User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Jason N
Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by TankBoy
Originally posted by GoFaster

Long runs on the treadmill...I'm dreading this as a possibility, but know it's a probability.

Yeah, that has also proven to be a pathway to injury for me as well for some reason. Whenever I see Fred putting in day after day of "Hospital Treadmill" runs in I honestly have thought to myself that maybe I should get my own hospital treadmill - that way I wouldn't have to go very far to get my knees replaced.... Like I said, I think my legs are made out of glass compared to you guys....

Yup.  I've embraced my inner snow ninja for this reason.

Oh man, are we getting to that time of year where you all start complaining about snow again? 

I promise to wait until after Kona.

2013-10-03 2:39 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-03 2:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

2013-10-03 3:08 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by Fred D

Question for everyone, but certainly looking for Marc's input on this one.

After all my back and forth, and asking how to improve my cycling, swimming, etc., I've decided to give a marathon a go.  After spending a few weeks in the Hokas I feel reasonably confident that I can get through all the training required for the marathon.  But to not go overboard, I'm going to follow a 24 week plan, maxing out at 55mpw.  Marathon is in May, and I'm just going to continue to follow the BarryP approach till mid-November and then transition to the actual marathon plan.  I am definitely intimidated by the number of km, but figure it's time to try the marathon distance, with a goal of a BQ time (3:15 or better for me).

So, my question - is it unreasonable to hope to make any gains on the bike during this same time period, or should I accept that I just need to try and maintain (although I've barely been riding lately).  Either way, since most of my time will be spent on my trainer, what type of rides/workouts should I focus on week in/week out.  With the amount of running in the plan, I don't wnat to sabotage myself on either front.

The reason I singled out Marc was because he followed the 100 runs in 100 days challenge, but I know he was still riding.  All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

. Neil, what is the MAIN goal for 2014? Is it BQ or is it a tri goal? If you go for the May marathon that's great, but it don't think that will necessarily help tri goals.

Now that you mention it, that's a very good question to ask as it wasn't too long ago there was some discussion on a bike focus over the winter to improve that.

2013-10-03 3:10 PM

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by brigby1

Just wanted to share, but have been able to ride VAMs in the mid 1,200s.

I know I can't maintain all of this bike fitness when I get back to fully running and swimming (although running is coming along).... But my question to the group is do you think I will benefit any next year with some residual fitness with this shard group effort riding?

I'd be fairly confident that you'll be better off by having improved your cycling now. It doesn't take as much to maintain or regain it, so even it if does slide a little, you'll still be ahead of if you hadn't done it. How much you maintain will depend on how things play out, but this was definitely a good thing.

. Yeah it was a good thing and very fun as well. This year my goals had to be adjusted due to injury and I decided I wanted to do IMMT 70.3 (and try to defend the honor of the USA lol) and then ride with roadies. The riding was just pure fun. Starting in January I am thinking of a bare bones cycling plan to allow swim and run focus. What do you think would be a decent bare minimum? I was thinking 2 rides a week of 1 hour at higher intensity? Thoughts?

I don't really know as this concept of "bare minimum" literally does not compute when referring to the bike.

2013-10-03 3:16 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1

Question for everyone, but certainly looking for Marc's input on this one.

After all my back and forth, and asking how to improve my cycling, swimming, etc., I've decided to give a marathon a go.  After spending a few weeks in the Hokas I feel reasonably confident that I can get through all the training required for the marathon.  But to not go overboard, I'm going to follow a 24 week plan, maxing out at 55mpw.  Marathon is in May, and I'm just going to continue to follow the BarryP approach till mid-November and then transition to the actual marathon plan.  I am definitely intimidated by the number of km, but figure it's time to try the marathon distance, with a goal of a BQ time (3:15 or better for me).

So, my question - is it unreasonable to hope to make any gains on the bike during this same time period, or should I accept that I just need to try and maintain (although I've barely been riding lately).  Either way, since most of my time will be spent on my trainer, what type of rides/workouts should I focus on week in/week out.  With the amount of running in the plan, I don't wnat to sabotage myself on either front.

The reason I singled out Marc was because he followed the 100 runs in 100 days challenge, but I know he was still riding.  All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

. Neil, what is the MAIN goal for 2014? Is it BQ or is it a tri goal? If you go for the May marathon that's great, but it don't think that will necessarily help tri goals.

Now that you mention it, that's a very good question to ask as it wasn't too long ago there was some discussion on a bike focus over the winter to improve that.

Yep - that's why I mentioned in the second sentence that I know I've been flip flopping all over the place on how I want to focus this winter. 

I guess I've got 2 main goals for 2014, one early season and one late season. 

Early season - train the winter with a run focus and try to maintain bike fitness and run a BQ time the first week in May.
Late season - switch back to more bike focus for the rest of the season and take another crack at the Muskoka 70.3 in September

2013-10-03 3:27 PM

2013-10-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ok, so it's established that you can do both.  Next - how do you balance out the efforts?  Recognizing that most of the bike work is going to be VO2 and Threshold type efforts, how do I fit those around longer and/or harder days of running.  I keep thinking back to previous discussions of keeping easy/rest days as such, and saving the harder work only for hard days - but that seems like too much on the hard/big days. 

I don't have anything to add, but I did want to see if anyone has input on this part.

With respect to keeping the hard days hard and the easy days easy, what kinds of things should you be thinking about?  For example, say you do a hard ride on Thursday followed by a hard swim on Friday, is that two hard days back-to-back?  Or is it one hard day of riding followed by an easy (off) day of riding?  And one day of easy (off)  day of swimming followed by one day of hard swimming? 

Also, what's considered hard?  I'm currently trying to build my run volume up from nothing....all of my runs are in Zone 2, but I wouldn't necessarily call them "easy" for me...

For me, a typical week is:

Monday - off or easy run
Tuesday - AM bike,  PM hard run 
Wed - AM swim, PM easy run
Thurs - AM bike, PM hard run 
Fri - AM swim, PM easy run
Sat - long ride, possibly short easy run
Sun - Long run (which can fall under the category of hard if it's long enough)

The swims are usually hard but rarely affect me the next day (they might if I tried to swim again).  Bike is always hard in some way or another.

Alright, given your success (and that Shane knows what he's doing as a coach), I'm going to hope I can be fairly successful, as my schedule looks almost exactly like yours:

Monday - AM swim (after leg-heavy weekend)

Tuesday - AM bike, PM run

Wednesday - AM swim, PM run

Thursday - AM bike

Friday - AM swim, PM run

Saturday - long run, possible ride (been doing this more often than not with my limited run volume)

Saturday - long ride, short run

All swims are with Master's group and are hard.  Pretty much all my riding is done on the trainer (and thus hard), except the long ride.  All runs are "easy" at the moment.

2013-10-03 6:13 PM

Neil, I'm leaning towards Fred's perspective on this.  I *think* it's going to be really hard for you to maintain bike fitness if you really want to BQ.  You're going to be pushing your run training load to new boundaries, and even if you do build slowly, I think it's going to take a toll.  And while it's possible to BQ on a max of 55 mpw, it will probably need to have quite a bit of intensity in there.

Now, if you were someone that already had experience running 50+ mpw for extended periods of time, or if you had already BQ'd previously, then it may be a different story as your goal isn't to necessarily push new boundaries, but to simply get back to the run fitness you had previously and simply add some biking on top of that.

Speaking for myself, when I was training for my first marathon, running 40+ mpw was quite foreign to me.  It was a challenge to maintain that type of volume while still getting in any significant swimming or biking.  I ran just under 4 hours that year.

Fast forward to now, and I'm pretty sure I could run the same mileage as I did in 2009, train for a sub 4 marathon, and still add 3-4x a week of riding with some intensity.  But if you told me that I had to run 50+ mpw, train for a sub 3:35 marathon goal, and still maintain my bike fitness...not likely.  I'd probably have to choose one or the other...or both goals would suffer.

2013-10-04 5:22 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Neil,

Everyone I know that tried a late spring marathon compromised their tri season.

Don't ignore the recovery time. I am not sure what Marathon you are targeting but many friends who did Ottawa, didn't get back to biking until mid June which is late to build your bike fitness if you want to do well at Muskoka

Ever thought of a late fall Marathon, having done a lot of running all year long ?

2013-10-04 7:46 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Alright, given your success (and that Shane knows what he's doing as a coach), I'm going to hope I can be fairly successful, as my schedule looks almost exactly like yours:

Monday - AM swim (after leg-heavy weekend)

Tuesday - AM bike, PM run

Wednesday - AM swim, PM run

Thursday - AM bike

Friday - AM swim, PM run

Saturday - long run, possible ride (been doing this more often than not with my limited run volume)

Saturday - long ride, short run

All swims are with Master's group and are hard.  Pretty much all my riding is done on the trainer (and thus hard), except the long ride.  All runs are "easy" at the moment.

The working hard on several days in a row can work if you have more fitness built up and in this case you're also switching up the areas worked. Swimming and biking are quite different so this can work. And it also depends on just how much you're pushing, both how hard and how long. Something like 2 x 20' @95% or so is a pretty good workout, but it's not going to have the same effect on the day after as say 3 x 20' @89-92% plus 45' @85-90% over a 3-3.5 hr ride.

It's also possible to time it so that the consecutive days are working at different points. Such as with a cycling block that comes up every now and then. Day 1: 2 x 20'@95%, Day 2: 5 x 5' @110-115% (or 1 x 20' @100-105%), Day 3: rest or very easy spinning 30-60'. This is quite challenging to do, but does make for some nice gains.

Running is the one to be most careful of due to the loading. The other two can go consecutive, but it tends to work better when there are bigger and smaller loads involved. It's not just yes/no. Many would also tend to fall into going not quite hard enough to be hard and not quite easy enough to really recover if they went day after day too.

2013-10-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: marcag

Elite
Ontario

Well crap....everything you've all said makes sense, and doing a little more reading on marathon recovery is pointing at about 3 weeks.  So now I'm torn as to what to do.  Given that Muskoka is in September, even if I targeted a November marathon, that puts a large bulk of the marathon training overlapping with HIM training - it also means that if I did BQ it wouldn't be till the 2016 edition.

But I also don't want to blow my Tri season trying to chase a marathon time, that I fully realize may not be at all possible given this is my first marathon, and will be a complete learning experience come race day. 

Ugh, things to think about.

2013-10-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

Got in to Escape From Alcatraz...  For some reason, not 100% sure I'll sign up, but it's on everyone's bucket list and consistently one of the "races you have to do" type things.  I've swam Alcatraz 3X so that's not the attraction....   It's a pretty expensive weekend with race fees, air, getting the bike up there, hotel, etc.  Most likely I will

I'm still weighing a 2014 IM, but Alcatraz would be the first leg of my Awesome 2014 Tri Tour, Leg 2 would be Wildflower Long (no issues getting in) and Leg 3 would be SOS (tough to get in....). 

ETA someone else from our little group got in as well, but won't steal their thunder

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-04 11:33 AM
2013-10-04 11:37 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ChrisM

Got in to Escape From Alcatraz...  For some reason, not 100% sure I'll sign up, but it's on everyone's bucket list and consistently one of the "races you have to do" type things.  I've swam Alcatraz 3X so that's not the attraction....   It's a pretty expensive weekend with race fees, air, getting the bike up there, hotel, etc.  Most likely I will

I'm still weighing a 2014 IM, but Alcatraz would be the first leg of my Awesome 2014 Tri Tour, Leg 2 would be Wildflower Long (no issues getting in) and Leg 3 would be SOS (tough to get in....). 

ETA someone else from our little group got in as well, but won't steal their thunder

Sweet, congrats!  That would be an awesome Tri Tour!  When do they announce SOS?

2013-10-04 11:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Given that Muskoka is in September, even if I targeted a November marathon, that puts a large bulk of the marathon training overlapping with HIM training

If you time things, you can be doing 40mpw at the end of August.

40mpw by the end of August will only be good for Muskoka,

You taper 1 week, you recover 1 week and you keep on building for 1/2 of Sept and October.

Philadelphia is a good November marathon according to friends and is mid November.

Or you pick a HIM a bit earlier.. Timberman for example

2013-10-04 11:50 AM

Extreme Veteran

Got in to Escape From Alcatraz...

Congratulations. I would love to try one day but first I have to learn to swim
I have been trying to swim a bit more, I am actually starting to tolerate it. Not like, but tolerate.

someone else from our little group got in as well, but won't steal their thunder

Congrats to them
By the way, we do have a good little group here. I read other groups and I have to say, this is a pretty good place to be

2013-10-04 12:09 PM

Sweet, congrats!  That would be an awesome Tri Tour!  When do they announce SOS?

SOS opens Halloween night.  Doesn't sell out in seconds, more like minutes.  But I may have an inside track on that, we'll see

2013-10-04 12:11 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

SOS opens Halloween night.  Doesn't sell out in seconds, more like minutes.  But I may have an inside track on that, we'll see

Ahh, I thought it was a lottery as well.  I'll be on a cruise ship, I guess I'm out.  

2013-10-04 12:16 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Congrats!  Why not just drive?  LA to SF isn't that far, and beats paying for air fare and figuring out logistics for getting the bike up there. 

Alcatraz is definitely on my list of races to do....after I move back to LA

2013-10-04 12:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Guys,

check out the tourdegiro.com thread in TT

This could be cool. We could set up virtual rides/races.

I could set my weight to 110 lbs so with my watts could keep up with Fred.

This is the time of the year to be planning these things....the geese are flying south, that's a sign. Now, just because they don't have geese in hawaii doesn't mean they shouldn't be planning....

2013-10-04 12:22 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag Guys, check out the tourdegiro.com thread in TT This could be cool. We could set up virtual rides/races. I could set my weight to 110 lbs so with my watts could keep up with Fred. This is the time of the year to be planning these things....the geese are flying south, that's a sign. Now, just because they don't have geese in hawaii doesn't mean they shouldn't be planning....

I've been watching that app's progress on Facebook for a while, it looks pretty neat.  Only reason I haven't tried it is because my internet connection at home is so unstable it would be very frustrating.

2013-10-04 12:29 PM

Originally posted by marcag Guys, check out the tourdegiro.com thread in TT This could be cool. We could set up virtual rides/races. I could set my weight to 110 lbs so with my watts could keep up with Fred. This is the time of the year to be planning these things....the geese are flying south, that's a sign. Now, just because they don't have geese in hawaii doesn't mean they shouldn't be planning....

It's about time they set something up like this.  We do have geese in Hawaii.  In fact, our state bird is a Nene Goose.  It doesn't seem to like to fly anywhere though.  If you guys are willing to set up a challenge at around midnight EST, then I'm game...LOL.

2013-10-04 1:33 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

\We do have geese in Hawaii.  In fact, our state bird is a Nene Goose. 

And who can you thank ? yep ....Canada

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_%28bird%29

"The Nene evolved from the Canada Goose which most likely arrived on the Hawaiian islands about 500,000 years ago"

Canadians were flying to Hawaii 500,000 years ago.....that's how bad our winters are.

2013-10-04 2:00 PM

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N \We do have geese in Hawaii.  In fact, our state bird is a Nene Goose. 
And who can you thank ? yep ....Canada From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_%28bird%29"The Nene evolved from the Canada Goose which most likely arrived on the Hawaiian islands about 500,000 years ago" Canadians were flying to Hawaii 500,000 years ago.....that's how bad our winters are.

I thought we all agreed that Canadians weren't going to start complaining about their winters until after Kona. 

That's funny though.  And you wonder why they didn't fly back in the summer.  They rather worry about becoming extinct here in Hawaii than go back to Canada.  LOL.

2013-10-04 2:03 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Well crap....everything you've all said makes sense, and doing a little more reading on marathon recovery is pointing at about 3 weeks.  So now I'm torn as to what to do.  Given that Muskoka is in September, even if I targeted a November marathon, that puts a large bulk of the marathon training overlapping with HIM training - it also means that if I did BQ it wouldn't be till the 2016 edition.

But I also don't want to blow my Tri season trying to chase a marathon time, that I fully realize may not be at all possible given this is my first marathon, and will be a complete learning experience come race day. 

Ugh, things to think about.

Are you set on Muskoka vs. just any ol' 70.3?  Also, is BQ for 2015 (rather than 2016) something of high importance - for whatever reason (scheduling, family, etc.)?

The marathon after tri season is much easier to figure out from a training standpoint, IMO.  Early 70.3 would even allow you to possibly shoot for a last minute BQ attempt (there are a few races JUST before the qual opens), and your base would be solid coming into that training (especially if you pushed slightly more on the run during the tri build).

The other way around is just tough.  I have a number of very competitive Cross racing buds who will NEVER again run even an early season HM (competitively - not just to complete) and certainly not a marry as many of them have tried in years past and swear the high volume and intensity run block scuppered their fall Cx season months later.

If that particular race is a priority and BQ for 2015 is also one, then it is going to be tough (as said above) to do both.

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.