BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-03 2:07 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

I did a quick read-through...forgive me if I miss anything.

TJ-Great pic!

Jen- NOPE, not worth the risk.

Janyne- Hiiiii Glad to see you get to start some rehab exercises. p.s. loooooved the pump for my knee.

Ann-Marie- I think TJ stumbled upon another treatment for pain med side effects a few races ago

My teeth...well, they're still temps, though new/better ones. Going for a custom color match at the lab tomorrow because the color we thought was right actually turned out looking a shade darker. So NEXT week I get the REAL new teeth. Yay again?!?

2014-10-03 4:25 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

Maybe because it's premium? I wonder if I can switch it to regular and retain my data?

That's what I thought as well. Get in touch with TP and they should be able to retain your stuff. The only reason I use them is because it comes with the Timex and I want to have the data available to a coach if I ever go that route. OK, so that's 2 reasons. 

Best to check with TP to be sure, but I think they save all the files & entries in there. I think you'll still have access to it after dropping the subscription, just with reduced analysis tools as the free level is more basic. I haven't loaded anything into mine in maybe a year(?) and it's all still there, though I never had a paid for account.

I think that since the info from TP to BT is pretty basic I'll just do it manually until BT learns to talk to Garmin Connect.

I believe that might be up and running. Settings: Training Log Settings: Device Uploads.

Here Tom,

Oh, this isn't the Garmin Connect link? Rats.  I'll wait for that.

Sorry, yes it is the garmin connect link. Bad choice of quoting above by me, I realise now this looks like it's referring to TP instead. Doh.
2014-10-03 7:45 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Had our first shark attack in the state for the summer yesterday. Thankfully the guy survived but he has lost an arm and his other hand. He was surfing by himself at least 150m off shore. No doubt the hysteria will start again this summer.
2014-10-03 7:49 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Artemis

Originally posted by laffinrock

So, Manatees, I could use a sanity check.  I am supposed to run a Rugged Maniac 5k Obstacle Race with lots of mud and water on Saturday.

HOWEVER, 2 weeks ago, I was doing box jumps onto a wooden bench during bootcamp. I missed and scraped a big chunk of skin off my leg.  I think parts were down to the fat layer.  There was nothing to stitch, so I took care of it on my own.  Last weekend, it started getting infected, so I went in to Urgent Care Monday night.  It's definitely infected and the doc put me on broad-spectrum antibiotics and antibiotic ointment; she seemed a bit concerned about MRSA.

It's still not completely closed.

It's crazy to race on Saturday and risk re-infection, right?  I'm not just wimping out?

I agree with you, Jen.  Doing the race sounds like a terrible idea.  You're not being a wimp, you're being prudent.  Hope it's not hurting too badly and that you can apply the race fee toward something else.

That was my thought too. Don't risk the infection, let it heal. Those things can come on hard and fast.

I was pretty surprised how quickly it got nasty.  Now if it gets re-infected, I run the risk of antibiotic resistance, so I think that's contributing to me being overly cautious.

Jen, if I'm not mistaken, one of your biggest assets is intelligence! This is NOT wimping out, it is intelligence. Be smart, DON'T Do EEETTT!!!!

2014-10-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

So, Manatees, I could use a sanity check.  I am supposed to run a Rugged Maniac 5k Obstacle Race with lots of mud and water on Saturday.

HOWEVER, 2 weeks ago, I was doing box jumps onto a wooden bench during bootcamp. I missed and scraped a big chunk of skin off my leg.  I think parts were down to the fat layer.  There was nothing to stitch, so I took care of it on my own.  Last weekend, it started getting infected, so I went in to Urgent Care Monday night.  It's definitely infected and the doc put me on broad-spectrum antibiotics and antibiotic ointment; she seemed a bit concerned about MRSA.

It's still not completely closed.

It's crazy to race on Saturday and risk re-infection, right?  I'm not just wimping out?

I agree with you, Jen.  Doing the race sounds like a terrible idea.  You're not being a wimp, you're being prudent.  Hope it's not hurting too badly and that you can apply the race fee toward something else.

That was my thought too. Don't risk the infection, let it heal. Those things can come on hard and fast.

I was pretty surprised how quickly it got nasty.  Now if it gets re-infected, I run the risk of antibiotic resistance, so I think that's contributing to me being overly cautious.

Jen, if I'm not mistaken, one of your biggest assets is intelligence! This is NOT wimping out, it is intelligence. Be smart, DON'T Do EEETTT!!!!

That might be a first for a Manatee thread.  

This is one of those situations where I know I shouldn't, but it doesn't really make it easier.  My brain doesn't always win.

2014-10-03 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Who was it that was having all the duplicate entries to training log once they enabled garmin connect?? Was there a fix for it??

2014-10-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Maybe because it's premium? I wonder if I can switch it to regular and retain my data?

That's what I thought as well. Get in touch with TP and they should be able to retain your stuff. The only reason I use them is because it comes with the Timex and I want to have the data available to a coach if I ever go that route. OK, so that's 2 reasons. 

Best to check with TP to be sure, but I think they save all the files & entries in there. I think you'll still have access to it after dropping the subscription, just with reduced analysis tools as the free level is more basic. I haven't loaded anything into mine in maybe a year(?) and it's all still there, though I never had a paid for account.

I think that since the info from TP to BT is pretty basic I'll just do it manually until BT learns to talk to Garmin Connect.

I believe that might be up and running. Settings: Training Log Settings: Device Uploads.

Here Tom,

Oh, this isn't the Garmin Connect link? Rats.  I'll wait for that.

Sorry, yes it is the garmin connect link. Bad choice of quoting above by me, I realise now this looks like it's referring to TP instead. Doh.

Fantastic!

2014-10-03 9:16 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife First 10k done. 58:09. I'm happy to be under an hour

Congrats!!

2014-10-03 9:21 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

For all of you who are considering doing a marathon, here's a training plan DH found:  http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/sports/marathon-training-tips-for-the-lonely-wife.html

2014-10-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: JJ-

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JJ- Who was it that was having all the duplicate entries to training log once they enabled garmin connect?? Was there a fix for it??

Several of us had that happen. For me, it was only after the first time. It's been fine now. I took out the duplicates and they haven't been coming back. I think it just looked back over 30 days or so and saw a bunch of things that hadn't been brought from the Garmin site. Even though I deleted them, it knows it looked at those already and isn't pulling them again.

2014-10-03 9:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

TJ - LOVE the dirty picture!

Janyne - keep up the good rehab!

Jen - you already know this answer, but don't risk further injury or infection in your leg by racing.  Sit this one out.

Erin - WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!

Also, I let my 910XT run data from last night auto-upload via Garmin Connect and it worked fine.  Stoopid question, perhaps, but is Strava and Garmin Connect somehow linked?  On the new dashboard of GC, I see a segment section and it has the names of some of the Strava sections I've done on the bike.

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-03 9:41 AM

2014-10-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Also, I let my 910XT run data from last night auto-upload via Garmin Connect and it worked fine.  Stoopid question, perhaps, but is Strava and Garmin Connect somehow linked?  On the new dashboard of GC, I see a segment section and it has the names of some of the Strava sections I've done on the bike.

You can set Strava to pull your data from GC instead of doing manual uploading to Strava.  Maybe if it's set up that way, it also goes from Strava to Garmin if you manually upload to Strava?

2014-10-03 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by 4agoodlife First 10k done. 58:09. I'm happy to be under an hour

This is cool, Congrats!!!!

2014-10-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations Jonathan TX!

Adrienne - Ugh! Sorry to hear bout the nose and teeth. At least you get to recover in Japan.

Erin - New teeth!

Manatee Marathoners, oh my!

YAY, Janyne feels up to hanging out in the pod madness!   Welcome back!!

Oh good grief.  I totally missed that.  Glad to have you back, Janyne!!  How're you doing?

Mostly really (sleepy) tired. I'm good until 2 or 3 o'clock and then need a nap. Shoulder is not too ouchy. I had my first PT appointment today and I'm supposed to take off the sling every hour or two and do some mobility exercises.  One of the new moves is laying on my back with both shoulder blades touching the floor. Ouch! (yes, seriously)

Pro tips for Hands:

• pump top shampoo
  • clothing that you can get on with one arm (pull on). Running shorts work well.  Think about bras and work appropriate bottoms.
  • ice water pump. this was not covered by my insurance but was worth every penny. if this is not covered by your insurance, let me know and we'll talk shipping.
  • stool softener. apparently pain meds have this side effect...

Thanks for the tips! I figured I would need a small bottle of shampoo, but pump top sounds like a much better idea. I'm going to have to go shopping for tops as almost all of mine are pull overs not pull ons. My doc has a ice water pump recommended for me, I still have to check on insurance coverage. I've heard about that lovely pain meds side effect, ugh. I'd ask if you are able to dry your hair, but think our hair lengths are a bit different

glad you are feeling better and will be able to get back to work- even if just part time, next week!

Post surgery before I remember being groggy a lot, but not really falling asleep. Although lately I have been wanting to nap in the afternoon!

Are the ice water pumps anything like one of these? Loved them when needing icing. Not just after surgery, but also if something was injured. Stayed plenty cold for hours and just seemed to work better. Moving water seemed to give a very mild massage like feel and never really allowed a warmth bubble to develop.

Yup, pretty much like that.

2014-10-03 10:23 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

Yanti to Germany with Mutti and Tina Oct 3

October 4-5
Randee - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler on Saturday
Melanie - Yuengling Oktoberfest 5K on Sunday
Stacey - Armadale Duathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 1)
Tom - right knee
Ann-Marie - Achilles tendinitis, thankfully not a tear!
Jen - leg
Judi- asthma/sinus/broncitis flare up

2014-10-03 11:14 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

Have fun on your trip, Yanti!!  I know you will, you always manage to find a way.  Hopefully you remembered underwear.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Racing Manatees!!

Lots of DLers this week, but most seem to be on the mend.  Hope to see you off the list soon.

2014-10-03 11:59 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

You can set Strava to pull your data from GC instead of doing manual uploading to Strava.  Maybe if it's set up that way, it also goes from Strava to Garmin if you manually upload to Strava?

Segments is Garmins version of Strava. Basically copied the idea off Strava. You can opt out of segments in your garmin connect settings, if you wish.
2014-10-03 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

Go racers, and stop smashing yourself up the rest of you.
2014-10-03 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

+ DL Yanti.  I think that we should just reserve a frequent flyer spot for her, though.

2014-10-03 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

DL list longer than racing list, boooo!  Heal up, DLers and GO RACERS!!!

It is still TBD if I am actually racing my 5K or hanging with my newbie buds at their pace.  I'm fine with either choice, I will let them decide if they want company or not.  Either way, we're going to have a fun weekend!  The race is in Bethlehem, PA, where the MS Hockey tournament is each year that I do, plus we play teams out of that rink.  Anyway, we're going to try to hit the Garlic Festival (eat, stink, drink is their motto) in Easton on Sat. and have dinner at the same wonderful Italian place I ate at with my team in Aug.  Of course there is a full-on Oktoberfest celebration both days complete with German dancing, music, etc., but mainly Sunday post-race, and we get 2 free, well, 'free' beers each with our race entry, as well as a beer stein and shirt!

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-03 12:15 PM
2014-10-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

DL list longer than racing list, boooo!  Heal up, DLers and GO RACERS!!!

It is still TBD if I am actually racing my 5K or hanging with my newbie buds at their pace.  I'm fine with either choice, I will let them decide if they want company or not.  Either way, we're going to have a fun weekend!  The race is in Bethlehem, PA, where the MS Hockey tournament is each year that I do, plus we play teams out of that rink.  Anyway, we're going to try to hit the Garlic Festival (eat, stink, drink is their motto) in Easton on Sat. and have dinner at the same wonderful Italian place I ate at with my team in Aug.  Of course there is a full-on Oktoberfest celebration both days complete with German dancing, music, etc., but mainly Sunday post-race, and we get 2 free, well, 'free' beers each with our race entry, as well as a beer stein and shirt!

Fun stuff, Melanie!!  Sounds like you have a great weekend planned, with racing, eating, and drinking with friends.  Doesn't get much better than that!  A garlic festival--I'm jealous.  There's no such thing as too much garlic in my book.  Good prep for Halloween, I suppose...

2014-10-03 12:20 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

+ DL Yanti.  I think that we should just reserve a frequent flyer spot for her, though.

Especially with all the flying she's been doing lately.  Now she just needs to stop flying into stuff.

2014-10-03 12:34 PM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

Go racers!!!  Ohh Randee, a 10-miler! That sounds like a fun distance

2014-10-03 4:58 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Proof of Life post... 

2014-10-03 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

October 4-5

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Jen - leg

GO RANDEE AND MELANIE! Have fun

I am not racing this weekend, decided a couple of weeks ago I just wasn't ready for it yet.

DLers get better soon, this list is far too long (and all the teeth people aren't on it either). Salty I hope your face is feeling better, enjoy your trip to Japan.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 44742 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38933 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74517 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51897 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27016 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.