BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Yuck -9 this morning, and the wind is going to pick up today too. I like winter but not when it hurts to breath. My dogs even looked up at me this morning when going out for their morning sniff and patrol with a "Really Human, you want me to go out there" look.

I hear you!  I have a below-the-knee down coat I call the dog walking coat.  When we used to walk our dogs every morning, there were definitely days when we'd get that look.  Most of the time, though, we'd get, "What's the hold up?  We have these wonderful all-season coats and you people are just SLOW."

2015-02-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Artemis

Originally posted by mtnbikerchkAcid.blech.I've developed acid issues in the last several weeks to the point where I have an endoscopy scheduled at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure that riding so much on the trainer in aero is the root cause - but I just can't seem to get it under control. I've searched the forums and this doesn't seem that uncommon. Anyone here have that?In general my diet has very little acid in it - no chocolate, no alcohol, very little soda and only 1 16oz cups of tea a day.If I can't have tea anymore.......grumble./and rant
I had my gallbladder taken out and had lots of issues with acid before it progressed,worse. Went through the whole endoscopy/colonoscopy/swallowing study thing. GI doc found nothing. Ended up in the ER 6 months later with terrible stomach pain and a scarred gallbladder.I hope that's not the route it takes. Acid can be a really annoying problem.

EEK!!

Steve my acid issues are pretty much constant now. It's not so much the feeling of acid but more like something in my throat (which could be a sign of damage the acid has done I guess). I only drink water on my workouts (they've all been an hour or less so far). My dr said to try to eat something small first so this week I've tried to eat a banana. Not sure it's making any difference.

Stacey I'll look into that stuff, thanks.

hope everyone stays warm - this weekend the northeast is getting some record cold wind chills! awesome! (not)

have a good day!
2015-02-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by Havok

Thanks Yanti!  Busy busy busy busy O.O

I had a lot of acid reflux problems growing up...always had stomach aches but luckily grew out of it mostly.  Spicy food gets me occasionally, which sucks because I LOVE SPICY FOOD!  The pain is worth it haha

Managed a new swim record today!!! Previously it was 600 meters, and today for whatever reason my form came together and I was doing 50-100m spurts adding up to a grand total of 1,150m! 

Well, that's just all kinds of awesome

Indeed!!  Each new milestone feels so great, doesn't it?  You should be really proud of yourself!!

2015-02-12 9:43 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkAcid.blech.I've developed acid issues in the last several weeks to the point where I have an endoscopy scheduled at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure that riding so much on the trainer in aero is the root cause - but I just can't seem to get it under control. I've searched the forums and this doesn't seem that uncommon. Anyone here have that?In general my diet has very little acid in it - no chocolate, no alcohol, very little soda and only 1 16oz cups of tea a day.If I can't have tea anymore.......grumble./and rant
I had my gallbladder taken out and had lots of issues with acid before it progressed,worse. Went through the whole endoscopy/colonoscopy/swallowing study thing. GI doc found nothing. Ended up in the ER 6 months later with terrible stomach pain and a scarred gallbladder.I hope that's not the route it takes. Acid can be a really annoying problem.
EEK!! Steve my acid issues are pretty much constant now. It's not so much the feeling of acid but more like something in my throat (which could be a sign of damage the acid has done I guess). I only drink water on my workouts (they've all been an hour or less so far). My dr said to try to eat something small first so this week I've tried to eat a banana. Not sure it's making any difference. Stacey I'll look into that stuff, thanks. hope everyone stays warm - this weekend the northeast is getting some record cold wind chills! awesome! (not) have a good day!

Um, not to rub it in, but it's in the 60's here now and will be until Monday.  Next week, we should be getting some snow for a couple days, then back into the 40's.  Our January was so mild that our gas bill was 2/3 of what it usually is this time of year.  The down side is that we're already getting wildfires because it's been so dry and snow pack is way down, which doesn't bode well for this summer.

2015-02-12 10:36 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
EEK!! Steve my acid issues are pretty much constant now. It's not so much the feeling of acid but more like something in my throat (which could be a sign of damage the acid has done I guess). I only drink water on my workouts (they've all been an hour or less so far). My dr said to try to eat something small first so this week I've tried to eat a banana. Not sure it's making any difference. Stacey I'll look into that stuff, thanks. hope everyone stays warm - this weekend the northeast is getting some record cold wind chills! awesome! (not) have a good day!

Um, not to rub it in, but it's in the 60's here now and will be until Monday.  Next week, we should be getting some snow for a couple days, then back into the 40's.  Our January was so mild that our gas bill was 2/3 of what it usually is this time of year.  The down side is that we're already getting wildfires because it's been so dry and snow pack is way down, which doesn't bode well for this summer.

Bwaaahahahaha

(Screenshot_2015-02-12-09-05-04.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot_2015-02-12-09-05-04.jpg (49KB - 2 downloads)
2015-02-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

My cold seems to be getting better.  I got my sprint workout in last night, which was also my first workout with my built up PowerTap wheel.  The workout was tough, but that workout probably would have been hard even at 100%.  I have tempo efforts tonight, which should be less trying on me.

2015-02-12 11:33 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by msteiner

My cold seems to be getting better.  I got my sprint workout in last night, which was also my first workout with my built up PowerTap wheel.  The workout was tough, but that workout probably would have been hard even at 100%.  I have tempo efforts tonight, which should be less trying on me.

Glad to hear it!

Are two "hard" workouts in a row pretty typical in cycling? I know you can do a hell of a lot more intensity cycling than you can running. 

2015-02-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

We did 6 x 1200 at a little slower than 5K pace last night with 2' rest in between.

6 x 1200 is a workout most of us balk at (actually, it's usually 5 x 1200) because it takes such great pacing and endurance to execute well.  Interestingly though, I think the 2 x 1500 at 3K pace (which is WAY faster than we generally run any kind of sustained workout) that we did last week provided such a great psychological stimulus that a 1200 which is shorter and slower seemed really doable. I just had to not think about the fact there were 6 of them. 

Both my legs AND heart felt really good and strong until nearly the end. Often those long workouts leave one of the two feeling a little maxed out by the 4th or 5th rep and the final is a struggle. 

2015-02-12 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

We did 6 x 1200 at a little slower than 5K pace last night with 2' rest in between.

6 x 1200 is a workout most of us balk at (actually, it's usually 5 x 1200) because it takes such great pacing and endurance to execute well.  Interestingly though, I think the 2 x 1500 at 3K pace (which is WAY faster than we generally run any kind of sustained workout) that we did last week provided such a great psychological stimulus that a 1200 which is shorter and slower seemed really doable. I just had to not think about the fact there were 6 of them. 

Both my legs AND heart felt really good and strong until nearly the end. Often those long workouts leave one of the two feeling a little maxed out by the 4th or 5th rep and the final is a struggle. 

Wow, that sounds like quite a set. I first read that as a physio stimulus and was going to ask if it happens that fast but mental? I could totally see that.  I was telling DH last night that it's funny that 6 miles isn't a long run mentally any more.

2015-02-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job on the tough workouts Matt and Adrienne.  You're both an inspiration with how hard you work.

Yesterday was a really good day for me too.  After a warmup in the pool, started my workout with 6 x 50 and was hitting 38-39 seconds.  I think that is the fastest I've ever swam.  The evening 3 mile tempo run was also my fastest tempo to date.  Was really happy with 6:58, 6:51, 7:09.  It is an out and back with slight downhill out and slight up back.

Saturday morning I'm racing the Sedro Woolley Trail Half Marathon.  It is on a rails to trails path so very flat but also very scenic as it traverses farmland through a valley.  I'm using this more as a supported long workout than a race but it should be a lot of fun.  Weather is looking about perfect as long as the winds don't pick up. 

2015-02-12 12:38 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Great job on the tough workouts Matt and Adrienne.  You're both an inspiration with how hard you work.

Yesterday was a really good day for me too.  After a warmup in the pool, started my workout with 6 x 50 and was hitting 38-39 seconds.  I think that is the fastest I've ever swam.  The evening 3 mile tempo run was also my fastest tempo to date.  Was really happy with 6:58, 6:51, 7:09.  It is an out and back with slight downhill out and slight up back.

Saturday morning I'm racing the Sedro Woolley Trail Half Marathon.  It is on a rails to trails path so very flat but also very scenic as it traverses farmland through a valley.  I'm using this more as a supported long workout than a race but it should be a lot of fun.  Weather is looking about perfect as long as the winds don't pick up. 

That is doing pretty good!

2015-02-12 12:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

I think this is right between a couple things I've done, and yeah, it is tough!

2015-02-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Wow, that sounds like quite a set. I first read that as a physio stimulus and was going to ask if it happens that fast but mental? I could totally see that.  I was telling DH last night that it's funny that 6 miles isn't a long run mentally any more.

I think the physio effects take something like 10 days but I imagine you see some gains before that? I'm not sure. 

2015-02-12 1:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

Glad to hear it!

Are two "hard" workouts in a row pretty typical in cycling? I know you can do a hell of a lot more intensity cycling than you can running. 

It still tends to be more ideal to keep harder ones separated, but cycling can handle the harder ones being that close together much more so than running. So it kinda depends on the schedule one can keep, especially since Matt has 2 other sports to consider. Something that also helps to a degree is that the specific workouts he is doing can stress different energy systems. Matt would need to confirm, but it looks like the hard parts yesterday were going up into anaerobic plus they're done in small clusters with a few minutes really easy between each of those. The tempos will be solidly in aerobic, though how hard I'm not sure. Could be anything from equivalent marathon pacing up to like 10k or so.

Some bike racers (which I think he'll be doing), might also get used to a solid weekend of racing by putting some hard things together. Those might include some combination of crits, road races, and time trials over the same weekend.

2015-02-12 1:13 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Holy crap y'all are killing it in training! Way to go!

A couple of things:

First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit.

Second, I need more newb help with race pacing. I have a 10k coming up in a couple of weeks. My training plan called for me to run a 10k all out the same weekend that the biggest 10k event in town is happening so I signed up. But I have no idea what I should aim for time wise.

I had an hour tempo interval workout Monday. 5 x 6 min tempo, 2 minute rest. I ran ~8:00/mi for the tempos. I could have gone faster for sure. I had a 1 hour steady RPE 3-4 run today and I averaged 8:33 for the whole thing including a 5:00 warm up closer to 10:00/mi.

I'm thinking start out around 8:00/mi and then negative split it? Where should I start really kicking it into gear if I'm feeling good? Obviously I don't want to start out too fast, is 8:00/mi ok?

Thanks!
2015-02-12 1:17 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black Holy crap y'all are killing it in training! Way to go! A couple of things: First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit. Second, I need more newb help with race pacing. I have a 10k coming up in a couple of weeks. My training plan called for me to run a 10k all out the same weekend that the biggest 10k event in town is happening so I signed up. But I have no idea what I should aim for time wise. I had an hour tempo interval workout Monday. 5 x 6 min tempo, 2 minute rest. I ran ~8:00/mi for the tempos. I could have gone faster for sure. I had a 1 hour steady RPE 3-4 run today and I averaged 8:33 for the whole thing including a 5:00 warm up closer to 10:00/mi. I'm thinking start out around 8:00/mi and then negative split it? Where should I start really kicking it into gear if I'm feeling good? Obviously I don't want to start out too fast, is 8:00/mi ok? Thanks!

Great timing!

Do you have a recent race time? I think that is the best way to go about it.

2015-02-12 1:20 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Holy crap y'all are killing it in training! Way to go! A couple of things: First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit. Second, I need more newb help with race pacing. I have a 10k coming up in a couple of weeks. My training plan called for me to run a 10k all out the same weekend that the biggest 10k event in town is happening so I signed up. But I have no idea what I should aim for time wise. I had an hour tempo interval workout Monday. 5 x 6 min tempo, 2 minute rest. I ran ~8:00/mi for the tempos. I could have gone faster for sure. I had a 1 hour steady RPE 3-4 run today and I averaged 8:33 for the whole thing including a 5:00 warm up closer to 10:00/mi. I'm thinking start out around 8:00/mi and then negative split it? Where should I start really kicking it into gear if I'm feeling good? Obviously I don't want to start out too fast, is 8:00/mi ok? Thanks!

Great timing!

No, I've got nothing. That's the problem. Before I started this triathlon training last October I hadn't run farther than a 5k. I've only done training runs to this point and most of them tell me to go slow.
2015-02-12 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black

Great timing!

No, I've got nothing. That's the problem. Before I started this triathlon training last October I hadn't run farther than a 5k. I've only done training runs to this point and most of them tell me to go slow.

So you're saying that this is going to be a PR?

How do you feel about the 5k race and where you are in your current training.  I mean, if you were to do the 5k now, would that still be a good time or would you crush it?

2015-02-12 1:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Jet Black

Great timing!

So you're saying that this is going to be a PR?

How do you feel about the 5k race and where you are in your current training.  I mean, if you were to do the 5k now, would that still be a good time or would you crush it?

Absolutely will be a PR. The 5k race was a few years ago and I honestly can't even remember my time. I'm way faster now for sure though. This is literally the first time I'll be giving all out effort on a run since I started training in October.

If it helps, my garmin tells me I can run a 10k in 45:03, but I think this is based off of my V02 max which probably isn't very accurate because you're supposed to run hard for 20 minutes for that to calibrate correctly (which I haven't done).

Edit: Also my HR was steady at 160 for the entireity of my run today. That seems high to me because I felt like I could have held a conversation. I'm not sure what my max HR is though. I have seen it in the 170s but have never tried to max it out.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-02-12 1:32 PM
2015-02-12 1:32 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by brigby1

Glad to hear it!

It still tends to be more ideal to keep harder ones separated, but cycling can handle the harder ones being that close together much more so than running. So it kinda depends on the schedule one can keep, especially since Matt has 2 other sports to consider. Something that also helps to a degree is that the specific workouts he is doing can stress different energy systems. Matt would need to confirm, but it looks like the hard parts yesterday were going up into anaerobic plus they're done in small clusters with a few minutes really easy between each of those. The tempos will be solidly in aerobic, though how hard I'm not sure. Could be anything from equivalent marathon pacing up to like 10k or so.

Some bike racers (which I think he'll be doing), might also get used to a solid weekend of racing by putting some hard things together. Those might include some combination of crits, road races, and time trials over the same weekend.

Short answer to Salty's question - yes.  You can do back to back hard workouts in Cycling.

Longer answer (referencing the bold)

This is true.  Yesterday's workout was a descending interval workout with 4 sets of 60"/45"/30"/15" sprints with equal rest and a 5 minute recovery between sets.  For those I'm bouncing between 400-500 Watts, which is of course well into anaerobic.

Today I'll be doing 4x10' at Tempo, which will be between 210 and 230 Watts.  

I also do the same descending interval set as part of my long ride Friday or Saturday, and I'll finish the week off with a more moderate Z2 ride on Sunday.  The idea of the plan I'm on is to improve my sprint, as I'll be needing that for Crits. 

2015-02-12 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I can tell you that it's better to start out conservative and build vs going out too fast and spiraling to a slow death.  I have lots of data on this!

2015-02-12 1:49 PM

User image

Seattle

If anyone was considering donating to my charity hockey game, the next 15 minutes is ideal because the amount we raise by then will dictate how early I have to get up and play next Saturday. The more money, the later the game. We don't want a cranky Adrienne DO WE??? 

http://rmhchockeychallenge.causevox.com/adrienne-salzwedel

2015-02-12 1:50 PM

User image

Seattle

I can tell you that it's better to start out conservative and build vs going out too fast and spiraling to a slow death.  I have lots of data on this!

Yes, yes. I agree with that! Ha.

2015-02-12 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, best to go out a little conservative, especially with this being your first one.  Don't get sucked into the first mile adrenaline rush.  Let other people do their thing and if you get passed let'em go.  Stick to your planned pace early.  It is more satisfying to pass late in a race.

For a 10k, I focus on my first half pace trying to hit my target (first half run with your head).  I'll very gradually pick it up from there if I'm feeling really good.  By about 4.5 miles I usually know if I'm going to be able to finish strong or whether I need to slow to prevent total blowup.  It is about that point where I turn it on if I can.  Good luck, remember to have fun, and finish with a smile.

2015-02-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
==
February 14-15
Steve - Sedro Woolley Trail Half Marathon on Saturday
Janyne - Myrtle Beach half marathon on Saturday
Stacey -  Rockingham Tri on Sunday
Ann-Marie - Flatwoods Ramble on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Matt MS - under the weather
Randee - acid reflux
Yanti - under the weather

Congratulations to Jen and Troy on the new jobs!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55372 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.