BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Good on you, Salty, that run sounds kind of horrific.  Sunday's sounds much nicer though!

2014-03-24 9:46 PM

User image

Master

Ok, Womanatees, need some info...Does a saddle in aero position take some getting used to/HTFU'ing?  I gots me some sore bits.  How long do you let your body acclimate before looking for a new saddle?

2014-03-24 11:36 PM

User image

Master

A blogger writing about Chamois Cream:

Verdict. It is DISGUSTING with a capital D. It’s a totally and utterly GROSS. It’s like walking around with what feels like 3 tablespoons of cold mayonnaise squishing around in your knickers. BLEEERRRGH. But it WORKS. Good lord, it works a treat.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

2014-03-25 2:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by bcraht

Ok, Womanatees, need some info...Does a saddle in aero position take some getting used to/HTFU'ing?  I gots me some sore bits.  How long do you let your body acclimate before looking for a new saddle?

The saddle that came with my P2 was uncomfortable and led to sore bits, but when I switched to an Adamo saddle there was instant relief. IMO, there are certain parts of a body that shouldn't be toughened up, so get a saddle that doesn't hurt

Edited by amd723 2014-03-25 2:41 AM
2014-03-25 2:43 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyKI just wanted to check and say Hi. I have been kind of keeping up with everything but it's normally at about 4am when I can't post coherent thoughts. Thanks for all of the inspires. Sorry but I don't have time to reply to them all individually so I thought I would do a quick update post.The pups are doing great - except for one (who is very healthy) but likes to whine like for 2 hours straight, it's touch and go but he might not make it through another night . They are 2.5 weeks old now and getting really big. The biggest ones are just over 2kg (nearly 5#) and the littlest one is a bit under 1.5kg, she has just discovered that she likes food and so is catching up fast. They all have their eyes open now and are starting to walk rather than belly crawl. Thankfully now they are mostly going 6 hours between feeds so I have managed to get about 4 hours sleep straight for the last 2 nights.Work has been flat out busy. I am actually on annual leave so shouldn't be working (don't tell DH) but the financial auditors are going through our annual financial report and want to know the ins and outs of everything (thank you GFC and new auditing standards in Australia). So most days I have been doing 4 or 5 hours of answering questions for them. DH is still not very well, has major body aches and is exhausted most of the time, he has no energy or strength to do anything much at all and heads to bed really early. He went to a new Dr last week and has been having blood, urine and saliva tests to try and pin point what is wrong. He has a follow up appointment on Friday so hopefully that will give us some answers.Have a great day everyone.
I'm happy to hear that things are settling down a bit on the puppy front - except for that one whiny boy! Sorry that your husband is so sick and I hope the new doc can figure things out.
2014-03-25 6:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

The saddle that came with my P2 was uncomfortable and led to sore bits, but when I switched to an Adamo saddle there was instant relief. IMO, there are certain parts of a body that shouldn't be toughened up, so get a saddle that doesn't hurt

I may not be female, but I have suffered from a less then optimal seat. I did a saddle demo with my LBS and tried a couple from the Specialized Romin series and a couple of Adamo's. I saw at least 4 Romin's in group one morning and figured they couldn't all be insane. But it just didn't work for me. I ended up with an Adamo Road. And no chamois cream for me, but I do use Anti Monkey Butt, because no one wants to have monkey butt!

Butt I will say this, it did take me a few rides with the new saddle to adjust. And talk with your fitter about the Adamo. There are some adjustments suggested. I worked with the LBS (props to Gary and Melony at RBE!) and they really helped me out.

2014-03-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

IMO, HTFU and bits (be they girly or man) are incompatible (OK, there's one play on words I suppose that's a combination of HTFU and manly bits, but you know what I mean - NOT with regard to riding… a bike that is… Wow, it's tough to escape innuendo here!).

As suggested, you might need to try a few different saddle to find one that it "right" for your anatomy, and even at that you'll need to be fitted properly (or you might pass on a saddle that would work).  I hope you get lucky quickly (again, ignoring the wordplay inherent there - well, almost ignoring it, I guess).  I hope your LBS has a trial policy where you can ride a saddle for a day or two that seemed good on the fitting stand in the shop (many do this, and all should, IMO).

Note of caution, what works on a road bike might not (as in likely won't) work on the tri bike.  I happily ride a saddle on my roadie that would be a total azz-hatchet if I used it on my tri bike.

Good luck!

Matt

2014-03-25 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Finally got to see the quack about mt "general malaise", as Janyne puts it. He prescribed these and told me to HTFU...

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (33KB - 4 downloads)
2014-03-25 8:21 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by RichardsdrrFinally got to see the quack about mt "general malaise", as Janyne puts it. He prescribed these and told me to HTFU...
That is great! I need to get a bottle or 2 to hand out to some people I know!
2014-03-25 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If it's still bothering you after 2-3 decent length rides and you've used different tri shorts on the rides, it's time to go shopping for a different saddle.

I've had good luck with Cobb (better experience the first two season that the third one).  I think that Ann-Marie uses Adamo with some success.  I've also heard good things about the Specialized Lithia.

2014-03-25 8:23 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

IMO, HTFU and bits (be they girly or man) are incompatible (OK, there's one play on words I suppose that's a combination of HTFU and manly bits, but you know what I mean - NOT with regard to riding… a bike that is… Wow, it's tough to escape innuendo here!).

As suggested, you might need to try a few different saddle to find one that it "right" for your anatomy, and even at that you'll need to be fitted properly (or you might pass on a saddle that would work).  I hope you get lucky quickly (again, ignoring the wordplay inherent there - well, almost ignoring it, I guess).  I hope your LBS has a trial policy where you can ride a saddle for a day or two that seemed good on the fitting stand in the shop (many do this, and all should, IMO).

Note of caution, what works on a road bike might not (as in likely won't) work on the tri bike.  I happily ride a saddle on my roadie that would be a total azz-hatchet if I used it on my tri bike.

Good luck!

Matt

On that part, really make sure to talk with whoever is selling to make sure of how it's supposed to fit and get an expectation of how things should progress. Something like an Adamo is likely to take several weeks to be able to handle. They really need to be positioned right as well. A slight tilt can make a very noticeable difference. And from there it can still be likely to need some time to build up. It takes some doing, but keep working on trying to distinguish from an area getting tired vs rubbing the wrong way, or pressing into a bad spot.

2014-03-25 8:25 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK I just wanted to check and say Hi. I have been kind of keeping up with everything but it's normally at about 4am when I can't post coherent thoughts. Thanks for all of the inspires. Sorry but I don't have time to reply to them all individually so I thought I would do a quick update post. The pups are doing great - except for one (who is very healthy) but likes to whine like for 2 hours straight, it's touch and go but he might not make it through another night . They are 2.5 weeks old now and getting really big. The biggest ones are just over 2kg (nearly 5#) and the littlest one is a bit under 1.5kg, she has just discovered that she likes food and so is catching up fast. They all have their eyes open now and are starting to walk rather than belly crawl. Thankfully now they are mostly going 6 hours between feeds so I have managed to get about 4 hours sleep straight for the last 2 nights. Work has been flat out busy. I am actually on annual leave so shouldn't be working (don't tell DH) but the financial auditors are going through our annual financial report and want to know the ins and outs of everything (thank you GFC and new auditing standards in Australia). So most days I have been doing 4 or 5 hours of answering questions for them. DH is still not very well, has major body aches and is exhausted most of the time, he has no energy or strength to do anything much at all and heads to bed really early. He went to a new Dr last week and has been having blood, urine and saliva tests to try and pin point what is wrong. He has a follow up appointment on Friday so hopefully that will give us some answers. Have a great day everyone.

I'm glad that the puppies are doing well! Are you keeping any of them?

Sorry that work is bugging you on your time off.  They need to give you some comp time or something.  That's just not right!

I hope that Phil stops stumping his medical team and gets well soon!  This illness has been dragging out way to long!

2014-03-25 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Since the Manatees are a dog loving group, here is something for your viewing pleasure

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/83959413/

Edited by amd723 2014-03-25 8:59 AM

2014-03-25 9:21 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723 Since the Manatees are a dog loving group, here is something for your viewing pleasure

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/83959413/

LOVE them!!

Stacey - continued good luck with the pups and I hope the doctors find a solution for your husband soon.

Kirsten - saddle pain, been there, ouch!  Pure misery.  My Adamo seems to help better than some other models, but it has to be in just the right position, I've learned.  It takes some tweaking to get it right.  Hope you find a happy place for  your bits soon!

Darren - hope those pills work, they look expensive!   seriously, though, hope you feel better soon.

2014-03-25 9:51 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
They are expensive. Just popped two and ended up buying a pair of 50mm carbon wheels laced to a powertap. Hope my wife appreciates them for Mothering Sunday

On another note, is this the future?
http://phys.org/news/2014-02-3d-printed-metal-bike-strong.html
They are testing the bike at a University 50 miles away from me. Makes me wonder what else could be possible. I have heard there are plans for industrial sized 3d printers on wheels that would be able to print a house in a few days. We can pick up a 3d printer over here for about 1000 pound at the moment, and that price is sure to drop, just wondering what would you print?
2014-03-25 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by RichardsdrrThey are expensive. Just popped two and ended up buying a pair of 50mm carbon wheels laced to a powertap. Hope my wife appreciates them for Mothering Sunday On another note, is this the future? http://phys.org/news/2014-02-3d-printed-metal-bike-strong.htmlTheyare testing the bike at a University 50 miles away from me. Makes me wonder what else could be possible. I have heard there are plans for industrial sized 3d printers on wheels that would be able to print a house in a few days. We can pick up a 3d printer over here for about 1000 pound at the moment, and that price is sure to drop, just wondering what would you print?
That 3d printer stuff is both amazing and scary! My first thought was I could print up chocolate bars, but then decided that was stupid cuz I could just eat the chocolate I'd have to put into the printer!

2014-03-25 10:42 AM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by RichardsdrrThey are expensive. Just popped two and ended up buying a pair of 50mm carbon wheels laced to a powertap. Hope my wife appreciates them for Mothering Sunday On another note, is this the future? http://phys.org/news/2014-02-3d-printed-metal-bike-strong.htmlTheyare testing the bike at a University 50 miles away from me. Makes me wonder what else could be possible. I have heard there are plans for industrial sized 3d printers on wheels that would be able to print a house in a few days. We can pick up a 3d printer over here for about 1000 pound at the moment, and that price is sure to drop, just wondering what would you print?
we actually had one in high school. It was amazing, even then. I never imagined we would be printing houses, pizzas and guns.
2014-03-25 11:20 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hi Manatees, sorry I'm only checking in sporadically but work has been ridiculously busy and it's all I can do to keep up some days... how dare they want me to do... WORK!?!?!

[RANT] Also related to work, there is one person here who is pretty much as useless as on a bull.  She's been here for over 16 years and STILL is unable to do anything at all unless it's pretty much done for her and all that's left is a single mouse click.  Today's example:  unable to find a file on our document management system because she was looking in the wrong directory.  Most people that I know would have checked the search parameters and modified them to what was needed.  Nope, not her - she wanted the workspace folder emailed to her because it would take "too much time out of her day" to find it.  Yeaaaahhh... I responded by telling her to check her search parameters and try again.  She hasn't contacted me since.  [/RANT]

Please keep posting awesome pics of bikes, puppies, kittehs, general shenanigans & hoopla - I think it's all that's keeping me sane at the moment!  

2014-03-25 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Richardsdrr They are expensive. Just popped two and ended up buying a pair of 50mm carbon wheels laced to a powertap. Hope my wife appreciates them for Mothering Sunday On another note, is this the future? http://phys.org/news/2014-02-3d-printed-metal-bike-strong.htmlThey are testing the bike at a University 50 miles away from me. Makes me wonder what else could be possible. I have heard there are plans for industrial sized 3d printers on wheels that would be able to print a house in a few days. We can pick up a 3d printer over here for about 1000 pound at the moment, and that price is sure to drop, just wondering what would you print?

I know a few people who print parts for their vintage airplanes that would otherwise be almost impossible to find.  They, apparently, are very sure of the technique's merits!

Cool stuff, but I'll stick with mainstream suppliers for the moment.  

Matt

2014-03-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hi Manatees, sorry I'm only checking in sporadically but work has been ridiculously busy and it's all I can do to keep up some days... how dare they want me to do... WORK!?!?!

[RANT] Also related to work, there is one person here who is pretty much as useless as on a bull.  She's been here for over 16 years and STILL is unable to do anything at all unless it's pretty much done for her and all that's left is a single mouse click.  Today's example:  unable to find a file on our document management system because she was looking in the wrong directory.  Most people that I know would have checked the search parameters and modified them to what was needed.  Nope, not her - she wanted the workspace folder emailed to her because it would take "too much time out of her day" to find it.  Yeaaaahhh... I responded by telling her to check her search parameters and try again.  She hasn't contacted me since.  [/RANT]

Please keep posting awesome pics of bikes, puppies, kittehs, general shenanigans & hoopla - I think it's all that's keeping me sane at the moment!  

Ugh, i hate people like that!  I have a secretary who tells me constantly that she doesnt know how to do whatever task i ask from her. She will claim she's never done it before.  of course,  it is usually is the 42d time I've asked her to do that task and she will have claimed to have never done it the 41 other times too!!! Ugh, thanks for reminding me about her and getting me upset

2014-03-25 11:43 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Ugh, i hate people like that!  I have a secretary who tells me constantly that she doesnt know how to do whatever task i ask from her. She will claim she's never done it before.  of course,  it is usually is the 42d time I've asked her to do that task and she will have claimed to have never done it the 41 other times too!!! Ugh, thanks for reminding me about her and getting me upset

Awwww - I'm a little sorry... but not really.  Maybe, kinda?  

Yesterday's example for the same person... she was unable to file anything to the patent office because of not having the patent application number to be able upload the documents to the proper file... except that if she had just scrolled to the bottom of the screen there's a place to put in OUR file number and voilà... there's the file!  

Sigh.  

2014-03-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Yesterday's example for the same person... she was unable to file anything to the patent office because of not having the patent application number to be able upload the documents to the proper file... except that if she had just scrolled to the bottom of the screen there's a place to put in OUR file number and voilà... there's the file!  

Sigh.  

Sounds like your lady and mine are sisters.

2014-03-25 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Sigh.  

Send them here. We'll hire them. 

We actually have a department at one of the banks that everyone refers to as "The Boneyard". People are transfered there after they are unable to complete regular work, yet have worked here for a while. We don't want to fire them, but we don't have the heart to unload them. Unfortunately for me, I don't work for that company, so I am not able to qualify for that benefit. And, even better, I constantly get to "help" them do their jobs.

2014-03-25 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Or at the very least, related.  

Go look at the kids & puppies again, that put a smile back on my face! 

2014-03-25 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

Send them here. We'll hire them. 

We actually have a department at one of the banks that everyone refers to as "The Boneyard". People are transfered there after they are unable to complete regular work, yet have worked here for a while. We don't want to fire them, but we don't have the heart to unload them. Unfortunately for me, I don't work for that company, so I am not able to qualify for that benefit. And, even better, I constantly get to "help" them do their jobs.

Apparently we have the same job security here, except that we don't shuffle them anywhere.  Man, I can't wait until I get to coast like that!!  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25111 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37452 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 17681 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.