General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2010-10-28 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3181315

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread
gravesjo - 2010-10-28 9:45 PM
jccbulldog - 2010-10-28 6:52 PMAll,

I've got the shirts but they were later getting in than expected.  I'm a little concerned about them getting to all of you in time and was wondering if you were planning on having a BT get together before the race.  If so I could seperate the order in the envelopes, that are already addressed, but ship it to one location for distributing at the party.  Comments?  All will go out tommorow if you don't want to go this route.  Sorry for the trouble.

Jay
I say better safe than sorry. We are all going to be there. We can find a way to distribute them. Me and my faniky are leaving this weekend. I already arranged with Jen Dicarlo to get them from her. Just my two cents. Would save on shipping too. Thanks again for organizing the shirts. On an even more exciting note I just worked my last night shift for 3 weeks! Leaving Sunday, tomorrow is run around and make sure I have everything day!

I have no problem taking shipment of any shirts that people don't think they would get in time.  I will be in PCB all day Thursday which is probably the best day to meet up and transfer.

2010-10-28 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3181350

User image

Veteran
Austin
jldicarlo - 2010-10-28 9:53 PM
gravesjo - 2010-10-28 9:45 PM
jccbulldog - 2010-10-28 6:52 PMAll,

I've got the shirts but they were later getting in than expected.  I'm a little concerned about them getting to all of you in time and was wondering if you were planning on having a BT get together before the race.  If so I could seperate the order in the envelopes, that are already addressed, but ship it to one location for distributing at the party.  Comments?  All will go out tomorrow if you don't want to go this route.  Sorry for the trouble.

Jay
I say better safe than sorry. We are all going to be there. We can find a way to distribute them. Me and my family are leaving this weekend. I already arranged with Jen DiCarlo to get them from her. Just my two cents. Would save on shipping too. Thanks again for organizing the shirts. On an even more exciting note I just worked my last night shift for 3 weeks! Leaving Sunday, tomorrow is run around and make sure I have everything day!

I have no problem taking shipment of any shirts that people don't think they would get in time.  I will be in PCB all day Thursday which is probably the best day to meet up and transfer.

** Thanks, Jen.
2010-10-29 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
Catwoman - really sorry that you won't be there in person. Was looking forward to meeting you at the bike rack!

I know it must have been a difficult decision, but I think it's the correct one. This is just one race and it's not worth stuffing up future races for it. That's how I looked at things when I had to withdraw from IMNZ earlier this year.

Hope you recover quickly and good luck with IMTX.
2010-10-29 6:59 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Where are you guys planning on starting the swim?

I've always been timid as I'm a slow IM swimmer 1:46-1:47 waiting and starting towards the back of athletes.

I tend to swim to the right so counter clock swim isn't best for me. From what I have heard  and experienced swimming the course last year current tends to push us right on way back to shore so I plan to swim close to buoys or inside them on way back to shore so I don't get way off course and by then everyone will have spread out.

Just trying to decide where to start as I'd like to get the giant draft benefit but not get beat  up.
2010-10-29 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3152720

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida: BT meet up plans
Want to have other BTers contact information for race week....

Other thing that is helpful is to make a spreadsheet of names, screen names, cell numbers, when you will be there, where you are staying & anything else you'd like to share...parent/friend/spouse's cell is good for those who may want to call during race with an update...and exchange it only with folks that participate. I'm willing to do that, if you want send me a email to kkbkesl at comcast dot net put IMFL in subject. Those that send me contact info I will send you the list closer to race.

I posted this 2 weeks ago and have only information from 6 of you. I plan to send out spreadsheet out Monday.
2010-10-29 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3152720

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida: BT swim meet up plans
Swim Meet ups:

Swims..meet at 8  each morning Wed-Friday at Boardwalk Beach hotel on the deck not on the sand..come before or after your swim or come just to meet folks

I plan to swim a loop Wed trying to get in the water at 7am. I'd love to visit with folks but would prefer to do it after I swim. So I'll be looking for BTers on the Boardwalk Beach Hotel's boardwalk/deck around 8am Wed.

Thursday and Friday I'll try to come not sure if I'll be swimming or not.

2010-10-29 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

Catwoman,

I can relate on the struggle you have been going through. I had to pull out of the IM this year due to a stress fracture in my knee of all places!!   I have had so many speed bumps this year and that was the last straw. It's been an emotional journey for me this year!! While everyone else is traveling to PCB I will be sitting in the MRI machine hoping I can run again and praying there is no surgery in my future. I have balled like a baby, been super pissed off, and then finally came to understand that I/you or anyone training can not let the IM define who you are.

Your a strong beautiful person and your student will remember you and your journey!! It's about lifetime fitness, not just one race!!

I will be glued to the computer on race day and wish you all the best IM day!! Enjoy every minute of it.

2010-10-29 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3181802

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida: BT meet up plans

KathyG - 2010-10-29 8:02 AM Want to have other BTers contact information for race week....

Other thing that is helpful is to make a spreadsheet of names, screen names, cell numbers, when you will be there, where you are staying & anything else you'd like to share...parent/friend/spouse's cell is good for those who may want to call during race with an update...and exchange it only with folks that participate. I'm willing to do that, if you want send me a email to kkbkesl at comcast dot net put IMFL in subject. Those that send me contact info I will send you the list closer to race.

I posted this 2 weeks ago and have only information from 6 of you. I plan to send out spreadsheet out Monday.

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot but will get it to you today!

2010-10-29 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3181823

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

KathyG - 2010-10-29 8:13 AM Swim Meet ups:

Swims..meet at 8  each morning Wed-Friday at Boardwalk Beach hotel on the deck not on the sand..come before or after your swim or come just to meet folks

I plan to swim a loop Wed trying to get in the water at 7am. I'd love to visit with folks but would prefer to do it after I swim. So I'll be looking for BTers on the Boardwalk Beach Hotel's boardwalk/deck around 8am Wed.

Thursday and Friday I'll try to come not sure if I'll be swimming or not.

I'm a definate for thursday morning.  Not sure if I'll swim before or after. 

Jen, if you don't mind the burden of receiving and distributing the shirts, I would appreciate it!  I don't think that there is any chance of them getting out here to CA before we leave tuesday.  I will PM you my cell number.

Thanks again Jay!

2010-10-29 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3181885

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
I arrive Tallahasse 6pm Tuesday & pick up car, not sure if I'll make it all the way to PCB on Tuesday or have to stop enroute.

Given i make it Tuesday I plan to swim Wednesday & Thursday, should I miss the Wednesday swim, I'll do thurday and possible Friday.

Plan to drive bike course Thursday after swim (I created the route on google earth & have virtually driven it several times), then bike the run course late afternoon before welcome meal...... so much to do!

Looking forward to meeting y'all, got so many first timer questions,
2010-10-29 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
I won't be getting into PCB until Wednesday afternoon and will spend Wednesday getting settled, getting checked in, grocery shopping, etc.  I plan on being there for the swim Thursday morning and will do a short bike after that.  Looking forward to meeting those of you I haven't met.

2010-10-29 8:53 AM

Toronto
I'm arriving Monday afternoon and will take the rest of that day to settle in.  No firm plans after that,  couple of easy swims,  drive the bike course, ride the run course.  Most of all restup,  I'm feeling pretty tired at this point.
2010-10-29 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Liverpool, England
I arrive in PCB very late Tuesday evening and will be on my own until Wednesday afternoon when dkrrt arrives.

Will try and make the swim on the Wednesday morning, even if it's just to say "Hello". Will have to see how my jetlag is!
2010-10-29 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Looks like I'm the last guy in...Thursday around lunch. I plan to swim Friday AM and would love to meet all you fine folks. See you at 8!
2010-10-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3182093

User image

Elite
SE
I'm on a similar plan to Bar92 ^^^ but will meet you all for the Thursday and Friday swims I hope. Just emailed KathyG the info. Looking forward to meeting all/some of you!

Sorry about the injuries folks, but you'll be back. Many folks overcome something. I was just astounded at the stories of recuperation etc at IMAZ last year. Everyone had a story of some sort.

I think Jen could perhaps stash the shirts in my hotel room if she gets them all. I think I am in the Boardwalk Beach Resort right near the meeting point.
2010-10-29 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
I'm leaving MD Tuesday morning, stopping in Georgia for a night to visit my little bro, and will be getting into PCB sometime Wed afternoon / evening.  I'd love to meetup for a Thursday of Friday swim.

2010-10-29 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Can someone who has done an IM before teach me about race logistics?  I know that all our stuff goes in baggies, as opposed to having a transition spot where it's all laid out, and they bring me my bike and take it away, etc.  What I hadn't considered is what I do with things when I'm done with them.  For example, my wetsuit comes off and I get my bike gear bag.  Where does the wetsuit go then?  How do I get it back when it's all over?  I just realized last night that this race is different than all the others I've done, and now I don't know what to expect!
2010-10-29 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
Looks like I'll be there the earliest so far. Coming in Sunday which means I leave in 2 days!!! My family got a house and is making a week of it. They'll use any excuse to vacation. Looking forward to meeting everyone on Wed or what ever morning you'll be there. Going to drop my bike off now for shipment, which has created a bit of anxiety for me. I just keep telling myself that thousands of people have done this and it will be there in one piece.
2010-10-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3182338

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
ras26 - 2010-10-29 10:39 AMCan someone who has done an IM before teach me about race logistics?  I know that all our stuff goes in baggies, as opposed to having a transition spot where it's all laid out, and they bring me my bike and take it away, etc.  What I hadn't considered is what I do with things when I'm done with them.  For example, my wetsuit comes off and I get my bike gear bag.  Where does the wetsuit go then?  How do I get it back when it's all over?  I just realized last night that this race is different than all the others I've done, and now I don't know what to expect!
I second that and also wanted to get a poll from others who've done IM before to see if you've gotten all your stuff back. I volunteered last year and it seems organized but then again there were thousands of bags everywhere.
2010-10-29 9:59 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I had no problem with getting my stuff back at Lake Placid.  I havent heard of anyone not getting their stuff from the transition bags.  I have heard that sometimes special needs bags come up missing, but I did not have an issue.  The volunteers do a great job of taking care of the transition bags, but it wouldnt surprise me if something small might get missed or fall out.

2010-10-29 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3182338

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

ras26 - 2010-10-29 10:39 AM Can someone who has done an IM before teach me about race logistics?  I know that all our stuff goes in baggies, as opposed to having a transition spot where it's all laid out, and they bring me my bike and take it away, etc.  What I hadn't considered is what I do with things when I'm done with them.  For example, my wetsuit comes off and I get my bike gear bag.  Where does the wetsuit go then?  How do I get it back when it's all over?  I just realized last night that this race is different than all the others I've done, and now I don't know what to expect!

Happy to help.  Swim stuff goes into your T1 bag, bike stuff goes into T2 bag.  The bags will be on the ground in numerical order. When you come into transition after the swim they will call out your # and a volunteer will try to hand you your bag but its best if you have an idea where your bag is if they are busy.  It can be kind of chaotic esp in T1.  They will have striped your suit before you get your bag.  Then you go into the transition tent/area (It was in the hotel last year whoch was mucho bueno) Do your thing and when you come out they will yell your number for someone to get your bike, you may have to getit yourself. 

Off the bike they just take your bike and either you can yell your # or a volunteer may to get your T2 bag. Go into the transition changing area and do your thing.

SN on the bike as you come up there will be spotters to call out your # to retrieve your bag. 

They will give you a little ticket in your packet.  Give that to a freind and they can get your bike and gear bags for you after I think 5pm.  They have to show photo id. Otherwise you get them back when you are done. 

2010-10-29 10:30 AM

User image

Master
NJ

Good luck everyone

2010-10-29 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3171545

User image

Regular
Daffodil - 2010-10-25 6:22 PM Race numbers are up!!!!

I'm 2232.

I can volunteer to make the list of BT participants.

What i need is your screen name, race number, whether it is your first IM, first name and any goals. Anything else?

http://www.ironmanflorida.com/10IMFLABibs.pdf

I already gave you my info, but didn't mention that I ordered one of the athlete trackers.  I couldn't remember if that was going on the list.
2010-10-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3182409

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
kenj - 2010-10-29 9:59 AM

I had no problem with getting my stuff back at Lake Placid.  I havent heard of anyone not getting their stuff from the transition bags.  I have heard that sometimes special needs bags come up missing, but I did not have an issue.  The volunteers do a great job of taking care of the transition bags, but it wouldnt surprise me if something small might get missed or fall out.

It helps a LOT if you don't tie crazy crazy knots in your bag!  If your knots are too difficult to untie you will have to physically rip the bag.  Then you end up depending on the volunteer to move everything into a new bag (if they can even find one).

Moral of the story?  DO NOT KNOT YOUR BAG CLOSED!  Just looping the string once is more than sufficient!
2010-10-29 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
I e-mailed the race officials about lighting on the run course, here is their reply:

Hi Jasha-

I have spoken to the race director and he has ordered more lighting carts for the course. We have our athletes safety in mind and will do our best to improve the lighting from last year. Please feel free to bring extra lighting like a flashlight or headlamp if you would like. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Good luck!

Kristen Stantz ~Athlete Services Coordinator
Ironman World Headquarters|2701 North Rocky Point Drive

I bought a very small flashlight that I'll carry after run special needs just in case.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104