BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-28 2:22 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed Speaking of Canadian curse...Hi Kirsten! How are things?

Now that's funny!!!!!!!!

2015-05-28 2:27 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Strava users,

Have any of you look at the latest stravistix?  Now there is a weather thing for bike rides (they have to add for running too!). 

Interesting. I don't know how much of that I would actually use. I like the Toughness Score though

2015-05-28 2:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Strava users,

Have any of you look at the latest stravistix?  Now there is a weather thing for bike rides (they have to add for running too!). 

Interesting. I don't know how much of that I would actually use. I like the Toughness Score though

It's just interesting to poke at.  For example, I live in Apex (allegedly the highest point on the RR line between DC and Jacksonville) which means that it's a gradual uphill home for most rides.  If you're on Strava, you'll see that a lot of the time I take Old US 1 (yes, the one that was once the main north south route on the east coast) which is a straight shot into town.  This can become the "Apex Wind Tunnel."  Yesterday it was not and I can see that very clearly with the little wind splotches.  So was it new info?  Not really, I knew that it didn't suck but it's interesting to see that kind of confirmation. 

It's also somewhat interesting to see the % uphill, downhill and flat.

As you can tell, I'm having a busy afternoon!

2015-05-28 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Strava users,

It's just interesting to poke at.  For example, I live in Apex (allegedly the highest point on the RR line between DC and Jacksonville) which means that it's a gradual uphill home for most rides.  If you're on Strava, you'll see that a lot of the time I take Old US 1 (yes, the one that was once the main north south route on the east coast) which is a straight shot into town.  This can become the "Apex Wind Tunnel."  Yesterday it was not and I can see that very clearly with the little wind splotches.  So was it new info?  Not really, I knew that it didn't suck but it's interesting to see that kind of confirmation. 

is it a free thingy or do you need the premium strava.  i might mess around with it if it were free, but paying for something to tell me i ride in a pancake flat, hot, humid, windy area may not be very appealing 

2015-05-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Strava users,

is it a free thingy or do you need the premium strava.  i might mess around with it if it were free, but paying for something to tell me i ride in a pancake flat, hot, humid, windy area may not be very appealing 

Free thingie.  Well, you need Chrome (it's a Chrome plug in) and it's donation ware but you can use it for free.

I've done the premium Strava when they have a free offer but then I cancelled it when it came time to pay them.  Just not worth it to me.  I enjoy it as a game but that's about it (well, that and stealing routes from locals that I follow).

ETA: Not sure the % uphill, downhill and flat will be of much use to you though!

Edited by jmkizer 2015-05-28 2:47 PM
2015-05-28 2:53 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

[QUit TE]Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by rrr. ner

Strava users,

But I want to know exactly how pancake flat, oven hot, dust-devil windy it is!..as I park the trainer by the back door to watch kids play in the pool. (Yes, I'll be checking it out)

2015-05-28 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Strava users,

Free thingie.  Well, you need Chrome (it's a Chrome plug in) and it's donation ware but you can use it for free.

I've done the premium Strava when they have a free offer but then I cancelled it when it came time to pay them.  Just not worth it to me.  I enjoy it as a game but that's about it (well, that and stealing routes from locals that I follow).

ETA: Not sure the % uphill, downhill and flat will be of much use to you though!

Interesting. The wind factor would be nice. I know I've seen % of elevation gain/loss somewhere on something. Probably Strava but I usually look at it on my phone which gives only basic info. I'll have to try it at home on the computer. Our work computers are ridiculously out of date. I can barely open strava, let alone see any relevant data.

2015-05-28 4:08 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed Speaking of Canadian curse...Hi Kirsten! How are things?

Ouch .  Things are pretty good.  Busy, but good.  Been enjoying the nice weather we have been having!

2015-05-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

ok, how far back do I need to go? whew!

update:

Jason is loving his new job. Excited about what he can bring to the small businesses of AZ and the state/national connections he's going to be making.

T had his 8th bday yesterday. We found a Specialized Hotrock for him to start riding. I thought J was getting a 24"...it's a 26", but with seat down and a stem adjustment, T is loving it. Wants to ride morning and night. Now Mak just needs to get to a 20"!

We thought about going to Moab last weekend, but T got sick and J had only been home a few days, company had just left, and we were tired. lol  Took the time to clean up around the yard and set up the pool for the summer....yes, set up. Not ready to invest 20k in an in-ground yet.

That's great about the job situation.  Loving your job sure makes life easier.

Kids grow so fast at that age it is tough to gauge the right bike sizes to purchase.  Our neighbors have a boy that is a few years younger than ours so they hover like vultures waiting to snatch up our son's old bike every time he gets a new one which seems to be quite often.  He is defininately n+1 when it comes to bikes.  We bought him a Fuji 24 road bike last year and now he wants a new MTB to replace his old 20.  Good thing about these bikes though is they hold their value (unless we just give them away which is generally what happens).

2015-05-28 4:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I opted to not race the mile last night. I've been a bit under the weather and figured just trying to finish the workout would be challenge enough.

It's the strangest thing...in addition to a cold my nose hurts like a mofo. In fact it hurts as bad as it did when it was broken. And it's swollen. But I can't recall actually hitting it on anything. So. Weird. So, hopefully at a minimum the cold is cleared up by Saturday so that the run around St. Helen's isn't too much of a suffer fest.

Speaking of suffering, last nights track workout was pretty tough! We did a ladder: 2 x 1000, 2 x 600, 4 x 400, 4 x 200. Which is really just a sneaky way of having us run a 5+K a little faster than 5K pace I'm onto my coach

Sorry about your nose.  I broke my nose pretty bad once and colds can sometimes cause I little more discomfort.  Hope it's better by the weekend.  The St. Helen's trip sounds awesome.  I don't recall if you've done or mentioned the Wonderland Trail before.  Bucket list item to do it in 2 or 3 days.

Did the warmer weather affect your track workout last night?  On your ladder, do you keep the same pace as distances decrease or do they speed up?  I did some speedwork last night and it was warm and I suffered greatly.

Edited by popsracer 2015-05-28 4:24 PM
2015-05-28 4:25 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Definitely gives a bit more info.  The time spent climbing and speed while climbing would be cool for MTBing.

2015-05-28 4:30 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IronOx

Ouch .  Things are pretty good.  Busy, but good.  Been enjoying the nice weather we have been having!

I've got a friend who is constantly talking about the Victoria race.  Hope your prep is going well for it.  Just around the corner.

2015-05-28 4:48 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

I've got a friend who is constantly talking about the Victoria race.  Hope your prep is going well for it.  Just around the corner.

I KNOW!!  I kinda was shocked the other day when I realized it is coming up so quickly...like just over 2 weeks!

2015-05-28 4:59 PM

User image

Seattle

I opted to not race the mile last night. I've been a bit under the weather and figured just trying to finish the workout would be challenge enough.

It's the strangest thing...in addition to a cold my nose hurts like a mofo. In fact it hurts as bad as it did when it was broken. And it's swollen. But I can't recall actually hitting it on anything. So. Weird. So, hopefully at a minimum the cold is cleared up by Saturday so that the run around St. Helen's isn't too much of a suffer fest.

Speaking of suffering, last nights track workout was pretty tough! We did a ladder: 2 x 1000, 2 x 600, 4 x 400, 4 x 200. Which is really just a sneaky way of having us run a 5+K a little faster than 5K pace I'm onto my coach

Sorry about your nose.  I broke my nose pretty bad once and colds can sometimes cause I little more discomfort.  Hope it's better by the weekend.  The St. Helen's trip sounds awesome.  I don't recall if you've done or mentioned the Wonderland Trail before.  Bucket list item to do it in 2 or 3 days.

Did the warmer weather affect your track workout last night?  On your ladder, do you keep the same pace as distances decrease or do they speed up?  I did some speedwork last night and it was warm and I suffered greatly.

Hmm ok, well, I guess I am glad to hear that the break is why it feels this way.

I haven't done the Wonderland Trail. The permit process is a bit of a challenge and it's a little too far to run in a day. I had considered piggybacking off of a friends permit and crashing in their tent one night...but I think it would be against the rules, technically. I don't think I would really be interested in just hiking it.

Yes, it was quite warm for last nights workout! Warm enough to effect me (+ my nose/cold) We decreased the pace from a 6:10 mile to, well, heh, I ripped off some 36 second 200's so... 

*our coach has us do some of this faster interval/rep stuff when it's hot as we have time to grab some water and recover in between. It helps. But having not acclimated to summer temps, it was still a struggle. Very glad I didn't have to do a long temp or something

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-28 5:01 PM
2015-05-28 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I KNOW!!  I kinda was shocked the other day when I realized it is coming up so quickly...like just over 2 weeks!

Have you ridden the course?  Looks pretty hilly

2015-05-28 5:33 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Have you ridden the course?  Looks pretty hilly

I did the Oly a couple years ago (before it became an WTC race and they switched it to a sprint)--the half course is just two loops.  I have to admit, I HATED the course while I was riding it.  Like WTF am I doing this hated it.  I didn't find it hilly so much as rolling.  No huge climbs, but you are either going up, or you are going down.  You never really get a nice rhythm going.  The only barely flat part is by the airport, and that is where the wind comes up, cause you are out on the peninsula 

I just had a look at the elevation maps.  I can't comment on the accuracy of the bike one, but the run one is ridiculous.  It is twice around the lake, and it is relatively flat.  Or at least that what the map shows, and what it used to be.  This don't look like two of the same loops to me!!

2015-05-28 5:57 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by laffinrock

Just a little brag.  I ran a 5k cross-country race yesterday and gave an all-out effort.  I averaged 8:57/mile, the fastest I've ever done (total time 27:42).  My pace was also pretty consistent and my 3rd mi. was faster than the 2nd despite being mostly on grass instead of pavement/crushed rock path.  I finished low in the rankings (22/24 OA, 4/6 women).  Even so, I'm *really* proud of myself!!

Mary that is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!
(Oh BTW they are making an Ab Fab movie...for those of you that have never seen it try google )
2015-05-28 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Salty I broke my nose a couple of times as a kid, the last time was about 25 years ago, and even now if it gets even a slight knock in the wrong place it send tears to my eyes and hurts like he!!. For a couple of years after I did it when I got a cold the pressure in my head would just make it ache. It doesn't do it anymore. Some of the medical folks in the group might be able to shed some better light but it could just be because it is ever so slightly misaligned.
2015-05-28 10:19 PM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
An Ab Fab movie?!? That is absolutely fabulous, sweety-darling.... Can't wait to tell The Better Half.

I've broken my nose 8-10 times over the years (docs lost count and so did I). Two operations to realign it so I could breathe with a mouthpiece in (hockey and rugby). I now have no idea what it's supposed to feel like - I'm just happy when I can breathe out of it (like exhaling on the swim). Pretty sure it's not back to "normal," whatever that is, but you learn to get by...

Given all that, you'd think I would at least have gotten some cosmetic benefit out of one of the operations. Clearly not...

Salty, I hope yours is closer to normal!

Matt
2015-05-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Well I test rode the bike today.

The medium felt a bit too long in the reach for me, so I they set up a small and I must say it felt surprisingly good. My current bike is the same brand and a small and is just really uncomfortable. I talked to him about this and he said that the two bikes have completely different geometry, and that the one that I rode today is longer in the top tube than the one I have which is where I think my current problem is.

The biggest difference was the smoothness of the gear changes, this bike has ultegra components on it whereas my current bike has sora.

The only small that he has in stock is a demo. It still looks like brand new, he said it has been ridden about 300km, he said he will put new bar tape on it and take a further $300 off the price! So that means it will be $2,099 instead of $2,999. I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and make a decision.

I think I'm just really nervous to actually pull the trigger on a new bike seeing as my current one felt alright when I rode it at first too and now it just doesn't.

Oh what to do.
2015-05-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK Well I test rode the bike today. The medium felt a bit too long in the reach for me, so I they set up a small and I must say it felt surprisingly good. My current bike is the same brand and a small and is just really uncomfortable. I talked to him about this and he said that the two bikes have completely different geometry, and that the one that I rode today is longer in the top tube than the one I have which is where I think my current problem is. The biggest difference was the smoothness of the gear changes, this bike has ultegra components on it whereas my current bike has sora. The only small that he has in stock is a demo. It still looks like brand new, he said it has been ridden about 300km, he said he will put new bar tape on it and take a further $300 off the price! So that means it will be $2,099 instead of $2,999. I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and make a decision. I think I'm just really nervous to actually pull the trigger on a new bike seeing as my current one felt alright when I rode it at first too and now it just doesn't. Oh what to do.

Does the fitter know what to look for? Can they read your body as you're on the bike, seeing if your scrunched, bunched, tight, or reaching in any areas? My road bike feels all screwy after riding my tri bike so much. They need to help you figure out what you are feeling more so than a general how it's fitting. I don't know road bike fit as well, so am more limited. Were there more directed questions about different areas, how they felt? That can help lead you into learning what to feel for.

The bike sizes only relate to that specific bike type. Not only brand, but that type. it gets even better in that the saddle type & position, stem, and the bars all play a fairly significant role in how the bike feels too. I have an older Bianchi Brava in a 54 that actually rides longer than a size 58 Specialized Tarmac. The frame itself is actually shorter by the stack & reach measurements, but the stem is longer, I can sit farther back on that bike's saddle, and the bars loop farther forward. The Tarmac is also a taller bike which can play into that.

2015-05-29 10:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyK Well I test rode the bike today. The medium felt a bit too long in the reach for me, so I they set up a small and I must say it felt surprisingly good. My current bike is the same brand and a small and is just really uncomfortable. I talked to him about this and he said that the two bikes have completely different geometry, and that the one that I rode today is longer in the top tube than the one I have which is where I think my current problem is. The biggest difference was the smoothness of the gear changes, this bike has ultegra components on it whereas my current bike has sora. The only small that he has in stock is a demo. It still looks like brand new, he said it has been ridden about 300km, he said he will put new bar tape on it and take a further $300 off the price! So that means it will be $2,099 instead of $2,999. I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and make a decision. I think I'm just really nervous to actually pull the trigger on a new bike seeing as my current one felt alright when I rode it at first too and now it just doesn't. Oh what to do.

Does the fitter know what to look for? Can they read your body as you're on the bike, seeing if your scrunched, bunched, tight, or reaching in any areas? My road bike feels all screwy after riding my tri bike so much. They need to help you figure out what you are feeling more so than a general how it's fitting. I don't know road bike fit as well, so am more limited. Were there more directed questions about different areas, how they felt? That can help lead you into learning what to feel for.

The bike sizes only relate to that specific bike type. Not only brand, but that type. it gets even better in that the saddle type & position, stem, and the bars all play a fairly significant role in how the bike feels too. I have an older Bianchi Brava in a 54 that actually rides longer than a size 58 Specialized Tarmac. The frame itself is actually shorter by the stack & reach measurements, but the stem is longer, I can sit farther back on that bike's saddle, and the bars loop farther forward. The Tarmac is also a taller bike which can play into that.

See this is why I am so unsure what to do. I'm wondering if I should see if I can find somewhere to do a retul bike fit, but is it worth while if I am just looking for a lower end road bike?
2015-05-29 10:12 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

What B-- errr, what he said. If I'm correct, your last 'fitting' was actually a bike positioning (trying to setup your current bike). Do you have numbers regarding your body + angles + how they would best correspond to which measurements on a bike? Unfortunately a test ride (even a few) isn't a good measure of anything except do you like riding the bike.

Refresh me on what you're riding (make model year, WSD?) and what this one is. Can we talk about this tomorrow? I can call you.

2015-05-29 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So you are saying that you are glad that Monica doesn't live nearby?

2015-05-29 10:20 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

See this is why I am so unsure what to do. I'm wondering if I should see if I can find somewhere to do a retul bike fit, but is it worth while if I am just looking for a lower end road bike?

What system or brands the fitter uses is vastly less important than experience (preferably ongoing relationships) and knowledge about human anatomy and kinesiology esp with respect to bicycle geometry, riding physics and specific makes-models-types-components. There is no way I'd drop 2K on a bike without the necessary digits I was talking about (at a minimum). We know great fitters in Perth across dif price points and needs.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67909 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28864 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38325 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67475 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.