of 171

2011-02-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3334651

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
Redknight - 2011-02-02 5:24 AM

In regards to swimming you should be basically looking at the bottom of the pool perhaps just a little bit ahead of you. Secondly rolling from side to side is good if you are doing it correctly. It allows one to remain as aerodynamic in the water as possible. Think of walking against the wind. If you turn sideways to the wind you can cut through it more easily. The same is true for swimming. The less resistance you present to the water going forward the faster you will go or the less energy it will take to go the same speed. In swimming the most important thing is technique. I think you will find that a lot of us on here have had at least a  few lessons to get better. I'm sure Suzy, for one,  can attest to the value of a good swim coach. She didn't get her name because she always swam like a fish. (sorry Suzy couldn't resist the little (hee hee) dig)

No offense taken!  While I can seemingly swim forever, I'm still too slow for my liking.   Once again, I'll be breaking down my form with my new coach to see what's holding me back.  Little by little, I'll get there.

Got to do my first ocean swim yesterday.  Last year at this same beach, I was worrying about breathing and surviving, this year I was thinking about kicking and keeping my left elbow high enough.  Sometimes you don't realize you've made progress in ways other than the clock.    That was one of those great moments.  Like I said, little by little....

As far as swim coaches go, a good one is invaluable.  I have had several.  Each one has given me a little something, but then we peak and I need to move on....

2011-02-02 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Champion

You probably thought with the Hawaiian breezes blowing in my face, I would forget what today is....but I haven't!  WHO THE HECK IS RACING THIS WEEKEND?  And you better have some details to share.

For the rest of us slackers, do you watch tv, use music or have to have companions when you train? what's your philosophy on the topic?

2011-02-02 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3335016

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-02-02 9:50 AM

You probably thought with the Hawaiian breezes blowing in my face, I would forget what today is....but I haven't!  WHO THE HECK IS RACING THIS WEEKEND?  And you better have some details to share.

For the rest of us slackers, do you watch tv, use music or have to have companions when you train? what's your philosophy on the topic?

Not racing ANYWHERE in this blizzard.  Ick.

When I'm biking on the trainer, I always watch SportsCenter since it's always between 5-7am.  I know when the loop is done that I'm almost done with my ride, since it's been about an hour.  On the weekends, I'll throw in a movie for a long ride.  If I'm on the treadmill, which is hardly ever because we don't own one and I hate them anyway, I will use whatever is available at that gym, whether it's tv or music.  When I'm outside, no music ever.  I used to always, but I actually started doing better without it, and I like how peaceful it can be without music.  When I swim, the lifeguards do always have the radio on, but not like I can hear it anyway.

In terms of companions, Ryan and Nadie are my workout buddies.  When I was first getting into tris, Ryan was always training with me for motivation, but now, I need him less and less.  Our only workouts together now are an occasional pool workout and some long weekend trainer rides.  Nadie goes with me on every run though.

Philosophy?  I just like having company and hate being by myself.  Having a training partner (man or dog) is great motivation though.  To each their own.
2011-02-02 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
No racing for me. My earliest might be mid-April.

I am not a TM hater. With having to go through PT I have even found a certain preference for the TM. It is a softer surface, I can better control the speed and elevation, and I can do it regardless of the weather. Having said that I must have headphones! my neighborhood has its own small gym w/ 3 Tm's. There is a mix of people but about half the time there is a woman I call "Linda Richmand" like Mike Meyer's character from SNL. All she does is drink coffee and talk REAL LOUD! Without the headphones to drown her out I might have to kill her!

I run alone for the most part. I prefer to bike alone or with Marty my coach. Swimming is solo until today when group swims began. It was kinda fun.
2011-02-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3335093

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Not racing this weekend or any weekend in the near foreseeable future it seems.

As far as training, I can only tolerate approximately an hour on the trainer.  Fortunately there is adequate opportunity to get outdoors some and get some longer rides in when the weather is good...hopefully it will warm up in a couple more weeks here in alabama (PHIL SAW HIS SHADOW!)
Usually sports center or Fox News will do it for me for that hour.

Love to get out and ride with my group.  This will usually give me a good 2 hour ride available several times a week and a longer one on the weekend.  I always swim with my masters group and really like that.

My running is normally done alone, as it is hard to find someone else as slow as I am, but I am working on it.

2011-02-02 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-02-02 10:50 AM

No race for me.

When I'm on the trainer I watch movies, Netflix, DVD's of old bike races, or whatever I have.  Good to pass the time.

When I'm outside running, I normally bring along the ipod for podcasts and such, really the only time I ever have to listen to them.

2011-02-02 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Not racing this weekend and yes yes and yes to your questions. I love working with others whenever I can but next to that music or TV if a long trainer ride.

Suzy you're lucky you're in Hawaii right now. I have just been outside to clear my driveway a second time today and will probably have to do it again before my wife gets home from work. Most snow we have seen at one time this year.

Edited by Redknight 2011-02-02 11:59 AM
2011-02-02 12:19 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

I'm racing.  It's a one woman show but a very important 26km race simulation for my "A" race in March.  So in my mind it's a race.  My plan is mimic my race morning inc. Sat bedtime, AM breakfast, race warmup, start time and raceday nutrition.  My coach gave me instructions to hold marathon pace (8:35) for 10 miles then drop the hammer for the last 6 miles. 

I am supposed to run my race as hard as I can and maintain my pace.  If I cannot maintain my goal marathon pace, he wants me to bag the run.

As far as training, I'm happy with whatever.  On the trainer, it's more important to me to have something to watch or listen to b/c it can be so boring.  I can run by myself, with a friend and w/ or w/o music.  Depends on my mood. 

Edited by sdalessio 2011-02-02 2:09 PM
2011-02-02 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3335381

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2011-02-02 12:19 PM

I'm racing.  It's a one woman show but a very important 26km race simulation for my "A" race in March.  So in my mind it's a race.  My plan is mimic my race morning inc. Sat bedtime, AM breakfast, race warmup, start time and raceday nutrition.  My coach gave me instructions to hold marathon pace (8:35) for 10 miles then drop the hammer for the last 6 miles. 

I am supposed to run my race as hard as I can and maintain my pace.  If I cannot maintain my goal marathon pace, he wants to bag the run.

As far as training, I'm happy with whatever.  On the trainer, it is more important to have something to watch or listen b/c it can be so boring.  I can run by myself, with a friend and w/ or w/o music.  Depends on my mood. 

Good luck Sam!  Use you mantra to get you through it when the going gets tough!
2011-02-02 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
sdalessio - 2011-02-02 10:19 AM

I am supposed to run my race as hard as I can and maintain my pace.  If I cannot maintain my goal marathon pace, he wants me to bag the run.

As far as training, I'm happy with whatever.  On the trainer, it's more important to me to have something to watch or listen to b/c it can be so boring.  I can run by myself, with a friend and w/ or w/o music.  Depends on my mood. 

Good luck, Sam!  You can do it! 

No racing for me, but a tough long run on Saturday which I am not letting myself think about too much until Friday.  It seems much less daunting to take things one day at a time.

Music on the trainer, especially for harder efforts...but often I will have ESPN Sportscenter rolling just to have something to look at other than my feet!

No music for me while running, it seems to distract me from my cadence and breathing.  I tried running with my ipod the other day just for fun on an easy run and it felt really odd...and Ripley seemed to be less attentive to me, so I guess I will keep doing "naked" runs.  Poor multi-tasker that I am!

No companions for running but I really enjoy swimming with masters...time goes by much more quickly and it is a lot more fun than doing solitary swims...I'm sure that will be necessary later in the season.

Have a good weekend everyone!
2011-02-02 3:15 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

No racing in this stuff yuck.

I am lucky enough to have a friend/mentor that I train with. She has done a few HIM and many Tri and running races for years. Recently I am have had the opportunity to meet back up with her sister who runs marathons.

But I mainly work out with my buddy Stef. She brought her spare bike and trainer to my house its in my basement and we Tend to spin together, Go to our masters swim class together, long bike rides in the summer as well as running and swimming in OW.

However I appreciate all she has done for me. Some times we have to part ways on workouts. She is MUCH MUCH faster then me swimming and running. So we sometimes start and finish our workouts together but don't see each other inbetween.

Some of my longer runs I like to do alone. Sometimes when I am pushing further etc. I don't want to be with anyone but me. I get a short temper when I am frustrated and I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I do it alone. But most of the time she has been able to help me push past a lot of barriers I thought I couldn't.

I appreciate everything she has done. Now I plan on utilizing her sister to help improve my running as weather gets better.

2011-02-02 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Did I really just say "have a good weekend everyone?"   Crazy me...it's only Wednesday!

I am booking our flight to Boston using miles.  Right now the plan is to fly out on Friday morning and back to SF on Tuesday mid morning.  The race is on Monday.  The room is booked Fri to Tues. 

However, now I am having second thoughts and think it might be more fun to fly either the red eye on Friday night and then stay an extra day to walk around and hang out on Tuesday instead of flying right back.  I think I can still switch the hotel reservation to Sat to Wed. 

What do you guys think?  
2011-02-02 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
sdalessio - 2011-02-02 12:19 PM

My coach gave me instructions to hold marathon pace (8:35) for 10 miles then drop the hammer for the last 6 miles. 

I would think that 8:35 IS dropping the hammer for most of us mere mortals. 

2011-02-02 4:02 PM

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-02-02 7:50 AM

No racing, except around my kitchen preparing traditional SuperBowl fare for a houseful of peeps.

Let's see, trainer rides I listen to radio/music. Super-duper long trainer rides (2+ hours?) I might try to find TV to watch. Don't think I can focus on a movie when on the bike. Last year I watched The Biggest Loser during long rides. Bike rides outside, fun with friends, fine alone. Not fun with people who find needs/excuses to stop all of the time and aren't focused on getting a workout DONE. I hate wasting time. Runs? Music is fine. No music is fine, and has become more preferable on shorter runs. No music for track workouts -- I need 100% focus. Usually music or a book for a really long, easy run. Alone is fine. Friends are fine. But I prefer to do longer (15+ miles) runs alone, although I don't turn away friends if they want to join me -- I just usually don't issue invitations.
2011-02-02 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Slacker here!  No race for me this weekend.  I train alone.  I usually run with my ipod - either music or podcasts.  I imagine I will bike that way as well since most of my biking can be done on a trail.  

2011-02-02 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I am, or at least hope to be.  Supposed to be running a half-marathon -- in a trail race organized by my FIL.  But the race will likely be canceled because of the crazy weather.  Oh, well.  I am at peace with it either way.  Assuming we are racing, I am going to keep it to a nice leisurely pace, since the trails will be totally muddy.  I will probably run with my FIL to keep him company and hang out with him.  If we are not racing, I will just enjoy my time with him.

2011-02-02 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-02-02 12:50 PM

No racing for me.   I train alone most of the time, although I have a buddy I do some long rides with in the summer.   For riding on the trainer inside, I listen to tunes.   When I'm outside I will not consider listening to tunes - I want to be able to hear cars and bikes (when I'm running).   
2011-02-02 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3336144

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Just pulled the trigger on a set of Planet X race wheels.     That'll make me go faster!
2011-02-02 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3336166

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Plainsman AU - 2011-02-02 7:17 PM Just pulled the trigger on a set of Planet X race wheels.     That'll make me go faster!

Yes they will.  (Note no red font here)
2011-02-02 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3335834

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2011-02-02 3:20 PM Did I really just say "have a good weekend everyone?"   Crazy me...it's only Wednesday!

I am booking our flight to Boston using miles.  Right now the plan is to fly out on Friday morning and back to SF on Tuesday mid morning.  The race is on Monday.  The room is booked Fri to Tues. 

However, now I am having second thoughts and think it might be more fun to fly either the red eye on Friday night and then stay an extra day to walk around and hang out on Tuesday instead of flying right back.  I think I can still switch the hotel reservation to Sat to Wed. 

What do you guys think?  

Can I ammend this????  I was thinking about Kat and you may want to do what you're considering.  You will be very focused on your PR so probably won't be a ton of fun (no offense) leading up to the race.  If that's the case, you two can have more fun if you stay later and arrive later.....I wasn't focused on a PR either time, more about having the experience....just beware Boston is a ghost town after the race...lots of people leave that night.

If it were me, I would go in early and come home on Monday.  People clear out on Monday and the whole build up to race day is worth being part of.....you will be enveloped by the chaos.  Enjoy it!

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-02-02 8:37 PM
2011-02-02 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3336166

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2011-02-02 6:17 PM Just pulled the trigger on a set of Planet X race wheels.     That'll make me go faster!

16 seconds faster can't compare to training HARDER! Seriously dude, just go out and ride like the wind...

2011-02-02 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Wichita Falls
The gym opened up today!!!  I got a 30minute run on the dreadmill... better than nothing!
2011-02-02 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3334344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
tahrens - 2011-02-01 7:12 PM Aside from the minor detail of officially loosing my job, this day has ended on a very positive note. The hubby brought me roses,  I found 2 VERY COOL jobs to apply for, both my daughters are getting over their sickness, I'm making strong improvements in Master's swim classes, and our wonderful MG member DOUG transferred his REV3 registration to me!!!!   THANK YOU DOUG!!!     I'm off to have some chocolate to end the night on a very high note!!  (maybe even higher if the hubby isn't too involved in the hockey game Kiss)

Sorry to hear about your speed bump I am sure you will land on your feet soon, Glad to hear the rest of the day went well. Enjoy your chocolate
2011-02-02 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
SSMinnow - 2011-02-02 8:50 AM

Not me trying to get over this flu so I can salvage my training before my March HIM.

I train about 99.9% by myself and without music. I don't have a trainer or treadmill so I usually tough it out in the elements. except this week while feeling under the weather.

Edited by fowlmood 2011-02-02 8:24 PM
2011-02-02 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

What a beginning to February!  6th storm in 6 weeks, my husband is traveling, and I'm sick...again.  Trying to focus on the good... that Punxsutawney Phil predicted and early spring.  Please! Please! Please!  It'll take until April to melt the snow we've got already.

January's totals:
Bike:1h 30m  - 20 Mi
Run:5h 11m 03s  - 76.78 Mi
Swim:8300 Yd
Skiing:14h 30m
Not the start I had hoped for but it is what it is.  At least I'm not racing until the end of the month.

For training, I have yet to train with anyone.  I have been racing a number of races with a couple friends but we don't live that close.  I am interested in finding a group to ride with on long rides come spring and would prefer to swim with others for OWS but outside of that I'm good alone.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171