BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-03 1:37 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

2014-03-03 4:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Help me please, oh wise manatees.  I've been trying to import a free training plan into my training log which I thought was possible.  Being able to modify it requires a paid plan, I know, but it won't let me just move the plan into my log.  Am I incorrect about being able to move a free plan?

Edited to add 'please'.  Forgive my temporary rudeness, I was taught better than that!

Edited by melbo55 2014-03-03 4:36 PM
2014-03-03 6:43 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by melbo55

Help me please, oh wise manatees.  I've been trying to import a free training plan into my training log which I thought was possible.  Being able to modify it requires a paid plan, I know, but it won't let me just move the plan into my log.  Am I incorrect about being able to move a free plan?

Edited to add 'please'.  Forgive my temporary rudeness, I was taught better than that!

I'm on my phone and don't have the full site but when you are looking at the plan I think there is an import to log button. Once imported you can move stuff around within your log
2014-03-03 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I haven't found a way to import a plan into a free account. It just seems to always bring me to the "Upgrade" page, which just frustrates me, since that is not really the definition of "Free".  Another reason I am beginning to get more frustrated with BT in general. If it weren't for this group, I would simply abandon BT and just use Strava or Training Peaks.

Of course, that is the only compelling reason I can find to keep using BT, the social aspect. I have met and "met" some really wonderful people that have opened my eyes in a number of ways. And for that I thank you all!!

ETA: This is not sour grapes on my part, just my observations and my outlook on it.

Edited by cdban66 2014-03-03 8:38 PM
2014-03-04 3:40 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by cdban66

I haven't found a way to import a plan into a free account. It just seems to always bring me to the "Upgrade" page, which just frustrates me, since that is not really the definition of "Free".  Another reason I am beginning to get more frustrated with BT in general. If it weren't for this group, I would simply abandon BT and just use Strava or Training Peaks.

Of course, that is the only compelling reason I can find to keep using BT, the social aspect. I have met and "met" some really wonderful people that have opened my eyes in a number of ways. And for that I thank you all!!

ETA: This is not sour grapes on my part, just my observations and my outlook on it.

I personally don't mind it too much because I don't use the BT plans but when the new BT site upgrade occurred lots of people on my previous MG got frustrated and gradually stopped posting until the MG folded (after 6 years).

2014-03-04 4:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't use any of the training plans either, but I do like and use log to track my workouts. I also use Strava , but that often seems to be an after thought for some reason. But agree with you that it is this group that keeps me coming back to BT - even after meeting you(Chris) in real life, I still come back

Edited by amd723 2014-03-04 4:32 AM

2014-03-04 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I *think* you can on a free program

You can't "import" but if you go to the free plans and select one, on the right there is a button that says "Send to My training plan"

I can't test it because I have a bronze account so it will work
2014-03-04 6:27 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marcag

I *think* you can on a free program You can't "import" but if you go to the free plans and select one, on the right there is a button that says "Send to My training plan" I can't test it because I have a bronze account so it will work

I tried and it takes me to the "Upgrade Your Membership" page. Thanks though. And it isn't a big deal for me, I'm using a Google spreadsheet and if I need reminders, then I can do that through Google mail as well.

Melanie, I hope you can find a way to make it or something work for you.

I guess this opens up a few good questions though, just for the sake of information and discussion. I know a few of you are coached, so what types of communication do you have with your coaches? If you are not coached, are you using a plan/program? If a plan/program, how do you manage it and where does it come from? I guess there should be a question in there about your personal goals as well, because often times that helps decide what questions above get answered and how.

Thanks!

2014-03-04 6:29 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723 I don't use any of the training plans either, but I do like and use log to track my workouts. I also use Strava , but that often seems to be an after thought for some reason. But agree with you that it is this group that keeps me coming back to BT - even after meeting you(Chris) in real life, I still come back

Bless your heart

2014-03-04 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723 I don't use any of the training plans either, but I do like and use log to track my workouts. I also use Strava , but that often seems to be an after thought for some reason. But agree with you that it is this group that keeps me coming back to BT - even after meeting you(Chris) in real life, I still come back

Bless your heart

LOL!

2014-03-04 8:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Precisely my thoughts!!!  Oh, and the little back and forth with you and Ann-Marie (bless your heart!) made me snerk out loud at my desk!! 

Edited by melbo55 2014-03-04 8:47 AM

2014-03-04 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Precisely my thoughts!!!  Oh, and the little back and forth with you and Ann-Marie (bless your heart!) made me snerk out loud at my desk!! 

2014-03-04 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I *think* you can on a free program You can't "import" but if you go to the free plans and select one, on the right there is a button that says "Send to My training plan" I can't test it because I have a bronze account so it will work

I tried and it takes me to the "Upgrade Your Membership" page. Thanks though. And it isn't a big deal for me, I'm using a Google spreadsheet and if I need reminders, then I can do that through Google mail as well.

I guess this opens up a few good questions though, just for the sake of information and discussion. I know a few of you are coached, so what types of communication do you have with your coaches? If you are not coached, are you using a plan/program? If a plan/program, how do you manage it and where does it come from? I guess there should be a question in there about your personal goals as well, because often times that helps decide what questions above get answered and how.

Thanks!

Interesting questions. I have never used a coach for tris specifically, but I kind of have one for running and I do swim with a masters team where I get instruction.

For my last HIM I used a canned program from Enduarnce Nation. The year before I used Fink's IM plan and just stopped when it reached the HIM training race. The year before that I used BT's silver plan HIM program. I think the EN plan was probably best for me! but since I abandoned the race 8 miles into the run I can't say for sure . The plan was pretty detailed with training zones, various testing and resetting of zones etc. it was a little less volume- I think, than the others, but higher intensity.

. I think ultimately to make any plan work you have to be accountable to yourself. It may be harder to slack off when you have a coach pushing you, but you can do it!

As far as personal goals, my goal going into any race is to do my best and hopefully get an AG placing. Above all that, I work out and do these races to have fun, to stay healthy and to be with family and friends. Oh, and to fit into my skinny jeans

2014-03-04 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hey all. Thanks to e-mail I've been keeping up with the pod.

Mom is improving but still has a long way to go. More testing today.

I'm back in Albuquerque and my mouth still hurts like a sunnovaB! I'm contemplating whether I should just suck it up and get back out there. I don't think I can do any damage to the mouth at this point. I have a 7k in two weeks and a 12ish miler a week after that. I need to get back out running!

Now I'm off to read RRs!

2014-03-04 11:58 AM

User image

Seattle

What else are you frustrated about on BT?

After the long post about the decline ... I am curious if people feel it is improving or if that conversation helped at all.

2014-03-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm back in Albuquerque and my mouth still hurts like a sunnovaB! I'm contemplating whether I should just suck it up and get back out there. I don't think I can do any damage to the mouth at this point. I have a 7k in two weeks and a 12ish miler a week after that. I need to get back out running!

Now I'm off to read RRs!

Glad to see your mom is improving!  I guess i was really lucky, but when I had my wisdom teeth out I did really have any after extraction pain after the first few hours.  Was your extraction complicated?

2014-03-04 12:15 PM

User image

Seattle

SOL?

Errrr, wait

2014-03-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed

After the long post about the decline ... I am curious if people feel it is improving or if that conversation helped at all.

I don't think it helped much. I think all things in life have an ebb and flow, an evolution if you will. For me (and I can't stress this enough, it is ONLY my thoughts) there is only so much need that I have for the site. I try to assist those in the group as I can, with support, kindness, and such. But outside of the mentor groups, I see the same answers being given. Case in point is a bike question that someone had earlier this week. Rather than answer the question, the OP was told to get a fitting, get a new bike and then a disagreement between 2 folks that had no bearing on the original questions. nor were the parts of his question that directly stated where he was and what his objectives are. As I write this out it occurs to me that I need to go back and reply. Done.

To answer the actual question, and none of these are big deals at all in and of themselves:

1. I can't import a "Free" plan.
  2. The forums are a bit scattered.
  3. The Fl forum is non existent, or barely used.
  4. The helpfulness from others that I originally received here has become less obvious or necessary to me.
  5. Uploading from my watch is an issue, but I think I solved that one today.
  6. Also, I'm cranky with the ankle thing, so I'm probably being a bit of a whiner. 

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not to the point of leaving, or even close to it. But I can see the little frustrations here and there.

2014-03-04 12:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations to Kirsten and Ann-Marie for their podiums!  Woo hoo!

David, guests and fish stink after...

Kate, how's the shoulder?

TJ, how are you?  How's mom?

Tom, glad to hear that you are improving

Adrienne, Jantastic, who knows. I was doing it because Darren wanted to and Darren is MIA.  I think that it's just supposed to help us build consistency, which you already have.

Melanie, I've never tried to add a BT plan to my training log but I upload CSV's all the time.

Chris, yes, BT needs to do some work.  The upgrade was not good for BT.  In fact, I don't really see any positives from the upgrade and a lot of stuff is still broken.   Strava annoys the cr*p out of me because (1) you can't log everything, (2) it assumes that my watch is correct and that I'm cheating if I try to say that it's wrong (sometimes I have inaccurate lap counts with swimming)

Regarding coaching:  My coach is in town but we still do almost everything via email.  If email is not fast enough, I call her.  We discuss the events that I want to do, she does the plan and then sends it to me two weeks at a time -- mostly so that she can make adjustments in case I don't respond as expected, illness/injurty but also I suspect so that I don't freak out and say, "You want me to do *what* in six weeks?!"  Also, life happens.  The plan comes from her brain and we just finished talking about upcoming events because she needed to work on my plan from a big picture perspective.

Salty, I think that BT is still in decline.  If stuff has been broken since last summer?  And they kind of stopped responding to questions (at least to mine, maybe I'm special that way though). 

2014-03-04 12:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Thanks!

When I was new here I took a BT plan and imported it into my free account. So maybe they changed that?!

ANYWHOO HELLOOOOO my manatee friends!

TJ Glad mom is doing better.

Not sure what else I've missed - except clearly this "bless your heart" thing

Life is: train-->work-->sleep repeat. And not much time for anything else. 6 weeks to go from today though!

Have a good week all!
2014-03-04 12:55 PM

User image

Seattle

I don't think it helped much. I think all things in life have an ebb and flow, an evolution if you will. For me (and I can't stress this enough, it is ONLY my thoughts) there is only so much need that I have for the site. I try to assist those in the group as I can, with support, kindness, and such. But outside of the mentor groups, I see the same answers being given. Case in point is a bike question that someone had earlier this week. Rather than answer the question, the OP was told to get a fitting, get a new bike and then a disagreement between 2 folks that had no bearing on the original questions. nor were the parts of his question that directly stated where he was and what his objectives are. As I write this out it occurs to me that I need to go back and reply. Done.

To answer the actual question, and none of these are big deals at all in and of themselves:

4. The helpfulness from others that I originally received here has become less obvious or necessary to me.
  6. Also, I'm cranky with the ankle thing, so I'm probably being a bit of a whiner. 

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not to the point of leaving, or even close to it. But I can see the little frustrations here and there.

Nah, I understand. Putting the technical issues aside (because let's be honest, I can't even use a GPS watch,)I think a large bit of the success of this site (and most definitely the mentor archives) is that we share our personal experiences. Successes and failures. 

Not to call you out while you are cranky Chris, but I'm gonna call you out I think you need to be the change. You might not be an "expert" but fach, who is? Not many people on here. So offer up what you can! Support, kindness, personal experience. We could use a lot more of that stuff in TT.

2014-03-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Now I'm off to read RRs!

Glad to hear your mom is doing better, sorry to hear your mouth isn't.  I'd think you probably couldn't hurt it unless you somehow pop a stitch (assuming you have stitches) but I'd think the pounding of running wouldn't feel too good.  Maybe bike instead?!

2014-03-04 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm also pretty frustrated.  Things do evolve and I don't think that the site change added anything but window dressing.  For example, people have been asking for FitBit type data to be in the logs since forever (while the redesign was being discussed).  Not there.  Little stuff that was broken or not well thought out or we were told "if this doesn't work, we'll change it."  None of that has been fixed.  I'm not about to leave but I am to the point that I can understand why others have left.

2014-03-04 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Now I'm off to read RRs!

Glad to see your mom is improving!  I guess i was really lucky, but when I had my wisdom teeth out I did really have any after extraction pain after the first few hours.  Was your extraction complicated?

The surgeon said everything went fine. My sister told me this weekend that her mouth hurt for a month (A MONTH!) after surgery.  I have a follow-up appointment on Thursday but i'm sure I'll get the "everybody is different" answer.

2014-03-04 1:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm also pretty frustrated.  Things do evolve and I don't think that the site change added anything but window dressing.  For example, people have been asking for FitBit type data to be in the logs since forever (while the redesign was being discussed).  Not there.  Little stuff that was broken or not well thought out or we were told "if this doesn't work, we'll change it."  None of that has been fixed.  I'm not about to leave but I am to the point that I can understand why others have left.

So your concerns seem to be pretty firmly on the technical side. 

I'm guessing they don't have the bandwidth to make it perfect. Is this something you know how to do? Maybe you could volunteer some time? I don't know how that all works. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38306 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.