BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-07 10:57 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Hmmm,   my doctor says I need to stop running.    At least for the duration.    She didn't say anything about biking and swimming.      So for the duration I will only do  century rides and the like.    I'm sorely temped to take up doing  USMS swim events.   I would like to beat Rowdy once in my life.    Or seriously get further in freediving.  Having lived a very physical life I don't like the idea that I have to slow down.  

Getting older just don't seem fair.

/Rant

well that sucks. Maybe you can find a new doctor? :D HAPPY THURSDAY!! it is Thursday, right? All week I thought it was Thursday so now it's here and I'm not sure. Anyway, run done, haircut after work then pedal. What's on tap for today? GIT back to work

I'm getting my hair cut during lunch today.  Never thought I'd type that on this forum.  My shoulder is yellow, but I'm told that's a good thing.  I had a spirited trainer ride this morning, so my outlook is improving.

Good to hear.  Shaggy and yellow are not a good combination.   Sounds like you and the bike are getting along well.  I was telling DH about your accident last night and he asked (with a grin), "How's the bike?"  I can't remember if anybody asked....

The bike amazingly got away with only a hint of a scrape my left shifter.  My body broke my bike's fall.

2015-05-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Hmmm,   my doctor says I need to stop running.    At least for the duration.    She didn't say anything about biking and swimming.      So for the duration I will only do  century rides and the like.    I'm sorely temped to take up doing  USMS swim events.   I would like to beat Rowdy once in my life.    Or seriously get further in freediving.  Having lived a very physical life I don't like the idea that I have to slow down.  

/Rant

well that sucks. Maybe you can find a new doctor? :D HAPPY THURSDAY!! it is Thursday, right? All week I thought it was Thursday so now it's here and I'm not sure. Anyway, run done, haircut after work then pedal. What's on tap for today? GIT back to work

I could, but she does sports medicine.     She has the training.  Not sure if I could find better.

Exams started today.   I get to be gleefully evil with my students.....

2015-05-07 11:08 AM

User image

Master

Just  quick check-in before out the door for duck feeding.

Getting through first week with J in Cali. It'll be harder when he leaves again on Sunday after only a day home.

Got in some good incline work at the gym on Tuesday. Took it up to 13-15% for a few minutes of power hiking...ouch. Trying to work in a trail run tonight or tomorrow night if some friends can watch the kids.

Happy Friday Eve/Thirsty Thursday

2015-05-07 11:13 AM

User image

Master

/Rant

I'm getting my hair cut during lunch today.  Never thought I'd type that on this forum.  My shoulder is yellow, but I'm told that's a good thing.  I had a spirited trainer ride this morning, so my outlook is improving.

Good to hear.  Shaggy and yellow are not a good combination.   Sounds like you and the bike are getting along well.  I was telling DH about your accident last night and he asked (with a grin), "How's the bike?"  I can't remember if anybody asked....

Shaggy and Scooby, on the other hand...

And I think he said bike had minimal damage, like mostly scratches. Certainly not enough to turn it yellow

2015-05-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

/Rant

The bike amazingly got away with only a hint of a scrape my left shifter.  My body broke my bike's fall.

Had caught in the original posting that the bike was ok. Everything else was tl;dr (no, not really!)

Edited by brigby1 2015-05-07 11:35 AM
2015-05-07 12:29 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

/Rant

Don't do that!  Sacrifice the bike!  It's much easier to upgrade the bike that to become bionic yourself and probably not a whole lot of price difference after copays and cr*p.

2015-05-07 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

/Rant

First thought:  You didn't do this before your wedding?!

Second thought:  You didn't do this before your race?!

Edited by jmkizer 2015-05-07 12:30 PM
2015-05-07 12:35 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Anyone else on Athlinks? Maybe we can add that to the list of Manatee things that we do.  This is the place of truth for the races I've done and my finishing times. I do keep the links to race results, but sometimes those break.

Hit me up. http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/178070150

Hahaha!  I got sucked into the Mike Rossi thread.  Be careful of your Athlinks!

Short version: The guy who wrote an open letter to his kids' principal because the school distract called pulling your children out of school to watch their dad run the Boston Marathon an "unexcused abscence" may have cheated to get his BQ.  Evidence, used includes his race history on Athlinks

Story is no on Runner's World.

2015-05-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

/Rant

Shaggy and Scooby, on the other hand...

And I think he said bike had minimal damage, like mostly scratches. Certainly not enough to turn it yellow

Exactly where my mind went.

2015-05-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

/Rant

Ha!  Had that same thought.  I'm thinking it was probably good that you didn't get it cut before your race.  It gave your head a little extra padding.

2015-05-07 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Anyone else on Athlinks? Maybe we can add that to the list of Manatee things that we do.  This is the place of truth for the races I've done and my finishing times. I do keep the links to race results, but sometimes those break.

Short version: The guy who wrote an open letter to his kids' principal because the school distract called pulling your children out of school to watch their dad run the Boston Marathon an "unexcused abscence" may have cheated to get his BQ.  Evidence, used includes his race history on Athlinks

It reads to me like all "evidence" is circumstantial.  While improbable he made the fitness gains necessary it is still possible.  Unfortunately, he has already been tried and convicted via social media.   Pretty tough to prove either way.  I'm sure that there are probably more BQ shenanigans that occur given the desire to run the race.  Even with interim timing mats it would be pretty easy to cheat if you really wanted to. 

2015-05-07 1:12 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I just found out that my friend has oral cancer and is having surgery tomorrow.  She said it doesn't seem to have spread to her lymph nodes but they won't know the extent of it until after tomorrow's surgery.  She has a 6 year-old son and her husband had surgery to repair a broken tibia two weeks ago so she's already coping with a lot.  I know you don't know her, but please keep her in your thoughts.  Thanks.

2015-05-07 1:13 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Had a pretty good tempo run last night.  We have a stretch of perfect weather coming up so I hope to get outside on the bike this evening and this weekend.  I'm looking forward to fine tuning my big brick workout of the week with a 40 mile ride followed by a six mile run.  Goal is to hone in on a realistic bike pace that allows me to run well.  Goal for that run will be a negative split.  Should be fun. 

2015-05-07 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

/Rant

Ha!  Had that same thought.  I'm thinking it was probably good that you didn't get it cut before your race.  It gave your head a little extra padding.

Well if my hair gets cut too short I get told that I look like I'm 16, so I had a not so much haircut done before the wedding.  By this week it got pretty out of control.

2015-05-07 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by popsracer

It reads to me like all "evidence" is circumstantial.  While improbable he made the fitness gains necessary it is still possible.  Unfortunately, he has already been tried and convicted via social media.   Pretty tough to prove either way.  I'm sure that there are probably more BQ shenanigans that occur given the desire to run the race.  Even with interim timing mats it would be pretty easy to cheat if you really wanted to. 

No timing mats other than start and finish.  Also, simultaneous marathon relay. 

FWIW, the first time I ran Myrtle Beach, my chip didn't work.  It was on the bib and I think something about my race belt was blocking it (it had a little pouch which I wasn't using anyway).  They had video at each timing mat and I was on that.  I had a GPS track to show them.  I was in a zillion photos from the course photographer.  They investigated and gave me a time.

2015-05-07 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just found out that my friend has oral cancer and is having surgery tomorrow.  She said it doesn't seem to have spread to her lymph nodes but they won't know the extent of it until after tomorrow's surgery.  She has a 6 year-old son and her husband had surgery to repair a broken tibia two weeks ago so she's already coping with a lot.  I know you don't know her, but please keep her in your thoughts.  Thanks.

Oh no!  Sending good thoughts her way.  Give her a Manatee hug!  (I think that melon press is trademarked and besides, I ain't got none of those)

2015-05-07 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Wow, that's a tremendous amount to deal with.  Wishing her and her family the best. 

2015-05-07 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Have you kids heard about our bear? It's making national news!! http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/connecticut-runners-chased-dangerou...

Scary.  I wonder what that girl's average pace was while being chased.  Bet she PR'd for two miles.

Last year I was doing a trail tri (after work series so they're short) and it's at a membership only recreation area. They have bears there and they know it and the bears leave the people alone etc so it's fine. I saw him on one of my runs once. Yeah you can see my pace SPIKE on my garmin data That guy was no further than 5 feet from me just walking in the opposite direction on the side of the trail.

Wow, that's a heck of a way to get your HR up!!  Glad the runners were both unharmed.

Eeeek.

I've run across feral hogs probably four or five times while running from work since moving (an unexpected "training benefit" of moving to TX).  Had me thinking about taking my bear gun with me on runs!  Probably more than I'd want (or need) for a run or a small hog, though...  Those things can be nasty if you surprise them, but they don't bother me much on a run.

Bears, however, are one of the few animals that really wig me out when I'm in close proximity to them.  Having seen a grizzzzzz run across a meadow a bit less than a mile away up in Montana - and do so WAY faster than I could sprint... even on a bike - leaves an impression!

Can't imagine a "running of the bears" would have become as popular as the bull version of that event. 

Matt

2015-05-07 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Oh no - so sorry for your friend and her family.  Sending positive thoughts/vibes her way (and yours, too).

Matt

2015-05-07 1:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

FWIW, the first time I ran Myrtle Beach, my chip didn't work.  It was on the bib and I think something about my race belt was blocking it (it had a little pouch which I wasn't using anyway).  They had video at each timing mat and I was on that.  I had a GPS track to show them.  I was in a zillion photos from the course photographer.  They investigated and gave me a time.

In the 5k I ran a few weeks ago, my chip did not work so I was not given a result AND the professional photographers missed me finishing.  Good thing it wasn't a BQ attempt or I'd have gone crazy. 

2015-05-07 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In the 5k I ran a few weeks ago, my chip did not work so I was not given a result AND the professional photographers missed me finishing.  Good thing it wasn't a BQ attempt or I'd have gone crazy. 

I know!  Then all of the LetsRun folks would be all NancySteve is a Cheater! 

2015-05-07 1:27 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Have you kids heard about our bear? It's making national news!! http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/connecticut-runners-chased-dangerou...

Scary.  I wonder what that girl's average pace was while being chased.  Bet she PR'd for two miles.

Last year I was doing a trail tri (after work series so they're short) and it's at a membership only recreation area. They have bears there and they know it and the bears leave the people alone etc so it's fine. I saw him on one of my runs once. Yeah you can see my pace SPIKE on my garmin data That guy was no further than 5 feet from me just walking in the opposite direction on the side of the trail.

Wow, that's a heck of a way to get your HR up!!  Glad the runners were both unharmed.

Eeeek.

I've run across feral hogs probably four or five times while running from work since moving (an unexpected "training benefit" of moving to TX).  Had me thinking about taking my bear gun with me on runs!  Probably more than I'd want (or need) for a run or a small hog, though...  Those things can be nasty if you surprise them, but they don't bother me much on a run.

Bears, however, are one of the few animals that really wig me out when I'm in close proximity to them.  Having seen a grizzzzzz run across a meadow a bit less than a mile away up in Montana - and do so WAY faster than I could sprint... even on a bike - leaves an impression!

Can't imagine a "running of the bears" would have become as popular as the bull version of that event. 

Matt

Once again my mind went immediately off, this time to an ad compaign I remembered (I'm dating myself) of the running of the beers.

2015-05-07 1:37 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Good thoughts to your friend, her family, and you
2015-05-07 1:53 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

/Rant

No, at times it doesn't.  "Youth is wasted on the young." - somebody, I don't remember who

At least she didn't tell you to stop kayaking or biking or some of your other fave activities, then you should be looking for another doc!

Edited by melbo55 2015-05-07 1:54 PM
2015-05-07 1:59 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

(((BIG hugs))) for your friend, her family and you.  Wishing her the very best.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29495 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69156 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57538 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.