BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-12 2:11 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Jet Black Holy crap y'all are killing it in training! Way to go! A couple of things: First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit. Second, I need more newb help with race pacing. I have a 10k coming up in a couple of weeks. My training plan called for me to run a 10k all out the same weekend that the biggest 10k event in town is happening so I signed up. But I have no idea what I should aim for time wise. I had an hour tempo interval workout Monday. 5 x 6 min tempo, 2 minute rest. I ran ~8:00/mi for the tempos. I could have gone faster for sure. I had a 1 hour steady RPE 3-4 run today and I averaged 8:33 for the whole thing including a 5:00 warm up closer to 10:00/mi. I'm thinking start out around 8:00/mi and then negative split it? Where should I start really kicking it into gear if I'm feeling good? Obviously I don't want to start out too fast, is 8:00/mi ok? Thanks!

I can tell you that it's better to start out conservative and build vs going out too fast and spiraling to a slow death.  I have lots of data on this!

Yeah, best to go out a little conservative, especially with this being your first one.  Don't get sucked into the first mile adrenaline rush.  Let other people do their thing and if you get passed let'em go.  Stick to your planned pace early.  It is more satisfying to pass late in a race.

For a 10k, I focus on my first half pace trying to hit my target (first half run with your head).  I'll very gradually pick it up from there if I'm feeling really good.  By about 4.5 miles I usually know if I'm going to be able to finish strong or whether I need to slow to prevent total blowup.  It is about that point where I turn it on if I can.  Good luck, remember to have fun, and finish with a smile.

Yeah another one for starting slightly under and build throughout. Since it's a race a number of people will likely just bolt out of the gate. I've seen like 2 min/mile faster than what they finished with. Don't do that. You're doing a time trial, so there is no reason to do anything except exactly as you planned from the first step. I've had dozens surge by me at the start of some local races and I still end up like top 5 or top 10.

2015-02-12 2:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Jet Black Holy crap y'all are killing it in training! Way to go! A couple of things: First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit. Second, I need more newb help with race pacing. I have a 10k coming up in a couple of weeks. My training plan called for me to run a 10k all out the same weekend that the biggest 10k event in town is happening so I signed up. But I have no idea what I should aim for time wise. I had an hour tempo interval workout Monday. 5 x 6 min tempo, 2 minute rest. I ran ~8:00/mi for the tempos. I could have gone faster for sure. I had a 1 hour steady RPE 3-4 run today and I averaged 8:33 for the whole thing including a 5:00 warm up closer to 10:00/mi. I'm thinking start out around 8:00/mi and then negative split it? Where should I start really kicking it into gear if I'm feeling good? Obviously I don't want to start out too fast, is 8:00/mi ok? Thanks!

I can tell you that it's better to start out conservative and build vs going out too fast and spiraling to a slow death.  I have lots of data on this!

Yeah, best to go out a little conservative, especially with this being your first one.  Don't get sucked into the first mile adrenaline rush.  Let other people do their thing and if you get passed let'em go.  Stick to your planned pace early.  It is more satisfying to pass late in a race.

For a 10k, I focus on my first half pace trying to hit my target (first half run with your head).  I'll very gradually pick it up from there if I'm feeling really good.  By about 4.5 miles I usually know if I'm going to be able to finish strong or whether I need to slow to prevent total blowup.  It is about that point where I turn it on if I can.  Good luck, remember to have fun, and finish with a smile.

Yeah another one for starting slightly under and build throughout. Since it's a race a number of people will likely just bolt out of the gate. I've seen like 2 min/mile faster than what they finished with. Don't do that. You're doing a time trial, so there is no reason to do anything except exactly as you planned from the first step. I've had dozens surge by me at the start of some local races and I still end up like top 5 or top 10.

Yeah, I think the only time that strategy is ever effective is in XC or trail running where you need positioning right out of the gate. 

I love building into a pace. Just try not to panic early on. 

2015-02-12 2:17 PM
in reply to: msteiner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

My cold seems to be getting better.  I got my sprint workout in last night, which was also my first workout with my built up PowerTap wheel.  The workout was tough, but that workout probably would have been hard even at 100%.  I have tempo efforts tonight, which should be less trying on me.

Glad to hear it!

Are two "hard" workouts in a row pretty typical in cycling? I know you can do a hell of a lot more intensity cycling than you can running. 

It still tends to be more ideal to keep harder ones separated, but cycling can handle the harder ones being that close together much more so than running. So it kinda depends on the schedule one can keep, especially since Matt has 2 other sports to consider. Something that also helps to a degree is that the specific workouts he is doing can stress different energy systems. Matt would need to confirm, but it looks like the hard parts yesterday were going up into anaerobic plus they're done in small clusters with a few minutes really easy between each of those. The tempos will be solidly in aerobic, though how hard I'm not sure. Could be anything from equivalent marathon pacing up to like 10k or so.

Some bike racers (which I think he'll be doing), might also get used to a solid weekend of racing by putting some hard things together. Those might include some combination of crits, road races, and time trials over the same weekend.

Short answer to Salty's question - yes.  You can do back to back hard workouts in Cycling.

Longer answer (referencing the bold)

This is true.  Yesterday's workout was a descending interval workout with 4 sets of 60"/45"/30"/15" sprints with equal rest and a 5 minute recovery between sets.  For those I'm bouncing between 400-500 Watts, which is of course well into anaerobic.

Today I'll be doing 4x10' at Tempo, which will be between 210 and 230 Watts.  

I also do the same descending interval set as part of my long ride Friday or Saturday, and I'll finish the week off with a more moderate Z2 ride on Sunday.  The idea of the plan I'm on is to improve my sprint, as I'll be needing that for Crits. 

About what intensity is that? Couldn't remember for you. Curious as FTP's in the group vary from something like 140 to over 300.

Sounds like fun as part of the long ride! I've never raced, but have had courses with the biggest hills later in the ride. Just getting over that has been interesting enough!

2015-02-12 2:29 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by jmkizer

Great timing!

Do you have a recent race time? I think that is the best way to go about it.

No, I've got nothing. That's the problem. Before I started this triathlon training last October I hadn't run farther than a 5k. I've only done training runs to this point and most of them tell me to go slow.

So you're saying that this is going to be a PR?

How do you feel about the 5k race and where you are in your current training.  I mean, if you were to do the 5k now, would that still be a good time or would you crush it?

Absolutely will be a PR. The 5k race was a few years ago and I honestly can't even remember my time. I'm way faster now for sure though. This is literally the first time I'll be giving all out effort on a run since I started training in October. If it helps, my garmin tells me I can run a 10k in 45:03, but I think this is based off of my V02 max which probably isn't very accurate because you're supposed to run hard for 20 minutes for that to calibrate correctly (which I haven't done). Edit: Also my HR was steady at 160 for the entireity of my run today. That seems high to me because I felt like I could have held a conversation. I'm not sure what my max HR is though. I have seen it in the 170s but have never tried to max it out.

Because......?

2015-02-12 2:35 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Great timing!

No, I've got nothing. That's the problem. Before I started this triathlon training last October I hadn't run farther than a 5k. I've only done training runs to this point and most of them tell me to go slow.

How do you feel about the 5k race and where you are in your current training.  I mean, if you were to do the 5k now, would that still be a good time or would you crush it?

Absolutely will be a PR. The 5k race was a few years ago and I honestly can't even remember my time. I'm way faster now for sure though. This is literally the first time I'll be giving all out effort on a run since I started training in October. If it helps, my garmin tells me I can run a 10k in 45:03, but I think this is based off of my V02 max which probably isn't very accurate because you're supposed to run hard for 20 minutes for that to calibrate correctly (which I haven't done). Edit: Also my HR was steady at 160 for the entireity of my run today. That seems high to me because I felt like I could have held a conversation. I'm not sure what my max HR is though. I have seen it in the 170s but have never tried to max it out.

Because......?

Training plan hasn't called for it.

Ok, good that everyone is in agreement that I should start out conservative. Thanks! Now what do y'all think would be conservative for me? I've run a 10k in 52 minutes or so during a longer training run. Just start there because I know I can do it? Or start at 8 min pace which would have me finish in 48 and change?
2015-02-12 2:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black Ok, good that everyone is in agreement that I should start out conservative. Thanks! Now what do y'all think would be conservative for me? I've run a 10k in 52 minutes or so during a longer training run. Just start there because I know I can do it? Or start at 8 min pace which would have me finish in 48 and change?

Looking at faster runs are more helpful for that, what you did and how they went. There is one posted already. Any others in the last month or two?

2015-02-12 3:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black Ok, good that everyone is in agreement that I should start out conservative. Thanks! Now what do y'all think would be conservative for me? I've run a 10k in 52 minutes or so during a longer training run. Just start there because I know I can do it? Or start at 8 min pace which would have me finish in 48 and change?

Looking at faster runs are more helpful for that, what you did and how they went. There is one posted already. Any others in the last month or two?

Here are some 10k paces per running calculator as reference:

8:03 = 50 min

7:53 = 49 min

7:43 = 48 min

The only caution I'd throw out there is that a lot of other things can come into play with paces like wind, elevation changes, traffic, etc.  Also, overall time can vary based on actual distance.  I still think I'd start at 8:00 and just take it from there.  There is much to learn with pacing a race and most of that just comes from your own experiences.  No matter what happens you will get better at this.  Relax and enjoy the race.  There is no pressure other than to have fun. 

Edited by popsracer 2015-02-12 3:09 PM
2015-02-12 3:10 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Great timing!

Because......?

Training plan hasn't called for it. Ok, good that everyone is in agreement that I should start out conservative. Thanks! Now what do y'all think would be conservative for me? I've run a 10k in 52 minutes or so during a longer training run. Just start there because I know I can do it? Or start at 8 min pace which would have me finish in 48 and change?

Another thing to consider:  make sure you seed yourself closer to the front.  When I did a 10k (my 1st) this past November, I started about mid-pack and spent the first mile dodging through the crowd and continued passing people through the rest of the race.  Admittedly, I'm slower than you are (finished in 1:00:06), but I definitely would have been faster if I hadn't had to weave my way through.

2015-02-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
==
February 14-15
Steve - Sedro Woolley Trail Half Marathon on Saturday
Janyne - Myrtle Beach half marathon on Saturday
Stacey -  Rockingham Tri on Sunday
Ann-Marie - Flatwoods Ramble on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Matt MS - under the weather
Randee - acid reflux
Yanti - under the weather

Congratulations to Jen and Troy on the new jobs!

Happy Valentine's racing, racers!!  Race your hearts out!! 

Image result for heart image clipart

Heal up, dear DLers.  We seriously need to pare that list down.

2015-02-12 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

My cold seems to be getting better.  I got my sprint workout in last night, which was also my first workout with my built up PowerTap wheel.  The workout was tough, but that workout probably would have been hard even at 100%.  I have tempo efforts tonight, which should be less trying on me.

Glad to hear it!

Are two "hard" workouts in a row pretty typical in cycling? I know you can do a hell of a lot more intensity cycling than you can running. 

It still tends to be more ideal to keep harder ones separated, but cycling can handle the harder ones being that close together much more so than running. So it kinda depends on the schedule one can keep, especially since Matt has 2 other sports to consider. Something that also helps to a degree is that the specific workouts he is doing can stress different energy systems. Matt would need to confirm, but it looks like the hard parts yesterday were going up into anaerobic plus they're done in small clusters with a few minutes really easy between each of those. The tempos will be solidly in aerobic, though how hard I'm not sure. Could be anything from equivalent marathon pacing up to like 10k or so.

Some bike racers (which I think he'll be doing), might also get used to a solid weekend of racing by putting some hard things together. Those might include some combination of crits, road races, and time trials over the same weekend.

Short answer to Salty's question - yes.  You can do back to back hard workouts in Cycling.

Longer answer (referencing the bold)

This is true.  Yesterday's workout was a descending interval workout with 4 sets of 60"/45"/30"/15" sprints with equal rest and a 5 minute recovery between sets.  For those I'm bouncing between 400-500 Watts, which is of course well into anaerobic.

Today I'll be doing 4x10' at Tempo, which will be between 210 and 230 Watts.  

I also do the same descending interval set as part of my long ride Friday or Saturday, and I'll finish the week off with a more moderate Z2 ride on Sunday.  The idea of the plan I'm on is to improve my sprint, as I'll be needing that for Crits. 

About what intensity is that? Couldn't remember for you. Curious as FTP's in the group vary from something like 140 to over 300.

Sounds like fun as part of the long ride! I've never raced, but have had courses with the biggest hills later in the ride. Just getting over that has been interesting enough!

Intensity is pretty high.  My FTP is currently 263, so the sprint intervals are in the 150-170% range.  Definitely high, but that's the kind of effort I need to be ready for. 

For Tempo I target 80-85%

Edited by msteiner 2015-02-12 3:34 PM
2015-02-12 3:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

If anyone was considering donating to my charity hockey game, the next 15 minutes is ideal because the amount we raise by then will dictate how early I have to get up and play next Saturday. The more money, the later the game. We don't want a cranky Adrienne DO WE??? 

http://rmhchockeychallenge.causevox.com/adrienne-salzwedel

I didn't get there in the 15 minutes but I got there

2015-02-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

If anyone was considering donating to my charity hockey game, the next 15 minutes is ideal because the amount we raise by then will dictate how early I have to get up and play next Saturday. The more money, the later the game. We don't want a cranky Adrienne DO WE??? 

http://rmhchockeychallenge.causevox.com/adrienne-salzwedel

I didn't get there in the 15 minutes but I got there

That's ok! I really appreciate it!

Our other teammates rallied and we got the amount needed to play in the 10:35 game. Crisis averted! Now I just have to hit my $500 goal before next week and we are all set. 

We get to play on the WHL arena which is always a treat. 

2015-02-12 3:48 PM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

Go racers! Gooooooooooo!

Steve, while I'm not racing in BHAM I will be up there drinking beer! J and I are planning to got to Aslan, Wander, Kulshan, BBay and Chuckanut. Anything we are  missing? 

2015-02-12 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

GO VD RACERS!!!!!!!!!! (and Sunday racers too). Have fun!!!!

DL, seriously... get better 'mkay?

2015-02-12 4:38 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

Go racers! Gooooooooooo!

Steve, while I'm not racing in BHAM I will be up there drinking beer! J and I are planning to got to Aslan, Wander, Kulshan, BBay and Chuckanut. Anything we are  missing? 

I think those five would make for a darn fine pub crawl.  I was at Chuckanut last night (their kolsch could be the last beer on earth and I'd be happy).  All good choices.  BBay probably has the best food.  What day are you coming up? 

2015-02-12 5:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

I sucked it up and went for a run in the wind. Was 2min from going with J to the gym (treadmill at home would drive grandpa out the door), and then realized I have very few opportunities to run without the stroller. So I left Mak with Nana and headed out into the "gale".   25-35mph had me chasing my visor down the road a couple of times. oooops, bad plan. Just headband tomorrow

On a happy note, I'm pleased with being on track for 25mi of slow and steady running this week. Maybe even a trail run to wrap it up tomorrow

2015-02-12 5:26 PM

User image

Master

I didn't get there either, but will.

Taylor was in NICU for 7 days because of fluid in his lungs. We had to travel back and forth from home 3 times a day. That wasn't fun, nor was being told we couldn't wake him up because his cry was so loud, but the worst part was seeing the tiny preemies, some fighting for their lives. Taylor was 9lbs, and there were twins next to him only 2.5-3lbs each. They sounded like kittens compared to him. Policy didn't allow for anyone other than parents to come in, but two days before T was released one of the incubators was surrounded by various family members for an hour. They were saying goodbye to their baby. It was heartbreaking.

DOH! Supposed to be in reply to Adrienne's hockey team.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-02-12 5:28 PM
2015-02-12 5:40 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

I sucked it up and went for a run in the wind. Was 2min from going with J to the gym (treadmill at home would drive grandpa out the door), and then realized I have very few opportunities to run without the stroller. So I left Mak with Nana and headed out into the "gale".   25-35mph had me chasing my visor down the road a couple of times. oooops, bad plan. Just headband tomorrow

On a happy note, I'm pleased with being on track for 25mi of slow and steady running this week. Maybe even a trail run to wrap it up tomorrow

Yay for non-strollering, 25 mi. this week, and a trail run tomorrow!!  Maybe you should wear the visor tomorrow and call it "wind sprints." 

2015-02-12 6:28 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Pedals to the medals, speedy Manatees :D. C'mon, dear DLers. We know you don't like it on The List.
2015-02-12 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

Go speed racers ( even me!)

heal up DLs

congrats new job holders!!

2015-02-12 7:04 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Havok

Thanks Yanti!  Busy busy busy busy O.O

I had a lot of acid reflux problems growing up...always had stomach aches but luckily grew out of it mostly.  Spicy food gets me occasionally, which sucks because I LOVE SPICY FOOD!  The pain is worth it haha

Managed a new swim record today!!! Previously it was 600 meters, and today for whatever reason my form came together and I was doing 50-100m spurts adding up to a grand total of 1,150m! 

Well, that's just all kinds of awesome

Indeed!!  Each new milestone feels so great, doesn't it?  You should be really proud of yourself!!

Thanks guys!

2015-02-12 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

Lots of racers.  Nice!  Race smart, and race fast!

DL'ers - Somehow I got in with you guys, but I'll lead you all out.  Grab my wheel!

2015-02-12 8:57 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

GOOOOOO RACING MANATEES!!!Hope you DLers feel better soon!Congrats, Troy!I'm excited about the new job. Not as excited as I am that the cast comes off on Monday!
2015-02-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
2 days into my training plan and I'm right on track. I feel like I should put a dollar in a jar every day I'm on track and take one out if I miss a workout. Bribery does wonders for me.
2015-02-12 10:40 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by Artemis

2 days into my training plan and I'm right on track. I feel like I should put a dollar in a jar every day I'm on track and take one out if I miss a workout. Bribery does wonders for me.
I never thought of that. What an awesome way to invest in yourself and keep you on track for training! That cash could be used for a nice reward post event or to pay it forward to help someone else achieve a goal. I need to get a jar out and start that. Perhaps even add a bonus deposit for meeting a training goal.

What say the Manatee's, what should the investment structure be? +1 daily workout, -2 missed workout, +2 or 5 for goal achievement, +x or -y for difference in event result (time/place), etc? Of course we should include other rewards, bonus, and penalties.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55371 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.