BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-07 5:33 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

I think that they have a new plan builder that might help you out. It sounds cool.  Put in some parameters -- intermediate rider with 6-9 hours a week to train for a tri. My A races are Nationals Oly and Redman HIM. It spits out a plan.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037923191-Plan-Builder-Overview

I may do some version of the Trainer Roads Planner.  I have 5 weeks left on my Winter Maintenance Bike Plan so I will likely stick with that for another month.  In the meantime, I can pull my training records from past years and play with the TR planner to see map things out. 

2020-01-07 5:52 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by jenstewey

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Buckshot

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

I'm one of the sufferfest people Janyne mentioned! I've used Zwift and Trainer Road and Rouvy in the past too. For me, Sufferfest is the best workout and I've seen more gains using it.  I also like the yoga workouts that come with the plan. That said when I was a zwift person I didn't get into the organized races, but understand that those could be fun!  I bought a new trainer over the holidays and it came with a free 30 day trial for zwift, so I may use it and try out the races to see if I want to spend the extra money for those.  I believe all the platforms have free trials, so I encourage you to test them all to see which is the best fit for you.

YES! Do the free trials!

Can any of these be used with an apple tv or amazon fire stick instead of a laptop/computer?

I was looking at the differences in these various apps this morning and came across this article that specifically discusses Apple TV use for each of them (at least as of last March): https://completetri.com/zwift-vs-sufferfest-vs-trainerroad-vs-peloto...

Nice article!

2020-01-07 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

I'm one of the sufferfest people Janyne mentioned! I've used Zwift and Trainer Road and Rouvy in the past too. For me, Sufferfest is the best workout and I've seen more gains using it.  I also like the yoga workouts that come with the plan. That said when I was a zwift person I didn't get into the organized races, but understand that those could be fun!  I bought a new trainer over the holidays and it came with a free 30 day trial for zwift, so I may use it and try out the races to see if I want to spend the extra money for those.  I believe all the platforms have free trials, so I encourage you to test them all to see which is the best fit for you.

YES! Do the free trials!

Can any of these be used with an apple tv or amazon fire stick instead of a laptop/computer?

Zwift can be used on Apple TV, Janyne can probably speak more to that, Sufferfest can be used on your iOS device and, supposedly soon, Apple TV. Trainer road can be used on your iOS device too, what I’m not sure about is Apple TV.

Haha! Great minds!

I use the NPE CABLE to get my ANT+ devices to the Apple TV. Some people can use their phone to do that via the Zwift Companion app.  Others use something like the the 4iiii heart rate monitor which will collect the ANT+ stuff and forward it. The HRM and the NPE CABLE run about $60.  

Edited to add links.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-07 5:57 PM
2020-01-07 6:51 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

YES! Do the free trials!

I was looking at the differences in these various apps this morning and came across this article that specifically discusses Apple TV use for each of them (at least as of last March): https://completetri.com/zwift-vs-sufferfest-vs-trainerroad-vs-peloto...

This article is great, thank you!  It's looking like Zwift and the NPE Cable that Janyne mentioned might do the trick!  

2020-01-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I think that they have a new plan builder that might help you out. It sounds cool.  Put in some parameters -- intermediate rider with 6-9 hours a week to train for a tri. My A races are Nationals Oly and Redman HIM. It spits out a plan.

https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037923191-Plan-Builder-Overview

I may do some version of the Trainer Roads Planner.  I have 5 weeks left on my Winter Maintenance Bike Plan so I will likely stick with that for another month.  In the meantime, I can pull my training records from past years and play with the TR planner to see map things out. 

Based on everyone's experience with these apps, what do you think would be best for a beginner? I am looking to do 2-3 rides per week, no more than an hour per ride for starting out (more likely less to start out). Does TrainerRoad have the ability to scale down a plan that low? I will likely use all of them at some point with the free time they give out as suggested by Janyne, but thought I would ask which one you recommend for starting from scratch? As for equipment, I have a bike on a Kickr Snap and an Ipad. Internet connection ranges from fairly decent some days to wishing I had dialup on others, which may limit something like Zwift for now. Hoping to get a faster connection in the next few weeks.
2020-01-07 9:05 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert

Like Ann-Marie I use The Sufferfest. I've been using their workouts since Lance Armstrong was in them. I like the variety of the workouts, depending what I want to do and how long I need to go. I also like the emotional abuse (it must be a lawyer thing Ann-Marie and I share). I've seen my best gains when I have used it even in the Summer when it's nice out. Plus it's harder to get run over or crash on a trainer (which I have done).
I've tried Zwift, and it was a good workout. The thing I didn't like is I'm not capable of slowing down or taking a break on my own. It would turn into a time trial. I have a friend that loves Zwift and is heavily involved in their on line culture.

2020-01-07 9:24 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master

NAME: Kirsten

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I am on FB, but do not post, mostly just keep up with friends and family.  bcvettech on IG and Twitter.

STORY: Vet Tech, transitioning to Victim Service Worker.  Started running in 2008 or 9, same story as many, very athletic growing up (soccer, basketball, hockey, track, volleyball, etc) and then got fat.  Completed Marathon in 2010.  Always wanted to do a tri (well really always wanted to do IM), so started swimming (learned as a kid, but had to practically start over), got a bike.  First sprint in 2012 I think.  I remember hearing about IMC when I was very young--first thought: they are crazy.  Second thought: I want to do that someday.  First IM was supposed to be IMC in Penticton in 2013, but it moved to Whistler.  Decided to train for another year, then did Whistler for first IM in 2014.  IM Copenhagen for #2 in 2015, Santa Rosa in 2018.  Multiple HIM, some standards, some HM and trail races over the years.

FAMILY STATUS: Partnered for almost 13 years.  No two legged kids, four dogs, one cat.  My partner does dog agility at a high level with three of the dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just starting to get back on track.  Took most of the fall off as started school part time while working full time. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: 15km trail race in May; half distance Aquabike in June; IMC in August.  Possibly Washington 70.3 in September.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Stay in shape, have some fun, get some medals

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I'm gonna try to be a better manatee....I follow along, read all posts, but don't contribute a ton to the conversation.  I am committing to checking in once a week at minimum.  I really enjoy seeing others successes--this group was invaluable to me when I first started out.

2020-01-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hello to Mark, Robin and Chris - happy Thursday.

I went back to the office today after a holiday break. My daughter is still on break but at my parents' house being spoiled at the moment. My little guy was happy to go see his friends at daycare this morning. Anyway, nice to have some quiet time (hahahaha, work is quiet time) to organize myself and be out of the house. Because work is also very very quiet. I suspect that by the middle of next week it will be super crazy but until then i will just keep at it. 

So, with the new year is the build up to the HIM. Workout planned for tonight is lane swim - i probably will procrastinate on going but i think if i post it here it will be public accountability - right?? Manatees? You will keep me accountable?? 

And so to kick off some discussion: i have read so much and know so many early birds who workout at the crack of dawn (Janyne, I am looking at you) but I have accepted that for me this training cycle will be primarily evening training. This is about making life work and for me i have my tri club swim late two days a week. It's 8:30pm which is awesome because my kids are in bed and i don't miss family time. But this also makes waking up early super difficult. And, my 2.5 year old is not all that consistent about not waking up at 3am and still wakes up at 6am so for me the early morning is good in theory is not terribly practical for me at this time. 

When in the day do you workout? Is this your preference or would you change if your circumstances were different? 

I try to get at least one workout done in the early AM.  NOT because I am a morning person--I am not!  But being tired after work is too easy an excuse for me to use....I learned that lesson very well again this past fall.  If I didn't work, I would definitely not get up early to work out

2020-01-07 9:53 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Phew.  Hard to catch up when you get 8 pages behind .  Good to see all the returning manatees and welcome to Sheri, Tom, Curtis, Jason and welcome back to Nate and Mark.  I hope I didn't miss anyone.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

2020-01-08 6:47 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

YES! Do the free trials!

This article is great, thank you!  It's looking like Zwift and the NPE Cable that Janyne mentioned might do the trick!  

Yes, that was a very good article. I like TrainerRoad for the training plans. They do have beginner, low volume plans. I have not been using it the last year or so but will start up soon. TrainerRoad will have you do an FTP test and based upon that, it will adjust the intensity in the program. I believe you can explore the programs without a membership. By explore, I mean that you can view the hour/rides per week and a description of the plan. I think you can also look at a graph of the workouts. I usually use my iPhone to drive the trainer and watch something on Netflix. I was just thinking it might be fun to integrate Zwift as a change. I don't think Zwift has the training plans that the other two have. I might try Sufferfest based upon the recommendations here. I could use my AppleTV for Zwift and probably stream Sufferfest.

2020-01-08 9:48 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Champion
Bronze member

YES! Do the free trials!

Yes, that was a very good article. I like TrainerRoad for the training plans. They do have beginner, low volume plans. I have not been using it the last year or so but will start up soon. TrainerRoad will have you do an FTP test and based upon that, it will adjust the intensity in the program. I believe you can explore the programs without a membership. By explore, I mean that you can view the hour/rides per week and a description of the plan. I think you can also look at a graph of the workouts. I usually use my iPhone to drive the trainer and watch something on Netflix. I was just thinking it might be fun to integrate Zwift as a change. I don't think Zwift has the training plans that the other two have. I might try Sufferfest based upon the recommendations here. I could use my AppleTV for Zwift and probably stream Sufferfest.

could someone come to my house and connect my computer to my tv to my kikr snap so I can use one of these wonderful  apps? I have spent numerous hours trying to get sufferfest (my favorite) and Zwift  to connect appropriately to my trainer. I gave up and just ride. Makes having a smart trainer kinda worthless.

2020-01-08 10:16 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

YES! Do the free trials!

Keep in mind that you need access to an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) to configre the CABLE -- basically say this is my HRM, and here is my cadence sensor, etc.

2020-01-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Hey Curtis!! Good to see you here!! --TS

Ditto, fellow Laramieite.

2020-01-08 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Based on everyone's experience with these apps, what do you think would be best for a beginner? I am looking to do 2-3 rides per week, no more than an hour per ride for starting out (more likely less to start out). Does TrainerRoad have the ability to scale down a plan that low? I will likely use all of them at some point with the free time they give out as suggested by Janyne, but thought I would ask which one you recommend for starting from scratch? As for equipment, I have a bike on a Kickr Snap and an Ipad. Internet connection ranges from fairly decent some days to wishing I had dialup on others, which may limit something like Zwift for now. Hoping to get a faster connection in the next few weeks.

I think that either The Sufferfest or TrainerRoad (TR) might be the better choice for you. Both can be done on an iPad with limited or sketchy interwebs.  I'm sure that the triathlon plans for either would be about 3 rides per week.  For example, the Sufferfest Olympic training plan calls for 2-4 hours a week of cycling with some of that being recovery spins. I'm not a TR subscriber so I can't look at their plans but I know they have some flexibility in plans.  Keep in mind that the right program is the one that you'll use  so if you hate the software, well... 

Are you using a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor? If so, the sensor will either need to be bluetooth or you'll need a bridge for it to get to be bluetooth (North Pole Engineering CABLE or similar).

Also, The Sufferfest and Zwift sort of view their software as being the entertainment to keep you going.  TrainerRoad has a BYO entertainment (watcha movie while on the trainer or listen to music, etc.) -- keep an eye on what it is that your supposed to be doing but provide your own mental candy.

Edited to correct quoting

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-08 10:44 AM
2020-01-08 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hello to Mark, Robin and Chris - happy Thursday.

I went back to the office today after a holiday break. My daughter is still on break but at my parents' house being spoiled at the moment. My little guy was happy to go see his friends at daycare this morning. Anyway, nice to have some quiet time (hahahaha, work is quiet time) to organize myself and be out of the house. Because work is also very very quiet. I suspect that by the middle of next week it will be super crazy but until then i will just keep at it. 

So, with the new year is the build up to the HIM. Workout planned for tonight is lane swim - i probably will procrastinate on going but i think if i post it here it will be public accountability - right?? Manatees? You will keep me accountable?? 

And so to kick off some discussion: i have read so much and know so many early birds who workout at the crack of dawn (Janyne, I am looking at you) but I have accepted that for me this training cycle will be primarily evening training. This is about making life work and for me i have my tri club swim late two days a week. It's 8:30pm which is awesome because my kids are in bed and i don't miss family time. But this also makes waking up early super difficult. And, my 2.5 year old is not all that consistent about not waking up at 3am and still wakes up at 6am so for me the early morning is good in theory is not terribly practical for me at this time. 

When in the day do you workout? Is this your preference or would you change if your circumstances were different? 

I try to get at least one workout done in the early AM.  NOT because I am a morning person--I am not!  But being tired after work is too easy an excuse for me to use....I learned that lesson very well again this past fall.  If I didn't work, I would definitely not get up early to work out

Yeah, that's Kevin's thing.  He calls it no excuses workouts!

2020-01-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

YES! Do the free trials!

Thank you for posting this. I poked around on the TR site and found this: https://www.trainerroad.com/all-cycling-training-plans

It looks like Olympic tri base 2-5 hours a week of cycling, if I am reading that correctly?

Yes, I think that Zwift is currently a bit behind in training plans.  My coaching group provides workout files to me and I just copy them to the correct directory and do them in the correct order.

FWIW, I understand that some people use TR and Zwift at the same time!

2020-01-08 11:14 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Laramie, Wyoming?
2020-01-08 11:22 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

I think that either The Sufferfest or TrainerRoad (TR) might be the better choice for you. Both can be done on an iPad with limited or sketchy interwebs.  I'm sure that the triathlon plans for either would be about 3 rides per week.  For example, the Sufferfest Olympic training plan calls for 2-4 hours a week of cycling with some of that being recovery spins. I'm not a TR subscriber so I can't look at their plans but I know they have some flexibility in plans.  Keep in mind that the right program is the one that you'll use  so if you hate the software, well... 

Are you using a heart rate monitor or cadence sensor? If so, the sensor will either need to be bluetooth or you'll need a bridge for it to get to be bluetooth (North Pole Engineering CABLE or similar).

Also, The Sufferfest and Zwift sort of view their software as being the entertainment to keep you going.  TrainerRoad has a BYO entertainment (watcha movie while on the trainer or listen to music, etc.) -- keep an eye on what it is that your supposed to be doing but provide your own mental candy.

Perfect, thanks for that info. I did a short treadmill stint last night for the sole purpose of trying to figure out how to get something into Strava. I'll let you know when I figure that out. Perhaps I am attempting to work from too many platforms, but it's going to take me a little bit to get everything integrated. I have a Fitbit Versa watch that I use to keep track of my running and swimming. I'm pretty sure I can upload that data into Strava (as opposed to doing manual entries). Then for bike I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap trainer. I also have a Wahoo cadence sensor on the crank arm, speed sensor on the back wheel (back from when I was using an old fluid trainer), and a Tickr HRM. So when I've been biking, I simply have the Wahoo app open on my phone and it records my time, distance, HR, cadence, etc. So I'll need to figure out loading that into Strava as well.

I put Zwift, TR, and Sufferfest on to my Ipad last night as well and will give each of them a try over the next couple of weeks and see what I think of them. Based on what I've read, I'll likely start with Sufferfest.
2020-01-08 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Perfect, thanks for that info. I did a short treadmill stint last night for the sole purpose of trying to figure out how to get something into Strava. I'll let you know when I figure that out. Perhaps I am attempting to work from too many platforms, but it's going to take me a little bit to get everything integrated. I have a Fitbit Versa watch that I use to keep track of my running and swimming. I'm pretty sure I can upload that data into Strava (as opposed to doing manual entries). Then for bike I have a Wahoo Kickr Snap trainer. I also have a Wahoo cadence sensor on the crank arm, speed sensor on the back wheel (back from when I was using an old fluid trainer), and a Tickr HRM. So when I've been biking, I simply have the Wahoo app open on my phone and it records my time, distance, HR, cadence, etc. So I'll need to figure out loading that into Strava as well. I put Zwift, TR, and Sufferfest on to my Ipad last night as well and will give each of them a try over the next couple of weeks and see what I think of them. Based on what I've read, I'll likely start with Sufferfest.

Fitbit > Strava: https://strava.fitbit.com/

Wahoo > Strava: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/220633087-Wahoo-Fitness-and-Strava

Zwift > Strava: https://zwift.com/news/4898-zwift-how-to-connect-to-strava

TR > Strava: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/204620814-Strava

The Sufferfest > Strava: https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/the-sufferfest-blog/introducing-stra...

2020-01-08 11:47 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

YES! Do the free trials!

could someone come to my house and connect my computer to my tv to my kikr snap so I can use one of these wonderful  apps? I have spent numerous hours trying to get sufferfest (my favorite) and Zwift  to connect appropriately to my trainer. I gave up and just ride. Makes having a smart trainer kinda worthless.

Ugh! Sorry for your troubles. Have you emailed the minions at sufferfest? They are really helpful and may be able to get you connected.

2020-01-08 12:20 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

YES! Do the free trials!

Clearly we need another Manatee Meetup!

2020-01-08 1:55 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'mherei'mherei'mhere!!! Don't set sail without meeeeee!

Still drowning in SA, just spent an amazing couple of weeks with DS2, still don't know what the year looks like race-wise.

NAME: TJ, Teej, Grandma Teej, T, Mom

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook (yes), Twitter (rarely), Strava (yes) TJ Lato or rrrunner on all

STORY: I was a runner, then triathlete, then ultra runner, then triathlete again, then ultra runner again, now lotsa running and kayaking I run because I like food I moved to San Antonio in September of last year for work and am experiencing a significant adjustment.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 30-ish years, two amazing grown sons, a beautiful DIL and an equally beautiful granddaughter.  Three dogs, one is my primo running partner, and a really really fat cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've had my kids nearby so training has been whatever fit the plans de jour (i.e. mostly none)

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I have a HM in February that climbs up out of an 185 foot cavern :0  and i bought a three pack of Rock N Roll so I have to figure out what to do with that. I'd love to do the Eagle Up Ultra again but don't think I'll be ready.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Fun and fitness, and amazing relationships

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Because my friends did

Edited by rrrunner 2020-01-08 2:17 PM
2020-01-08 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Phew.  Hard to catch up when you get 8 pages behind .  Good to see all the returning manatees and welcome to Sheri, Tom, Curtis, Jason and welcome back to Nate and Mark.  I hope I didn't miss anyone.  Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Ditto to what she said

2020-01-08 2:44 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back, TJ!

2020-01-08 4:04 PM

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

Laramie, Wyoming?

Yep! I live in Laramie, Wyo! Gotta love trying to train when it usually below freezing outside, but @alaskatri you are well aware of that! --Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127