BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-01-06 2:43 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition OPEN

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

January 6-7
Stacey
- WDW half marathon
Stacey - WDW marathon
Chris - Piggy's Revenge ride

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday (sorry that I didn't catch this last week!

Disabled List:
Melanie - under the weather
Lisa - under the weather

Go racers go! 

Feel better Mel and Lisa

Happy belated bday Kirsten!

2018-01-06 6:24 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

January 6-7
Stacey
- WDW half marathon
Stacey - WDW marathon
Chris - Piggy's Revenge ride

January 4 is Kirsten's birthday (sorry that I didn't catch this last week!

Disabled List:
Melanie - under the weather
Lisa - under the weather

Keep going Stacey and Team Turtle!!!

Happy Birthday Kirsten.

2018-01-06 6:36 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello everyone and welcome to those I have not yet had the chance to say hello to. It has been a bit crazy at work, and my BT time has been cut into. Danged early year expectations. 

A few items for all Manatees. Please keep any training you do in your logs. If you use a watch or other training tool for your training, there is probably a way to upload those workouts. Please open your privacy settings so that the rest of the group can see your workouts. While we do have a Strava group, all of us log here and it is most simple to help each other right in here. Also, by using the group thread, Inspires, and Direct Messages we can help one another in one simple environment.  While Janyne will do a bunch of work for us, and I may have started this group thread, neither of us feels like we are in charge of this group.  We all are in charge and as such, we hope that each of us adds to the conversation and takes something away from the group as well.

Have a great weekend all!!!

2018-01-06 11:59 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Today’s weather is Florida is good, it was a little chilly to start but by the 5k mark I was peeling layers off. Tomorrow should be lovely weather for a marathon and I am going to even brave wearing 3/4 length pants and will need to remember the sunscreen..

We all managed to finish the half today. Mum has been doing great despite her knee surgery and E and I ordering her to the Dr yesterday afternoon for uncontrollable shivering and then a raging temperature. She is now on super strength antibiotics for an infection, but the Dr said she could run today. E ran with her and I happened to see them from the overpass at around the 18k mark so at 18.2 I stopped and waited for them and the 3 of us finished together. K was about 10 minutes behind us.
2018-01-06 12:29 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK Today’s weather is Florida is good, it was a little chilly to start but by the 5k mark I was peeling layers off. Tomorrow should be lovely weather for a marathon and I am going to even brave wearing 3/4 length pants and will need to remember the sunscreen.. We all managed to finish the half today. Mum has been doing great despite her knee surgery and E and I ordering her to the Dr yesterday afternoon for uncontrollable shivering and then a raging temperature. She is now on super strength antibiotics for an infection, but the Dr said she could run today. E ran with her and I happened to see them from the overpass at around the 18k mark so at 18.2 I stopped and waited for them and the 3 of us finished together. K was about 10 minutes behind us.

You all are awesome (in the true sense of the word) and your Mom is totally badass!

2018-01-06 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Today’s weather is Florida is good, it was a little chilly to start but by the 5k mark I was peeling layers off. Tomorrow should be lovely weather for a marathon and I am going to even brave wearing 3/4 length pants and will need to remember the sunscreen.. We all managed to finish the half today. Mum has been doing great despite her knee surgery and E and I ordering her to the Dr yesterday afternoon for uncontrollable shivering and then a raging temperature. She is now on super strength antibiotics for an infection, but the Dr said she could run today. E ran with her and I happened to see them from the overpass at around the 18k mark so at 18.2 I stopped and waited for them and the 3 of us finished together. K was about 10 minutes behind us.

woo hoo- 3/4 done!! I’m glad you are all holding up so well- even your badass mom!

2018-01-06 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

, Maryland
NAME: Caleb

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA:Most active on Twitter but IG is the same - @cmcniece

STORY: Former athlete throughout high school - soccer and basketball mainly, never crazy good but I was tall so that helped. Graduated highschool at 195 and in ok shape, then college and midnight pizza deliveries multiple times a week happened and my weights been creeping up steadily since after my freshman year. Currently around 330 and thinking somewhere in the 215-235 range will be good. Have always admired triathlon from a distance - saw Hawaii IM several times growing and enjoyed a lot of Chris Crutcher novels growing up (swimming, biking, tri are common throughout). Have always liked biking and swimming - not a huge runner but figure I can put up with it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with an almost one year old (9 days to go!), 2 dogs one of which I swear is psychotic or bipolar but we love her anyways.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very sporadic - been doing some Beachbody workouts at home, need to get back in the Y - primarily elliptical, bike, swimming, and weights to lose some weight before really hitting the road on bike or foot - the weight is not pleasant for knees/lower back and the skinny butt road tires on my bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Tri It Sprint -June 17 in Bear DE.
Waterman's Sprint - Sept 30 in Rock Hall, MD

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to finish something that I start, I've started getting back into shape multiple times - do good for a month or so, knock off 15 pounds, am feeling better then just get lazy again then I rebound higher than where i was before. Gotta get some weight off if I want to really be able to play around with my daughter and any other future kids. I want to have fun being active again. I used to really enjoy it, now I'm so out of shape, it's not fun.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I think the accountability will be good for me.

Edited by AuD14 2018-01-06 2:48 PM
2018-01-06 3:16 PM
in reply to: AuD14

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by AuD14

STORY: Former athlete throughout high school - soccer and basketball mainly, never crazy good but I was tall so that helped. Graduated highschool at 195 and in ok shape, then college and midnight pizza deliveries multiple times a week happened and my weights been creeping up steadily since after my freshman year. Currently around 330 and thinking somewhere in the 215-235 range will be good. Have always admired triathlon from a distance - saw Hawaii IM several times growing and enjoyed a lot of Chris Crutcher novels growing up (swimming, biking, tri are common throughout). Have always liked biking and swimming - not a huge runner but figure I can put up with it.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with an almost one year old (9 days to go!), 2 dogs one of which I swear is psychotic or bipolar but we love her anyways.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very sporadic - been doing some Beachbody workouts at home, need to get back in the Y - primarily elliptical, bike, swimming, and weights to lose some weight before really hitting the road on bike or foot - the weight is not pleasant for knees/lower back and the skinny butt road tires on my bike.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to finish something that I start, I've started getting back into shape multiple times - do good for a month or so, knock off 15 pounds, am feeling better then just get lazy again then I rebound higher than where i was before. Gotta get some weight off if I want to really be able to play around with my daughter and any other future kids. I want to have fun being active again. I used to really enjoy it, now I'm so out of shape, it's not fun.

Welcome Caleb!!

As an English teacher, I never made the connection between the common swim/bike/run themes in Chris Crutcher novels, but now that you mentioned it, you're absolutely right!! I have an 8th grade student who is a competitive swimmer who has been searching high and low for a book to read, and I may have just found an answer!

As you mentioned, consistency is king, and so is accountability. Looking forward to being a part of your process.
2018-01-06 3:58 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by cdban66

While we do have a Strava group, all of us log here and it is most simple to help each other right in here. !

I am having issues with synching to BT, at one time I think it did work but I must be doing something wrong. I have Zwift linked to Strava which works fine- Strava to Garmin works fine - but BT isnt pulling from Garmin Connect - I did have them linked and "re-authenticated" through BT but it still isnt working correctly. Has anyone else seen this issue or have an idea on how to resolve it? I can manually download and upload to BT but automatic is always easier

2018-01-06 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by StaceyK

Today’s weather is Florida is good, it was a little chilly to start but by the 5k mark I was peeling layers off. Tomorrow should be lovely weather for a marathon and I am going to even brave wearing 3/4 length pants and will need to remember the sunscreen..

We all managed to finish the half today. Mum has been doing great despite her knee surgery and E and I ordering her to the Dr yesterday afternoon for uncontrollable shivering and then a raging temperature. She is now on super strength antibiotics for an infection, but the Dr said she could run today. E ran with her and I happened to see them from the overpass at around the 18k mark so at 18.2 I stopped and waited for them and the 3 of us finished together. K was about 10 minutes behind us.

Amazing, keep going!
2018-01-06 5:22 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by DaveL

While we do have a Strava group, all of us log here and it is most simple to help each other right in here. !

I am having issues with synching to BT, at one time I think it did work but I must be doing something wrong. I have Zwift linked to Strava which works fine- Strava to Garmin works fine - but BT isnt pulling from Garmin Connect - I did have them linked and "re-authenticated" through BT but it still isnt working correctly. Has anyone else seen this issue or have an idea on how to resolve it? I can manually download and upload to BT but automatic is always easier

yep, had the issue and tried everything including trying to have the moderator fix it. Nothing worked until one day it did again! Before it started working reliably it would upload sporadically, then it was all good.

2018-01-06 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!

2018-01-06 5:41 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL

Ugh! Sorry to hear this.

Yes, automatic is always way better.

2018-01-06 5:44 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by AuD14 NAME: Caleb OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA:Most active on Twitter but IG is the same - @cmcniece STORY: Former athlete throughout high school - soccer and basketball mainly, never crazy good but I was tall so that helped. Graduated highschool at 195 and in ok shape, then college and midnight pizza deliveries multiple times a week happened and my weights been creeping up steadily since after my freshman year. Currently around 330 and thinking somewhere in the 215-235 range will be good. Have always admired triathlon from a distance - saw Hawaii IM several times growing and enjoyed a lot of Chris Crutcher novels growing up (swimming, biking, tri are common throughout). Have always liked biking and swimming - not a huge runner but figure I can put up with it. FAMILY STATUS: Married with an almost one year old (9 days to go!), 2 dogs one of which I swear is psychotic or bipolar but we love her anyways. CURRENT TRAINING: Very sporadic - been doing some Beachbody workouts at home, need to get back in the Y - primarily elliptical, bike, swimming, and weights to lose some weight before really hitting the road on bike or foot - the weight is not pleasant for knees/lower back and the skinny butt road tires on my bike. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Tri It Sprint -June 17 in Bear DE. Waterman's Sprint - Sept 30 in Rock Hall, MD GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I want to finish something that I start, I've started getting back into shape multiple times - do good for a month or so, knock off 15 pounds, am feeling better then just get lazy again then I rebound higher than where i was before. Gotta get some weight off if I want to really be able to play around with my daughter and any other future kids. I want to have fun being active again. I used to really enjoy it, now I'm so out of shape, it's not fun. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I think the accountability will be good for me.

Welcome to the Manatees!!!

2018-01-06 6:48 PM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

Denver, CO
It's been waaaaay too long since I've been here. I may have a hard time keeping up but I'll jump in and do my best. I've missed the pod so much!!!

NAME: Mary Stone

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Strava (although I haven't posted there in a long time)

STORY: I'm 48 and live in Denver, CO. I was in track in HS but music took priority after that. In my 20s and 30s, I hiked and was generally active. During that time I also learned to swim. I didn't do any races until 2007, when I did an adventure race with my fiance. I was his sherpa for a couple years and decided "I could do that." Fast forward through grad school and a job with wonky hours to June 2012. I started training for a sprint tri and 10 days in, I herniated 2 lumbar discs while stretching. Between then and January 2014, I had two cartilage repair surgeries in my hip and a bunch of procedures for back pain that didn't work. In January 2014, a back surgeon said I needed a fusion. The thought of at least another year of pain with a questionable outcome was horrifying. I found a chiropractor said he'd have me training in 3 months; I started in 2. I finished my first sprint tri in August 2014 and did another 6 weeks later. In 2015, I did 2 sprints and was training for the 3rd when I tripped while running and hit my head on the sidewalk. I didn't black out and my head wasn't bleeding, so I scraped myself off the sidewalk and finished my 5 mi. run. (Of course!) The upshot was a TBI that messed up my vision. I'm not able to swim (makes me really nauseated), but did my first HM in March 2016 and a HIM duathlon in September 2016. In December 2016, I hurt my foot while hiking and am still recovering from that. Between injuries and major depression, it's been quite a journey. Racing is a social thing for me. I'm nowhere near the front and love the camaraderie that develops among racers.

FAMILY STATUS: married to Alex, about whom I can't say enough good things. We have 2 border collies, ages 8 and 10, and an 11 y.o. cat who snores. We laugh a lot at our house!!

CURRENT TRAINING: foot PT and walking, some riding on the trainer. Hoping to get back to running soon, as well as increasing cycling.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: nothing currently planned. I'd love to do that HIM du again, but I'll just have to see how things shake out.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: exercise is good for my mental health, as is being outdoors in beautiful Colorado. Since I'm not currently working, having a training plan and accountability helps give structure to my day. I also kinda like being one of those crazy people running/riding in the cold. Makes me feel all badazz and stuff. :D I want to get back into a training routine so I can be badazz again. I have all the gear; I just need to use it.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have a good sense of the ridiculous and I'm a great cheerleader. I understand how the ups and downs of life affect training and vice versa. I've somehow gleaned a bunch of info about this crazy sport, but know there's always more to learn.
2018-01-06 8:34 PM
in reply to: #5234244

User image

Denver, CO
Quick question: I'm only accessing BT with my Android phone. Anybody know how to include the text of a comment you're responding to without manually copying and pasting?

2018-01-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, Mary!

2018-01-07 4:50 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by laffinrockQuick question: I'm only accessing BT with my Android phone. Anybody know how to include the text of a comment you're responding to without manually copying and pasting?
I’m on Apple devices, even phone, but I get the options to either reply or quote. Quote includes the comment you’re replying to. Doesn’t android have that?
2018-01-07 5:44 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by laffinrockQuick question: I'm only accessing BT with my Android phone. Anybody know how to include the text of a comment you're responding to without manually copying and pasting?
I’m on Apple devices, even phone, but I get the options to either reply or quote. Quote includes the comment you’re replying to. Doesn’t android have that?
Yes it does, that's what I used for this ^^^^Another question, what settings do you have set on BT so that you keep your formatting when posting Mary? Whenever I post using my android it takes away all the paragraph breaks I put in and lumps all the text together. I wonder if it's a browser thingy instead.
2018-01-07 5:44 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by amd723
Yes it does, that's what I used for this ^^^^Another question, what settings do you have set on BT so that you keep your formatting when posting Mary? Whenever I post using my android it takes away all the paragraph breaks I put in and lumps all the text together. I wonder if it's a browser thingy instead.
See, all the text lumped together.
2018-01-07 6:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Edited by kbhanson3 2018-01-07 6:22 AM

2018-01-07 6:22 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by AuD14

Glad to see a fellow Clydesdale in the group! If you haven't already, you might want to check out Jeff Galloway's run/walk program. It has really helped me build run endurance while being easier on the joints. My long term goal is to get down to 225 from my current 265. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same. Let's get to work!
2018-01-07 3:14 PM

User image

Master

Awesome!  I hope today has gone as well!

2018-01-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Welcome Caleb. 

Soooooooo great to see you Mary!

2018-01-07 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by StaceyK

Wow, very cool about Mum but is she ok? The shivering sounds concerning.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14611 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 29076 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis