Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-01-31 4:49 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by canadarn2001
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by alaskatri I am pretty late to the party here. It has been a hectic few weeks. My daughter was home for a few weeks from her first year in college and then I was doing some traveling for work. Name: Jason Other Social Media: I am on FB but do not use it much other than to keep up on what people that I grew up with are doing. I rarely post. I am on Strava as "Jason G", including in the manatee group. Story: I grew up in central California playing several sports, including a lot of swimming. After law school, I came to Alaska for one year for a judicial clerkship - that was 18 years ago. Worked as a prosecutor for several years, and then in 2018 I was appointed by the governor to be a judge. I survived my first retention election this past November, so I will be here for at least six more years. My wife and I currently planning/negotiating on whether I'll retire at that point. I just want to travel, but my son will be right in the middle of college then. I try to swim, bike and run and somewhat regularly, although my job is pretty demanding of my time. A couple summers ago my son and I started golfing, and it's sort of our addiction now. My wife got involved this past summer as well. We also do a ton of fishing and boating in the summer for halibut and salmon. Family Status: married, 18 year old daughter that is in her first year of college in Idaho (she was 3 months old when we came to AK), and a 14 year old son that is a freshman in HS. And a Schnauser named Berkeley. Current Training: Trying to work back towards 3x/week of bike/run, and at least 1-2 swims. Races/Events: My hope for this summer is a couple of 5k's, a couple of sprint tri's, and a half marathon in September. What makes me a good Manatee:I love the camaraderie of the group and will try to give input where I can, although the group has far more experience than I do. I also listen to You Are an Ironman at least once a year on audiobook, so I love that I am in a group with Leeanne. It makes me feel like I sort of know a celebrity. Haha.
Jason: Love that you still read "You are an Ironman" annually! I am far from a celebrity but I'll take that as a complement. We had friends who lived in Alaska and just moved to the mountain of NC.

I had not heard of the book You are an Ironman, but now I think I need to find it!

Ha! It's an oldie but a goodie! I come across as being 'clumsy' in that book. It was a book written by a NYC author who profiled 5 or 6 Ironman newbies and our journey's to our first Ironman in 2009. It was fun to be included!
Wo, Leanne. I didnt know about this. How cool. I just ordered the book! I should get you to autograph it!

I hope you enjoy it! I really am not that clumsy!!

2023-01-31 4:52 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Wow! All of this is incredible! So you are doing the Woodland's half marathon on March 4th? You racing group sounds like a strong group of athletes! Leanne

Yes...there are around 800 member of the Cypress Running Club.  We have a half dozen different training groups starting with the walking group, then the Couch to 5K, then the mileage builders group, Intermediate, Advanced, Elite groups (I know I missed a few of the groups).  The Elite group was formed about 3 months after I moved to Houston.  Guys in that group are running sub 3-hour marathons and the ladies are running sub 3:20 marathons.  There are dozens of running clubs in the Houston area, but we are possibly the only Elite group so we have become a magnet group with a few people traveling from  30 minutes away to run with us on Saturday mornings.  I live 2 miles from where we meet on Saturdays and some times run over to the meet-up from the house.  It is a really good group to run with.  They have had a bad influence on me though.  My race schedule from 2015-2021 was almost exclusively triathlons and multisport events.  My current list of events is the following;

2/11/2023 - Katy, TX Half Marathon (Free - 1:40 Pacer)

3/04/2023 - The Woodlands, TX Half Marathon (Free - Elite Bib)

4/01/2023 - Cypress Fairbanks ISD Super Intendents 5K (tentative to run w/ the kids)

4/17/2023 - Boston Marathon

So....all running for the next three months. 

My company however has a cooperate sponsored team for a 2-day bike from Houston to Austin that is 4/29/2023 to 4/30/2023.  The first team meeting is next week but I have already submitted my Bib & Jersey size for the Primal team kit order so I will be able to add that to my list of event soon.  I will only be able to ride the 75 mile of the first day of the ride but the team captain already confirmed that I didn't have to ride both days to be on the team.  So, I will be running for all spring while training for a 75 bike event.  There are three local triathlon is May and one local Triathlon in October.  I might try to do the triathlon the last Monday of May, but have a pretty full schedule for me, so I don't know when my next multisport event will be. I entertained the idea of doing USAT Nationals in Milwaukee but I will try to get through all the April Races before I plan more events at this point.

Maybe by fall you will be ready to do less running and more triathlon!
2023-01-31 4:53 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Expert

Originally posted by alaskatri I am pretty late to the party here. It has been a hectic few weeks. My daughter was home for a few weeks from her first year in college and then I was doing some traveling for work. Name: Jason Other Social Media: I am on FB but do not use it much other than to keep up on what people that I grew up with are doing. I rarely post. I am on Strava as "Jason G", including in the manatee group. Story: I grew up in central California playing several sports, including a lot of swimming. After law school, I came to Alaska for one year for a judicial clerkship - that was 18 years ago. Worked as a prosecutor for several years, and then in 2018 I was appointed by the governor to be a judge. I survived my first retention election this past November, so I will be here for at least six more years. My wife and I currently planning/negotiating on whether I'll retire at that point. I just want to travel, but my son will be right in the middle of college then. I try to swim, bike and run and somewhat regularly, although my job is pretty demanding of my time. A couple summers ago my son and I started golfing, and it's sort of our addiction now. My wife got involved this past summer as well. We also do a ton of fishing and boating in the summer for halibut and salmon. Family Status: married, 18 year old daughter that is in her first year of college in Idaho (she was 3 months old when we came to AK), and a 14 year old son that is a freshman in HS. And a Schnauser named Berkeley. Current Training: Trying to work back towards 3x/week of bike/run, and at least 1-2 swims. Races/Events: My hope for this summer is a couple of 5k's, a couple of sprint tri's, and a half marathon in September. What makes me a good Manatee:I love the camaraderie of the group and will try to give input where I can, although the group has far more experience than I do. I also listen to You Are an Ironman at least once a year on audiobook, so I love that I am in a group with Leeanne. It makes me feel like I sort of know a celebrity. Haha.
Jason: Love that you still read "You are an Ironman" annually! I am far from a celebrity but I'll take that as a complement. We had friends who lived in Alaska and just moved to the mountain of NC.

I had not heard of the book You are an Ironman, but now I think I need to find it!

Ha! It's an oldie but a goodie! I come across as being 'clumsy' in that book. It was a book written by a NYC author who profiled 5 or 6 Ironman newbies and our journey's to our first Ironman in 2009. It was fun to be included!
Wo, Leanne. I didnt know about this. How cool. I just ordered the book! I should get you to autograph it!

I read the book when I was in another group and never realized Leanne was the main character or at least IM royalty. I'm going to have to pull it out and read it again.
2023-02-01 6:21 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by JBacarella

I read the book when I was in another group and never realized Leanne was the main character or at least IM royalty. I'm going to have to pull it out and read it again.

Hardly IM royalty but thanks Jim. So fun to think back to those days! I was such a newbie to the sport. I still feel that way at times!
2023-02-01 12:44 PM

Hardly IM royalty but thanks Jim. So fun to think back to those days! I was such a newbie to the sport. I still feel that way at times!

I usually listen to this audiobook and Susan Lacke's "Life's Too Short To Go so F***n Slow" at least once a year. Love them both.
2023-02-03 4:04 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Whats anyone doing this weekend?

2023-02-03 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Still working on report cards. Swimming outside in the cold, probably running in the rain, a trainer ride. I don't have a very exciting life, especially in February! We just applied to adopt a kitty (That would be #4 and absolutely, positively the last one. Mom thinks Shelby needs a "boyfriend" since the other two cats, my fur kids from Vietnam, are a bonded pair, and Shelby, who is technically Mom's cat from Idaho, is the "third wheel".) So it might get more exciting at some point and I could start refereeing 4-way cat fights.
2023-02-04 7:46 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Still working on report cards. Swimming outside in the cold, probably running in the rain, a trainer ride. I don't have a very exciting life, especially in February! We just applied to adopt a kitty (That would be #4 and absolutely, positively the last one. Mom thinks Shelby needs a "boyfriend" since the other two cats, my fur kids from Vietnam, are a bonded pair, and Shelby, who is technically Mom's cat from Idaho, is the "third wheel".) So it might get more exciting at some point and I could start refereeing 4-way cat fights.

lol, that's one way to add excitement to life!

2023-02-04 7:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh Whats anyone doing this weekend?

Just my current new normal (read no cycling and only testing out running ability) weekend activities, so pickleball, strength training, Irish class, and maybe picking out paint for one of the guest bedrooms. And, testing out a new dessert pizza.

Edited by amd723 2023-02-04 7:50 AM
2023-02-04 9:27 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Still working on report cards. Swimming outside in the cold, probably running in the rain, a trainer ride. I don't have a very exciting life, especially in February! We just applied to adopt a kitty (That would be #4 and absolutely, positively the last one. Mom thinks Shelby needs a "boyfriend" since the other two cats, my fur kids from Vietnam, are a bonded pair, and Shelby, who is technically Mom's cat from Idaho, is the "third wheel".) So it might get more exciting at some point and I could start refereeing 4-way cat fights.

Awww. We have two rescue kitties. They are brother and sister. We got them when they were only 8 weeks old. They just turned 16!! I love them both to pieces and since I don't have kids they are pretty much my everything! I'm excited for you!
2023-02-04 9:28 AM
in reply to: amd723

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Just my current new normal (read no cycling and only testing out running ability) weekend activities, so pickleball, strength training, Irish class, and maybe picking out paint for one of the guest bedrooms. And, testing out a new dessert pizza.

What are you reading? I'm between books right now!

2023-02-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Did you guys see in the Forum (Challenge) section there is a run 1000 miles in 2023 challenge? I signed up and Jim is doing it too!

There is a google spreadsheet and you just have to add your username and update your miles.

Join in! Looks like a fun challenge!
2023-02-04 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have no idea how many miles I run, actually, because I almost never track distance, unless it's a race or my coach insists I do. I just don't care, and don't want to get depressed by how much slower I am now than in my youth!

As for the kitty, our application was approved and we're waiting to schedule a "meet and greet" at his foster home. Hope our geezer cats are up to the shock of a newcomer!
2023-02-04 4:13 PM

User image

Expert

Did you guys see in the Forum (Challenge) section there is a run 1000 miles in 2023 challenge? I signed up and Jim is doing it too!

There is a google spreadsheet and you just have to add your username and update your miles.

Join in! Looks like a fun challenge!

This is my 5th year doing it. It helps to keep me focused, basically an ADHD coping tool. I think I only missed the goal last year.
Curtis is in the group too.
2023-02-04 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Did you guys see in the Forum (Challenge) section there is a run 1000 miles in 2023 challenge? I signed up and Jim is doing it too! There is a google spreadsheet and you just have to add your username and update your miles. Join in! Looks like a fun challenge!
This is my 5th year doing it. It helps to keep me focused, basically an ADHD coping tool. I think I only missed the goal last year. Curtis is in the group too.

This would just depress me right now!

2023-02-05 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What are you reading? I'm between books right now!

I am just finishing up the 3d book of a series written by Richard Osman: The Thursday Murder Club, The Man Who Died Twice, and The Bullet That Missed.  I listened (I mainly do audio books) when I was desperate to find something for a trip. I was so pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it! They are smart, funny, and not the classic who done its. If you decide to try one, I suggest trying them in order as they build on each other. Thinking about reading v listening and I really think there is a lot added to these books by listening as the presenter/s are so good and add to the story. They switched presenters for book 3 b/c the original had a conflict. At first I hated the new reader, but after a couple of chapters, I realized how great she was and that I was just missing the familiarity I had with the other person. 

I also listen to books by David McCullough, so I do get a little education

2023-02-06 10:52 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Manatees!  Proof of life post.  I haven't been too active in the thread because I haven't been doing too much training or tri-related things, so I feel guilty that way.  But I did play hockey yesterday, so there's that. 

So I posted for recommendations, if anyone has any - I know our group is well-traveled!  This May friends and I will travelling to Charleston, SC for an extended weekend (arrive Sat around lunch, leave Tuesday around the same time) and am looking for any lodging, dining, drinking, or entertainment suggestions or recommendations.  I love history, so I am planning on seeking out some tours.  I've never been to that city or area, so everything will be new.  We will have a rental car.

Monday we will be travelling to Savannah to see a Savannah Bananas baseball game and I cannot tell you how excited I am for that!!

So hit me with your ideas, folks!  Please and thank you!

2023-02-06 11:14 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Did you guys see in the Forum (Challenge) section there is a run 1000 miles in 2023 challenge? I signed up and Jim is doing it too! There is a google spreadsheet and you just have to add your username and update your miles. Join in! Looks like a fun challenge!

I did the 1000 mile challenge last year.  I was only doing about 750-850 miles my first 2-3 years on BT so shooting or 1000 stretched me a little bit but wasn't an unrealistic goal.  

2023-02-06 1:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Hi Manatees!  Proof of life post.  I haven't been too active in the thread because I haven't been doing too much training or tri-related things, so I feel guilty that way.  But I did play hockey yesterday, so there's that. 

So I posted for recommendations, if anyone has any - I know our group is well-traveled!  This May friends and I will travelling to Charleston, SC for an extended weekend (arrive Sat around lunch, leave Tuesday around the same time) and am looking for any lodging, dining, drinking, or entertainment suggestions or recommendations.  I love history, so I am planning on seeking out some tours.  I've never been to that city or area, so everything will be new.  We will have a rental car.

Monday we will be travelling to Savannah to see a Savannah Bananas baseball game and I cannot tell you how excited I am for that!!

Sorry, it has been years since I was in Savannah and it was just for the day. Wish I could help, but I’m sure you’ll have fun despite my lack of input!

2023-02-06 5:33 PM

User image

Expert

Sorry, it has been years since I was in Savannah and it was just for the day. Wish I could help, but I’m sure you’ll have fun despite my lack of input!

I've only driven through it. I have a friend who is a snow-bird there and he tells everyone to take one of the haunted/ghost tours of the city. You get a darker but fun history of the city.
2023-02-07 12:12 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I've only driven through it. I have a friend who is a snow-bird there and he tells everyone to take one of the haunted/ghost tours of the city. You get a darker but fun history of the city.
I was planning on finding a good ghost tour, I find them to be very interesting to get some of the history and the lore of the area.

2023-02-07 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I was planning on finding a good ghost tour, I find them to be very interesting to get some of the history and the lore of the area.

It's a beautiful town and party central for both St. Patrick's Day and Halloween.

2023-02-07 5:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I LOVE CHARLESTON, SC!! I got engaged there many moons ago. One of my best friend's moved there about 8 years and ago so we go often. I do the Kiawah Island half or full marathon there almost every year.

Charleston...it's a foodies heaven! So many good places to eat. One my favorites if 82 Queen for lunch or dinner. Hank's Seafood is also good for dinner. Lots of good places to eat on King street.

If you stay in the city you can walk everywhere. If you want a little cheaper lodging you can stay over the Cooper Bridge in Mount Pleasant. I'd recommend running or walking up and over Cooper Bridge just for the experience. There is a Cooper Bridge 10 km in April that gets 1000's of people.

Charleston is very southern, old southern. The houses are amazing and you really just need to walk around. Many have lovely courtyard gardens and streets are cobblestone.

Let me know if you want specific recommendations and I'll ask my girlfriend. Her in-laws live downtown on King Street and she and her hubby live on James Island very close.
2023-02-10 10:40 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I get to be the 1:40 pacer at the Katy, TX Half Marathon on Saturday. 

I was the 8:00 min/mi pacer on the Hot Chocolate Dallas 15K team from 2020-2022, but after moving to Houston the Dallas event went from a 3 hour drive to a 4 hour drive and the Kay race is just a 20 minute drive.  with the Dallas race and the Katy race on the same day every year I dropped the Dallas gig, but they were a lot more organized than the Katy Pace Team.  I will see how it goes tomorrow.  I really don't know what to expect.  The Hot Chocolate Pace team had group chats and discussion starting a month before the race and we put in Pacer Bios for the Pace Team information page and shirt sizes for Pacer Jerseys, etc. before that.  The Katy pace team hasn't had any communications, planning, etc.

It will be a fun training run with lots of people, aid stations, and a tee shirt.      

2023-02-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I get to be the 1:40 pacer at the Katy, TX Half Marathon on Saturday. 

I was the 8:00 min/mi pacer on the Hot Chocolate Dallas 15K team from 2020-2022, but after moving to Houston the Dallas event went from a 3 hour drive to a 4 hour drive and the Kay race is just a 20 minute drive.  with the Dallas race and the Katy race on the same day every year I dropped the Dallas gig, but they were a lot more organized than the Katy Pace Team.  I will see how it goes tomorrow.  I really don't know what to expect.  The Hot Chocolate Pace team had group chats and discussion starting a month before the race and we put in Pacer Bios for the Pace Team information page and shirt sizes for Pacer Jerseys, etc. before that.  The Katy pace team hasn't had any communications, planning, etc.

It will be a fun training run with lots of people, aid stations, and a tee shirt.      

Have a great time tomorrow!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33