BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-04 9:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by cdban66

It looks like many of us had a nice, albeit challenging, weekend. Way to tough it out racers, set PR's, and get on podiums!

Mr Matt, maybe this is the point to take a few days of rest, recovery and relaxation with your new wife. If that's possible for you (it seems that time off may be a mental challenge, seeing the way you train!)

I hope all is well in Manatee land for everyone.  Enjoy whatever the week has in store for you!

You're definitely right.  Right now I get to rest no matter what, as I couldn't ride a bike enjoyably right now anyway.  My wife and I are going to Italy in a couple of weeks, so I'll likely keep whatever I do really easy until then to aid recovery.

2015-05-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Denver, CO

Good job, all you racers, even if your results weren't what you'd hoped they'd be!! You got out out there and did your best, and in some cases did some major a$$-kicking (yay, Salty and Jonathan!!!).  I'm SO behind on reading race reports.  Sorry, everybody!

Sorry to hear about the crash, MR Matt.  It sucks that you were so ready for that race only to have it come to a crashing halt through no fault of your own.  Hope you heal in time to be able to fully enjoy Italy.

Stacey, so sad to hear about the athlete dying during the race.  It's a big reminder to live each moment to the fullest because I never know what moment might be my last.  That sounds kind of trite, but it's true.

It was wonderful to see TJ do her first marathon.  She looked tired but strong and I'm so proud of her!!!  I hung out at about mile 23.5 to cheer on everybody struggling up an unexpected hill.  It wasn't on the course map and lots of people were wishing it wasn't there.  I stayed until the last racer came through and walked up it with a few.  I'm just in awe of them.  Here they'd come more than 23 miles and even walking, they kept going knowing that they had 3 miles yet to go.  I don't know if I'd have had the mental strength to keep going at that point!

2015-05-04 11:43 AM
in reply to: #5112712

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
You helped me regain that mental strength, I'm sure you did for the others as well.
2015-05-04 11:45 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner You helped me regain that mental strength, I'm sure you did for the others as well.

{LIKE}

Mary is cool!

2015-05-04 11:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Quick proof of life post - I was in Lake Placid, NY for a hockey tournament since Thurs, so apparently I missed a lot in the manatee world.  Congrats on the successful racers/riders, heal up for the newly injured, and I'm glad MR Matt's crash especially wasn't more serious.  Oh, and we won the tournament - gold medal winners!

Panoramic of Mirror Lake from our hotel

Ice/snow still on the mountainsides

My Widows, gold medal winners!

Freezing my feet off in the lake.  The last of the ice had only melted off the night before.

Yes, Ann-Marie, pigs DO fly!

X

2015-05-04 11:51 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner You helped me regain that mental strength, I'm sure you did for the others as well.

{LIKE}

Mary is cool!

Yup!

2015-05-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Quick proof of life post - I was in Lake Placid, NY for a hockey tournament since Thurs, so apparently I missed a lot in the manatee world.  Congrats on the successful racers/riders, heal up for the newly injured, and I'm glad MR Matt's crash especially wasn't more serious.  Oh, and we won the tournament - gold medal winners!

Panoramic of Mirror Lake from our hotel

Ice/snow still on the mountainsides

My Widows, gold medal winners!

Freezing my feet off in the lake.  The last of the ice had only melted off the night before.

Yes, Ann-Marie, pigs DO fly!

X

Yay, Melanie and Widows!!  Beautiful pictures too.  Those pigs are hilarious!!

2015-05-04 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by msteiner

Well my race didn't go as planned.  I went from the race list straight to the DL.  With two miles left the group started surging pretty hard, and two guys in front of me tried to fill the same gap in the peloton.  After they bumped into each other they both fell.  I tried to get around them the best I could, but I ended up running over one of their rear wheels and slamming on the ground pretty hard.  The bike is OK, but my back left shoulder is scraped and bruised pretty bad.  I'm not sure where I picked up this habit, but I instinctively roll my left shoulder into whatever impact I'm about to feel.

I won't bother with pics of my scrapes, but here's my helmet from the race:

I borrowed a teammate's helmet to go ahead and do the 3 mile TT.  I managed to get through it, but I pretty much grit my teeth through the whole thing.  I'm staying home today instead of racing.  Moving the left arm is doable, but it hurts to do anything meaningful with it.  I couldn't do any solid cornering with it most likely.

All of my training was focused on this race.  It really sucks being ready and feeling well while having the actions of others put you out of the running at the same time.  That's an aspect of road racing I'll have to learn to deal with.

Sorry to hear about your crash but am so glad you didn't suffer anything worse.  The fact you got back in it was a good sign that you will recover and be back out there before you know it.

I have a friend who showed me a picture yesterday of an accident a family member had over the weekend where a very large rock came off a cliff while they were on the freeway and hit the front fender of the car and the damage was horrible.  He thought they were unlucky to be hit and my first thought was they were extremely lucky the rock didn't hit a foot further back and go through the window.  Sometimes things do suck but often the fact they weren't worse is a blessing. 

2015-05-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

{LIKE}

Mary is cool!

Yup!

Aw, thanks.  I don't know what comes over me when I spectate at races.  I always try to find a tough part of the course, then I turn into this silly uber-cheerleader and make a total fool of myself dancing around, whooping and hollering.  I feel bad only cheering on one person--everybody deserves some encouragement, not only the person I'm there to see.  Plus all the smiles I get make it worthwhile.  I sure got a lot of exercise yesterday!!

2015-05-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by JJ- Finished the Tri Tyler Olympic this morning and managed to take 2nd in my AG. Had a blast at my first Olympic distance and surprised that racing back to back weeks was not near as tough as I expected. Now for a few days off

Congrats on a great race.  Olympics are a fun distance.  You deserve some rest after the last few weeks. 

2015-05-04 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by msteiner

Well my race didn't go as planned.  I went from the race list straight to the DL.  With two miles left the group started surging pretty hard, and two guys in front of me tried to fill the same gap in the peloton.  After they bumped into each other they both fell.  I tried to get around them the best I could, but I ended up running over one of their rear wheels and slamming on the ground pretty hard.  The bike is OK, but my back left shoulder is scraped and bruised pretty bad.  I'm not sure where I picked up this habit, but I instinctively roll my left shoulder into whatever impact I'm about to feel.

I won't bother with pics of my scrapes, but here's my helmet from the race:

I borrowed a teammate's helmet to go ahead and do the 3 mile TT.  I managed to get through it, but I pretty much grit my teeth through the whole thing.  I'm staying home today instead of racing.  Moving the left arm is doable, but it hurts to do anything meaningful with it.  I couldn't do any solid cornering with it most likely.

All of my training was focused on this race.  It really sucks being ready and feeling well while having the actions of others put you out of the running at the same time.  That's an aspect of road racing I'll have to learn to deal with.

I resemble that remark

I hope that you are feeling better today.

2015-05-04 12:16 PM
in reply to: #5112894

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Traveling through Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak is hiding behind clouds. Probably didn't need to see that today anyway.
2015-05-04 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by rrrunner I'm alive. I survived it. That's about the only goal I met. Nutrition went great but hotter weather and a brand new hip pain made for a long day. Seeing Mary and DH with about 5k to go propelled me to the finish. Everything south of my waist is hurty. My friend Beth DNF-ed. We hadn't stayed together. She was behind me so I didn't learn until the end, from another friend, that the heat got to her and they put her in an ambulance.

Congrats on getting through it.  Survival is always a win with a marathon.  I hope you recover quickly and your hip settles down.

I loved hearing about Mary cheering for everyone out there.  That's awesome.

2015-05-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner I'm alive. I survived it. That's about the only goal I met. Nutrition went great but hotter weather and a brand new hip pain made for a long day. Seeing Mary and DH with about 5k to go propelled me to the finish. Everything south of my waist is hurty. My friend Beth DNF-ed. We hadn't stayed together. She was behind me so I didn't learn until the end, from another friend, that the heat got to her and they put her in an ambulance.

Congratulations, surviving a marathon is a big accomplishment, especially your first. now take it easy and recover.  Sorry about your friend, running in the heat is no joke.

+1

2015-05-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Took a 3-day offroading/camping trip to Sedona area before J leaves for Cali. Some really beautiful trails and views every day. We had two trails planned and ended up doing four, plus some hiking. I think I took 200+ pics  It was a good escape from reality.

Erin, those pictures are gorgeous and I especially love the one of the two kiddos.  That's definitely one to treasure.

Loved the pictures too.  That looks like so much fun.  I just got an older F150 with 4" lift and 33's.  My older son is really into 4 wheeling and we are going to go on a few adventures soon.

2015-05-04 12:21 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

snip.......  I stayed until the last racer came through and walked up it with a few.  I'm just in awe of them.  Here they'd come more than 23 miles and even walking, they kept going knowing that they had 3 miles yet to go.  I don't know if I'd have had the mental strength to keep going at that point!

I think out of all the people I know, YOU are one I wouldn't doubt to have the mental toughness to push through!

Matt - as others have said, glad it wasn't worse! Heal up and take lots of aleve in the meantime And now you get to shop for a new helmet!

JJ - congrats on the podium!

TJ - CONGRATS!!!! and I hope your friend is ok. I was just telling someone yesterday that I don't like to run in the heat - luckily for me I'll probably running in the dark at IMMT

Mel - have your feet thawed yet? OMG the thought of getting into Mirror lake right now gives me brain freeze!! LOL

Yesterday I went up to Middlebury, CT to check out the Quassy half course. They say it's "hilly." Well, they are right. It was me, my cousin and her DH. Poor DH got dropped about 5 miles in and made for a long day. Not to mention the road that was closed for the Boy Scout downhill derby.....it added about 1.5miles to our route to go around and ONE MORE hill.

4,554 feet over 57.5miles - that's 79.2ft/mile if you're wondering. So yeah I can see how people would call it "hilly."

and I hear the run is worse. EEK!

2015-05-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Jonathan!

Congratulations Salty!

A lovely run in the sun sounds lovey, Kirsten :-)

I'm glad that you are off the DL Stacey!

Randee, after Quassy, MT will be a piece of cake, right?

Erin, I'm glad that you were able to have a family get away before J starts his new adventure.

2015-05-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations Jonathan!

Congratulations Salty!

A lovely run in the sun sounds lovey, Kirsten :-)

I'm glad that you are off the DL Stacey!

Randee, after Quassy, MT will be a piece of cake, right?

Erin, I'm glad that you were able to have a family get away before J starts his new adventure.

The elevation gain at MT is not 2x Quassy so I figure it's in the bag
2015-05-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: #5112910

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Funny story...
DH and I had dinner with my brother and his family yesterday evening. After dinner (and Ben & Jerrys) my 7 year old niece wanted to walk around Old Town. My brother told her that "Aunt TJ is very tired because a bus left her up in the mountains and she had to run all the way back down". Oh the look of confusion and horror on my niece's face!
2015-05-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I had a really good training week but I am beginning to have doubts about my HIM particularly my bike fitness.  I think I have been lulled into a false sense of security.  I worked really hard on the trainer through the winter and on my initial outdoor rides was feeling pretty good but routes were relatively flat.  Did a 30 mile ride yesterday followed by a four mile run and it was a shock to reality.  Chose a hillier route which had some climbs similar to what I'll see in Boise and also had to deal with some strong headwinds.  I was faster than race pace on both the bike and the run but I was pretty spent.

Really, really need to find that pace on the bike that is going to allow me to run halfway descent.  Next up will be a 40 ride/6 run which I'll bring down a notch and see how that feels.  I've also set a goal which I'll practice on the next brick that none of my first three miles will be the fastest on the run.  Less than six weeks to go to get ready.  I really wish I had another month.  I really hate cramming for early season events.

2015-05-04 1:00 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

I had a really good training week but I am beginning to have doubts about my HIM particularly my bike fitness.  I think I have been lulled into a false sense of security.  I worked really hard on the trainer through the winter and on my initial outdoor rides was feeling pretty good but routes were relatively flat.  Did a 30 mile ride yesterday followed by a four mile run and it was a shock to reality.  Chose a hillier route which had some climbs similar to what I'll see in Boise and also had to deal with some strong headwinds.  I was faster than race pace on both the bike and the run but I was pretty spent.

Really, really need to find that pace on the bike that is going to allow me to run halfway descent.  Next up will be a 40 ride/6 run which I'll bring down a notch and see how that feels.  I've also set a goal which I'll practice on the next brick that none of my first three miles will be the fastest on the run.  Less than six weeks to go to get ready.  I really wish I had another month.  I really hate cramming for early season events.

Steve, I did Boise last year.  I train regularly on hills (don't have a choice, it's not what you would call flat here), but I had no issues with the climbs.  it was the wind.  So good that you got some training in with that already!  It impacted the swim and the bike, actually.  Have a look at my RR if you want (you read it last year, but might be more relevant now).  The run is flatty flat flat which is good, and it is along the river, so it is cooler (a good thing since it was so hot last year).  I think they are starting a little earlier than noon though so maybe won't get as hot for you.

2015-05-04 1:03 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

If you were able to manage at the faster-than-planned pace, even though it was tough, it sounds to me like you'll be okay.  You still have some time to dial in the right pace and you're approaching it smartly.  Then again, I've never done a HIM and could just be naively over-optimistic.

2015-05-04 1:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner Funny story... DH and I had dinner with my brother and his family yesterday evening. After dinner (and Ben & Jerrys) my 7 year old niece wanted to walk around Old Town. My brother told her that "Aunt TJ is very tired because a bus left her up in the mountains and she had to run all the way back down". Oh the look of confusion and horror on my niece's face!

Hee hee.  That's great!

I saw a couple of adult/kid pairs running.  The kids looked like they were maybe 8-10.  It's astounding that kids that young can run that far!!  They both looked like they were doing well and it was cool to see the interaction between them and their adult companions.  Maybe you could take your niece next year...

2015-05-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Yesterday I went up to Middlebury, CT to check out the Quassy half course. They say it's "hilly." Well, they are right. It was me, my cousin and her DH. Poor DH got dropped about 5 miles in and made for a long day. Not to mention the road that was closed for the Boy Scout downhill derby.....it added about 1.5miles to our route to go around and ONE MORE hill. 4,554 feet over 57.5miles - that's 79.2ft/mile if you're wondering. So yeah I can see how people would call it "hilly." and I hear the run is worse. EEK!

One of the guys on here brought a military grade device (or equivalent) one time and had just over 4,000 ft on it. What part did you have to go around?

The run depends on who you ask. I actually heard a lot of people think that they thought the bike was a lot worse, but I think they were also so spent from the bike that they ended up walking a lot and didn't get the full effect. Did you get to try any of it? The first few miles are exactly where the bike starts out.

2015-05-04 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner Funny story... DH and I had dinner with my brother and his family yesterday evening. After dinner (and Ben & Jerrys) my 7 year old niece wanted to walk around Old Town. My brother told her that "Aunt TJ is very tired because a bus left her up in the mountains and she had to run all the way back down". Oh the look of confusion and horror on my niece's face!

Hee hee.  That's great!

I saw a couple of adult/kid pairs running.  The kids looked like they were maybe 8-10.  It's astounding that kids that young can run that far!!  They both looked like they were doing well and it was cool to see the interaction between them and their adult companions.  Maybe you could take your niece next year...

You were positioned after the 5k/10k start so in guessing the kids were doing those distances, or maybe the HM. I didn't see any kiddos at the top. My niece ran her first race at Coors Field yesterday

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (134KB - 3 downloads)
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29496 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69156 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57538 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.