - 10) points for every pound lost or gained

(+ 5) points for not gaining weight

(+ 1) point for every 30 minutes working out

Enjoy tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-12-31 6:13 PM
2013-12-31 7:07 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by JREDFLY
Originally posted by Kris67 I am looking forward to losing 10 pounds and eating better. When does the challenge begin?
Kristen: James is the master of the contest. We talked about getting it going after the 1st of the year, so maybe we can fire it up starting next week. James, your call? Meantime, it's a good opportunity to eat all leftover Christmas treats prior to the contest. Steve
I was just about to PM you Steve. Contest will begin Sunday night. I was thinking we could have it run till Memorial Day. Everyone needs to let me know that they want to take part in the contest by replying "I'm In" (+ - 10) points for every pound lost or gained (+ 5) points for not gaining weight (+ 1) point for every 30 minutes working out Enjoy tomorrow and the rest of the week. Happy New Year Everyone!!!

I'm in!

2013-12-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Farmington, Connecticut

2013-12-31 7:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I basically get tired.  Not necessarily out of breath but tired enough that my form just falls apart.  Breastroke is like resting for me.  After a minute or so, I'm good for another 20-30 good freestyle strokes.  Then I get tired again.

Hi Melanie,

Your times indicate that you probably have OK technique but if you are fatigued to the point that your technique suffers after only 20-30 strokes your swim fitness is not very well developed.  20-30 strokes is probably not even 50 yards which isn't very far and certainly shouldn't be far enough to effect your technique - even at a full sprint (10 RPE).  You mentioned that it is difficult to do swim sessions longer than 30-35 minutes.  Why?  Next, when you do a swim workout, what are you doing?  How many yards, etc.?

2013-12-31 7:46 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Contest will begin Sunday night. I was thinking we could have it run till Memorial Day. Everyone needs to let me know that they want to take part in the contest by replying "I'm In"

Hey James,

I'm in!

2014-01-01 12:30 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
James--

I'm in!

Steve
2014-01-01 6:26 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by QueenZipp

BEGUN to hate is an understatement. It was painful to watch as you pushed through the training. It is great to see you learn to love it again since you spent so much time getting back to running after your injury!

adding that it was painful to watch but very inspiring. Most folks would have dropped the whole thing, you just kept pushing on!

I would second Robin's observation and add that after following Judi, I remembered why I vowed to never sign up for another marathon again.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18765 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.