BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hi everyone!

I know I've been scarce around these parts for a while, but hoping that I can come back?  

I've caught up on all the shenanigans, puppies, weddings (WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!), races, AG placing, PRs, job interviews (good luck Kate!), BT improvements... or lack thereof, etc.  

And all I can really say is..... I've missed you guys, bless your hearts!  

Heeeeyyy, you've thawed out enough to type!

Yeaaaaahhhh... about that.  We're supposed to get another 6-10 inches of snow tonight.  I'm ready to drop everything right NOW and move!  

2014-03-11 3:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Hi everyone!

I know I've been scarce around these parts for a while, but hoping that I can come back?  

I've caught up on all the shenanigans, puppies, weddings (WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!), races, AG placing, PRs, job interviews (good luck Kate!), BT improvements... or lack thereof, etc.  

Oh hey there! Welcome back! 

Thanks!  

2014-03-11 3:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Artemis

It might just be me and my old-timey soul but I LOVE the new Brooks heritage collection:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Heritage-Collection/heritage,default,pg.html

But there are no orange ones!!!

I think I'd rock the gold ones. They wouldn't be for racing, so it's ok that there isn't orange

Yep. I figured those would be your choice. Feelin' Solid Gold 80s!

I like the purple ones.  And the grey with green.  But, I am not nearly as flashy as Salty.  

As a jeans a t-shirt kinda gal, I am flattered by this once in a lifetime comment

Have you actually looked at the various things you race in? 

2014-03-11 3:58 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Hi everyone!

Heeeeyyy, you've thawed out enough to type!

Yeaaaaahhhh... about that.  We're supposed to get another 6-10 inches of snow tonight.  I'm ready to drop everything right NOW and move!  

Well, crap!  I was thinking things were on the warm-up after your run outside.  Would your snowbird parents enjoy a visit from you about now? lol

2014-03-11 4:08 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

It might just be me and my old-timey soul but I LOVE the new Brooks heritage collection:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Heritage-Collection/heritage,default,pg.html

I think I'd rock the gold ones. They wouldn't be for racing, so it's ok that there isn't orange

I like the purple ones.  And the grey with green.  But, I am not nearly as flashy as Salty.  

As a jeans a t-shirt kinda gal, I am flattered by this once in a lifetime comment

I was Blanche Devereaux ONE time, sheeeeesh

2014-03-11 6:23 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

This brings up a SERIOUS race dilemma:  I always wear some orange when racing (from some to kind of a lot).  Buuuuut, our race this weekend is on the cusp of St. Patrick's day.  Just outside of Boston.  I'm a Mc.  And I don't want to get stabbed on route - seriously.  (not many people wear orange here around the 17th, even though it's part of the flippin' flag - too dangerous)

So, you think I can get away with rockin' the orange kicks (Saucony Mirage) if I wear a green long sleeved tech shirt?  Do I need a shamrock painted on my chrome dome?  Green frosted eyebrows???  Leprechaun outfit????

The important issues of our times…  

Matt

ORANGE!!! You traitor!!! . Of course, I'm sure you know that the green on the Irish flag stands for the Catholics and the orange the Protestants and the white between them represents the supposed unity between them for the freedom, unity and benefit of Ireland. However, when irish see orange they think of the Orangemen , a group that celebrate william of orange and his defeat of the catholic king of Ireland at the battle of the Boyne. This was one of the key events that led to centuries of oppression and genocide of Ireland's Catholics . It's kind of a touchy subject . So, while I think you'd be ok with orange shoes, I wouldn't wear anymore orange than that! Especially in Boston where there is such a strong irish catholic contingent.

and that concludes today's history lesson

Reminds me of the old Irish Rovers' song, "The awful color problem of the orange and the green!" 

My surname is McManus, but my mother's maiden name starts with Mac.     The Better Half is English/Irish.

Talk about tense Thanksgiving dinners.      Good thing we're descended of Vikings on both sides, as they're a particularly calm lot…  Wait, what?

Next weekend, I'll be all Irish, though!

Matt

Yes, those calm Vikings!  I have nothing but Irish blood in me (one of my brother's is  even the irish consul for Florida) so I've heard my fair share of irish rebel songs and no whenever anyone mentions cromwell's name I'm supposed to say, "bad sess to him"! and if i ever see his grave I must spit on it

Me and Wifey are off over to Dublin for a few sherbies this weekend to join in the St Patricks Day celebrations. Only seems right seems he's the most celebrated Welshman in the world.

Indulge me. Whatsa sherbie. 

Sherbet has been used in parts of both the UK and Australia as slang for an alcoholic drink, especially beer. This use is noted in a slang dictionary as early as 1890, and still appears in list of slang terms written today (especially lists of Australian slang). "We're heading to the pub for a few sherbets." - … pints of beer."[citation needed]

2014-03-11 7:17 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Manatees just a quick check in between feeding puppies. Thankfully they are now up to a feed every 3.5 hours, but sadly it takes 1.5 hours to feed them and get them sorted.

Kate so glad your interview went well, praying that the next steps go well too and move reasonable quickly.

Great race Salty (sorry I haven't had a chance to read your report yet).

Thanks for the history lesson today Ann-Marie it's really interesting the things that flags say about the history of a country.

Marc I think that you asked about Mastiffs tolerating the winters in Canada. The answer is yes, they would probably prefer it to the Australian summer. They don't mind the cold at all, the heat not so much. We had a friend that actually exported 2 puppies to Canada a few years ago.

Its worth noting that they are very much a people dog, where ever you are they like to be so they really need to be able to live inside with you. In fact we won't let a puppy go to a family if it isn't going to be allowed inside.

Oh and yay for anyone running in a kilt
2014-03-11 10:37 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Denver, CO

This brings up a SERIOUS race dilemma:  I always wear some orange when racing (from some to kind of a lot).  Buuuuut, our race this weekend is on the cusp of St. Patrick's day.  Just outside of Boston.  I'm a Mc.  And I don't want to get stabbed on route - seriously.  (not many people wear orange here around the 17th, even though it's part of the flippin' flag - too dangerous)

So, you think I can get away with rockin' the orange kicks (Saucony Mirage) if I wear a green long sleeved tech shirt?  Do I need a shamrock painted on my chrome dome?  Green frosted eyebrows???  Leprechaun outfit????

The important issues of our times…  

Matt

ORANGE!!! You traitor!!! . Of course, I'm sure you know that the green on the Irish flag stands for the Catholics and the orange the Protestants and the white between them represents the supposed unity between them for the freedom, unity and benefit of Ireland. However, when irish see orange they think of the Orangemen , a group that celebrate william of orange and his defeat of the catholic king of Ireland at the battle of the Boyne. This was one of the key events that led to centuries of oppression and genocide of Ireland's Catholics . It's kind of a touchy subject . So, while I think you'd be ok with orange shoes, I wouldn't wear anymore orange than that! Especially in Boston where there is such a strong irish catholic contingent.

and that concludes today's history lesson

Reminds me of the old Irish Rovers' song, "The awful color problem of the orange and the green!" 

My surname is McManus, but my mother's maiden name starts with Mac.     The Better Half is English/Irish.

Talk about tense Thanksgiving dinners.      Good thing we're descended of Vikings on both sides, as they're a particularly calm lot…  Wait, what?

Next weekend, I'll be all Irish, though!

Matt

Matt, if anybody gets in your face about the orange shoes, you could always argue--and what good Irishman doesn't like to argue?-- that you're just stomping on the orange, keeping it down where it should be (or something along that line).

From a fellow (former) Catholic (1/4) Gael - Mary Catherine

Now you all know my "you're in trouble!" name. Please don't use it unless you really mean it!
2014-03-11 10:44 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

I HATE daylight savings time! Stupid Benjamin Franklin . That is all.

I've been rethinking my whine about DST. Got to see a gorgeous sunrise yesterday morning and took a lovely walk last night after dinner. Been awhile since either happened. Looking forward to outdoor evening workouts!!
2014-03-11 10:53 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO
Training question for you all: As mentioned in my intro, I've been pretty inactive for the past couple years. At what point would it be okay to start running? My DH says I should wait until I'm able to walk 30 minutes, and then start out with run-walk intervals (e.g., 1 min. run, 4 min. walk), gradually increasing running time and decreasing walking time. I'm wondering if I should just give it a shot now with the run-walk intervals now, or wait until I've built up my strength more. I just don't want to push too hard too fast and end up injured again.

Thanks.
m
2014-03-11 11:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

I was Blanche Devereaux ONE time, sheeeeesh

Those orange and green outfits are such quiet colors. 

Contrast that with mostly dark grey to matte black for me.

Edited by brigby1 2014-03-11 11:31 PM

2014-03-11 11:36 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock Training question for you all: As mentioned in my intro, I've been pretty inactive for the past couple years. At what point would it be okay to start running? My DH says I should wait until I'm able to walk 30 minutes, and then start out with run-walk intervals (e.g., 1 min. run, 4 min. walk), gradually increasing running time and decreasing walking time. I'm wondering if I should just give it a shot now with the run-walk intervals now, or wait until I've built up my strength more. I just don't want to push too hard too fast and end up injured again. Thanks. m

If you're really not sure about it and have been quite inactive, something like a C25K plan should work well to start out. They have alternating walk & run segments to build it up. I've been very active for a long time, but in coming back from an injury, this is basically what I do. You could start off just walking a bunch, as was suggested. And then work into this. That will help you get into the mentality of fitting in a workout as well.

2014-03-12 6:58 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock Training question for you all: As mentioned in my intro, I've been pretty inactive for the past couple years. At what point would it be okay to start running? My DH says I should wait until I'm able to walk 30 minutes, and then start out with run-walk intervals (e.g., 1 min. run, 4 min. walk), gradually increasing running time and decreasing walking time. I'm wondering if I should just give it a shot now with the run-walk intervals now, or wait until I've built up my strength more. I just don't want to push too hard too fast and end up injured again. Thanks. m

If you're really not sure about it and have been quite inactive, something like a C25K plan should work well to start out. They have alternating walk & run segments to build it up. I've been very active for a long time, but in coming back from an injury, this is basically what I do. You could start off just walking a bunch, as was suggested. And then work into this. That will help you get into the mentality of fitting in a workout as well.

What he said. I do know that he's damn smart, even though I have no idea what his name is. Bobby? Is that you?

I also think your name is HappyStoned.

2014-03-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

What he said. I do know that he's damn smart, even though I have no idea what his name is. Bobby? Is that you?

Stop taking the schist out of her, she's gneiss really.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-03-12 8:31 AM
2014-03-12 9:06 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Well, I guess today it is.

2014-03-12 9:19 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yup, this was going to be my suggestion, too.  A friend who just got into running at age 56 used it with good results. Not saying you're old, just saying...oh, never mind.  Now I gotta pry my foot out of my mouth...

2014-03-12 9:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm a little scared that I'm asking a clothing question to this group, but here goes:  knee warmers for biking: over the shorts (outside) or under the shorts (inside) for the overlap?  I finally wore my 'new' knee warmers since my knicker-length, non-lined bottoms bit the big one.  OK, now I'm worried about mentioning knicker-length because that has a different connotation in England and some other places, right?!  Eek.  Uh, think capri length.   FWIW I wore them under after flipping them inside, outside, inside, outside before I settled on inside of shorts.

2014-03-12 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by melbo55

I'm a little scared that I'm asking a clothing question to this group, but here goes:  knee warmers for biking: over the shorts (outside) or under the shorts (inside) for the overlap?  I finally wore my 'new' knee warmers since my knicker-length, non-lined bottoms bit the big one.  OK, now I'm worried about mentioning knicker-length because that has a different connotation in England and some other places, right?!  Eek.  Uh, think capri length.   FWIW I wore them under after flipping them inside, outside, inside, outside before I settled on inside of shorts.

The one time I wore knee warmers I believe I put them over the shorts.
2014-03-12 10:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Yup, this was going to be my suggestion, too.  A friend who just got into running at age 56 used it with good results. Not saying you're old, just saying...oh, never mind.  Now I gotta pry my foot out of my mouth...

I know 30 yr olds who have used it.

2014-03-12 10:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

I think they generally go under. Knee warmers on first, then pull the shorts over.

2014-03-12 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

When?!? Don't lie, we know where you live.

2014-03-12 11:07 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by cdban66

He he, I think it was about 55* one morning I wanted to ride. That's cold. Isn't it?
2014-03-12 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

He he, I think it was about 55* one morning I wanted to ride. That's cold. Isn't it?

We're soooooooooo fighting!!

I'm pretty sure that it's now officially official (as opposed to almost official?  Or not quite official?  Or somewhat official?)  We're MOVING by the end of this year.  Neither one of us wants to spend another winter in... well... winter.  Making plans to go check out Austin in either April or May for a weekend.  WOOOOOOOT!!!  

2014-03-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm pretty sure that it's now officially official (as opposed to almost official?  Or not quite official?  Or somewhat official?)  We're MOVING by the end of this year.  Neither one of us wants to spend another winter in... well... winter.  Making plans to go check out Austin in either April or May for a weekend.  WOOOOOOOT!!!  

unfair fight!!!!!  Yay to the move!!

2014-03-12 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

unfair fight!!!!!  Yay to the move!!

Unfair??  No way, José!!  You brought this on yourself with all that oooooh 55* is sooooo cold kind of talk.  I must warn you though, being Canadian and having all things hockey-like ingrained in our DNA, the only way I know how to fight is to pull your shirt over your head and then try to land an upper-cut.  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38302 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.