General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-21 3:13 PM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
Brian or somebody else who understands this - where is the convention center? It sounds like this says transition is to the West of the Convention Center and when I google Chattanooga Convention Center I find something that looks like it's a highway drive from the Riverfront. This leads me to understand that I am not understanding something here :-)

Thanks

Originally posted by bhmyrick

I love all the speculation! Crazy things is, we have all this worked out ;-)

The expo/IM Village will take place in the grassy area where the Waterfront Tri has transition. We will also put some tents on the other side of the road, maybe even on the pier. The banquet will be at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Our transition will be in the parking lot to the west of that area. Change tents will be on the east end of that lot as you enter transition. The finish will be in front of the Aquarium on Broad, just before you hit Aquarium Way.

Brian

in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by miamiamy

Brian or somebody else who understands this - where is the convention center? It sounds like this says transition is to the West of the Convention Center and when I google Chattanooga Convention Center I find something that looks like it's a highway drive from the Riverfront. This leads me to understand that I am not understanding something here :-)

Thanks

Originally posted by bhmyrick

I love all the speculation! Crazy things is, we have all this worked out ;-)

The expo/IM Village will take place in the grassy area where the Waterfront Tri has transition. We will also put some tents on the other side of the road, maybe even on the pier. The banquet will be at the Chattanooga Convention Center. Our transition will be in the parking lot to the west of that area. Change tents will be on the east end of that lot as you enter transition. The finish will be in front of the Aquarium on Broad, just before you hit Aquarium Way.

Brian

Brain or one of the other locals can answer better but I think the Converntion Center is several blocks to the south of the river.

On a related note.....the reason I reamember this is from taking the trolly tour of Chattanooga which I reccomend taking when you get into town to get a the lay fo the land and learn a little of the history of Chattanooga from the narration they provide.

On a different subject......statistically there will be about 20% DNS for an IM. I would venture to guess a great number of those no-shows had to drop out from injury stemming from ramping up the volume too fast or from starting with too little base. I encourage everyone to not go into hibernation too much this winter (or maybe it's just me that tends to do that) and continue to s/b/r to maintain your base thru the cold/wet winter. I'm already looking forward to spring and starting my training in ernest.

~Mike
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Originally posted by Rogillio

Brian is da man! Thanks for the inside infomation. Are you with the local tri club in Chattanooga?

Brian Myrick is the Race Director for Ironman Chattanooga (as well as some other IM races).
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Well darn. The speculation game has come to an end. Thanks for the specifics, Brian!
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

Well darn. The speculation game has come to an end. Thanks for the specifics, Brian!

LOL!
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

Veteran

What are we supposed to do for a whole year now!!!!

2013-10-04 12:22 PM

New user
Subject: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
in reply to: Rover24

User image

Originally posted by Rover24

Train?....haha

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by runswithcrazydog Well darn. The speculation game has come to an end. Thanks for the specifics, Brian!

Guess your bib number! 

in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

Train?....haha

No, no, no. It's supposed be be: Train? Choo-choo!!

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Ok.  so we can't speculate on race logisitcs.... Thanks Brian.  We can speculate on our race performance! I've recently discovered and app called TriAlly.  Within it there is tri news, race searches, various workout ideas based on time and intensity, AND a nifty estimate your pace calculator!

Based on my current fitness from my average training paces while allotting 15 minutes for transition time, my estimated finish time is 12:50:00.  Since this time is based on my average training pace I'm making this my goal time.  I have already lost 4lbs since registering and hope to be down another 25 by the time my training plan starts.  I am also adding in some basic functional strength training (i am very weak in some areas based on my run analysis). 

Let's hear your goals! And plan for acheiving it!

in reply to: emferg

Veteran
Originally posted by emferg

Ok.  so we can't speculate on race logisitcs.... Thanks Brian.  We can speculate on our race performance! I've recently discovered and app called TriAlly.  Within it there is tri news, race searches, various workout ideas based on time and intensity, AND a nifty estimate your pace calculator!

Based on my current fitness from my average training paces while allotting 15 minutes for transition time, my estimated finish time is 12:50:00.  Since this time is based on my average training pace I'm making this my goal time.  I have already lost 4lbs since registering and hope to be down another 25 by the time my training plan starts.  I am also adding in some basic functional strength training (i am very weak in some areas based on my run analysis). 

My first goal is to finish with both socks...It will be my 3rd and depending how I do at IMFL in a few weeks I would like to be under 11. I never lose weight (like beer 2 much) but I may need to for that goal.

User image

Champion
Alabama

Good topic! I think it will be fun to state our goals now.....and then revisit them next summer.

My goal is to toe the line at 200 lbs. July 31 I was 350 lbs. Today I am 311. So 39 lbs gone and only 112 to go! Yeewboy!! Long way to go. My last and best IM was 2008 at about 14:30 @ 250 lbs. My thinking (fantasy) is, at 200 I can break 14 hrs. I would love to be "13-something" aka 13:59.99.

My plan is to smoke the semi, hammer the bike....and finish the run (walk). I'm worried about knee issues.

This race group is a great source of motivation for me! Post often. I hope by race time to know everyone and their goals!

User image

My wife and I are riding the loop tomorrow if anyone out there wants to come. Probably 45ish miles @ 14/15mph pace. It should be a beautiful ride. let me know if anyone wants to come with!!

also if there are any chatty ppl out there can you tell me where to park? i dont want to go all the way into chatty, i'd rather park south on the loop somewhere.

Master
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Rogillio

Good topic! I think it will be fun to state our goals now.....and then revisit them next summer.

My goal is to toe the line at 200 lbs. July 31 I was 350 lbs. Today I am 311. So 39 lbs gone and only 112 to go! Yeewboy!! Long way to go. My last and best IM was 2008 at about 14:30 @ 250 lbs. My thinking (fantasy) is, at 200 I can break 14 hrs. I would love to be "13-something" aka 13:59.99.

My plan is to smoke the semi, hammer the bike....and finish the run (walk). I'm worried about knee issues.

This race group is a great source of motivation for me! Post often. I hope by race time to know everyone and their goals!

Okay, I'll put my goals out there. I weigh between 144 and 148 right now, I would like to weigh about 130 but I really suck at losing weight so we will see. My goal truely is to just finish before midnight but I would say my secondary goal which I be so stoked about would be around 15 hours.

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Iwannarunlikeforrest

My wife and I are riding the loop tomorrow if anyone out there wants to come. Probably 45ish miles @ 14/15mph pace. It should be a beautiful ride. let me know if anyone wants to come with!!

also if there are any chatty ppl out there can you tell me where to park? i dont want to go all the way into chatty, i'd rather park south on the loop somewhere.

Have fun on the ride tomorrow. I would join, but am on call this weekend (really gets in the way of training). Parking south of town your options include somewhere in St. Elmo (on way out of Chatt) like a parking lot or further south at a local gas station (one about 16 miles south on 193 at one of the intersections). Enjoy the ride, be safe, and remember there is no shoulder heading out of st elmo --- rumble strips for about 12 miles or so.

The convention center is at the Marriott which is 0.8 miles south from the Aquarium - about a 15 minute strong walk straight up Chestnut street.

My goals are to be at 185lb (190 right now prior to IMFL, but I know I will eat like a hog for about a month after that) and do somewhere in the 11hr range. My bike is really coming along, if I could just pull together a strong run it may just happen.

in reply to: hornjs

User image

My goals past "finish with a smile" are still to be determined.

I'm curious. What are people doing for 70.3's to get ready? I'm registered for Raleigh in June.

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

OK goals... hmmm.  If I'm being totally honest my goal really is to just finish.  However, with that said, I am a competitor if only with myself and I do need to have some sort of timing/pace in mind for training purposes.  I've done 4 HIMs and a bunch of marathons so I have a decent amount of past data to crunch to make some predictions.  

Swim - By far my weakest event, my form sucks and when I OWS I zig-zag like a pinball.  That said I hope to get better from some private lessons over the winter.  My typical longer OWS swim is currently in the 2:00 range, although I've never done more than the HIM distance.  So if I improve a bit in the off season, and with some help from the down river swim I figure I should be able to match the 2:00/100 time for the full 2.4.  Swim: 1:20:00

Bike - I'm decent on the bike and I do enjoy ridding so training to get to 112 shouldn't be an issue for me.  Two of my HIMs were fairly rolling courses and I was able to finish both averaging over 18MPH.  I don't plan on trying to ride hard at all, I think that this course will be a bit hillier, and its just a plain 'ol long day in the saddle so I'm figuring that if I maintain an average of 16.5 for the full distance I'll be happy. Bike: 6:50:00

Run - This is my best sport and I have the most knowledge of my abilities here.  I know that on most courses I can go out and run a 3:45 marathon without even thinking about it.  Properly trained and a well executed race will get me sub 3:30. Knowing that I'll have already put in over 8 hours by the time I lace up the running shoes, I don't expect to break any land speed records.  I fully intend that there will be walk breaks to take in fluid and gels and I will be simply hoping that I'm still able to run when I get into the 20s.  I'm figuring that about a 10:00 mile pace is doable w/o killing myself and forcing me to walk the last 5 or 6 miles.  Run: 4:25:00

I figure these are reachable goal times but I also know that anything can happen.  So with my estimates, adding 15 minutes for transitions I see a possible 12:50:00 finish.

in reply to: Sous

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

My first IM I had 3 goals:

1) don't die

2) finish (fairly dependent on goal #1 holding true)

3) finish with my hubby and with a smile on my face. 

All three goals happened, but due to not a whole lot of training going on for the last 6 weeks leading up to the race, it truly became a day that I just wanted to get through. 

B2B is coming up for me in 3 weeks, and I'd like to think I'll have a better idea of what I'm capable of after that, but my dream goal would be to finish around 13 hours.  Super slow compared to some, but something that I need to work towards.  For IMChoo, I'd like to bring that goal down to 12:30, but we'll see how things look in a month or so. 

in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

We're planning to drive in from NC on Thursday and head home on Monday.
Goals so far : enjoy the day, finish with a smile, hopefully under 14 hours!
Also interested in how much racing/which races others are doing next season? I'm planning to do fewer races overall as I focus on training and enjoying watching my kids race!
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

Goals for IMCHOO:

First of all I want to train happily with my wife. I think having both of us training this much could put a lot of stress on the marriage and first and foremost I want us to be able to sit side by side on the trainers happily. Second, I DNF'd IMTX this year and I have some serious retribution to pay out on the course. I got a parasite during the swim at TX and felt terrible the second i got out of the water but i was too hard headed to slow down and adjust my goals. This resulted in my collapse on the run course when I could have probably walked the marathon and made the cutoff. I'm ashamed I was that stubborn. So for now, I just want to finish...but i'm sure as training goes i'll start to develop time goals.

I have RnR Savannah marathon in about 4 weeks and then a couple months of "off season" before I start to hit it!!

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
I plan on arriving in Chatty early, possibly 2 weeks, to visit with family, and won't be leaving until about Wednesday after the race.  I wold like to get togther with the locals who will be there and ride/run the course.  With it being a river swim will there be designated "practice times" for safety ?

User image

Regular
Im looking to ride the course this weekend if anyone is in town. Maybe sunday am?
in reply to: hornjs

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Originally posted by hornjs Im looking to ride the course this weekend if anyone is in town. Maybe sunday am?

Have fun!  Any consideration of posting your log file for it?  I'd love to see some real data, as opposed to the rather vague (and mostly unreliable) description. 

in reply to: Sous

User image

Regular
Didn't do the loop after all. Had a GI bug all weekend and was lucky to get out late on Sunday. Did a shorter loop just in case, but did it several times. I hate being sick when big training calls.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 31333 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61850 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 174918 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 41138 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: