BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by bcraht

Who has an opinion on pedals?  Speedplay vs Look Keo.  Pros/cons?

Kirsten, I use Origin-8 Pro Pulsions, which are Look Keo compatible. I like them, and now have them on my road bike and my fixie. They are easily adjustible for clipping in and out, and you are in/out with a simple push/twist. The platform is not tiny, and I have the ability to easily pedal without being clipped in if I am starting or in trouble. I've had to do so more then once, unfortunately. So, I'd go with the Look's, but that is my comfort zone and I really haven't used the Speedplays.

http://www.origin8.bike/product-description/?prod_model_uid=6102

I've used Speedplay the past few years and had Shimano SPD-SL before that, similar to Look, but not compatible with them. Like Chris said, the Look style would be easier if you don't get clipped in, but the Speedplays are 2-sided and noticeably easier to get into. I also liked how the amount of float is adjustable on the Speedplay, can be set to whatever I like in each direction on each foot. There is no tension trying to return my foot to a center point either. Not sure what Look has towards either of those aspects, but both were things I didn't like as much on the Shimano. One downside is that the release force (to unclip your foot) is fixed on Speedplay, whereas I believe it's adjustable on the others. Might be a little unnerving at first, but I got used to it quickly enough. Just have to become familiar with the motion. The Speedplay are more difficult to walk around in, but neither are very good compared to something like mountain bike shoes. I still put the shoes on in transition and walk to the bike mount in them.

Hmm, my experience with speedplays is opposite of yours. I could not clip in to save my life, but did not have any real issue unclipping ( when I finally got in)!! I did some after the fact research, and found out a lot of people had the same issue. I don't know/can't remember if the style of speedplays was a factor. I was told that small females often have the cant clip in problem. When I was able to get in, I did like them, but I finally stopped using them because I could not stand the clip in fight. I know use Look and have been happy with them.

No issues with the one-sidedness of the Looks?

2014-03-17 10:25 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Orlando

Kirsten, I use Origin-8 Pro Pulsions, which are Look Keo compatible. I like them, and now have them on my road bike and my fixie. They are easily adjustible for clipping in and out, and you are in/out with a simple push/twist. The platform is not tiny, and I have the ability to easily pedal without being clipped in if I am starting or in trouble. I've had to do so more then once, unfortunately. So, I'd go with the Look's, but that is my comfort zone and I really haven't used the Speedplays.

I've used Speedplay the past few years and had Shimano SPD-SL before that, similar to Look, but not compatible with them. Like Chris said, the Look style would be easier if you don't get clipped in, but the Speedplays are 2-sided and noticeably easier to get into. I also liked how the amount of float is adjustable on the Speedplay, can be set to whatever I like in each direction on each foot. There is no tension trying to return my foot to a center point either. Not sure what Look has towards either of those aspects, but both were things I didn't like as much on the Shimano. One downside is that the release force (to unclip your foot) is fixed on Speedplay, whereas I believe it's adjustable on the others. Might be a little unnerving at first, but I got used to it quickly enough. Just have to become familiar with the motion. The Speedplay are more difficult to walk around in, but neither are very good compared to something like mountain bike shoes. I still put the shoes on in transition and walk to the bike mount in them.

Hmm, my experience with speedplays is opposite of yours. I could not clip in to save my life, but did not have any real issue unclipping ( when I finally got in)!! I did some after the fact research, and found out a lot of people had the same issue. I don't know/can't remember if the style of speedplays was a factor. I was told that small females often have the cant clip in problem. When I was able to get in, I did like them, but I finally stopped using them because I could not stand the clip in fight. I know use Look and have been happy with them.

Nope.
2014-03-17 10:33 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Happy birthday Mel!

We had a great race this morning.  My nephew and I ran together, and I let him set the pace.  He did an amazing job, super even splits (5:37, 5:38, 5:40, 5:32, 5:05).  It was an out and back, we saw his mom just past the turnaround.  There was one young lady that was in front of us, but he (we) passed her at just after 4km as he started to pick up the pace.  He finished 10th overall in 27:44!  So proud.  My SIL was 16th OA.  We got dressed up for St. Pattys day with hats and hair.  Super fun running with them.

I love the running/participating with family stories from the manatees, that is simply an awesome thing!  Congrats to you and your nephew and SIL!!   Strong efforts by all!

2014-03-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

LOVE my Speedplays! As I usually tell people: Worlds lightest pedal, world's heaviest cleat! Seriously, walking around in them is impossible but so worth it! ZERO tension, and LOTS of float! Clipping in is all about muscle memory when you find the right spot!

Well I'm surviving - albeit barely.

Hope the racers did well this weekend - I'll be watching for RRs. Mom made me a birthday cake and all I did was eat yesterday. I hope to be able to get back to the elliptical tomorrow and run on Thursday.

Have a great day all!
2014-03-17 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nope.

Agreed. The way they hang when you aren't clipped is such that sliding your foot forward into them pushes them into the correct position. There really is no need to flip or twirl them around at all. Just bring your foot forward and as you connect to them they spin the 90* into place and you clip down into them. 

OK, I reread my description and it makes little sense. But it is a simple process that you figure out after a few tries.

2014-03-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Nope.

Agreed. The way they hang when you aren't clipped is such that sliding your foot forward into them pushes them into the correct position. There really is no need to flip or twirl them around at all. Just bring your foot forward and as you connect to them they spin the 90* into place and you clip down into them. 

OK, I reread my description and it makes little sense. But it is a simple process that you figure out after a few tries.

That weighted feature didn't work so well for me, so could end up upside down. Not much fun with traffic coming.

I may have heard the "small female" thing before, but have no experience with that. The strongest way I know of to make sure of engagement is to press down sharp & quick with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. For me it's a quick weight shift that I'll do if tired and don't want to step that hard. This directs all the force into the engagement, none of it translates into forward motion. Then pedal like normal. I've done this with any type of pedal.

2014-03-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nope.

That weighted feature didn't work so well for me, so could end up upside down. Not much fun with traffic coming.

I may have heard the "small female" thing before, but have no experience with that. The strongest way I know of to make sure of engagement is to press down sharp & quick with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke. For me it's a quick weight shift that I'll do if tired and don't want to step that hard. This directs all the force into the engagement, none of it translates into forward motion. Then pedal like normal. I've done this with any type of pedal.

I have heard that as well. I didn't figure out the trick to it, someone told me I was working at it too hard. But, I have never claimed to be the brightest light in the house.

2014-03-17 11:55 AM

User image

Master

Nope.

I have heard that as well. I didn't figure out the trick to it, someone told me I was working at it too hard. But, I have never claimed to be the brightest light in the house.

I look at the Looks and they look (really?) like if you needed to pedal without clipping in, you could.  The SPs look like your foot could slip off quite easily...

2014-03-17 12:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

I look at the Looks and they look (really?) like if you needed to pedal without clipping in, you could.  The SPs look like your foot could slip off quite easily...

Yes, they could. I had an easier time being able to tell if I was clipped in, however. My experience is that I know If I'm in or not right away whereas I'd already be moving with the other pedals. I would guess that others have pedals that do the auto rotation have done it better than mine do, otherwise there would likely be more complaints on them.

Forgot to add earlier, there is the Light Action line. Lower forces to deal with. I don't know how much easier they are than the Zeros as I've only used those.

2014-03-17 1:52 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Aw, look at Katiefrog's half mary bib--ha ha ha!

I had wondered if anyone here would notice. The race was fun, I was slow (I think it was my slowest half yet....), but that's ok--with shoulder issues and other non training factors, I am okay with that overall. The race did go through part of the bike trail in Sacramento---it made it very hard to actually run as I was looking around me for wild life! Anyway--RR later. 

2014-03-17 4:15 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

RR is up:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=512767 

Congrats Kate - glad you had fun!  That's what it's all about…  

Matt

2014-03-18 12:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Way to go Matt!  Way to go Kate!!

So, I got out on my bike outside for the first time since last fall tonight.  Sunny evening, got in 28km, it was lovely.  And then...less than 1 km from home.  Unclipped right, leaned left.  Bounced off the car waiting at the stoplight and hit the road!!  Nothing hurt but my pride .  Ah the joys of outside!  I laughed at myself for quite awhile.  Still better than the trainer!

Edited by bcraht 2014-03-18 12:28 AM
2014-03-18 5:54 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

So, I got out on my bike outside for the first time since last fall tonight.  Sunny evening, got in 28km, it was lovely.  And then...less than 1 km from home.  Unclipped right, leaned left.  Bounced off the car waiting at the stoplight and hit the road!!  Nothing hurt but my pride .  Ah the joys of outside!  I laughed at myself for quite awhile.  Still better than the trainer!

I bet you scared the crap out of the people in the car
2014-03-18 6:00 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Veteran
East Texas
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONICA!
2014-03-18 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

lol! I think we all have embarrassed ourselves with that move!

2014-03-18 9:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Glad you were OK!

2014-03-18 10:02 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by melbo55

Glad you were OK!

Glad you are okay!  The gift of being able to laugh at ourselves in these things is often essential.

2014-03-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Originally posted by melbo55

Glad you were OK!

Glad you are okay!  The gift of being able to laugh at ourselves in these things is often essential.

Kirsten, I love your outlook. Enjoy the outside whenever you can!

2014-03-18 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey folks, my younger sister could use any prayers from those that are willing. She is fighting depression (among other things) and her doc has upped her meds. I'm not sure it has helped yet though, so any thoughts or prayers would be very welcome. My younger sis is not the one I occasionally run with, that is my older sis (in my avi).

Thanks all.

2014-03-18 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey folks, my younger sister could use any prayers from those that are willing. She is fighting depression (among other things) and her doc has upped her meds. I'm not sure it has helped yet though, so any thoughts or prayers would be very welcome. My younger sis is not the one I occasionally run with, that is my older sis (in my avi).

Thanks all.

Depression is such a tough thing . Thoughts and prayers being sent her way.

. Love the new avi!

2014-03-18 12:11 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks all.

Prayers and well wishes on the way!

2014-03-18 12:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Thanks all.

. Love the new avi!

Yes to the avi!

Your sister will be in my heart and prayers. Been there. That lag time when changing some part of medication can be excruciating and nearly intolerable ... and ultimately horribly frustrating. I reallyreallyreally hope and pray any change will be good, and soon.

2014-03-18 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Thanks all.

. Love the new avi!

Yes to the avi!

Your sister will be in my heart and prayers. Been there. That lag time when changing some part of medication can be excruciating and nearly intolerable ... and ultimately horribly frustrating. I reallyreallyreally hope and pray any change will be good, and soon.

Agreed!!!!!!!!! As often as you've lifted my family in prayer I would be happy to do the same for yours!

2014-03-18 12:25 PM

User image

Melon Presser

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TANGERINES!

Big bouncy manatee flipperee {TANGEMELONS PRESS}

2014-03-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25648 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38254 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18124 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.