BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-08 4:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Buckshot

Originally posted by jenstewey

Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by amd723

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

I'm one of the sufferfest people Janyne mentioned! I've used Zwift and Trainer Road and Rouvy in the past too. For me, Sufferfest is the best workout and I've seen more gains using it.  I also like the yoga workouts that come with the plan. That said when I was a zwift person I didn't get into the organized races, but understand that those could be fun!  I bought a new trainer over the holidays and it came with a free 30 day trial for zwift, so I may use it and try out the races to see if I want to spend the extra money for those.  I believe all the platforms have free trials, so I encourage you to test them all to see which is the best fit for you.

YES! Do the free trials!

Can any of these be used with an apple tv or amazon fire stick instead of a laptop/computer?

I was looking at the differences in these various apps this morning and came across this article that specifically discusses Apple TV use for each of them (at least as of last March): https://completetri.com/zwift-vs-sufferfest-vs-trainerroad-vs-peloto...

This article is great, thank you!  It's looking like Zwift and the NPE Cable that Janyne mentioned might do the trick!  

Yes, that was a very good article. I like TrainerRoad for the training plans. They do have beginner, low volume plans. I have not been using it the last year or so but will start up soon. TrainerRoad will have you do an FTP test and based upon that, it will adjust the intensity in the program. I believe you can explore the programs without a membership. By explore, I mean that you can view the hour/rides per week and a description of the plan. I think you can also look at a graph of the workouts. I usually use my iPhone to drive the trainer and watch something on Netflix. I was just thinking it might be fun to integrate Zwift as a change. I don't think Zwift has the training plans that the other two have. I might try Sufferfest based upon the recommendations here. I could use my AppleTV for Zwift and probably stream Sufferfest.

could someone come to my house and connect my computer to my tv to my kikr snap so I can use one of these wonderful  apps? I have spent numerous hours trying to get sufferfest (my favorite) and Zwift  to connect appropriately to my trainer. I gave up and just ride. Makes having a smart trainer kinda worthless.

Clearly we need another Manatee Meetup!

While I'm definitely in favor of another Manatee Meetup, perhaps peruse these links in the place of me taking a very long drive.   And my apologies if you've already looked at or tried any of these without success.

https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc/en-us/articles/210117746-Connecting-Wahoo-Trainers

This one doesn't offer much in the 'how to' department but might add something (use 'Jump To' on the left hand side of the article to get to Sufferfest)... https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFBNHOFdr10

Are you using a laptop as the computer as you ride or a tablet/phone?

2020-01-08 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

Originally posted by juniperjen

Question for the group: might there be interest in a JoGo challenge? We have done this in the past to provide some accountability for certain goals: weight, activity frequency, etc

Being new here, I'm not familiar with what a JoGo challenge is. Can someone explain what it is?  --Tom

Well, it started off as a do something every day for a month (you get to decide what "something" is) back when we had a Manatee whose username was JoGo.  In the recent past, it has morphed more into a Pick Your Own challenge -- weight and/or keep on moving and/or eating well and/or strength/core/yoga.

What we need to decide is the dates.  Do we want to start next Monday?  And how many weeks to we want?  Last year it was Jan 14-Mar 2 or something.  (Yes, I found the spreadsheet)

OK, I did not forget about this, but I did have to do a bit of cleanup to the sheet from last year. Here is the link to the most recent version of the JoGo Manatee Challenge sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ceMf8W9oB3piW2e9nUXrL7qmFJ8jteUl02gHmwU9Ds4/edit?usp=sharing 

There are 5 different options on there, Good Eats, Keep Moving, Weight Loss, Distance Traveled, and Yoga/Strength/Core. There are instructions at the top of each sheet in the Challenge Workbook. If you need a hand, let me or Janyne know, we can get through most of it. Feel free to enter how ever many you like. I know my name will show up yet again in the weight loss challenge  and maybe this year I will do the distance traveled or Keep Moving. We  do need to choose a start date and a duration. Currently it is set to start on Jan 13th and run for 6 weeks, but we can easily change that if needed.

2020-01-08 5:23 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Question for the group: might there be interest in a JoGo challenge? We have done this in the past to provide some accountability for certain goals: weight, activity frequency, etc

Being new here, I'm not familiar with what a JoGo challenge is. Can someone explain what it is?  --Tom

Well, it started off as a do something every day for a month (you get to decide what "something" is) back when we had a Manatee whose username was JoGo.  In the recent past, it has morphed more into a Pick Your Own challenge -- weight and/or keep on moving and/or eating well and/or strength/core/yoga.

What we need to decide is the dates.  Do we want to start next Monday?  And how many weeks to we want?  Last year it was Jan 14-Mar 2 or something.  (Yes, I found the spreadsheet)

OK, I did not forget about this, but I did have to do a bit of cleanup to the sheet from last year. Here is the link to the most recent version of the JoGo Manatee Challenge sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ceMf8W9oB3piW2e9nUXrL7qmFJ8jteUl02gHmwU9Ds4/edit?usp=sharing 

There are 5 different options on there, Good Eats, Keep Moving, Weight Loss, Distance Traveled, and Yoga/Strength/Core. There are instructions at the top of each sheet in the Challenge Workbook. If you need a hand, let me or Janyne know, we can get through most of it. Feel free to enter how ever many you like. I know my name will show up yet again in the weight loss challenge  and maybe this year I will do the distance traveled or Keep Moving. We  do need to choose a start date and a duration. Currently it is set to start on Jan 13th and run for 6 weeks, but we can easily change that if needed.

Woo hoo! Thanks for doing this!

2020-01-08 6:28 PM

Hi! I'm Jill, an out of shape wife, mama, dog lover and journalist who has completed several sprint triathlons (I do the Gold Nugget every May), complete one half marathon (Mayor's Midnight Sun) and one full marathon (Honolulu Marathon). I am molassas slow.

You can find me on insta, facebook and twitter, although my personal facebook is pvt. Msg me and if I recognize you I will add you.

I am a former skier, soccer & basketball player, hiker - but that life seems aeons ago. Now, I'm overweight, stressed out, my knees are grouchy and I have a hard time figuring out where in my day I can fit work outs in. My 5+ kids (it's complicated) range in age from 6 to 25.

Current training: zilch. Just renewed BT membership and created a custom plan.

I plan to do this year's Gold Nugget Tri, a sprint triahtlon in Anchorage. Would love to also at some point do a tri with open water.

I would like to find a supportive group that can help me problem solve, keep motivated, and do an intervention with my nutrition.

I love the year-over-year committment of the manatees to keep mentoring and encouraging. I think I will be a fun addition but mostly I REALLY NEED YOU!!

2020-01-08 6:32 PM
in reply to: chillyjilly

User image

Master

Originally posted by chillyjilly Hi! I'm Jill, an out of shape wife, mama, dog lover and journalist who has completed several sprint triathlons (I do the Gold Nugget every May), complete one half marathon (Mayor's Midnight Sun) and one full marathon (Honolulu Marathon). I am molassas slow. You can find me on insta, facebook and twitter, although my personal facebook is pvt. Msg me and if I recognize you I will add you. I am a former skier, soccer & basketball player, hiker - but that life seems aeons ago. Now, I'm overweight, stressed out, my knees are grouchy and I have a hard time figuring out where in my day I can fit work outs in. My 5+ kids (it's complicated) range in age from 6 to 25. Current training: zilch. Just renewed BT membership and created a custom plan. I plan to do this year's Gold Nugget Tri, a sprint triahtlon in Anchorage. Would love to also at some point do a tri with open water. I would like to find a supportive group that can help me problem solve, keep motivated, and do an intervention with my nutrition. I love the year-over-year committment of the manatees to keep mentoring and encouraging. I think I will be a fun addition but mostly I REALLY NEED YOU!!

Welcome Jill.  You want support, motivation and a little arse kicking when needed, you have come to the right place   The JoGo challenge is a great kickstart to the year to get you going too!

2020-01-08 6:33 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by cdban66

Thanks Chris!

2020-01-08 6:50 PM

Originally posted by chillyjilly

Hi! I'm Jill, an out of shape wife, mama, dog lover and journalist who has completed several sprint triathlons (I do the Gold Nugget every May), complete one half marathon (Mayor's Midnight Sun) and one full marathon (Honolulu Marathon). I am molassas slow.

You can find me on insta, facebook and twitter, although my personal facebook is pvt. Msg me and if I recognize you I will add you.

I am a former skier, soccer & basketball player, hiker - but that life seems aeons ago. Now, I'm overweight, stressed out, my knees are grouchy and I have a hard time figuring out where in my day I can fit work outs in. My 5+ kids (it's complicated) range in age from 6 to 25.

I plan to do this year's Gold Nugget Tri, a sprint triahtlon in Anchorage. Would love to also at some point do a tri with open water.

I would like to find a supportive group that can help me problem solve, keep motivated, and do an intervention with my nutrition.

I love the year-over-year committment of the manatees to keep mentoring and encouraging. I think I will be a fun addition but mostly I REALLY NEED YOU!!

Woohooo....another Alaskan!!!! Welcome to the club Jill. I joined this group just a few days ago and am in much the same boat as you in terms of needing the mentoring and encouragement, although you are a few tri's ahead of me.
2020-01-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Jill!

2020-01-09 9:15 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by chillyjilly

Welcome Jill! You found the best spot ))
2020-01-09 9:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by alaskatri

Originally posted by amd723

I do have a question for the group.  How many of you use Zwift?  I have never and am thinking about it as I start riding again.  I live in MN and won't be outside until April for sure.  I subscribe to TrainerRoad and will use a plan on from their library. I believe I can TrainerRoad to "drive" my Kickr and still ride on Zwift?  Is Zwift worth the price and does anyone use both TrainerRoad and Zwift?  Thanks for any advice.

I'm one of the sufferfest people Janyne mentioned! I've used Zwift and Trainer Road and Rouvy in the past too. For me, Sufferfest is the best workout and I've seen more gains using it.  I also like the yoga workouts that come with the plan. That said when I was a zwift person I didn't get into the organized races, but understand that those could be fun!  I bought a new trainer over the holidays and it came with a free 30 day trial for zwift, so I may use it and try out the races to see if I want to spend the extra money for those.  I believe all the platforms have free trials, so I encourage you to test them all to see which is the best fit for you.

YES! Do the free trials!

Can any of these be used with an apple tv or amazon fire stick instead of a laptop/computer?

I was looking at the differences in these various apps this morning and came across this article that specifically discusses Apple TV use for each of them (at least as of last March): https://completetri.com/zwift-vs-sufferfest-vs-trainerroad-vs-peloto...

This article is great, thank you!  It's looking like Zwift and the NPE Cable that Janyne mentioned might do the trick!  

Yes, that was a very good article. I like TrainerRoad for the training plans. They do have beginner, low volume plans. I have not been using it the last year or so but will start up soon. TrainerRoad will have you do an FTP test and based upon that, it will adjust the intensity in the program. I believe you can explore the programs without a membership. By explore, I mean that you can view the hour/rides per week and a description of the plan. I think you can also look at a graph of the workouts. I usually use my iPhone to drive the trainer and watch something on Netflix. I was just thinking it might be fun to integrate Zwift as a change. I don't think Zwift has the training plans that the other two have. I might try Sufferfest based upon the recommendations here. I could use my AppleTV for Zwift and probably stream Sufferfest.

could someone come to my house and connect my computer to my tv to my kikr snap so I can use one of these wonderful  apps? I have spent numerous hours trying to get sufferfest (my favorite) and Zwift  to connect appropriately to my trainer. I gave up and just ride. Makes having a smart trainer kinda worthless.

Clearly we need another Manatee Meetup!

While I'm definitely in favor of another Manatee Meetup, perhaps peruse these links in the place of me taking a very long drive.   And my apologies if you've already looked at or tried any of these without success.

https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc/en-us/articles/210117746-Connecting-Wahoo-Trainers

This one doesn't offer much in the 'how to' department but might add something (use 'Jump To' on the left hand side of the article to get to Sufferfest)... https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFBNHOFdr10

Are you using a laptop as the computer as you ride or a tablet/phone?

Thanks! I'll look into it and then... maybe... contact them and have the walk me through it again.

2020-01-09 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by chillyjilly Hi! I'm Jill, an out of shape wife, mama, dog lover and journalist who has completed several sprint triathlons (I do the Gold Nugget every May), complete one half marathon (Mayor's Midnight Sun) and one full marathon (Honolulu Marathon). I am molassas slow. You can find me on insta, facebook and twitter, although my personal facebook is pvt. Msg me and if I recognize you I will add you. I am a former skier, soccer & basketball player, hiker - but that life seems aeons ago. Now, I'm overweight, stressed out, my knees are grouchy and I have a hard time figuring out where in my day I can fit work outs in. My 5+ kids (it's complicated) range in age from 6 to 25. Current training: zilch. Just renewed BT membership and created a custom plan. I plan to do this year's Gold Nugget Tri, a sprint triahtlon in Anchorage. Would love to also at some point do a tri with open water. I would like to find a supportive group that can help me problem solve, keep motivated, and do an intervention with my nutrition. I love the year-over-year committment of the manatees to keep mentoring and encouraging. I think I will be a fun addition but mostly I REALLY NEED YOU!!
Welcome! This is a great group and you and I have a lot in common!

2020-01-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have succumbed to the dreaded flu. It is miserable. My body has never hurt this badly.

In 15.5 years of teaching, I've taken 2 sick days. This week alone, I've taken 3.

Stay healthy, my manatee friends.
2020-01-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

NAME: rmschwartz518/ Rob Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/10459503

STORY: I was planning on doing a triathlon for almost 10 years. Finally, about 5 years ago, I suffered through my first sprint. While the suffering was real, so was the enjoyment and is now a key part to my wellness - mentally, physically, socially, and emotionally. Truth is, I was inspired by my 8 year old daughter when she completed her first tri - story here on BT - https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2727

Since then, I've completed numerous sprints and olympics and 3 70.3 races.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married with two amazing kids (boy/girl twins) who keep me active and engaged and inspire me to be better everyday.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm a morning person and my training reflects that. I currently train 6-9 hours a week with a rest day every other week. I'm up at 5:30, training by 6 and off to work by 8. Sometimes I double with a night time session. I blend a masters swim program, with a Zwift workout plan, and running on my own, along with strength work once or twice a week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My last race was a 72.3 in Oregon called Beastman last July. The course was intentionally 2 miles longer on the bike.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm currently training for Oceanside 70.3 and toying with the idea of an Ironman in the fall. I'll throw in a couple of Olympics throughout the summer and probably some OW US Masters swims and perhaps a running race or two.

WHY I'D BE A GOOD MANATEE: This is my first year as a mentor on this forum and saw that this thread is humming. I'm here to learn and hopefully contribute to the larger group.
2020-01-09 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs I have succumbed to the dreaded flu. It is miserable. My body has never hurt this badly. In 15.5 years of teaching, I've taken 2 sick days. This week alone, I've taken 3. Stay healthy, my manatee friends.

Take care!

2020-01-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome, Rob!

2020-01-09 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Take care! We have had absenteeism (for kids, at least) as high as 30% just before and just after winter break in some classes, mostly due to illness. Not sure if it's all the same virus--we seem to have strep, flu, sinus colds, AND tummy bugs all circulating at the same time. This year's flu actually seems to hit the kiddos harder than the adults.

2020-01-09 10:37 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs I have succumbed to the dreaded flu. It is miserable. My body has never hurt this badly. In 15.5 years of teaching, I've taken 2 sick days. This week alone, I've taken 3. Stay healthy, my manatee friends.

Oh noooo!!!  Ugh, sorry to hear.  I can appreciate the hurt--I had a flu a few years back where even my toe joints hurt.  Take good care.

2020-01-09 10:38 PM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Master

Welcome Rob!

2020-01-10 6:10 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Take care! We have had absenteeism (for kids, at least) as high as 30% just before and just after winter break in some classes, mostly due to illness. Not sure if it's all the same virus--we seem to have strep, flu, sinus colds, AND tummy bugs all circulating at the same time. This year's flu actually seems to hit the kiddos harder than the adults.

I don't know how you teachers do it!

2020-01-10 6:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Friday! 

I was getting ready to check in with the Pod, as I normally do once or twice a week, and I wanted to talk about Inspires a bit.  We Manatees do that a lot!

You can tell if you have any Inspires by looking at the upper right corner of the BT site. If there is a number, you have an Inspire -- or maybe a private message but normally an Inspire.

The Inspire will also be associated with a date on your training log.  That way people can comment on your workout or blog comments.

To reply to an Inspire, use the Reply button, otherwise, you're just talking to yourself.  The Reply button will put your response in the commenter's Inspires and keep the conversation going.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-10 6:31 AM
2020-01-10 6:37 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Happy Friday! 

I was getting ready to check in with the Pod, as I normally do once or twice a week, and I wanted to talk about Inspires a bit.  We Manatees do that a lot!

You can tell if you have any Inspires by looking at the upper right corner of the BT site. If there is a number, you have an Inspire -- or maybe a private message but normally an Inspire.

The Inspire will also be associated with a date on your training log.  That way people can comment on your workout or blog comments.

To reply to an Inspire, use the Reply button, otherwise, you're just talking to yourself.  The Reply button will put your response in the commenter's Inspires and keep the conversation going.

Funny you mention this, I just welcomed our new members through the Inspires. 

We are gearing up for this year's Challenge. The sheet can be found here: 

We'll start on Monday, so if you have any questions, please let us know. 

Enjoy what ever the day has for you and have a happy Friday.

2020-01-10 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've just closed the group to new members in advance of the start of the JoGo.

2020-01-10 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Happy Friday! 

inspires are one of the best things about BT. I have never seen anything like it on other sites.
2020-01-10 9:06 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

2020-01-10 9:09 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

January 11-2
Chris - Hamster Wheel

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Chris, you're racing in my classroom? (The blowers aka "heater" sounds like about 50 hamsters are running on a wheel right now. Of course the heater guy says he can't hear the noise so it must be in my head. It must be in about 250 kids' heads as well because they all complain as soon as they walk in my room)

Good luck Chris!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127