BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-07 10:04 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by laffinrock

I just found out that my friend has oral cancer and is having surgery tomorrow.  She said it doesn't seem to have spread to her lymph nodes but they won't know the extent of it until after tomorrow's surgery.  She has a 6 year-old son and her husband had surgery to repair a broken tibia two weeks ago so she's already coping with a lot.  I know you don't know her, but please keep her in your thoughts.  Thanks.

(((BIG hugs))) for your friend, her family and you.  Wishing her the very best.

Will do.

2015-05-07 10:10 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Over the last week I think my 310XT has been dying on me.  I've taken it pool swimming, and I've begun to notice moisture accumulating behind the screen.  After Tuesday's swim there was a lot of moisture behind the screen.  Before tonight's run, it wasn't syncing with my footpod or my HR monitor.  After the run, it's not syncing with the computer.

I just did a hard reset.  We'll see if that will fix the problems.

This stinks because I was on the edge of selling it and upgrading to a 910XT.  I might be doing that anyway now.  I checked to see how much Garmin charges to service the watch, and it's $100.  So, not worth my trouble, because the watch is worth about that, or not much more.

Rats.

2015-05-08 9:42 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015-05-08 9:45 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally!!  We have a rainy/snowy weekend on tap here.  Guess I'll be swimming and riding the drainer.

2015-05-08 9:45 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Over the last week I think my 310XT has been dying on me.  I've taken it pool swimming, and I've begun to notice moisture accumulating behind the screen.  After Tuesday's swim there was a lot of moisture behind the screen.  Before tonight's run, it wasn't syncing with my footpod or my HR monitor.  After the run, it's not syncing with the computer.

This stinks because I was on the edge of selling it and upgrading to a 910XT.  I might be doing that anyway now.  I checked to see how much Garmin charges to service the watch, and it's $100.  So, not worth my trouble, because the watch is worth about that, or not much more.

Rats.

How annoying.  Out of curiosity, what have you used the 310 for in the pool?

2015-05-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Rats.

How annoying.  Out of curiosity, what have you used the 310 for in the pool?

Even though it doesn't have an indoor pool mode, I hit lap at the end of a set, and I can still figure out my averages.  So I can upload the file and see how I was doing at hitting certain paces. I can do the same-ish with my 30 or 50 lap wrist watch, but I don't get to upload it.

2015-05-08 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

City may get Ironman event - possible 70.3 in Delaware, OH.

2015-05-08 10:47 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

That's just north of Columbus.  That's certainly within my neck of the woods.  Interesting!  I wonder how that will impact the local HIMs.

2015-05-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness.  And to you and the podmates, as well!

I'm beat this week - too many concerts and fun stuff with the kids.    We saw Ed Sheeran this week (best solo performance I've ever seen - nothing but him, a guitar and a loop machine, and he had the whole place going OFF!) and three or four other shows the last couple weeks and I need some SLEEP!  Self imposed "problem," I realize. 

Snoozing - a rocking weekend plan, huh?    Even with that, it's up at 0500 tomorrow for a kids' swim meet (but they're too fun not to get excited about - especially the summer league, which is really ALL about fun).

Guess what takes a back seat to family, work and travel?  Yep, training.  Happily, Kim has made a couple suggestions on logistics that'll get me some time at least on the trainer and a run this weekend (again, you see why I call her The Better Half).  Gonna have to do something right for Mothers' Day for her!!

Matt

2015-05-08 11:06 AM

Master
Northern IL

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

That's just north of Columbus.  That's certainly within my neck of the woods.  Interesting!  I wonder how that will impact the local HIMs.

Why is the second suggestion for googling Delaware Oh "county jail"?

2015-05-08 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

Are there any hills around there or would it be pretty flat?

2015-05-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

I'm really struggling to get in 6 days of training per week like I did last year.  I'm thinking it's because I now sing in a choir that rehearses every Monday night so I don't really have a night off during the work week if my "rest day" is Monday.

Do you think it's reasonable to think I can finish a a wetsuit-legal 750 yd swim/hilly 12 mi. bike/varied-terrain 5k sprint if I do a bike-focused training plan 5 days a week?  I could do the swim and run now but the bike is going to be a real challenge.  The race is on 7/26, 11 weeks from now.

There are a couple of alternatives around the same time: YOLO, which I did last year (750m OWS, 20K rolling hills, easy 5K run), or Leadville on 7/19 (500 yd pool swim, paved/unpaved 20K bike and 5K run, no other info about bike or run, all at 10,000 ft.).

Advice please.  Thanks.

Edited by laffinrock 2015-05-08 12:29 PM
2015-05-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees

May 9-10
Melanie - Leaders on the Go Wine 5K Run/Walk on Saturday
Kate - Dirty Secret Trail Run on Saturday
TJ - ABQ Brew Dash on Saturday
Nancy - Tall Pines double dip (Olympic on Sat/Sprint on Sun)
Yanti - Vietnam 70.3 on Sunday
Tom - Springboro Sprint on Sunday
Tom - Vandalia 5K on May 13 on Wednesday
Mary -  Cross Country Clash #1 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

P.S.  I hope that I got everyone this week!

2015-05-08 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'm really struggling to get in 6 days of training per week like I did last year.  I'm thinking it's because I now sing in a choir that rehearses every Monday night so I don't really have a night off during the work week if my "rest day" is Monday.

Do you think it's reasonable to think I can finish a a wetsuit-legal 750 yd swim/hilly 12 mi. bike/varied-terrain 5k sprint if I do a bike-focused training plan 5 days a week?  I could do the swim and run now but the bike is going to be a real challenge.  The race is on 7/26, 11 weeks from now.

Sure you can do it.  How much time do you have in those other five days?  How many workouts a week do you think you can manage within that time?  If you are concerned about the bike I think I'd try to get in at least three sessions a week minimum.  Swim a couple and run at least three.  That would be three double sessions and two single sessions with two days off.

It really is tough to have to manage three different disciplines.  It just takes a lot of time to get in so many sessions in a week.  I have no down time from the time I wake til I go to sleep.  Did I mention my christmas tree is still up?  I think this is a record for me.

2015-05-08 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees

May 9-10

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

Wow, another action packed weekend!!  Please stay safe everyone and have fun.  Good luck to you all.

2015-05-08 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by popsracer

Sure you can do it.  How much time do you have in those other five days?  How many workouts a week do you think you can manage within that time?  If you are concerned about the bike I think I'd try to get in at least three sessions a week minimum.  Swim a couple and run at least three.  That would be three double sessions and two single sessions with two days off.

It really is tough to have to manage three different disciplines.  It just takes a lot of time to get in so many sessions in a week.  I have no down time from the time I wake til I go to sleep.  Did I mention my christmas tree is still up?  I think this is a record for me.

And one of those runs can/should be a brick so it's one time slot kinda.

2015-05-08 12:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

On a related note, my beloved Lake Placid, NY has a bid in to be chosen for 2017 70.3 championships!

2015-05-08 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees

May 9-10

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

GO MANATEES GO!!

It's nice to see an almost no DL list.  It's sad to see that I am the one ruining it!!

2015-05-08 12:57 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees

May 9-10

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!

Wednesday's race is going to be a tough one.  It's really hilly dirt trails and single track and a water crossing. It could be pretty muddy as well.  There are supposed to be 2 dry days before the race, but we're having a lot of precip so it remains to be seen.  What a welcome to CX!!

Hands, I hadn't heard of the TFL.  I just read symptoms of TFL Syndrome and they sound really familiar.  I should try some of those exercises to see if they help.  Hope you heal up quickly!!

2015-05-08 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees

May 9-10

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

Lots of racing going on.  Pretty awesome!  Good luck guys and gals!

Glad I was able to evade the DL.  Get better, Hands!

2015-05-08 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees

May 9-10

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!

Wednesday's race is going to be a tough one.  It's really hilly dirt trails and single track and a water crossing. It could be pretty muddy as well.  There are supposed to be 2 dry days before the race, but we're having a lot of precip so it remains to be seen.  What a welcome to CX!!

Hands, I hadn't heard of the TFL.  I just read symptoms of TFL Syndrome and they sound really familiar.  I should try some of those exercises to see if they help.  Hope you heal up quickly!!

The PT guy in the youtube video for the main exercise i'm doing calls the TFL "a tricky bastard" cuz it can be hard to isolate and stretch properly.  I think his stretch is really good as is the active release thing.  At least I felt some immediate relief yesterday after doing them.  Of course, the area had been feeling really great tuesday too - right up to the point it started to hurt like hell again! 

2015-05-08 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

Are there any hills around there or would it be pretty flat?

From a brief look on MapQuest, it looks to be pretty flat.

2015-05-08 1:32 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I hadn't been thinking of doubling up, but depending on the times/distances, I probably could (shut up legs!!).  I just looked at the BT bike-focused 16 week plan.  I could modify that to make it work.  It has 2 swims, 3 bikes, and 2 runs a week.  I'd just need to add in another run on a bike day, which would give me a brick every week.  I think I can manage that.  Thanks for the guidance.

2015-05-08 1:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

Midwestern Manatees,

Have you seen this? 

On a related note, my beloved Lake Placid, NY has a bid in to be chosen for 2017 70.3 championships!

Lake Placid would be SO COOL in 2017!!

and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

I was just noticing how entertaining some of the names of these events are

Kick a$$ everyone!
2015-05-08 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I hadn't been thinking of doubling up, but depending on the times/distances, I probably could (shut up legs!!).  I just looked at the BT bike-focused 16 week plan.  I could modify that to make it work.  It has 2 swims, 3 bikes, and 2 runs a week.  I'd just need to add in another run on a bike day, which would give me a brick every week.  I think I can manage that.  Thanks for the guidance.

DO EEEEEEEEEETTTTTT!  I agree that you should be able to be ready with a plan similar the one you're thinking of, given where you are on the swim and run.  If it gets hairy on the way there, I think you'll still be able to finish well with just modifying your ingoing expectations (and that only in the case that "life" intrudes on your plan, yeh?).

and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Quite the weekend going on.  Remember, RR or it didn't happen!!!

(and I hope the TFL - one of my favorite names to learn in med school, btw - heals up quickly)

Matt

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15885 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29105 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12294 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67797 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56434 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.