BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-08 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

I'm sorry. I got a bit behind again. The thing with coming back to work part time is I have less Manatee time!  Recovery is on track. Jeff, the PT guy, is pleased with my progrss so far.  Just not supposed to jar/jostle the shoulder too much.  Most days, I feel pretty normal until 3:30ish and then I crash pretty hard.  The good thing about working part time this week is afternoon naps.

TJ - Beautoful, beautiful baloon photos!

Kirsten - Love the tat!

Monica - House hunting can be exciting (and frustrating)

Ann-Marie - I'm with you!  The whole breathing pattern thing is too complicated for me. :-/

Mary - What's your run club coordinator say about races between now and the HM?  As Melanie and Ben (and prbably others) pointed out, these would fall somewhere between "catered training run" and "all out effort."

Salty - So glad that the nose is on the road to recovery. I hope the rest of you is as well. Have fun in Japan!

Melanie - Syracuse!!!!!!

Edited by jmkizer 2014-10-08 8:43 AM

2014-10-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Mary - What's your run club coordinator say about races between now and the HM?  As Melanie and Ben (and prbably others) pointed out, these would fall somewhere between "catered training run" and "all out effort."

Yay, Janyne!  I'm so glad your recovery is going well.  The biggest challenge I found after surgery was once I started feeling better, I wasn't sure how much would result in overdoing until I did it.  That generally started about about 6 weeks post-op.  There weren't any lasting negative effects, just some frustration when I'd feel good, overdo, then regress for a few days.  You'll figure it out though.  Keep up the good work in PT!

As for the run club coach, he still hasn't sent me a plan (grrrr!!).  I'll see him tonight, though, and will ask him his thoughts about the races between now and the HM.  As I mentioned to Ben, I have a 10k plan that I'll follow between now and a race on 11/5. I'm planning to use that as a way to establish a baseline pace from which to work.  The next few races will just be to gauge improvement and have the social aspect of a race, which I really enjoy. 

Ben, to answer your questions/comments, my logs are up to date.  I'm keeping in mind that I'm doubling the number of runs/wk and increased mileage from what I'd been doing and was wondering about that.  I won't push too hard for the first 2-3 weeks, especially the aerobic and pick-up workouts.  I'm pretty good at listening to my body, especially after all the injury issues I've had so if I find I'm struggling or hurting, I'll back off further on intensity.  I was planning to do some swimming form and hip strengthening (focused on glutes/quads/hamstring/flexors) 1x/week in a semi-coached class starting tomorrow.  Now I'm thinking that might not be a good idea and I should wait until after my 10k.  I don't want to do too much all at once and cause extra stress and pain that could set me back.

Thanks so much to all of you for your feedback.  I really appreciate the perspectives and confirmation that I'm on the right track.

2014-10-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Happy Wednesday y'all!

Janyne, thanks for the update. Glad you're doing well. Afternoon naps.... win!

2014-10-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by rrrunner

Happy Wednesday y'all!

Thank you. Wednesdays are my weekends. It can be a bit of a pain seeing all the "yay, it's Friday, let's get mullered" comments on farcebook, especially when I'm putting on my work boots and about to go out the door.
2014-10-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Happy Wednesday y'all!

Thank you. Wednesdays are my weekends. It can be a bit of a pain seeing all the "yay, it's Friday, let's get mullered" comments on farcebook, especially when I'm putting on my work boots and about to go out the door.

DS1 is off on Sunday and Tuesday so he hates that too. Speaking of DS1, he recently discovered on Netflix a Welsh mini-series, a murder mystery I think, that he is hooked on. He even tried my stove-top espresso maker because someone had used one on the show.

2014-10-08 11:00 AM

Master
Northern IL

Happy Wednesday y'all!

DS1 is off on Sunday and Tuesday so he hates that too. Speaking of DS1, he recently discovered on Netflix a Welsh mini-series, a murder mystery I think, that he is hooked on. He even tried my stove-top espresso maker because someone had used one on the show.

Southcliffe?

2014-10-08 11:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

Happy Wednesday y'all!

Southcliffe?

Hinterland I think

2014-10-08 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Happy Wednesday y'all!

Southcliffe?

Hinterland I think

That be those strange West Walians
2014-10-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Happy Wednesday y'all!

Southcliffe?

Hinterland I think

That be those strange West Walians

I think he did use the word strange  I wish the kid would go back to school. He has an amazing fascination with world cultures.

2014-10-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So some poor young kid (teenager) starts a thread in TT asking about the paleo diet and gets to watch a bunch of adults act like children fighting on the playground. Sometimes its embarrasing to be an adult.

2014-10-08 12:46 PM

User image

Denver, CO

So some poor young kid (teenager) starts a thread in TT asking about the paleo diet and gets to watch a bunch of adults act like children fighting on the playground. Sometimes its embarrasing to be an adult.

As they say, age is just a number.

ETA:  Good grief.  4 pages and 91 posts?!  He just started the thread yesterday!

Edited by laffinrock 2014-10-08 12:58 PM

2014-10-08 12:59 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

ETA:  Good grief.  4 pages and 91 posts?!  He just started the thread yesterday!

Yeah. The mature young man gleaned what he needed from the responses and even promoted civility to those who were being... less than civil.

2014-10-08 1:11 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

That is an awesome tattoo, Kirsten!!

Edited by Artemis 2014-10-08 1:11 PM
2014-10-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I can come off the disabled list.  My leg isn't completely healed, but it's definitely not infected and only has a tiny section not healed.  I have a (regular on the road) 5k on Saturday.

2014-10-08 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Artemis

I can come off the disabled list.  My leg isn't completely healed, but it's definitely not infected and only has a tiny section not healed.  I have a (regular on the road) 5k on Saturday.

Yay!!!!!!!! Glad the leg is better and that you are ready to race!

2014-10-08 2:05 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yippee!!  Now no more falling, m'kay?

2014-10-08 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Happy Wednesday everyone!

We got to have a surprise visit from the head of HR from the Atlanta office today which has made everyone just a tad on edge... myself included as the new girl who definitely isn't in love with her job!  Good thing - no call into the visitor office to "have a chat", but the bad news is that even after being brutally honest in my "new hire job satisfaction" survey, no one seems to care enough to address any of my issues.  

Oh well, as long as they keep giving me a paycheque!   

2014-10-08 3:28 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

We got to have a surprise visit from the head of HR from the Atlanta office today which has made everyone just a tad on edge... myself included as the new girl who definitely isn't in love with her job!  Good thing - no call into the visitor office to "have a chat", but the bad news is that even after being brutally honest in my "new hire job satisfaction" survey, no one seems to care enough to address any of my issues.  

Don't you just love doing surveys that end up being just a bunch of data that goes into a black hole?!  Usually the reason there's no change is that it would involve people at a a higher level buying into the fact that there's even a problem.  When it's "just" the support staff (as if paralegals weren't integral to getting things done and out the door!!) who's unhappy, well, it's clearly an individual perception, not a systemic issue.  Not that I've ever experienced anything like that or anything!

Anyway, glad you're still continuing to receive your salary.  That'll come in handy with the house buying and all.

2014-10-08 3:42 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Surprise visits are a lot of fun!  Do they pay you in Canadian dollars in you paycheque 

2014-10-08 3:43 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

YAY!!  That DL has been waaay too long.

2014-10-08 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Yeah. The mature young man gleaned what he needed from the responses and even promoted civility to those who were being... less than civil.

I just poked around in there, it was full of the usual suspects and somewhat humorous, depending on your viewpoint.  Here is the general flow of a thread like that:

• Someone asks a question.
  • All starts ok until a dissenting voice appears.
  • A few pages of fighting.
  • Interspersed there are a few people that answered the question.
  • In this case, the OP did a good job of getting what he needed and moving on.
  • The last few pages devolved into the internet forum version of 3 stooges.

It seems to be what I have found in a lot of threads in TT. Wade through the junk to find the answers to your questions. There was a thread a few months back asking how to become a faster runner.  Oh my. I went in, said my piece, and left. I hope the OP got what he needed.

I am no longer amazed at how strongly (I'm trying to be kind) people will argue their opinions on these types of things. I'm often impressed by the people that remain above the fray. The world needs more of them.

2014-10-08 7:03 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Yippee!!  Now no more falling, m'kay?

Aye aye, Captain!

2014-10-08 7:48 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

I just poked around in there, it was full of the usual suspects and somewhat humorous, depending on your viewpoint.  Here is the general flow of a thread like that:

• Someone asks a question.
  • All starts ok until a dissenting voice appears.
  • A few pages of fighting.
  • Interspersed there are a few people that answered the question.
  • In this case, the OP did a good job of getting what he needed and moving on.
  • The last few pages devolved into the internet forum version of 3 stooges.

It seems to be what I have found in a lot of threads in TT. Wade through the junk to find the answers to your questions. There was a thread a few months back asking how to become a faster runner.  Oh my. I went in, said my piece, and left. I hope the OP got what he needed.

I am no longer amazed at how strongly (I'm trying to be kind) people will argue their opinions on these types of things. I'm often impressed by the people that remain above the fray. The world needs more of them.

I saw that thread in its infancy last night. It's now 6 pages into exactly where I thought it would go...horse steaks and cannibalism.  A lot of it makes me laugh and shake my head, but really people? 

I think the theme song for such threads might be patched together like the following lyrics:

"Feelings, nothing more than feelings...

"Give a *truck* about yo feelings"

"Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it...

"Who gives a *truck*?"

"Feeling, woo-o-o feeling"

ETA: those two songs were next to each other at the top of a google search. odd or destined.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-10-08 9:25 PM
2014-10-08 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Completely unrelated to anything discussed this week:

TJ, are you uploading to Instagram right after your run? And to Strava as well? And your sure all your pw stuff is correct? I had an issue with mine early on, disconnected and reconnected and it was all good after that. Never did figure out why it didn't work at first.

2014-10-08 9:21 PM

User image

Master

Good news! You'll be able to enjoy this 5k, unlike the last race where you'd have been worried the whole time

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 44710 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38890 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74469 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51858 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 26999 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.