BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-18 12:50 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey folks, my younger sister could use any prayers from those that are willing. She is fighting depression (among other things) and her doc has upped her meds. I'm not sure it has helped yet though, so any thoughts or prayers would be very welcome. My younger sis is not the one I occasionally run with, that is my older sis (in my avi).

Thanks all.

Thinking of your sis! As one who has dealt with this personally and watched friends and family go through it, I know it's very tough.

Maybe you can get her into running, too? 

Running perhaps saved my life. 

2014-03-18 12:53 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I'm back, btw. And alive. It was a great trip but I am exhausted. Marathon training + 10-14 hours on my feet makes me quite tired. I did a little write-up in my blog if anyone is interested in new music.

2014-03-18 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

We're glad you're back safe and sound and that you had a good time. We got a bit nervous when we heard about the car that crashed in to the pedestrian crowd

2014-03-18 12:57 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

We're glad you're back safe and sound and that you had a good time. We got a bit nervous when we heard about the car that crashed in to the pedestrian crowd

Eeeks. I know. We had been in that area not too much earlier! Scary stuff. Don't drink and drive. 

2014-03-18 1:27 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
My little race report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... sorry, I don't know how to do the fancy shortening/renaming of a link like you smart people!)
2014-03-18 1:40 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Alright. I just have to share a slight dilemma. I think I have already made a decision but I would like to run it past people who are smarter than I.

There are two races and I have to pick just one. The options are the White Center 5K and the Spring Fling 5K

White Center: this weekend.

Pros: Small race a few blocks from my house.  I won this thing overall (men and women) last year so it's kind of a fun idea to defend my title. I already paid for it.

Cons: no competition to push me, bad timing in my marathon training (would miss a key M workout. Not that  race doesn't provide any stimulus but it's a little less specific)

Spring Fling: following weekend

Pros: VERY competitive. I have the opportunity to qualify for both 5K and 10K (with a 5K time) for Track and Field Club nationals. Only a few miles from my house. My club will pay my entry. Fits better with marathon training schedule.

Cons: It's on the track instead of road so, a little less marathon specific. I will likely get DFL. I don't run with a hell of a lot of ego and I MUCH prefer to run with stiff competition but a DFL right before an A race might be mentally tough? I'm not sure. It's the morning of my good friends wedding (which I am in) so it will be a mad dash from the track to get my hair did. 

2014-03-18 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. My younger sis suffers from, in no particular order, depression, lupus, arthritis and is mentally and emotionally challenged as well. Every morning starts with a cocktail of meds. I am amazed at times that she is still with us. Whenever I ever start to think about how tough my life may be, well, I am easily reminded that my life is a walk in the park compared to others I know. 

Salty, I would go with White Center, but flip your con into a pro. Not many others to race gives you a perfect opportunity to work on your race. No other distractions, just you and the course. And a happy feeling at the end that you did what you needed to do to keep on pace for your final goal.

And enjoy the wedding!

2014-03-18 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Alright. I just have to share a slight dilemma. I think I have already made a decision but I would like to run it past people who are smarter than I.

There are two races and I have to pick just one. The options are the White Center 5K and the Spring Fling 5K

Pros: Small race a few blocks from my house.  I won this thing overall (men and women) last year so it's kind of a fun idea to defend my title. I already paid for it.

Cons: no competition to push me, bad timing in my marathon training (would miss a key M workout. Not that  race doesn't provide any stimulus but it's a little less specific)

Pros: VERY competitive. I have the opportunity to qualify for both 5K and 10K (with a 5K time) for Track and Field Club nationals. Only a few miles from my house. My club will pay my entry. Fits better with marathon training schedule.

Cons: It's on the track instead of road so, a little less marathon specific. I will likely get DFL. I don't run with a hell of a lot of ego and I MUCH prefer to run with stiff competition but a DFL right before an A race might be mentally tough? I'm not sure. It's the morning of my good friends wedding (which I am in) so it will be a mad dash from the track to get my hair did. 

I am certainly not smarter than you... but... my vote is White Center. You don't know who will show up. Maybe a dude will try for your title?! Spring Fling would be good insofar as it fits in to your training but rushing around the morning of an important wedding is no bueno. AND DFL, even against crazy competition is no bueno. AND 5k on a track?! That's right... no bueno.

2014-03-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Happy Birthday Monica:

I may go here on Friday to celebrate!!!!

2014-03-18 4:06 PM

User image

Master

Ooooooh! Hello to all the new manatee avis. I think they should be known as manavies.

Looks like good racing last weekend. I need to read some RRs

Happy Belated Bday, Melanie!

Happy On Time Bday, Monica!

Kirsten, stop jumping onto cars  Glad you're okay.

Chris, prayers for your sis.

Kate, what would Yanti have done if your bib read "Kate G*%$k0"?  hehehe

Pedal Opinion: I like my Forte Team pedals with Look Keos.  At my level I need some room for error and a larger platform gives me that. Also, I read that Forte has a little more float than the average and that many beginners/people with knee issues prefer to use them. I seem to do well with them.

In SAHM news...it's T's Spring Break, and I'm at the Little League complex for two hours every morning while he has baseball camp. Friends from Kansas are in the area, so we may be meeting up for dinner tonight. Chevy Avalanche is waiting for us to pick it up in SoCal sometime this week. All of this equals a very messed up routine which I had just gotten back into.

2014-03-18 4:08 PM

User image

Master

Happy Birthday Monica:

I may go here on Friday to celebrate!!!!

Cruel. Just cruel.

2014-03-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

From the latest emails I received from both my nephew and brother it looks like my mother's time is very limited......I may be traveling up again this week anticipating her to pass by the end of next week.....At a loss to say anything else.  Just needed to say it here cause it's a safe place ....

cancer sucks

2014-03-18 4:23 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by QueenZipp

From the latest emails I received from both my nephew and brother it looks like my mother's time is very limited......I may be traveling up again this week anticipating her to pass by the end of next week.....At a loss to say anything else.  Just needed to say it here cause it's a safe place ....

cancer sucks

Prayers for you and yours Judi. So sorry for your challenges.

2014-03-18 4:51 PM

User image

Master

Hey folks, my younger sister could use any prayers from those that are willing. She is fighting depression (among other things) and her doc has upped her meds. I'm not sure it has helped yet though, so any thoughts or prayers would be very welcome. My younger sis is not the one I occasionally run with, that is my older sis (in my avi).

Thanks all.

Depression sucks!  Prayers on the way.  

2014-03-18 4:52 PM

User image

Master

cancer sucks

.  So sorry, Judi.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  Hugs.

2014-03-18 4:55 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master

Happy Birthday Monica!

Salty, that is a dilemma.  I think I agree, the DFL might not be the best thing for your psyche.  Go defend your title

2014-03-18 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

cancer sucks

Cancer does suck!  I'm very sorry you and your family are going through this.  You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

2014-03-18 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

cancer sucks

oh Judi my heart breaks for you and your family. Sending you a {{{{mastiff sized melon press}}}} from across the seas.
2014-03-18 10:00 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by StaceyK

cancer sucks

oh Judi my heart breaks for you and your family. Sending you a {{{{mastiff sized melon press}}}} from across the seas.
Sorry I didn't catch this Judi. I'm so sorry to hear this. Know that we are all thinking of you. Hugs!
2014-03-18 10:06 PM

User image

Seattle
Very interesting feedback y'all! I was actually thinking the opportunity to qualify for nationals + being pushed by competition + better marathon training > winning but I'm still thinking on it! I don't mind the idea of a DFL if it means running well. It's happened before!
2014-03-18 10:25 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks all.

Chris, as another Manatee who's dealt with depression, I know how hard it can be, especially when compounded by other physical issues and/or chronic pain. I'll keep your sis in my thoughts and hope that she finds a mix of meds that works. The whole trial and error aspect of mental health meds can be SO frustrating!! I'm glad she's still trying to figure out the meds instead of just giving up. And she's fortunate to have you hanging in there with her.

Hugs to you both.
m

2014-03-18 10:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

cancer sucks

Judi,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Wishing you and your family peace.

Hugs,
m
2014-03-19 6:01 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed Very interesting feedback y'all! I was actually thinking the opportunity to qualify for nationals + being pushed by competition + better marathon training > winning but I'm still thinking on it! I don't mind the idea of a DFL if it means running well. It's happened before!

I was going to suggest the trying to qualify for nationals option, but then I had to leave for a massage and forgot

2014-03-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Asalzwed Very interesting feedback y'all! I was actually thinking the opportunity to qualify for nationals + being pushed by competition + better marathon training > winning but I'm still thinking on it! I don't mind the idea of a DFL if it means running well. It's happened before!

I was going to suggest the trying to qualify for nationals option, but then I had to leave for a massage and forgot

glad to see you have your priorities straight Anne-Marie
2014-03-19 8:14 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

What is your intention with racing either of these at all? Do you need to have a race in here, or more really want to do one? Not sure if either one sounds that great. I'd look more towards how well it fit into the training schedule. If it's not perfect, is it still close enough if you thought of it as just another workout. If something didn't fit very well, it wouldn't get any consideration. On the faster race, would it still be with a few people, or likely off the back the entire time? Do you trust yourself to shut it down if keeping up becomes too much part-way through?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25647 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38254 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18124 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.