BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-18 4:10 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

I am pleased to say that I ran my first road race in a very long time! Race Report

My stomach is still not 100% but at least I was able to get out there.

2016-04-18 4:13 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by spudone Done in ~4:31, 30th in her division.

Wow, that's great!  Wishing her a speedy recovery.

2016-04-18 5:06 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

2016-04-18 5:27 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by spudone Done in ~4:31, 30th in her division.

Wow, that's great!  Wishing her a speedy recovery.

congrats to your mom!

2016-04-18 6:12 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by marysia83 (...suddenly, I become weirdly interested in marathons....)

Yeah and Boston is a particularly interesting one! You really have to be careful on the course and not be seduced into running those first 10 miles too fast. You also have to be careful not to hold back too much either as a slight positive split is pretty natural, given the profile. 

And of course the weather. Always unpredictable. 

This year for me was a bit lackluster in terms of the elite field since it's an Olympic year. All of the best Americans aren't racing since they had the trials in Jan (so they are either recovering  or are training for the Olympics) It is cool for those second tier athletes to get a chance to shine though. 

2016-04-18 6:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by marysia83 (...suddenly, I become weirdly interested in marathons....)

Yeah and Boston is a particularly interesting one! You really have to be careful on the course and not be seduced into running those first 10 miles too fast. You also have to be careful not to hold back too much either as a slight positive split is pretty natural, given the profile. 

And of course the weather. Always unpredictable. 

This year for me was a bit lackluster in terms of the elite field since it's an Olympic year. All of the best Americans aren't racing since they had the trials in Jan (so they are either recovering  or are training for the Olympics) It is cool for those second tier athletes to get a chance to shine though. 

yeah, i was disappointed our top marathoners were not there.

2016-04-18 6:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
, California

Well, I got a 2 word text from my mom "achilles s**t".  But I talked to her later and she said yeah it was killing her on the downhills and she thinks the first 10k really aggravated it.  But on the bright side, she still qualified for next year   (It's 4:40 for her AG).  I think she has revenge on her mind.

She had another race coming up May 1 but she's probably dropping it to get healed up.

2016-04-18 7:46 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by brigby1

There is a little one right by you in October.

ha ha... I am secretly aiming to Naperville one in October... thanks for reading my mind I was planning to fight that beast next year, but i actually liked half-marathon experience (I can't believe I said that...). Triathlon is my priority, so once I'm done with Chicago Tri in August, I will try to focus on running training towards October full course. I already checked the Higdon's beginner plan and I will be very close to what he has scheduled for the last 1.5 month. In the meantime (now to September) I will be working on the strong running base anyway. So we shall see It would be exciting.

Certainly going after things this year! The smaller event size should be nicer too, though I'll say that pretty much all the time. 

2016-04-18 7:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

ha ha... I am secretly aiming to Naperville one in October... thanks for reading my mind I was planning to fight that beast next year, but i actually liked half-marathon experience (I can't believe I said that...). Triathlon is my priority, so once I'm done with Chicago Tri in August, I will try to focus on running training towards October full course. I already checked the Higdon's beginner plan and I will be very close to what he has scheduled for the last 1.5 month. In the meantime (now to September) I will be working on the strong running base anyway. So we shall see It would be exciting.

Certainly going after things this year! The smaller event size should be nicer too, though I'll say that pretty much all the time. 

I really enjoy the smaller races. The big ones are thrilling for sure but I see that more as an every 5 year type of thing vs year after year. 

I also share the half-marathon sentiment. I love that distance. The marathon is one to be experienced for sure but it can be so tricky! Lots of variables to come together in one single day and the ability to get back out there and do another if you have a bad day isn't really there. But I think part of the beauty of your first is to come in with no pressure to best your time rather, eyes looking toward completion.

2016-04-18 8:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Yay Janyne and Spudmum, sorry I missed stalking you both but unfortunately I had to go to bed - damn time differences.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-04-18 8:40 PM
2016-04-18 8:55 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I got a text from my adopted sister this morning telling me that she is now going to run the HM in August. She had planned to do it with my mum and K but she said that K and I have inspired her to start running again.

On Sunday she did her first run/walk. She did 11km of 2/1 (her and mum have been walking since Jan and this was the distance that was on their plan). The really exciting part of this is that 5 years ago (aged 35) she was discharged from the spinal ward with a catheter, leg braces and a zimmer frame and was told to get used to it because that was how she was going to spend the rest of her life.

2016-04-18 10:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado

I think it was actually you who told me you liked smaller, local races (last year, in TT, I believe). I love local races. I hate crowds and the whole "corporate" spirit. I think the only "big" race I really, really like is Chicago Triathlon (although, I did it only once), because it is very well organized, has fantastic and enthusiastic volunteers, and the amount of people is not overwhelming.
Which HM do you think of doing this fall? Chicago or Naperville? Or something else?
2016-04-18 10:12 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

I got a text from my adopted sister this morning telling me that she is now going to run the HM in August. She had planned to do it with my mum and K but she said that K and I have inspired her to start running again.

On Sunday she did her first run/walk. She did 11km of 2/1 (her and mum have been walking since Jan and this was the distance that was on their plan). The really exciting part of this is that 5 years ago (aged 35) she was discharged from the spinal ward with a catheter, leg braces and a zimmer frame and was told to get used to it because that was how she was going to spend the rest of her life.

That sounds so inspiring! I am so happy for her Does she live far away from you?
Btw, I was actually thinking of you today, as today is the last day of tax season in US. Is it over for you too?
2016-04-18 10:16 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I really enjoy the smaller races. The big ones are thrilling for sure but I see that more as an every 5 year type of thing vs year after year. 

I also share the half-marathon sentiment. I love that distance. The marathon is one to be experienced for sure but it can be so tricky! Lots of variables to come together in one single day and the ability to get back out there and do another if you have a bad day isn't really there. But I think part of the beauty of your first is to come in with no pressure to best your time rather, eyes looking toward completion.

That's exactly my concern, Salty. I worry that I got over-excited with HM and may set up myself for a huge disaster and disappointment (not to mention injury...) I am going to focus on triathlon training and will see how where things are at the end of August. Like you said - plenty of things may go wrong or unplanned during the race - and the same for the training. I have a beautiful plan laid out for the next few months, but I know I will have tons of camping during summer, activities with kids and friends, trip to Poland and Washington, then days when the weather is bad or I get sick.
Given all of that I am trying to stay calm and conservative
2016-04-18 10:17 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Speaking of Washington, is there anyone here from Washington DC area? I will be there for a conference in the second week of August and would love to meet
2016-04-19 8:05 AM

Master
Northern IL

I think it was actually you who told me you liked smaller, local races (last year, in TT, I believe). I love local races. I hate crowds and the whole "corporate" spirit. I think the only "big" race I really, really like is Chicago Triathlon (although, I did it only once), because it is very well organized, has fantastic and enthusiastic volunteers, and the amount of people is not overwhelming. Which HM do you think of doing this fall? Chicago or Naperville? Or something else?

That does sound like me! I don't really have anything specific planned for this year. And don't even have a pool of events to pick from that I usually do either, although I still remember loads of events. Will probably end up getting into some smaller/local style 5-10k races in the fall. Nothing longer for awhile. Really want to build back into a solid running program and take care of some issues that were showing up over the past couple years. It seems easier to address them now since I'm so far down from where I was a few years ago. Don't have to get back there to race again, but would like to be handling a number of miles and harder workouts fairly regular first. Want to have some good momentum built up and be sure of being able to handle it. Pretty sure my brother and especially my sister will want to do something too.

2016-04-19 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

I am always in awe of people who can overcome such adversity and find the strength to work their way out of a serious medical issue. It is so easy to get caught up into those type of issues and let it beat a person down into a depression and poor quality of life. Kudos to your sister and good job to you being a positive role model..
2016-04-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by StaceyK I got a text from my adopted sister this morning telling me that she is now going to run the HM in August. She had planned to do it with my mum and K but she said that K and I have inspired her to start running again. On Sunday she did her first run/walk. She did 11km of 2/1 (her and mum have been walking since Jan and this was the distance that was on their plan). The really exciting part of this is that 5 years ago (aged 35) she was discharged from the spinal ward with a catheter, leg braces and a zimmer frame and was told to get used to it because that was how she was going to spend the rest of her life.
I am always in awe of people who can overcome such adversity and find the strength to work their way out of a serious medical issue. It is so easy to get caught up into those type of issues and let it beat a person down into a depression and poor quality of life. Kudos to your sister and good job to you being a positive role model..

This made my day. Go Sis!

2016-04-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member
2016-04-19 9:25 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK I got a text from my adopted sister this morning telling me that she is now going to run the HM in August. She had planned to do it with my mum and K but she said that K and I have inspired her to start running again. On Sunday she did her first run/walk. She did 11km of 2/1 (her and mum have been walking since Jan and this was the distance that was on their plan). The really exciting part of this is that 5 years ago (aged 35) she was discharged from the spinal ward with a catheter, leg braces and a zimmer frame and was told to get used to it because that was how she was going to spend the rest of her life.

Really good stuff!!      

2016-04-19 9:26 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

How could one not smile at that?!  Wow, very impressive lady!

2016-04-19 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Speaking of Washington, is there anyone here from Washington DC area? I will be there for a conference in the second week of August and would love to meet

Mary, I'm in the VA suburbs outside DC. I actually live inside the Beltway. We should absolutely meet up. Be warned...DC in August is usually quite humid!
2016-04-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marysia83 Speaking of Washington, is there anyone here from Washington DC area? I will be there for a conference in the second week of August and would love to meet

I think Judi and Laura are possibly relatively close (different parts of VA) and DC is a little over 2 hours from me.  Are you there over a weekend or just during the week? If you are there over a weekend, maybe we could do a little mid-Atlantic region manatee meet-up!

Edited by melbo55 2016-04-19 9:31 AM
2016-04-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by marysia83 Speaking of Washington, is there anyone here from Washington DC area? I will be there for a conference in the second week of August and would love to meet

I think Judi and Laura are possibly relatively close (different parts of VA) and DC is a little over 2 hours from me.  Are you there over a weekend or just during the week? If you are there over a weekend, maybe we could do a little mid-Atlantic region manatee meet-up!

The conference is during a week ugh.... But I will make an argument that I should attend a workshop on Sunday, so there is a chance I would come over the weekend I can always some on Saturday to have a day for myself and meet with you guys! That would be exciting ))
2016-04-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Atlantia

Mary, I'm in the VA suburbs outside DC. I actually live inside the Beltway. We should absolutely meet up. Be warned...DC in August is usually quite humid!

Humid is a middle name of Chicago
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.