BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-06-13 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Oh no! You're lucky you didn't kill the cat--some people meds are fatal for them.

Tomoko and Smudgee are like twins--they're fine if they're both curled up together sleeping, but then if one (almost always Tomoko, unless we're on the interstate, in which case Smudgee) wakes up and wails, the other immediately joins in in sympathy and they feed off each other's panic at ever-increasing volumes until they wear themselves out. Tomoko without Smudgee is unbearable. She is part Siamese and has the high-strung temperament and piercing yowl to match. I was close to throwing her out the window on Snoqualamie Pass en route to Boise. Non-stop screaming as I tried to make my way over the pass early AM, driving a rental U-haul (had never driven a truck in my life; the fact I was driving one had to do with the Plan B situation) when it was both foggy and snowing. She screamed the entire way to Boise and has been pretty quiet ever since, except for our subsequent move back to Oregon.

On our way to Boise I got to drive the car with what we call the "two-headed cat" (Smudgee and Tomoko) so got to deal with the screaming (led by Smudgee all the way to the Baker City turnoff, then Tomoko whenever she decided to wake up after that). Mom got off easy with Shelby. The latter is completely people-oriented and basically fearless. If her people are cool with the people or situation, then Shelby's cool, too. I'm sure if you asked her she'd say that trip was one of the highlights of her feline life, especially greeting her admirers in front of a coffee shop in Sisters (Eastern Oregon).

Our Chinese cat, Xiaoxue, was the same way. We actually drove with her out of the carrier--she was smart enough to know not to jump out or go where she shouldn't, like under the accelerator. (Block the back of the driver's seat.) Most of the time she was walking around on the luggage in the back, looking out the window. We did have an issue at the US border--we had all the documentation to show, but the cat herself was sound asleep under the passenger seat and pretty much impossible to extricate without us getting out. Mom sized up the situation, moved a few duffel bags to temporarily lock her in there, and we never declared her. They didn't ask about pets, only about animal products and meat. "No, no animal products or meat," I said, and drove her on in. My CAT was an illegal immigrant. She has now passed on so is safe from the ICE, I guess.

As for flying with cats, catnip toys are helpful. And a couple of familiar, soft, expendable blankies to curl up in/on.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-06-13 10:57 AM

2020-06-14 5:16 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Mom has driven a kitty across the country during a move, and I've taken two kitties from Vietnam to Boise (by plane and truck) and then three kitties from Boise to Eugene (in two days of driving). Plus one from China to Eugene via Canada with a lot of driving. A lot depends on the cat. Best bet is to get him/her used to things like the carrying case and riding in the car well before the actual move. Especially if the cat associates getting into the crate only with nasty thins like going to the vet or kennel. Have it lying around as a "cave" with blankets and toys so they get comfortable with it; if you're planning to drive where you're going then take them along on some drives, too (but don't leave them in the car in summer!). It helps to have a bigger crate than they need so you can put a mini litter pan in there. Otherwise they'll try to "hold it" until they can't anymore. Plus small dishes of food and water. You can get ones that attach to the door or cage slats so you don't need to open the door to feed or add water--safer if they need a resupply and you don't want them to get out.

Some cats are good in cars/strange places and some aren't. It's like people. We have three and they are really different. Shelby loves the car, loves it when we stop places and she can meet new people, Smudgee is a little hesitant and anxious as long as he's with his buddy, Tomoko has a nervous breakdown. (If it's cool, we've learned to leave the latter two, who are a "bonded pair" in the car to comfort each other while Shelby holds court from her carrier on an outdoor table.) If you have two cats who can comfort each other, you could try putting them together in an extra-big crate, or at least have them facing each other. This is the ONLY way to achieve sanity with Smudgee and Tomoko (the latter will just scream non-stop otherwise). Smudgee for some reason is fine with the backroads of but gets panicky on the interstate (yowwwllll....) so we took the roadless traveled here.

Motel 6 has nice, clean pet-friendly rooms (you have to request them at booking) and a liberal pet policy (I think 2 per room). We got two rooms and didn't try to cheat on that because of our feline dynamics. It might be possible, though. Rooms with no carpets are best! Bring some familiar stuff--bedding, food bowls, etc. so they feel safer. I think Shelby thought the Redmond, Oregon Motel 6 was the greatest place on Earth. Smudgee spent most of the time under the bed, and Tomoko never got out of her carrier except (maybe) to use the facilities. Don't ever leave pets unsupervised in a hotel room--you just don't know who's going to come in and out, and how safety-conscious they are. I would not let them outside away from home--too easy to get lost.

One last thing--have some back-up plans. As in knowing where to find a vet, and an emergency vet or boarding facility, near the places you are staying. Being prepared if the place you'd thought took pets doesn't, etc. Sh... happens. Particularly on my way back from Vietnam, it did, and we had to go to some serious Plan B.

Hope this is useful!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! this is great information! After reading about Smudgee and Tomoko comforting each other, I'm thinking that Ollie and Latte (they are really bonded) might be able to ride together in an extra large carrier, and BeeBee would have her own princess quarters. I wondered about motels, this would probably be a 2-day trip, so good to know that Motel 6 has pet friendly policies. I'll start looking around for a vet in that area, just in case.
2020-06-14 5:17 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by abake Bee stings? Snow? Temps in the 50s? 2020 is throwing everything she has at us! Central Illinois had high (30-45 mph) winds yesterday with some rain. I worked in the office in the morning and felt a bit unsafe driving out on the open roads (I drive a minivan so somewhat high profile vehicle).
Ahhh... I didn't realize we are sharing a state together I live between Chicago and Wisconsin. We got very strong winds last night, it made my window fell. I drove last night too, in a minivan, and felt the wind moving the car. It was scary...
Yes, fellow Illinoisian (spelling?) here! Once that scary wind stuff moved through, the weather has been absolutely beautiful! Speaking of Manatee Geography, I know there are some Florida Manatees here --- DH and I will be spending the month of January in Madeira Beach, maybe we can meet up for a bike ride or even a swim if I can manage to get back in the pool. My swim skillz are rusty

Retirement plans?! How exciting!

Yes, these darned Illinois winters just seem to get longer and colder every year. THis is a bit of an experiment for us --- hopefully the condo doesn't feel too small. It will also be interesting as I will be taking all 3 kitties with us. If anyone here has done cross country traveling with cats, I'd love to hear your stories, good or otherwise.

I had a cat when I moved to Atlanta from Michigan and she HATED riding in the car. The vet gave me happy pills for her, because 12 hours in the car with her would have been horrible. She would get so worked driving that it upset her stomach, and cat gas may be one of the worst smells possible. We made it as far as Kentucky when she started to wake up. We stopped to take a break, give her some water and let her go to the restroom. When our stop was over, I gave her another happy pill as directed. As we drove off, she started getting angrier and angrier. She was making an ungodly screeching noise along with cat gas. It started a conversation about the happy pills and why they stopped working. My wife pulled out the packet and asked if that was what I gave her and I told her yes. Turns out it was my wife's antihistamine! The pills looked almost alike and had a similar package. So now we had an angry, jittery, gassy cat, but her breathing could not have been better. I promptly stopped gave her the correct pill, and she fell back asleep.

Oh wow, that sounds awful. I'm glad the cat came out of it alright!
2020-06-14 11:20 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerMom has driven a kitty across the country during a move, and I've taken two kitties from Vietnam to Boise (by plane and truck) and then three kitties from Boise to Eugene (in two days of driving). Plus one from China to Eugene via Canada with a lot of driving. A lot depends on the cat. Best bet is to get him/her used to things like the carrying case and riding in the car well before the actual move. Especially if the cat associates getting into the crate only with nasty thins like going to the vet or kennel. Have it lying around as a "cave" with blankets and toys so they get comfortable with it; if you're planning to drive where you're going then take them along on some drives, too (but don't leave them in the car in summer!). It helps to have a bigger crate than they need so you can put a mini litter pan in there. Otherwise they'll try to "hold it" until they can't anymore. Plus small dishes of food and water. You can get ones that attach to the door or cage slats so you don't need to open the door to feed or add water--safer if they need a resupply and you don't want them to get out.Some cats are good in cars/strange places and some aren't. It's like people. We have three and they are really different. Shelby loves the car, loves it when we stop places and she can meet new people, Smudgee is a little hesitant and anxious as long as he's with his buddy, Tomoko has a nervous breakdown. (If it's cool, we've learned to leave the latter two, who are a "bonded pair" in the car to comfort each other while Shelby holds court from her carrier on an outdoor table.) If you have two cats who can comfort each other, you could try putting them together in an extra-big crate, or at least have them facing each other. This is the ONLY way to achieve sanity with Smudgee and Tomoko (the latter will just scream non-stop otherwise). Smudgee for some reason is fine with the backroads of but gets panicky on the interstate (yowwwllll....) so we took the roadless traveled here. Motel 6 has nice, clean pet-friendly rooms (you have to request them at booking) and a liberal pet policy (I think 2 per room). We got two rooms and didn't try to cheat on that because of our feline dynamics. It might be possible, though. Rooms with no carpets are best! Bring some familiar stuff--bedding, food bowls, etc. so they feel safer. I think Shelby thought the Redmond, Oregon Motel 6 was the greatest place on Earth. Smudgee spent most of the time under the bed, and Tomoko never got out of her carrier except (maybe) to use the facilities. Don't ever leave pets unsupervised in a hotel room--you just don't know who's going to come in and out, and how safety-conscious they are. I would not let them outside away from home--too easy to get lost.One last thing--have some back-up plans. As in knowing where to find a vet, and an emergency vet or boarding facility, near the places you are staying. Being prepared if the place you'd thought took pets doesn't, etc. Sh... happens. Particularly on my way back from Vietnam, it did, and we had to go to some serious Plan B.Hope this is useful!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! this is great information! After reading about Smudgee and Tomoko comforting each other, I'm thinking that Ollie and Latte (they are really bonded) might be able to ride together in an extra large carrier, and BeeBee would have her own princess quarters. I wondered about motels, this would probably be a 2-day trip, so good to know that Motel 6 has pet friendly policies. I'll start looking around for a vet in that area, just in case.
i can't add anything except. I get the carrier out a looooooong time before the trip. I put food, treats, comfy bedding in it. It gets them used to it.
2020-06-14 6:08 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

I used to take my cats back and forth when I was in college. Fortissimo would watch out the window and make other drivers do double takes. Pipsqueak the Siamese would howl the entire way in the cat carrier.

On one election day, my cats had been at home in Denver for some reason with my mom. I went down to vote and get my cats. On the way to Denver I was pulled over 3 times because I didn't have a front license plate, which is required here in CO. On the way back, with my cats, I got pulled over 2 more times for the exact same thing. It was so ridiculous it was funny.

On the way back to Greeley I had the cats. I only rolled down the window a few inches but both times the officer heard what I was dealing with. The both apologized for delaying my return to school. One asked if I needed help putting the plate on the bumper. I explained that I had to take the car to the dealer and they had to remove the bumper to put the plate on (bad planning on the car makers end). He also asked if I wanted a spare pair of ear plugs he had in his car.

With Caesar I know he will get so worked up in the 15 minute drive to the vet and will have an accident. I put a puppy pad in the cat carrier to make clean-up easier.

Good luck!
2020-06-14 9:32 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Siamese and cars really don't seem to mix too well! We did have one that managed it (the one that Mom drove across the country when she and Dad moved out to Oregon from Ohio) but he was half Manx and definitely got his easygoing "personality" from that side. She had him out of the carrier most of the time and only put him in when she had to get out of the car or open the door. If you do choose to drive with the cat out of the carrier, you really need to put Kitty back before opening any door or even window--when I was a kid, we came very close to losing a cat at a gas station! Personally I would not drive again with a cat running loose in the car, and have never done it driving solo. I think it puts the cat (and perhaps the driver) in danger if you have an accident, have to come to a sudden stop, or get stopped by the cops and unexpectedly have to open a window or door. Or if you arrive at the Canadian border much quicker than expected and run out of time/space to put the cat back in the "bag" without looking like you are up to no good....Of course it was the only time we have ever crossed that there weren't epic lines at the Peace Arch!

I would second---definitely put in puppy pads, if you can't fit a small cat box in the carrier. Just put in a minimum of food and water, to minimize how much they have to "go" and the chances for stress-related car sickness (which is Smudgee's specialty). You can always refill the water if they look thirsty, or pass back a few kitty treats to stave off hunger.

2020-06-15 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Another Monday, another meetup opportunity!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

2020-06-15 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I watched the Lance Armstrong 30 for 30 (ESPN) documentary this weekend -- both parts 1 and 2.It was really well done and if you have a few hours, I'd recommend it.  And wow, Lance is the sh*t that we thought he was -- screwing over Frankie and Betsy Andreu (we're looking for a new broadcaster, would Frankie be a good fit? Well...."), Greg LeMond (caused Trek to drop his bike brand), turning in Tyler Hamilton, mistreating Emma O’Reily, Filippo Simeoni, etc.

It was really interesting to see some of the older TdF bikes Wow, are our tires ever wider now!  And it was so odd to see people riding without helmets!

2020-06-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Probably will pass today. Our pool is re-opening next week and online signup starts at 9. Afraid I'll forget and get on late. (Right now it's the only pool available in town so guessing sign-up's going to be like one of the popular IM races!)
2020-06-15 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Probably will pass today. Our pool is re-opening next week and online signup starts at 9. Afraid I'll forget and get on late. (Right now it's the only pool available in town so guessing sign-up's going to be like one of the popular IM races!)

Good luck securing a spot!

2020-06-15 10:51 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
I was late for today's gathering, sorry about that. I hope all is well with everyone. Back to work for me.

2020-06-15 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No go....I was on at 9 AM, found six spots for the next two weeks even though they were closing as I signed up. Had to go through a rather convoluted waiver-signing process and enter credit card info. When I tried to check out around 9:10, it said that all my spots were cancelled as "hold expired". I went back and just signed up for ANY open spot, but that was exactly one 30 possible times with 18 spots each. Waiting list for all others. So I can swim once before July 4. And my credit card has been charged for the six spots I signed up for. And I am unable to get a human being on the phone at the pool, or Parks and Rec office. Only recorded message, then it hangs up. Awesome. Can you say....scam? About to try to stop payment.
2020-06-15 12:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66 I was late for today's gathering, sorry about that. I hope all is well with everyone. Back to work for me.

Marysia and I chatted for about 15 minutes.

Are people still interested in these Zoom meetups?

2020-06-15 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner No go....I was on at 9 AM, found six spots for the next two weeks even though they were closing as I signed up. Had to go through a rather convoluted waiver-signing process and enter credit card info. When I tried to check out around 9:10, it said that all my spots were cancelled as "hold expired". I went back and just signed up for ANY open spot, but that was exactly one 30 possible times with 18 spots each. Waiting list for all others. So I can swim once before July 4. And my credit card has been charged for the six spots I signed up for. And I am unable to get a human being on the phone at the pool, or Parks and Rec office. Only recorded message, then it hangs up. Awesome. Can you say....scam? About to try to stop payment.

Ugh! How frustrating!

2020-06-15 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66 I was late for today's gathering, sorry about that. I hope all is well with everyone. Back to work for me.

Now that i'm back in the office full time i don't know how often i'll be able to do these meet-ups.

2020-06-15 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I went to the rec office and found out their system crashed in the first few minutes. So now some poor tech person is going to spend probably the next week trying to sort out registrations and attempted registrations manually. That is, after they finish sorting out the mess from yesterday, when over 13,000 people tried to sign up for about 400 slots for some summer rec classes.

I may never swim again at this rate. My only consolation is that I'm not the tech person who has to sort all this out!

2020-06-15 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Got my $60 back but I am only registered for one swim in the next three weeks. Oh well. Not sure how I could do any better. I was on the site at 9 and going as fast as I could. I guess our Internet is just too slow.
2020-06-16 5:00 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Oh no! You're lucky you didn't kill the cat--some people meds are fatal for them.

Tomoko and Smudgee are like twins--they're fine if they're both curled up together sleeping, but then if one (almost always Tomoko, unless we're on the interstate, in which case Smudgee) wakes up and wails, the other immediately joins in in sympathy and they feed off each other's panic at ever-increasing volumes until they wear themselves out. Tomoko without Smudgee is unbearable. She is part Siamese and has the high-strung temperament and piercing yowl to match. I was close to throwing her out the window on Snoqualamie Pass en route to Boise. Non-stop screaming as I tried to make my way over the pass early AM, driving a rental U-haul (had never driven a truck in my life; the fact I was driving one had to do with the Plan B situation) when it was both foggy and snowing. She screamed the entire way to Boise and has been pretty quiet ever since, except for our subsequent move back to Oregon.

On our way to Boise I got to drive the car with what we call the "two-headed cat" (Smudgee and Tomoko) so got to deal with the screaming (led by Smudgee all the way to the Baker City turnoff, then Tomoko whenever she decided to wake up after that). Mom got off easy with Shelby. The latter is completely people-oriented and basically fearless. If her people are cool with the people or situation, then Shelby's cool, too. I'm sure if you asked her she'd say that trip was one of the highlights of her feline life, especially greeting her admirers in front of a coffee shop in Sisters (Eastern Oregon).

Our Chinese cat, Xiaoxue, was the same way. We actually drove with her out of the carrier--she was smart enough to know not to jump out or go where she shouldn't, like under the accelerator. (Block the back of the driver's seat.) Most of the time she was walking around on the luggage in the back, looking out the window. We did have an issue at the US border--we had all the documentation to show, but the cat herself was sound asleep under the passenger seat and pretty much impossible to extricate without us getting out. Mom sized up the situation, moved a few duffel bags to temporarily lock her in there, and we never declared her. They didn't ask about pets, only about animal products and meat. "No, no animal products or meat," I said, and drove her on in. My CAT was an illegal immigrant. She has now passed on so is safe from the ICE, I guess.

As for flying with cats, catnip toys are helpful. And a couple of familiar, soft, expendable blankies to curl up in/on.

OMG these are great stories
2020-06-16 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

More gravel talk

I know that I need to address the gearing on my Cx bike to make it more usable. If I am still enjoying gravel riding, I may consider replacing the Cx bike with a gravel bike but not immediately -- maybe a year out?

So, assuming that I can get the gearing taken care of, my next question involves tires.  How wide, what pressure, what tread pattern is appropriate for the forest roads that I encounter in NC?

I currently have 35s on my cross bike and I think that I can go wider. The tires that I are Kenda Kwick Cx tires (appear to be these ones)

I read this article about Ted King's recommendations but I'm no Ted King-like rider so I thought that I'd ask ;-)

2020-06-16 11:24 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Well...I probably should have got a gravel bike so I could join in on the Gravel Talk but I got a Blue Triad SL TT bike over the weekend instead. 

It is going to go great with my "Blue Boy" theme, but that is not the reason it got it. 

I got a bike fit for my birthday present about a year after I started doing triathlons to search for a bike that was fit to me rather than continuing to try to fit to my bike.  The bike fitter told me I needed a bike with a minimum stack of 553mm and a maximum reach of 437mm.  I went through a geometry database with over 60 tribikes and only about 6 bikes fit the criterion.  I looked them all up to see what they were and liked the Blue Triad the best but searched the used bike ads for several weeks and three of the other bikes were available in my price range.  I went back to the fitter and asked which of the three that were available would be best for me and he said that a Front Center distance of 600-620mm would be the most stable.  The Blue Triad was the only bike left on the list when that criterion was added.  I ended up getting one of the three that was available but always have had the Blue Triad in the back of my mind as my ideal bike. 

I saw someone post a Blue Triad SL (red) in a local Triathlon Club page for about half what the bike value guides were putting it at (and $8,200 under MSRP).  I looked into it more as a wish than something that I was going to get but found that it only had 1,300 miles on it and was very well maintained. 

Unfortunately, the Blue Triad SL (red) did not have the same geometry as whatever year/model of the Blue Triad I had in the bike geometry database that I went through 4 years ago.  It would not have even made the cut for the final 6, but it was such a good deal I decided to get it anyways and see how close I could get it adjusted to where it needs to be.  Everything is now in place except for the saddle-drop.  It currently has a saddle-drop of 120mm from the top of the center of the saddle to the top of the center of the elbow pads and I can't add any more stem spacers.  I ride with 85mm saddle-drop so I am way off.  After riding in the higher position for 4 years the bike definitely feels off with the addition drop to the aero bars.   I saw a rule of thumb that 120mm was a typical drop for many triathletes and that 150mm was really aggressive for many triathletes.  I have always thought that the bike fitter put me at a much more relaxed position that what I could ride at so I may try riding at the 120mm drop and see if it works for me.  I don't think I will be riding the Blue Triad SL at the Duathlon I am racing in this Saturday but will start training with it after the race and see how things go in the more aggressive position.

2020-06-16 12:35 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Well...I probably should have got a gravel bike so I could join in on the Gravel Talk but I got a Blue Triad SL TT bike over the weekend instead. 

It is going to go great with my "Blue Boy" theme, but that is not the reason it got it. 

I got a bike fit for my birthday present about a year after I started doing triathlons to search for a bike that was fit to me rather than continuing to try to fit to my bike.  The bike fitter told me I needed a bike with a minimum stack of 553mm and a maximum reach of 437mm.  I went through a geometry database with over 60 tribikes and only about 6 bikes fit the criterion.  I looked them all up to see what they were and liked the Blue Triad the best but searched the used bike ads for several weeks and three of the other bikes were available in my price range.  I went back to the fitter and asked which of the three that were available would be best for me and he said that a Front Center distance of 600-620mm would be the most stable.  The Blue Triad was the only bike left on the list when that criterion was added.  I ended up getting one of the three that was available but always have had the Blue Triad in the back of my mind as my ideal bike. 

I saw someone post a Blue Triad SL (red) in a local Triathlon Club page for about half what the bike value guides were putting it at (and $8,200 under MSRP).  I looked into it more as a wish than something that I was going to get but found that it only had 1,300 miles on it and was very well maintained. 

Unfortunately, the Blue Triad SL (red) did not have the same geometry as whatever year/model of the Blue Triad I had in the bike geometry database that I went through 4 years ago.  It would not have even made the cut for the final 6, but it was such a good deal I decided to get it anyways and see how close I could get it adjusted to where it needs to be.  Everything is now in place except for the saddle-drop.  It currently has a saddle-drop of 120mm from the top of the center of the saddle to the top of the center of the elbow pads and I can't add any more stem spacers.  I ride with 85mm saddle-drop so I am way off.  After riding in the higher position for 4 years the bike definitely feels off with the addition drop to the aero bars.   I saw a rule of thumb that 120mm was a typical drop for many triathletes and that 150mm was really aggressive for many triathletes.  I have always thought that the bike fitter put me at a much more relaxed position that what I could ride at so I may try riding at the 120mm drop and see if it works for me.  I don't think I will be riding the Blue Triad SL at the Duathlon I am racing in this Saturday but will start training with it after the race and see how things go in the more aggressive position.

Very nice! Hopefully you can find the sweet spot in terms of fitting. Enjoy it!

2020-06-16 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I am not available the next couple of weeks. Hopefully, some portions of life return to normal after that.

2020-06-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

I got my first pair of Asics Gel Nimbus in the mail today in size 10 wide. The 9.5 should be here in the next couple days. I'm not really sure why REI didn't just send them as one package. But so far, these size 10 wide feel AMAZING in terms of length/width. Unless the 9.5's really convince me they are a better length, I think the 10's are a keeper.
2020-06-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri I got my first pair of Asics Gel Nimbus in the mail today in size 10 wide. The 9.5 should be here in the next couple days. I'm not really sure why REI didn't just send them as one package. But so far, these size 10 wide feel AMAZING in terms of length/width. Unless the 9.5's really convince me they are a better length, I think the 10's are a keeper.

Nice! I hope that they continue to work for you.

REI is not good at shipping, that's for sure. We placed an order for three things and they came in three boxes over a one week timespan. One box had like four Clif Shot Bloks in it. It was sad. And wasteful.

2020-06-16 1:30 PM

Originally posted by alaskatri I got my first pair of Asics Gel Nimbus in the mail today in size 10 wide. The 9.5 should be here in the next couple days. I'm not really sure why REI didn't just send them as one package. But so far, these size 10 wide feel AMAZING in terms of length/width. Unless the 9.5's really convince me they are a better length, I think the 10's are a keeper.

Nice! I hope that they continue to work for you.

REI is not good at shipping, that's for sure. We placed an order for three things and they came in three boxes over a one week timespan. One box had like four Clif Shot Bloks in it. It was sad. And wasteful.

This was just a shoebox put into a priority shipping bag, so I'm not sure the could've done one shipment. And maybe they're coming from different facilities, I'm not sure. The only other thing I've ordered for shipping from them was my Wahoo trainer. Otherwise, I've always just gone to the store. But that's a few hours away now. I was impressed they got here in 4 days from when I ordered. I've ordered some things from Amazon recently that take a month plus to come.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127