BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-12 2:19 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by laffinrock

Yanti, I'm glad to hear that no blood has been spilled and no bodies have been dumped.  The pictures you've been posting on FB are so lovely!! 

I had a bit of a chat with Coach Joey in the running club.  Turns out that he's coached lacrosse but never coached running before.  He just happens to be the person at the store who's interested in doing it.  He's also been working 15 hour days since he moved from corporate to the store, which just about coincided with me joining the group.  Now that I know that, I've dialed back my expectations considerably.  It's disappointing, but so be it.  I think I'll stick with the group for now and probably through my HM.

Mary, it looks like you've gotten your answers. Maybe he could use some help, someone who can help keep him on task and organized. I'm not saying you need to do this, but it seems like if a few people work together on this, it has the potential to really help some people. I hope it all works out both short and long term for you.

Yeah, having an understanding can go a long ways towards feeling better about a situation, even if it's not quite the one you had wanted at first.

Not having a plan yet may be a bit disconcerting, but I think you're still fine since it's so far out. There isn't necessarily going to be something *that* special in the early goings anyway. For now, just keep developing a sense about running. That is how to put more in, how to work at various types of workouts, and how these things affect you. To me, the most important parts for you would be to learn how to run consistently first and then to work in various types of faster and/or longer runs.

For something to start with, I think you  have two types of "faster" workouts going on? The one is 4 x whatever the hill is, something like a minute? Right here would be a good place to work in the "lap" button if your watch has it. And use it for when you start and stop the hard part. I see this one on strava, but can't quite see enough detail with multiple hill reps in the single lap. The general idea would be to run up strong and be consistent across all 4 of them to just slightly faster on the last one. As you gain some more experience through some other workouts and races you'll get a better idea of just how hard that should be based off a few marker workouts, but for now seeing that it's above your easy pace on a grade I'm guessing at is good. And the mile home should not be a struggle either. You'll get some benefits from this of running hard and from running faster. Keep everything smooth with much of your body relaxed even though it wants to tense up. You're learning to run well, not trying to beat the tar out of yourself. Then one last bit on this is to make sure the downhill is truly easy. Both because it's a recovery and it's going downhill. Only goal of this is to be loose & ready for the next interval.

For the tempo, *I* would actually limit it to something like 1-2 miles of the 4 miles run, and maybe break it in half as well. That's almost 10-20' of faster running at your speed which is a fair amount of faster work for how much you're doing in total right now. The pacing of it can vary, but again, so long as it's at least a little faster than easy pace. Might hear anything from marathon pacing up to threshold pacing for this. Threshold pacing is close to your best, most optimal 1 hr race. Or for you, about a 10k you go all in on. I think it tends to be better to figure out how to work up to running this faster as opposed to doing longer. It does help to have a solid test run or a recent 5k result to be able to dial in the harder pacing. If you're not sure about being able to handle this run, then just go for the easy run and consider putting in some strides instead (do you know what these are?), going with the consistent running idea.

Do these help? Certainly not everything to know as there are entire books on this, but hoping to give a little to start with.

Really well thought out advice. I was thinking along these lines this morning. One of the things that many people don't think about is to learn how to train to run. It is probably underrated, but volume/base is for my money, first on that list. I am finally starting to tnk abouton different types of runs and what the value is of each. It takes a bit of thought to truly improve to near our potential. I am hopeful that I can see some improvements from this sort of program/plan and I hope that you do the same. 

2014-10-12 3:20 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

October 11-12
Randee - Hartford Half Marathon on Saturday
Jonathan TN - Army 10 Miler Shadow Run
Jen - 5k on Saturday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 2)
Tom - right knee
Ann-Marie - Achilles tendinitis

I signed up late last night to do a 10km Turkey Trot on Monday with my SIL.  It's Canadian Thanksgiving.

Big Bro has been in hospital all week.  Some of you may remember he had a colostomy in January.  He had the reversal in September.  He was recovering well until last Saturday when he had flu-like symptoms.  Was in bed all day, got up in the evening and passed out.  Off to the ER and long story short he has a Dieulafoy Lesion in his intestine.  Basically a ruptured blood vessel; they have repaired it endoscopically twice, but his hemoglobin keeps dropping despite blood (I think we are up to 6 units as of today...).  It has nothing to do with any of his surgeries, just a genetic thing that has chosen now to make its presence known.  No pain, feels fine, just frustrated!  I am really feeling for my SIL, as she is worried and has to hold it together for the kids.  So, any prayers and good thoughts would be gratefully received.

Good luck to all you other racey racers and DL'ers you have my prayers and good thoughts!

Keeping your Bro and SIL in my thoughts.  Hope he's doing well.

2014-10-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

Speaking of health problems, here's a case of good fate.  As you may remember, my FIL isn't in the best of health.  On Wed. my MIL took him to his heart doctor for a checkup.  She passed out in the waiting room and apparently had a mild heart attack and needed to be hospitalized.  Talk about right place right time! Although it wasn't a good thing to have happen, at least it happened at the best possible place.

Wow!  Great timing!!

Scary!!  Glad she was able to get it taken care of right away!

2014-10-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Hope Randee had a fun HM and Jen enjoyed the 5k Jonathan's shadow run today?

I did.  It was 60s and raining.  Perfect weather. 

Here's my race report.

2014-10-12 8:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

Yanti, I'm glad to hear that no blood has been spilled and no bodies have been dumped.  The pictures you've been posting on FB are so lovely!! 

I had a bit of a chat with Coach Joey in the running club.  Turns out that he's coached lacrosse but never coached running before.  He just happens to be the person at the store who's interested in doing it.  He's also been working 15 hour days since he moved from corporate to the store, which just about coincided with me joining the group.  Now that I know that, I've dialed back my expectations considerably.  It's disappointing, but so be it.  I think I'll stick with the group for now and probably through my HM.

Mary, it looks like you've gotten your answers. Maybe he could use some help, someone who can help keep him on task and organized. I'm not saying you need to do this, but it seems like if a few people work together on this, it has the potential to really help some people. I hope it all works out both short and long term for you.

Yeah, having an understanding can go a long ways towards feeling better about a situation, even if it's not quite the one you had wanted at first.

Not having a plan yet may be a bit disconcerting, but I think you're still fine since it's so far out. There isn't necessarily going to be something *that* special in the early goings anyway. For now, just keep developing a sense about running. That is how to put more in, how to work at various types of workouts, and how these things affect you. To me, the most important parts for you would be to learn how to run consistently first and then to work in various types of faster and/or longer runs.

For something to start with, I think you  have two types of "faster" workouts going on? The one is 4 x whatever the hill is, something like a minute? Right here would be a good place to work in the "lap" button if your watch has it. And use it for when you start and stop the hard part. I see this one on strava, but can't quite see enough detail with multiple hill reps in the single lap. The general idea would be to run up strong and be consistent across all 4 of them to just slightly faster on the last one. As you gain some more experience through some other workouts and races you'll get a better idea of just how hard that should be based off a few marker workouts, but for now seeing that it's above your easy pace on a grade I'm guessing at is good. And the mile home should not be a struggle either. You'll get some benefits from this of running hard and from running faster. Keep everything smooth with much of your body relaxed even though it wants to tense up. You're learning to run well, not trying to beat the tar out of yourself. Then one last bit on this is to make sure the downhill is truly easy. Both because it's a recovery and it's going downhill. Only goal of this is to be loose & ready for the next interval.

For the tempo, *I* would actually limit it to something like 1-2 miles of the 4 miles run, and maybe break it in half as well. That's almost 10-20' of faster running at your speed which is a fair amount of faster work for how much you're doing in total right now. The pacing of it can vary, but again, so long as it's at least a little faster than easy pace. Might hear anything from marathon pacing up to threshold pacing for this. Threshold pacing is close to your best, most optimal 1 hr race. Or for you, about a 10k you go all in on. I think it tends to be better to figure out how to work up to running this faster as opposed to doing longer. It does help to have a solid test run or a recent 5k result to be able to dial in the harder pacing. If you're not sure about being able to handle this run, then just go for the easy run and consider putting in some strides instead (do you know what these are?), going with the consistent running idea.

Do these help? Certainly not everything to know as there are entire books on this, but hoping to give a little to start with.

Really well thought out advice. I was thinking along these lines this morning. One of the things that many people don't think about is to learn how to train to run. It is probably underrated, but volume/base is for my money, first on that list. I am finally starting to tnk abouton different types of runs and what the value is of each. It takes a bit of thought to truly improve to near our potential. I am hopeful that I can see some improvements from this sort of program/plan and I hope that you do the same. 

Thanks, Ben and Chris.  I really appreciate your input.  From what you're saying, I think I'm on the right track.  I'm getting a sense now of what my "easy" pace is.  Today I ran 5 mi. at said pace and was comfortably breathing 2 steps inhale/3 steps exhale the whole way.  I really didn't feel tired at all until I was done.  

So far, other than those times when I blew up because of the heat this summer, I've felt pretty comfortable since I started running more frequently.  I'm mostly just getting used to running 4 days a week and not pushing it too much, even on the hill reps.  I had thought I'd do some biking and swimming on 2 of the rest days but I've decided that I'm going to leave those as optional for now and skipping them if my back or hip are saying no.  I can definitely tell that I've increased my mileage and frequency because my hip has been a little grouchy, as have my Achilles.  Using my foam roller 1-2x/day and lots of ankle circles seem to be keeping those under control.  I'm also planning to make my 10k on 11/15 a test run because my fastest 5k to date was in my last tri and that's not exactly a good measure.  The 10k is the same route as the 5k I did at the end of June, just 2x around the course, so it'll also be a good gauge of where I'm at now versus the end of June.

I'll keep posting on Strava with more detail in my log here and welcome any feedback.

2014-10-13 4:00 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thanks, Ben and Chris.  I really appreciate your input.  From what you're saying, I think I'm on the right track.  I'm getting a sense now of what my "easy" pace is.  Today I ran 5 mi. at said pace and was comfortably breathing 2 steps inhale/3 steps exhale the whole way.  I really didn't feel tired at all until I was done.  

So far, other than those times when I blew up because of the heat this summer, I've felt pretty comfortable since I started running more frequently.  I'm mostly just getting used to running 4 days a week and not pushing it too much, even on the hill reps.  I had thought I'd do some biking and swimming on 2 of the rest days but I've decided that I'm going to leave those as optional for now and skipping them if my back or hip are saying no.  I can definitely tell that I've increased my mileage and frequency because my hip has been a little grouchy, as have my Achilles.  Using my foam roller 1-2x/day and lots of ankle circles seem to be keeping those under control.  I'm also planning to make my 10k on 11/15 a test run because my fastest 5k to date was in my last tri and that's not exactly a good measure.  The 10k is the same route as the 5k I did at the end of June, just 2x around the course, so it'll also be a good gauge of where I'm at now versus the end of June.

I'll keep posting on Strava with more detail in my log here and welcome any feedback.

Good job at listening to your body and doing whats right for it.

2014-10-13 4:04 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Devastating news here over the weekend.

A local triathlete got knocked off his bike and killed and the person who did it didn't stop just kept driving and left him there. Thankfully other motorist stopped to help him but they weren't able to save him. It was broad daylight, he was wearing bright colours apparently very easy to see and obeying all the road rules.

They caught the driver and they have charged him with:
Dangerous driving causing death
Failing to stop
Failing to render assistance
Failing to report an accident
Refusing a breath test and a couple of other things
2014-10-13 4:37 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Devastating news here over the weekend. A local triathlete got knocked off his bike and killed and the person who did it didn't stop just kept driving and left him there. Thankfully other motorist stopped to help him but they weren't able to save him. It was broad daylight, he was wearing bright colours apparently very easy to see and obeying all the road rules. They caught the driver and they have charged him with: Dangerous driving causing death Failing to stop Failing to render assistance Failing to report an accident Refusing a breath test and a couple of other things

Horrific. Can only keep those who knew him in my prayers.

Kingsley thinks Perth drivers are terrible with respect to cyclists. I really hope this is an outlier and isn't/doesn't become more the case.

Driving and walking here in Germany, Tina and I continually cannot believe how much respect is afforded to those moving under their own power. Really old, and I mean creaking old people still cycle here without wearing any special clothing and even at dawn/dusk.

2014-10-13 10:21 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK Devastating news here over the weekend. A local triathlete got knocked off his bike and killed and the person who did it didn't stop just kept driving and left him there. Thankfully other motorist stopped to help him but they weren't able to save him. It was broad daylight, he was wearing bright colours apparently very easy to see and obeying all the road rules. They caught the driver and they have charged him with: Dangerous driving causing death Failing to stop Failing to render assistance Failing to report an accident Refusing a breath test and a couple of other things

That's terrible!!  Yet another reminder that no matter how careful you are, there's always risk.  There's only so much you can do, though.  Glad to hear that the driver is being held accountable.  (((Hugs))) and safe thoughts for you and all of us out there on the roads pursuing our love of sport.

2014-10-13 12:00 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

And just checking in ...

Germany is truly the trip of a lifetime, and Mutti's done far, far, vastly better than any of us could have imagined. It's amazing. North Germany (we were prepared for the usual winterpocalypse October onset) is having the warmest autumn on record. We're wearing less clothing here than we sometimes do in Indonesia! Tina and I have also enjoyed ourselves and more or less behaved far far vastly better than any of us could have expected

That said, I don't care how much you love your mother (immensely) or how awesome your sister is (the best). If you spend 24/7 in the same room (or same small car) with them, mostly in the company of all your crazy relatives (how do you think I got this way?!) ... it's also gone far far vastly better than any of us could have thought simply because nobody's been shot and dumped in the Baltic Sea. Yet.

One or two of us may have had one or two thoughts about it, though.

Glad no one has been pushed to violence yet, let's try to keep it that way, m'kay?  Your pics on FB have been so enjoyable, and it's great to know Mutti has been doing well.  Be safe and keep having fun!

2014-10-13 12:02 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

That is terrible news, but at least they got the guy and seem like they are throwing the book at him, so to speak. 

2014-10-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Thank you, all, for prayers and good thoughts for my MIL.  She is supposed to go in for surgery today to possibly have a stent put in and to check if she needs a valve replaced.  Her surgery keeps getting put on hold, according to E, and he doesn't know why.  She lives in WV, so we aren't close to help, but two of E's brothers live there (one in the same house as MIL/FIL), so they have a good support network.  Unfortunately, E's uncle passed away today, I don't know the cause of death but he has been unwell for quite some time.  Not a good day for E.  He wasn't really close to the uncle, per se, but I think it's bothering him more because of his mother's situation.

2014-10-13 12:39 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Thank you, all, for prayers and good thoughts for my MIL.  She is supposed to go in for surgery today to possibly have a stent put in and to check if she needs a valve replaced.  Her surgery keeps getting put on hold, according to E, and he doesn't know why.  She lives in WV, so we aren't close to help, but two of E's brothers live there (one in the same house as MIL/FIL), so they have a good support network.  Unfortunately, E's uncle passed away today, I don't know the cause of death but he has been unwell for quite some time.  Not a good day for E.  He wasn't really close to the uncle, per se, but I think it's bothering him more because of his mother's situation.

What a hard day today.  I'm glad to hear your MIL and FIL have good support, but it's still so stressful, especially when you and E are so far away, and then to have another family member die brings it so much closer to home.  (((Hugs))) to you and E and healing thoughts to your in-laws and your dad.  The health crises can stop anytime now, right?!

2014-10-13 1:25 PM

User image

Master

Prayers for friends and family.  Be careful out there everyone.

2014-10-13 1:28 PM

User image

Master

Oh nooo!  Thoughts and prayer to you and E and family.

2014-10-13 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Sending love and hugs to all of the Manatees, and extra amounts to those that need it! 

2014-10-13 1:33 PM

User image

Master

My bro went home from the hospital yesterday.  Blood values were stable, although still low, for 24 hours, so they sprung him free.  Hopefully this is the end of his health issues.

SIL and I did the Turkey Trot this morning.  She is a bad a$$.  Stressed and little sleep all week, barfed 200 m from the finish line, then sprinted in.  Beat her previous time by 40 seconds.  Love it.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

2014-10-13 1:55 PM

User image

Denver, CO

My bro went home from the hospital yesterday.  Blood values were stable, although still low, for 24 hours, so they sprung him free.  Hopefully this is the end of his health issues.

SIL and I did the Turkey Trot this morning.  She is a bad a$$.  Stressed and little sleep all week, barfed 200 m from the finish line, then sprinted in.  Beat her previous time by 40 seconds.  Love it.

Good for her!!!  You're right, she IS a badazz!!

Glad to hear your bro is home too.  Bet that's a relief, even if he's not completely better yet.  It's much better to be at home where he's less likely to pick up some bug and can get some better sleep.  I hope he continues to heal up, and quickly at that.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you too!  Eat some turkey for me.  You do do the whole too-much-turkey/stuffing/pie thing, right?  Or is there some Canuck variation of that?

2014-10-13 2:00 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Awesome news all around!  Happy Thanksgiving!

2014-10-13 4:09 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
*gulp*

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (64KB - 4 downloads)
2014-10-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner *gulp*

Congratulations!

2014-10-13 5:08 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations!

Yay, TJ!!  I'm so excited for you! 

2014-10-13 5:15 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Wooooooot!

2014-10-13 6:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

That is terrible news, but at least they got the guy and seem like they are throwing the book at him, so to speak. 

Yes, they are, stuff like this is normally taken fairly seriously here. If he is found guilty it is more than likely that he will do jail time.

Unfortunately another rider got hit today, by a truck. Not killed thankfully and I highly suspect that this time it may have been the riders fault in that I think he has crept down the side of the truck and the driver couldn't see him.

Really considering the amount of bikes that use our rides around here the % of serious accidents seems fairly low. This year there have been 6 fatalities involving bike riders. Which is 6 too many but when you compare it to the 130+ road traffic deaths so far this year it is a very low number.

I was surprised by Phil's reaction to this news last night and how adamant he was that for their own safety cyclists should just stay off the roads. So it looks like trainer rides and cycle paths for me from now on in order to keep him happy.

Please, please be careful out there and keep your wits about you, just because you are in the right doesn't make you any less hurt or dead.
2014-10-13 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Happy thanksgiving Kristen and I'm glad to hear your brother is home.

Mel I hope your MILs surgery gets sorted soon.

Speaking of thanksgiving American thanksgiving signals Black Friday and cyber Monday doesn't it. Can someone let me know what date that is?

Also what's on your list to get for a bargain this year? So far for me is maybe a Garmin Forerunner 15
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 44709 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38890 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74464 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51857 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 26999 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.