BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2009-12-15 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2559664

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED
trysprintolympic - 2009-12-15 11:04 AM I have nothing to add to the cassette/trainer discussions, but I am curious about rollers! I have a set but haven't had the time to try it out yet (long story short, I'm still looking for the right pedals for my new bike).

How long is it going to take to get comfortable on rollers? Will I be able to put in long rides like a trainer? Am I going to kill myself riding a tri bike on rollers when I'm really only an average cyclist??

I rode rollers for a while.  I just bought a new rear wheel mount trainer for the first time.  IMO the rollers are great for learning the feel of your bike.  It will give you a bit of a core workout and  you'll begin to understand how every movement effects your ride.  The rollers also do not provide any resistance (unless you add on a resistance unit).  SO you won't gain any significant power.  I'm all for the rollers and the mental aspect they force you to use while on them. 

The rollers took me a couple of weeks before I really got used to them.  But now I'm able to ride for longer distances and watch movies (not recommended for your first few rides).  I think my longest rides were upwards of 2h30m and 50 miles.  If you can learn the rollers and getting aero on the rollers, you'll be fine in most conditions on a real ride.

My ideal plan now is to ride the fluid trainer all of the off season/winter and then put in a few regular rides on the rollers when spring nears.

I"ll post a few videos from YouTube in another minute.

2009-12-15 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2559464

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

TriFrog93 - 2009-12-15 9:09 AM
ashort33 - 2009-12-14 10:49 PM

WOO HOO - another DFW'er!!  I live across town in Frisco!  Perhaps you can road trip down to Lonestar and do the oly at the end of April!  Lots of us MG'er will be there!  Welcome Robert!

I have thought about adding that race...I have heard it is a great weekend.  What local races do you have planned?

I will do the play tri festival in the middle of the summer - very well done race.  I will also do either the classic rock or the tri the rock out in Rockwall (Ironhead productions) to measure myself against last year.  I will probably also do the Iron brothers super sprint  (another one of Jacks' races) for the same reason, Take on the Heat in the Colony (already registered / paid up due to the pool problem last year) US Open - I owe that course some revenge....  Probably also the Stonebridge Oly in McKinney.  Also thinking about going to Augusta for another HIM with my MG peeps! 

I probably will sit down and figure it all out over the holidays....  One thing for sure - there is no shortage of races in the area!

2009-12-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2559716

User image

Master
Maryland
JHagerman - 2009-12-15 10:21 AM
trysprintolympic - 2009-12-15 11:04 AM I have nothing to add to the cassette/trainer discussions, but I am curious about rollers! I have a set but haven't had the time to try it out yet (long story short, I'm still looking for the right pedals for my new bike).

How long is it going to take to get comfortable on rollers? Will I be able to put in long rides like a trainer? Am I going to kill myself riding a tri bike on rollers when I'm really only an average cyclist??

I rode rollers for a while.  I just bought a new rear wheel mount trainer for the first time.  IMO the rollers are great for learning the feel of your bike.  It will give you a bit of a core workout and  you'll begin to understand how every movement effects your ride.  The rollers also do not provide any resistance (unless you add on a resistance unit).  SO you won't gain any significant power.  I'm all for the rollers and the mental aspect they force you to use while on them. 

The rollers took me a couple of weeks before I really got used to them.  But now I'm able to ride for longer distances and watch movies (not recommended for your first few rides).  I think my longest rides were upwards of 2h30m and 50 miles.  If you can learn the rollers and getting aero on the rollers, you'll be fine in most conditions on a real ride.

My ideal plan now is to ride the fluid trainer all of the off season/winter and then put in a few regular rides on the rollers when spring nears.

I"ll post a few videos from YouTube in another minute.

I love my cyclops fluid trainer for cycling strength workouts.  I am just trying to figure out how to do a long ride (90-120 min.) on the trainer without going crazy....maybe find a great movie.
2009-12-15 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2559706

User image

Veteran
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 10:18 AMHey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

I have a question for all you experts: I've been reading a lot about delaying the running portion of your training program if you have a lot of weight to lose. I am kind of feeling not too comfortable while running (jogging) right now, as I've currently got a lot of junk bouncing around (lol!), and I certainly don't want to injure myself!! I have 50lbs to lose. What do you guys think would be the best approach for me regarding the run? Should I concentrate on my swim, bike, and diet right now then add running in the last 8-10 weeks of my training program? Is that enough time? (Training for a sprint only)

Also, I neeeeeeed a good diet plan. If I'm going to delay my running training, I need to make sure that I lose weight in the interim. Will the increased swimming and cycling be enough, or do I need to make sure I'm on a strict diet also? If so, anyone have ideas on diets?

On that note: I've lost 3 pounds since last week!

I don't know about delaying it, but if you're doing a sprint just to finish I don't think you'll have too many problems with giving yourself about 10 weeks to get ready for the run. Depends on your current shape and aptitude for running.Stop "dieting" and start eating healthy. I recomment Clean Eating magazine and Tosca Reno's Eat Clean diet. It's more of a way of life. Nutrition is way more important and effective losing weight than training unless you're putting in a LOT of time training. Like 4 hours a day or so.
2009-12-15 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
OK - so I was the fourth person to post when the group opened for business and now 190+ posts later I am finally posting my bio!!

NAME: gdale / George

STORY: I live in Horseheads, NY.  I decided in November 2008 to give tri's a try!  I have been running for fitness since the beginning of 2007 when I realized that I was about 55 lbs heavier than when I went to college.  I guess the freshman 15, the first years of marriage and then a lot of sympathy eating with my wife while she was pregnant over the years added up.  So with diet and running in 2007 I lost about 20 lbs but then put about half back on.  I did some biking in the summer of 2007 too but only about once a week.  Seemed to be plateauing with running so I added swimming at the end of August last year.  I was a lifeguard in highschool but never a swimmer--just did the minimum amount of laps to complete my required workouts.  With time and consistency in the pool I have brought my times down pretty far now averaging 1:44/100 on longer swims.  After I started feeling comfortable in the pool, I decided that working towards a tri would keep me motivated to improve my fitness.  After training for a few months and completing my first indoor tri and a 10K, I think I feel an addiction coming on!  Besides work and training, I am actively involved in my kids sports (coach for wrestling, t-ball and soccer) and serve on the board for a charity based in Dallas, TX.  In the tri's I did this year, I was pretty much MOP in all three disciplines.  Hope to move up to the back end of the FOP group this year.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to Kristine for nearly 12 years with 3 boys - 10, 7, and 3

CURRENT TRAINING: A lot of my training happens at lunch at the YMCA near where I work.  Right now I am just in maintenance mode...doing mostly running and swimming.  Outside biking is likly done for me for several months but Santa is bringing me a trainer so I will be putting in some much needed bike time.  I had been swimming with a Masters group 2 mornings per week which really helped my swimming.  I will pick that up again regularly after the first of the year.  When training for races, I typically swam 3 days a week, ran 3 days a week and biked 2 days per week.  In 2010 I hope to get that bike up to 3 x per week.

2009 RACES: YMCA Tri at the Y for my first tri.  Keuka Lake Sprint.  Cayuga Lake Oly.  2 10ks and my first half marathon.  Happy with my first seasons performance!

2010 Races:  Not finalized yet but plan to do Cayuga Lake Oly again, Mini Mussleman (sprint), Finger Lakes Tri.  Will likely do 2 10Ks, 1 half marathon and my first marathon.  Thinking about stepping up to a half and doing the Syracuse 70.3 in September but haven't convinced the wife yet!

WEIGHTLOSS:
  Currently around 165, would like to be around 160 or a little lower.  Was there in season but have been eating without thinking for a few months.

Now that I am caught up on page 10 I don't plan to get behind again!!!

George

2009-12-15 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2559784

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
gdale - 2009-12-15 11:41 AM OK - so I was the fourth person to post when the group opened for business and now 190+ posts later I am finally posting my bio!!

STORY: I live in Horseheads, NY.  I decided in November 2008 to give tri's a try!  I have been running for fitness since the beginning of 2007 when I realized that I was about 55 lbs heavier than when I went to college.  I guess the freshman 15, the first years of marriage and then a lot of sympathy eating with my wife while she was pregnant over the years added up.  So with diet and running in 2007 I lost about 20 lbs but then put about half back on.  I did some biking in the summer of 2007 too but only about once a week.  Seemed to be plateauing with running so I added swimming at the end of August last year.  I was a lifeguard in highschool but never a swimmer--just did the minimum amount of laps to complete my required workouts.  With time and consistency in the pool I have brought my times down pretty far now averaging 1:44/100 on longer swims.  After I started feeling comfortable in the pool, I decided that working towards a tri would keep me motivated to improve my fitness.  After training for a few months and completing my first indoor tri and a 10K, I think I feel an addiction coming on!  Besides work and training, I am actively involved in my kids sports (coach for wrestling, t-ball and soccer) and serve on the board for a charity based in Dallas, TX.  In the tri's I did this year, I was pretty much MOP in all three disciplines.  Hope to move up to the back end of the FOP group this year.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to Kristine for nearly 12 years with 3 boys - 10, 7, and 3

CURRENT TRAINING: A lot of my training happens at lunch at the YMCA near where I work.  Right now I am just in maintenance mode...doing mostly running and swimming.  Outside biking is likly done for me for several months but Santa is bringing me a trainer so I will be putting in some much needed bike time.  I had been swimming with a Masters group 2 mornings per week which really helped my swimming.  I will pick that up again regularly after the first of the year.  When training for races, I typically swam 3 days a week, ran 3 days a week and biked 2 days per week.  In 2010 I hope to get that bike up to 3 x per week.

2009 RACES: YMCA Tri at the Y for my first tri.  Keuka Lake Sprint.  Cayuga Lake Oly.  2 10ks and my first half marathon.  Happy with my first seasons performance!

2010 Races:  Not finalized yet but plan to do Cayuga Lake Oly again, Mini Mussleman (sprint), Finger Lakes Tri.  Will likely do 2 10Ks, 1 half marathon and my first marathon.  Thinking about stepping up to a half and doing the Syracuse 70.3 in September but haven't convinced the wife yet!

WEIGHTLOSS:
  Currently around 165, would like to be around 160 or a little lower.  Was there in season but have been eating without thinking for a few months.

Now that I am caught up on page 10 11 I don't plan to get behind again!!!

George

Doh!!! Page 11

2009-12-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2559792

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Happy belated birthday George.  And thanks to JHagerman for posting the link to put in our blogs.

Steve

e.t.a...I will post a more complete Bio tonight.  I have really enjoyed reading the banter that has transpired so far.  Suzy (ssminnow) pointed me to this group during the summer and I lurked since then and was SO glad to get in.

Edited by Reno8 2009-12-15 10:49 AM
2009-12-15 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 11:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

I have a question for all you experts: I've been reading a lot about delaying the running portion of your training program if you have a lot of weight to lose. I am kind of feeling not too comfortable while running (jogging) right now, as I've currently got a lot of junk bouncing around (lol!), and I certainly don't want to injure myself!! I have 50lbs to lose. What do you guys think would be the best approach for me regarding the run? Should I concentrate on my swim, bike, and diet right now then add running in the last 8-10 weeks of my training program? Is that enough time? (Training for a sprint only)

I would NOT delay running due to weight. I find that nothing brings down weight more than running. It does NOT have to intense. LSD (long slow distance) works and will help you build your base. Run/wlak if you have to until you can run the entire time. With biking and running build slowly. Many injuries are caused by overdoing it.

Also, I neeeeeeed a good diet plan. If I'm going to delay my running training, I need to make sure that I lose weight in the interim. Will the increased swimming and cycling be enough, or do I need to make sure I'm on a strict diet also? If so, anyone have ideas on diets?

I have used Weight Watchers and lost 85 lbs on it in just under a year. It teaches you when to eat and what to eat first as well as how to balance your foods and most of all to track what you eat. It works for me but I am not being paid by them to say this. Laughing

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2009-12-15 10:48 AM
2009-12-15 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Linda - for time on the trainer, I find it good to do a few different things.  Movies are great, especially ones that are either your personal fav's or ones that you haven't yet seen.  Mix up your movie with some intervals.  You could do your 15-20 min Wu and then spend 10 minutes going hard, rest for a few minutes and then do 5 min hard, mix it up - make a plan for your workout or just make stuff up as you go. 

If you're watching TV. spin fast for your TV show and during the commercials you could do intervals for each commercial - first one hard/fast then easy, hard/fast then easy then stand and hit your hardest gear as fast as you can.  This way you can watch your show/movie and still get in a real workout.

If you are going for a specific time or distance sometimes it works best to write it down and have it on an index card next to you while you go.  Then when you feel like getting lazy, look at the card for idea's or motivation.  It's easy to fall in to a slow easy spin when you are going for a long distance or time.  So find things like commercials or key phrases that you force yourself to do something different.
2009-12-15 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey George: Happy B-day. I lived in Rochester a Loooong time ago and went to RPI in Troy, NY undergrad. I do NOT miss lake-effect snow!
2009-12-15 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
gdale - 2009-12-15 10:41 AM OK - so I was the fourth person to post when the group opened for business and now 190+ posts later I am finally posting my bio!!

STORY: I live in Horseheads, NY. 

ha yeah things move pretty quick around here.  happy belated b-day. a couple of us are coaches as well and will share tips suggestions and stories. from time to time. 

how did your town get its name? 

2009-12-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2559677

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-15 11:12 AM
trysprintolympic - 2009-12-15 10:04 AM I have nothing to add to the cassette/trainer discussions, but I am curious about rollers! I have a set but haven't had the time to try it out yet (long story short, I'm still looking for the right pedals for my new bike).

whatever you do, get your first time on video!   and then post it here.

jeremy, tracy, doug, etc.  will chime in shortly with more meaningful advice.  ;-)

ripped this off from one of jeremy's post's.  notice he's up against a wall.  enjoy....

Jeremy: http://www.youtube.com/user/shdallstr#p/a/u/1/DG-aja0OPAM

Not Jeremy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCdm5FsJpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvVcNxGlR0

Jeremy's response is a good guide line, about two weeks 3-4 ties a week to get comfortable. If you are not very comfortable on the bike on the road, I would start with a road bike on rollers before using a tri bike. Road bikes have a longer wheel base and are therefore more stable. Also they are usually heavier and less responsive and thus easier to handle on rollers (in the beginning).

Nothing beats rollers for developing control of your center of gravity, and as Jeremy said it is a good core work out. While you cant develop much power on rollers, you can greatly improve your form and spinning in low gears on rollers is a GREAT off-season workout to improve your pedal stroke.

Doug
2009-12-15 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2559815

User image

Master
Maryland
JHagerman - 2009-12-15 10:52 AM Linda - for time on the trainer, I find it good to do a few different things.  Movies are great, especially ones that are either your personal fav's or ones that you haven't yet seen.  Mix up your movie with some intervals.  You could do your 15-20 min Wu and then spend 10 minutes going hard, rest for a few minutes and then do 5 min hard, mix it up - make a plan for your workout or just make stuff up as you go. 

If you're watching TV. spin fast for your TV show and during the commercials you could do intervals for each commercial - first one hard/fast then easy, hard/fast then easy then stand and hit your hardest gear as fast as you can.  This way you can watch your show/movie and still get in a real workout.

If you are going for a specific time or distance sometimes it works best to write it down and have it on an index card next to you while you go.  Then when you feel like getting lazy, look at the card for idea's or motivation.  It's easy to fall in to a slow easy spin when you are going for a long distance or time.  So find things like commercials or key phrases that you force yourself to do something different.

Thanks Jeremy, those are great suggestions.   I have only done 60 min. at a time and need to up it.  I like the idea of spinning fast during the tv shows (or ball games) and doing intervals during the commercials.
2009-12-15 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I have lost 50 lbs since I started my tri training in March still want to lose 50 more. Running was/is still the hardest for me but I run. I have arthritis in one knee too so that makes it worse but losing weight has made it better on my knee already.

Try to run on soft surfaces such as trails, running tracks or treadmills which is where I have been running most often lately.
Start with short runs or run/walks, many people can run faster overall if they run let's say 5 run/1 walk (minutes) or 9 run/1 walk etc.
Start slow gradually build, take backwards steps (in terms of time or distance every so often as running can cause overuse injuries most easily).
Some people don't agree (because it's not the same movement) but occasional elliptical training workout have helped my running endurance without the impact issues.
I started run/walking 1-2 miles in April, now I can run over 6 miles on the road and plan to do a half marathon in late winter.

I don't really believe in diets, finding a good nutrition plan YES!
There is a weight loss forum here on BT you should check that out for more info.

Lisa AKA losta

kickitinok - 2009-12-15 11:18 AM

Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

Edited by losta 2009-12-15 11:21 AM
2009-12-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2559804

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-12-15 10:48 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 11:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

I would NOT delay running due to weight. I find that nothing brings down weight more than running. It does NOT have to intense. LSD (long slow distance) works and will help you build your base. Run/wlak if you have to until you can run the entire time. With biking and running build slowly. Many injuries are caused by overdoing it.

I have used Weight Watchers and lost 85 lbs on it in just under a year. It teaches you when to eat and what to eat first as well as how to balance your foods and most of all to track what you eat. It works for me but I am not being paid by them to say this. Laughing

Doug

x2 On Doug's response - go with a walk - jog program.  The ratio is not all that important - you can walk 3-5 min and jog 1 min for 20 min or so to start.  Just try to start making small improvement each week.  If you can get 1% better everyday then in 3 months you are almost 100% better...  Also, go find someone to give you a little training in proper running form - most people run wrong (heel strike) which puts a lot of extra stress on the body...

Andy

2009-12-15 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I would not delay your run training.  I'm not an expert here but have helped lots of people get started.  I took a look at your logs.  Is this your second week of training?  If yes, hang in there.  It will take a while for your body to get use to the impact of running.  You seem to have a good handle on your run/walk however if the run is hurting still cut it back even further by either slowing it down or cutting the time down even if that means you run for 30 seconds and walk for 3 minutes.  Do whatever it takes and slowly build. Nothing takes weight off faster than running.  It's also VERY important to work in stretching into your routine.  It may help if after you warm up for 5 min, stop and stretch and then make sure you stretch really well after you run. 

Good Luck and Congrats on the 3 lbs!

kickitinok - 2009-12-15 10:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

2009-12-15 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Happy B'day George...and me too, as my big 45 was yesterday.

Dang it is tough getting old, but must say that I am in the best shape of my life.  Still a ways to go though.  I am determined to give my IT band another week or so before starting back running.
2009-12-15 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2559854

User image

Expert

jeremy, tracy, doug, etc.  will chime in shortly with more meaningful advice.  ;-)

ripped this off from one of jeremy's post's.  notice he's up against a wall.  enjoy....

Not Jeremy:

So it's better to be against the wall than in a doorframe? And should I put on platform pedals rather than my clipless?

I can't wait to post the video of me splitting my head in two for the group!

Edited by trysprintolympic 2009-12-15 11:35 AM
2009-12-15 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I'll second the walking advise but caution against ramping up the running too close to a race.  Maybe I am gun shy with my current overuse running injury, but ramping things up before a race when you don't normally run is a great way to get hurt.  Go with the run/walk combos like Andy described but most importantly,   THERE IS NO SHAME IN WALKING THE RUN PORTION OF A RACE!!!   I know people who intentionally walked the entire marathon of an Ironman and they just trained with speed walking. Listen to your body and take it slow. Monitor your heart rate when walking and focus on staying in your aerobic zone to burn the most calories.  Take care of those knees and hips and don't twist your arms accross your body even when walking. 

Tracy
2009-12-15 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 10:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

I would check out Jeff Galloway's run/walk programs.  His programs tend to be easier on the body.  I have a friend who has a bum knee and stress fracture issues but still uses his methods even on race day and her 1/2 marathon PR under 2 hrs.

2009-12-15 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn, Wa
WOW!!!!! you don't fool around when you get a group going!! I'm off the computer for 24hrs and I miss 8 pages of posts. Day two of training for me went well. Glad to see there's no shortage energy in this group. Thanks for letting me be a part of it. I 'll update more info tomorrow. Off to my last 12 hr shift of the week. Have a great day everyone!!!

2009-12-15 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

As far as dieting (and I am a weight loss, scale happy nut) don't try to actually diet while ramping up and training.  You will not have the energy for your workouts.  Instead log all of your food at least for a week or two to figure how many calories you are really taking in.  Go to a website and estimate your resting metabolic rate.  This will give the number of calories that you need to function throughout the day. 

Then based on the number of calories you use while exercising and your RMR, you can figure out if you are overeating.  You can tweak your eating a bit to shed some pounds but don't do anything too drastic.  Plus remember as you workout, you will turn fat into muscle so the scale # may not come down but the pants size will.

2009-12-15 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I may have to change the subject line... I am MILES AND MILES BEHIND!!! Good thing I move faster on the road, than I do in the MG group !

Trainer rides-  Rollers are good for bike handling, and time in saddle.  I don't necessarily think it is great for building up Power, but it works.  For Sanity I am with others... TV, or Movies while glancing at the CompuTrainer periodically!  I love riding on the trainer.  I am not a "sweater" so when I get on the trainer, and I am pouring sweat like an NBA player at the free-throw line-- I LOVE IT!

Treadmill- I think this is the SOLE reason I was able to improve my speed.  Doing interval training taught my leg's the turnover.  2 years ago I was never able to run sub 7- I didn't know what it meant.  Trying it out on the treadmill forced me to run that fast or end up on my face! 

"INSPIRES"- Do want you want with them.  If you chose to ignore them that is ok, if you want to reply to someone's post hit "reply".  NO GROUNDS, but like Doug said, be mindful of others. 

Diet-  I can't help here.  I am guilty of eating BAD, but I guess that is why I work out that much longer, or harder.  I have a job where I am on the road a lot (in the car), I take someone to lunch at least 3 days a week!  Ugh.  Just be mindful of what you put into your body.  WE NEED TO EAT! With the amount of calories you burn it doesn't do your body any good to starve yourself of necessary calories (again I am NO EXPERT HERE!).... If you ever want to discuss in depth over a Jack n' Coke-- I AM IN!!

Running vs. walking--- Do want makes you feel best.  If you want to walk- WALK, if you want to run- RUN.  I remember the 1st time I did a marathon this guy and I kept leap frogging because he would take is walk breaks.  SO ANNOYING, but he was consistent.  It paid off for him.  Not me.  I killed me mentally to see this guy walking, then running past me. TIME AFTER TIME, but it works!

Jeremy- Thank you for providing that link!

B-day PEEPS--- HAPPY B-day!
2009-12-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2559974

User image

Master
Small Town
trysprintolympic - 2009-12-15 12:34 PM

Not Jeremy:

So it's better to be against the wall than in a doorframe? And should I put on platform pedals rather than my clipless?

I can't wait to post the video of me splitting my head in two for the group!

As long as you are next to something stable to balance off of for your start, you'll be ok.  The door frame idea is so that if you fall either way, you'll have something to grab.  I know a person who put a mattress on each side of the rollers - good idea, except he was on a MTB and put a hole in one mattress with the handlebars. 

So you'll find pretty quickly that you normally pull  to one side or the other on rollers.  Put the 'fall side' against a wall, or use the door frame idea.

After a few rides you'll get the feel.  Now when I use my rollers I'm in the middle of the room, between my elliptical and treadmill. 

That video was my old roadie and I chose to use my running shoes on the SPD Pedals.  If you want to put platforms on, that's fine.  I wouldn't use your bike shoes until you find the groove and can unclip FAST.
2009-12-15 12:08 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
kickitinok - 2009-12-15 8:18 AM Hey everyone - I have nothing to add to the present conversation because I'm a true "beginner." However, I do HAVE to listen to my ipod when spinning. Anything else and I get bored.

First - I would spend the last couple days before your Tri is to take off the iPod.  I would think that they're illegal for all the triathlons, so you may want to get used to it.

Diet plan - LOL - I think once you start doing the training, you'll shed your pounds pretty good.  Here's my secret on how I lost 20 pounds within the last couple months.   I have iTouch with LoseIt! app.  You record every single calorie intake for the day, and you have a limit on how many calories you can eat in a day. Believe me, it is a bit tougher than it sounds.  The best thing is...you can eat WHATEVER you want, as long as you're under the limit.   There will be some days where I have went a little over, however, the next day, I made it up by being under. The trick is, you have a limited amount of calories for the whole week, divided by 7. So it's not a big deal if you went over one day, as long as you make it up by being under the next day. 

I found that it forces me to eat in smaller portions and read the calories. Roy's famous Taco Pasta Salad was a HUGE amount of calories due to the pasta, so we cut down the pasta and added more of the rest.  You'll be surprised at how many calories are in one slice of pizza.

Best part is - if you feel like you're in the mood for 3 slices of pizza today, go ahead! Just do 1 hour worth of biking, or 1 hour worth of walking, you'll be able to be under the amount of calorie intake for the day. I don't give a hoot about fat, sugar, carbs, etc. I'm not that over analyical!

As for snacks - there's a lot of low calories stuff. Beware of "healthy" stuff, like fruits and nuts...they still have quite a punch in calories, not much, but still a lot.

After a while, you get used to eating smaller portions, and weighing the food, etc, you'll lose weight in no time.  I love this diet because I can eat a brownie or cookies and not feel guilty at all. 

Other than that, I just do the training (mostly cycling, and currently running) and I still pig out. I'm in the mood for In & Out burger...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230