BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-07-10 2:08 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by melbo55

I survived Steelman but didn't make the time goal I had set for myself.  I don't think it was unrealistic and was pretty bummed I didn't hit it.  I had hoped to go under 2 hours (even if just by seconds, I don't mean way under) but didn't make it at 2:03:23.  Sigh.  I had hoped to clean up the 'unfinished' business at this race by making my time goal but I didn't, so even though this race really kicks my butt, I may need to sign up for it again.  Did I really just say that?!

Congratulations on surviving Steelman! I'm sorry you didn't hit your goal time, but you still killed it!!  Races that challenge us are so much fun - in a man this hurts kind of way!!

2017-07-10 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I survived Steelman but didn't make the time goal I had set for myself.  I don't think it was unrealistic and was pretty bummed I didn't hit it.  I had hoped to go under 2 hours (even if just by seconds, I don't mean way under) but didn't make it at 2:03:23.  Sigh.  I had hoped to clean up the 'unfinished' business at this race by making my time goal but I didn't, so even though this race really kicks my butt, I may need to sign up for it again.  Did I really just say that?!

Oh man Melanie, so close.
I'm sorry that you missed your goal time but well done for finishing, and yes there's always next year
2017-07-10 6:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mel: Sorry you didn't meet your goal, but man, that is seriously impressive! Makes total sense to sign up and try again, even if it's tough. That's the draw!

Sunday's 48 mile road race went better than I had planned for it to go, only because I got to a point where I just wanted to go home, and buckled down to get it done. I really didn't want to do this one, but friends said "coooome ooooon... let's ride it together... we'll make it fun..." Neither of those things happened, so I put my head down and did what I could with a tired body. It was hilly, and it's got a nice long flat segment that I really try to practice 'spinning" on, which I have a really hard time with. My quads and inner thighs started to cramp on every climb about 15 miles out. Yee haw! I KNOW my body's tired when that happens. Ended up with a 7 minute PR. I think if I put more Tabasco on the first 10 miles instead of trying to figure out the whole "have fun and ride together" thing I might have shaved of a few more minutes. In the end it was a solid effort and I got some riding miles in, finally. I still prefer mountain biking.

Can't wait to hear how the rest of you did!!

Happy new week.

Edited by Blanda 2017-07-10 6:36 PM
2017-07-10 7:20 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Blanda Mel: Sorry you didn't meet your goal, but man, that is seriously impressive! Makes total sense to sign up and try again, even if it's tough. That's the draw! Sunday's 48 mile road race went better than I had planned for it to go, only because I got to a point where I just wanted to go home, and buckled down to get it done. I really didn't want to do this one, but friends said "coooome ooooon... let's ride it together... we'll make it fun..." Neither of those things happened, so I put my head down and did what I could with a tired body. It was hilly, and it's got a nice long flat segment that I really try to practice 'spinning" on, which I have a really hard time with. My quads and inner thighs started to cramp on every climb about 15 miles out. Yee haw! I KNOW my body's tired when that happens. Ended up with a 7 minute PR. I think if I put more Tabasco on the first 10 miles instead of trying to figure out the whole "have fun and ride together" thing I might have shaved of a few more minutes. In the end it was a solid effort and I got some riding miles in, finally. I still prefer mountain biking. Can't wait to hear how the rest of you did!! Happy new week.

congrats! You not only PR'd, you did so when you weren't really feeling good thing, pushed your limits, and now know you will do even better next time when you put more Tabasco into it!

My race went well. It was a 7 mile trail race in the dark- or it got dark about 30 minutes in, which made for a cool race with tricky footing and a realization that I need a better headlamp! Trail races have such a different vine than road races- love them. And, I managed to win my AG,which says more about the other women then it tells you about me

2017-07-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

New bike has arrived! Is it wrong to like it more than my kids?!

(new bike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
new bike.JPG (518KB - 4 downloads)
2017-07-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Awesome bike! Are those upgraded wheels or did they come standard? More than your kids....I think that's fair! lol

2017-07-11 11:01 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by tomsimper

New bike has arrived! Is it wrong to like it more than my kids?!

I absolutely love this bike! Especially the color ))
2017-07-11 11:03 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

You almost made it! 2:03 is very impressive and you've done a lot of hard work on it.
I totally understand why you are being upset, though. But hey, like you said, you'll have another opportunity
2017-07-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Blanda Mel: Sorry you didn't meet your goal, but man, that is seriously impressive! Makes total sense to sign up and try again, even if it's tough. That's the draw! Sunday's 48 mile road race went better than I had planned for it to go, only because I got to a point where I just wanted to go home, and buckled down to get it done. I really didn't want to do this one, but friends said "coooome ooooon... let's ride it together... we'll make it fun..." Neither of those things happened, so I put my head down and did what I could with a tired body. It was hilly, and it's got a nice long flat segment that I really try to practice 'spinning" on, which I have a really hard time with. My quads and inner thighs started to cramp on every climb about 15 miles out. Yee haw! I KNOW my body's tired when that happens. Ended up with a 7 minute PR. I think if I put more Tabasco on the first 10 miles instead of trying to figure out the whole "have fun and ride together" thing I might have shaved of a few more minutes. In the end it was a solid effort and I got some riding miles in, finally. I still prefer mountain biking. Can't wait to hear how the rest of you did!! Happy new week.

congrats! You not only PR'd, you did so when you weren't really feeling good thing, pushed your limits, and now know you will do even better next time when you put more Tabasco into it!

My race went well. It was a 7 mile trail race in the dark- or it got dark about 30 minutes in, which made for a cool race with tricky footing and a realization that I need a better headlamp! Trail races have such a different vine than road races- love them. And, I managed to win my AG,which says more about the other women then it tells you about me

Wow! Congrats to both of you )))

I will join the club of trail fanatics... I FELL IN LOVE WITH TRAIL RUNS! I don't even want to think about any road races (except one this year, where i want to beat my brother's time). It's such an amazing experience, I don't know how I lived my life before....

I also want to THANK everyone for you advice for that race. Especially BLANDA, who said: if you are faster walking uphill than running, then walk. And indeed, I was not only faster, but it made me feel better and not use as much energy, when climbing.
My goal was under 3 hours, and I made it in 2:22 minutes, which shocked me (there were no mile markers, so I was not really sure how fast I run). I kept in mind Melanie's point that an effort would feel different than on the road, and even if I feel like I'm giving less, am probably giving as much as needed. So I just listened to my body and stayed conservative.
2017-07-11 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by tomsimperNew bike has arrived! Is it wrong to like it more than my kids?![/QUOTEWoo Hoo! I'm sure your kids understand!
2017-07-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by marysia83

Wow! Congrats to both of you ))) I will join the club of trail fanatics... I FELL IN LOVE WITH TRAIL RUNS! I don't even want to think about any road races (except one this year, where i want to beat my brother's time). It's such an amazing experience, I don't know how I lived my life before....I also want to THANK everyone for you advice for that race. Especially BLANDA, who said: if you are faster walking uphill than running, then walk. And indeed, I was not only faster, but it made me feel better and not use as much energy, when climbing.My goal was under 3 hours, and I made it in 2:22 minutes, which shocked me (there were no mile markers, so I was not really sure how fast I run). I kept in mind Melanie's point that an effort would feel different than on the road, and even if I feel like I'm giving less, am probably giving as much as needed. So I just listened to my body and stayed conservative.
Well done!! So glad you enjoyed the experience. Trail races are the best!!

2017-07-11 11:23 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Awesome bike! Are those upgraded wheels or did they come standard? More than your kids....I think that's fair! lol

Standard wheels with the bike, can't wait to ride it tomorrow (raining today and running later)
2017-07-11 12:56 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Tom: your new bike is HAWT!!  Congrats! 

Blanda: I love your ' put more Tabasco on' comment!  And congrats on sticking to it despite the cramps and being tired - a 7 minute PR?!  Awesome!!

Ann-Marie: glad you had so much fun on your trail run and stayed upright in the dark AND won your AG!  Niiiice!!

Mary G: big congrats to you on also having so much trail fun AND exceeding your goal time, that's great!

2017-07-12 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Tom: your new bike is HAWT!!  Congrats! 

Blanda: I love your ' put more Tabasco on' comment!  And congrats on sticking to it despite the cramps and being tired - a 7 minute PR?!  Awesome!!

Ann-Marie: glad you had so much fun on your trail run and stayed upright in the dark AND won your AG!  Niiiice!!

Mary G: big congrats to you on also having so much trail fun AND exceeding your goal time, that's great!

All of this!

2017-07-12 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by tomsimper New bike has arrived! Is it wrong to like it more than my kids?!

Nice new ride, Congrats.

It has been added to the Bike gallery: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Albums/Album/17246

2017-07-12 2:43 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

2017-07-12 3:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

All the rain recently and seems a fair part of the county is going underwater. Pics & vids looking like Holland with roads being under. I'm fine as the river that's doing this is a bit farther from me.

2017-07-12 3:48 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Race report is finished!

I love your report! How are you feeling today?
2017-07-12 6:49 PM

User image

Master
Thank you, Ann-Marie! Your night race sounds like good fun! I tried one night time trail run, and boy it's tough not turning an ankle when you can't see well. Congratulations on the AG win!

That's a sweet looking ride! Congratulations, and happy riding!

Mary, I'm so glad you had a successful trail race, and had fun! So happy I had something useful to share, for once, haha! You know when my friend shared that piece of advice with me? When he was WALKING behind me "Running" up a hill. Forever thankful for that. Time for an Xterra race for you!

Melanie, Tabasco=Fire=Urgency! I use it for all my sports. Especially with the kids I coach, who find it hilarious. :D Holy laps, legs, and loops! That was a lot of swimming! Way to hang in there after a some Kung Fu action. I'm so impressed!

Well, it's Thursday and I haven't gotten a ride or swim in yet. It's been rainy, and I'm very nervous about riding on the road in this kind of weather. The trails are under water, so no mountain biking either. I've been trying to get in more running. Trying to get at least a short cool down run after gym time. I miss WANTING to run. It made the running fitness just happen. I'll get there again.

This weekend was supposed to be our 6 hour MTB endurance race, but it's not happening. I'm so bummed!! I love that one and it's supposed to be a night one, too! Boo hoo! Oh well. Hopefully I'll get my last solid long ride and run in before 7/23 Oly.

Hope you're having a super day!
2017-07-13 12:06 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Race report is finished!

I love your report! How are you feeling today?

Slowly returning to my version of normal

2017-07-13 12:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

All the rain recently and seems a fair part of the county is going underwater. Pics & vids looking like Holland with roads being under. I'm fine as the river that's doing this is a bit farther from me.

Apparently the county may have declared disaster. Some vids and pics.

My sister is back visiting and in trying to go visit some friends has been trying to figure out what bridges aren't underwater to get there. I don't know if any actually were, but they're close.

Edited by brigby1 2017-07-13 12:54 PM

2017-07-13 1:03 PM

User image

Master

Wow! Congrats to both of you ))) I will join the club of trail fanatics... I FELL IN LOVE WITH TRAIL RUNS! I don't even want to think about any road races (except one this year, where i want to beat my brother's time). It's such an amazing experience, I don't know how I lived my life before.... I also want to THANK everyone for you advice for that race. Especially BLANDA, who said: if you are faster walking uphill than running, then walk. And indeed, I was not only faster, but it made me feel better and not use as much energy, when climbing. My goal was under 3 hours, and I made it in 2:22 minutes, which shocked me (there were no mile markers, so I was not really sure how fast I run). I kept in mind Melanie's point that an effort would feel different than on the road, and even if I feel like I'm giving less, am probably giving as much as needed. So I just listened to my body and stayed conservative.

Congrats Mel, Ann-Marie and Mary!  Awesome job by all.

2017-07-13 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by tomsimper New bike has arrived! Is it wrong to like it more than my kids?!

Orange is definitely one of the fastest colors! :-D

2017-07-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

Orange is definitely one of the fastest colors! :-D

I bet that's why you're wearing it in your profile pic
2017-07-14 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Apparently the county may have declared disaster. Some vids and pics.

My sister is back visiting and in trying to go visit some friends has been trying to figure out what bridges aren't underwater to get there. I don't know if any actually were, but they're close.

Stay safe! That looks like some serious stuff.

Edited by cdban66 2017-07-14 6:27 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102