BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-02 8:28 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D

James won his AG at Black Bear!

Great job James!!

Nice job! I've been wondering about this course. Particularly after seeing that a Josh Beck put up a 4:42 at the half last year.

Edited by brigby1 2014-06-02 8:28 AM

2014-06-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Quick check in post Alcatraz. You always wonder about those "must do" races. Escape is in al respects awesome. Everything about it is top notch and the course is incredibly gorgeous. Most happy about my run, first time I feel like I've been able to build through it. Coincidence that my PT crapped out and I had to bike by feel? Goal was to go sub 3 and just got there

congrats James!

Neil, sorry about the DNF but sounds like you handled it well

2014-06-02 10:08 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM Quick check in post Alcatraz. You always wonder about those "must do" races. Escape is in al respects awesome. Everything about it is top notch and the course is incredibly gorgeous. Most happy about my run, first time I feel like I've been able to build through it. Coincidence that my PT crapped out and I had to bike by feel? Goal was to go sub 3 and just got there

congrats James!

That's awesome!  Very happy for you that the run came together (with the bike, etc.) - must be a great feeling to perform well on such a great course!

Matt

2014-06-02 10:16 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Theoretical question for the TP number jocks.

Is it better to race with a higher TSB but lower CTL/fitness (say, 25 and 90 - kinda random, but illustrative) or a lower TSB but higher fitness (say, 10 and 100) for a HIM?  Not sure which is better, but I think I could get to either place depending on how I approach my taper this week.

In other words, better to taper until the TSB curve goes from steep to beginning to flatten out (well into the positive double digit numbers) or stay in the steep portion of the TSB (high single digit to low double digit positive number) and prevent the CTL from slipping "too much"?

Jason, the article you linked was helpful and makes clear that it's all individual, but I'm looking for even a general guideline (or more HIM specific - not sure if for a longer course it's perhaps better to hold on to fitness a little bit more than taper more aggressively - although either will have at least SOME taper, as I'm not suggesting trying to BUILD fitness, just maintain more or less vs. a bit more freshness).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Matt

2014-06-02 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice racing everyone! Chris good to see you are back in action.

Matt, when I was tracking this stuff and reading about it, I noticed that as it applies to your example I was performing better with the higher TSB and lower CTL. Nothing drastic, but the last week to 10 days for me I have the tendency to overdo things but I was learning an extra rest day was much better than me doing anything to keep my CTL level. You aren't improving performance that last week and are just trying to stay sharp and get to the line rested. Being Fresh heading into the race is what you are after...whatever number that happens to feel like. For me it was when TSB went up and stayed there for at least a couple days (like you say level out). The second day at that TSB is when my legs seemed to be fresh....I always have to watch for being stale though. I don't do well with days off so usually need to do something and just adjust intensity levels.
2014-06-02 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by ChrisM

Quick check in post Alcatraz. You always wonder about those "must do" races. Escape is in al respects awesome. Everything about it is top notch and the course is incredibly gorgeous. Most happy about my run, first time I feel like I've been able to build through it. Coincidence that my PT crapped out and I had to bike by feel? Goal was to go sub 3 and just got there

congrats James!

congrats, Chris!
Alcatraz sounds cool, but I'm not sure I want to jump off a boat into frigid water being a weak swimmer. Yes, I'd be a baby wearing a wetsuit and get mocked, so I probably won't do that one...

Sorry about the DNF, Neil. I hope you feel better soon.

My race did not go quite as hoped. Probably less well trained that I hoped to be and just now realizing it.
RR link below
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2014-06-03 6:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-03 6:37 AM

2014-06-03 4:18 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Seattle

I'm back! Already! The eta was 6 weeks recovery and I broke the tape in 13 days I was able to do at least something every day after surgery, slowly ramping into some hard bike sessions about 10 days out but just started running again yesterday. I still have a pretty big open wound on my back (just above my butt) but it doesn't really hurt now. It's just uncomfortable (but I've been dealing with that for 8+ months before the surgery anyway.)

I'll take some time ramping back in to be sure I don't have a setback. Since I already qualified for nationals I can drop the meet that was supposed to happen next weekend. I not only don't believe it would be wise to attempt a hard 10K on the track but I don't think it would tell me much other than I need to get back in shape

It looks like you all are having some nice races! 

And Neil, chin up! 

2014-06-03 8:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I'm back! Already! The eta was 6 weeks recovery and I broke the tape in 13 days I was able to do at least something every day after surgery, slowly ramping into some hard bike sessions about 10 days out but just started running again yesterday. I still have a pretty big open wound on my back (just above my butt) but it doesn't really hurt now. It's just uncomfortable (but I've been dealing with that for 8+ months before the surgery anyway.)

I'll take some time ramping back in to be sure I don't have a setback. Since I already qualified for nationals I can drop the meet that was supposed to happen next weekend. I not only don't believe it would be wise to attempt a hard 10K on the track but I don't think it would tell me much other than I need to get back in shape

And Neil, chin up! 

Great recovery time Adrienne - pretty substantial difference between the eta and your actual time.

I'm good with how my race played out.  I'm still sick, and that just validates that I made  the right call rather than trying to push through it on the day (although I was second guessing myself for the better part of 24 hours).

2014-06-04 5:19 AM

2014-06-04 7:52 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Asalzwed

And Neil, chin up! 

Welcome back, boss!  

2014-06-05 4:50 PM

2014-06-05 6:37 PM

Originally posted by Fred D Solid ride today for me. I'm surprised as I did a very hard group ride on Tuesday and I thought I would still be paying recovery costs from that ride (chasing a CAT2 130 LB cyclist up some steep climbs lol). I need to talk to Shane about these group rides as I have mixed emotions on them. On the one hand they make me work hard, on the other, there is a larger recovery cost the next day. Any thoughts from the group?

I've always liked to incorporate one hard weekday group ride into my tri training just to mix things up.  I agree that the recovery cost can be pretty high (I'll usually build up around 130-150 TSS in 2 hours) so I usually have to plan the workouts before and after accordingly.  It would be hard for me to fit in two weekday hard group rides like that.  Usually my other weekday ride is 70-90 minutes, consisting of intervals on the TT bike...around 80-100 TSS.

2014-06-06 12:12 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Finally took back a KOM that I've been itching to take a real shot at for over a year.  I knew I had the fitness, but today was far from ideal going into a 15 mph headwind.  Not to mention with a small sling bag on back and a regular tech shirt instead of a jersey...LOL.  Smashed my previous best for 3 minute power by 23 watts.  Funny though that I had already figured in my head that I would need at least 420 watts to pull it off under today's conditions.  And I threw up afterwards...three times.  HAHA

http://www.strava.com/segments/1361818?filter=overall

2014-06-06 6:38 AM

2014-06-06 6:46 AM

2014-06-06 7:44 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Anyone toeing the line this weekend?  I'll be doing the Liberty Half Ironman in Minnesota tomorrow.  I managed a M45-49 AG win there in 2008 (can't believe its been that long) but haven't been back since....we'll see what happens with the M50-54 tomorrow.  Good luck to anyone racing.

2014-06-06 7:47 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Anyone toeing the line this weekend?  I'll be doing the Liberty Half Ironman in Minnesota tomorrow.  I managed a M45-49 AG win there in 2008 (can't believe its been that long) but haven't been back since....we'll see what happens with the M50-54 tomorrow.  Good luck to anyone racing.

Good luck Jim.

2014-06-06 7:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Jason N

Finally took back a KOM that I've been itching to take a real shot at for over a year.  I knew I had the fitness, but today was far from ideal going into a 15 mph headwind.  Not to mention with a small sling bag on back and a regular tech shirt instead of a jersey...LOL.  Smashed my previous best for 3 minute power by 23 watts.  Funny though that I had already figured in my head that I would need at least 420 watts to pull it off under today's conditions.  And I threw up afterwards...three times.  HAHA

http://www.strava.com/segments/1361818?filter=overall

Awesome on all accounts!

Great job! Don't even want to think about trying that.

2014-06-06 8:16 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Fred D Solid ride today for me. I'm surprised as I did a very hard group ride on Tuesday and I thought I would still be paying recovery costs from that ride (chasing a CAT2 130 LB cyclist up some steep climbs lol). I need to talk to Shane about these group rides as I have mixed emotions on them. On the one hand they make me work hard, on the other, there is a larger recovery cost the next day. Any thoughts from the group?

I've always liked to incorporate one hard weekday group ride into my tri training just to mix things up.  I agree that the recovery cost can be pretty high (I'll usually build up around 130-150 TSS in 2 hours) so I usually have to plan the workouts before and after accordingly.  It would be hard for me to fit in two weekday hard group rides like that.  Usually my other weekday ride is 70-90 minutes, consisting of intervals on the TT bike...around 80-100 TSS.

I tend to have mixed feelings on group rides as well. I guess it depends on the flexibility within the ride and your scheduling around it. Do you often have to chase every attack to stay with the group? And do they do that a lot? Are you able to adjust or schedule the workouts more immediately around the group ride to accommodate this? I too feel like riding until I'm very spent carries extra recovery that TSS doesn't always indicate. Things like Revolver or AVDP will do this to me if I'm truly done near the last interval and it will affect all workouts over the next few days, possibly a little longer. These will be noticeably short of 100 TSS as they're 45-50 minute workouts. Whereas I can do 150-160 at an easier effort and be fine the next day, or even later the same day. Could this also be from not doing as much of the really high intensity as a roadie might do?

2014-06-06 9:20 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hi All,Thank you so much for the congrats and kudos on Black Bear Oly. It was a good race. I have Syracuse 70.3 in about two weeks and I am feeling freakishly strong now. I just got to get through a couple of large training bubbles, taper well and I should have another good race.
2014-06-06 9:25 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisMQuick check in post Alcatraz. You always wonder about those "must do" races. Escape is in al respects awesome. Everything about it is top notch and the course is incredibly gorgeous. Most happy about my run, first time I feel like I've been able to build through it. Coincidence that my PT crapped out and I had to bike by feel? Goal was to go sub 3 and just got there

congrats James!

Great job at Alcatraz Chris! It feels good to do well, yes? Nothing wrong with a little RPE.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-06-06 9:35 AM
2014-06-06 9:47 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred DSolid ride today for me. I'm surprised as I did a very hard group ride on Tuesday and I thought I would still be paying recovery costs from that ride (chasing a CAT2 130 LB cyclist up some steep climbs lol). I need to talk to Shane about these group rides as I have mixed emotions on them. On the one hand they make me work hard, on the other, there is a larger recovery cost the next day. Any thoughts from the group?
My 2 cents. You are incredibly fortunate to have such people to ride with. I would take every possible advantage to ride with those guys. Although their agenda is probably strictly cycling where yours is swim, bike and run. That will be another training management obstacle. Fred you are very strong on the bike but if you want to get faster on the bike ride with faster people. If the training management is not there then do the ride with the fast guys when you can. The finial note make sure you varying that terrain when you're riding with the faster guys.
2014-06-06 9:59 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Jim good luck this weekend. Make us old guys proud. Btw Matt is racing his frist HIM of the year. So folks head over to his log and wish him the best.

Edited by BrotherTri 2014-06-06 10:10 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38695 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74170 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.