BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-15 10:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

First off, I know that I am the only one here watching the Giro but -- Hands, can you imagine riding a bike with a dislocated shoulder?  I'm not a Contador fan and this doesn't make me one but geez... (edited with more info:  They say that it is not dislocated any longer but he said yesterday that he dislocated it in the crash and then dislocated it again getting ready to go onto the podium (he's GC leader).  He could not/did not move his left arm at all on the podium and did not put on the jersey offered to him.  I don't know if that is really two dislocations or not.  Also, let point out that an XRay will not show tendon/ligament damage.  They said that he had an XRay.  I have not seen that he had an MRI but maybe he did?)

I suppose the Drs will shoot him up with some lovely drugs!!  But, no, I can't imagine riding like that !!

2015-05-15 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events

May 16-17
Melanie - Got the Nerve? Triathlon on Saturday
Robin - Colfax Half Maraton on Sunday
Janyne - Tour de Cure bike ride (both days)
Kate - Auburn Mini Triathlon on Sunday
Chris - Storm Challenge Tri on Sunday
Randee - Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Stacey - back

May 16 is Yanti's birthday

Awesome stuff!!

Mel - You def have the nerve! Go get 'em...

Robin - Workin' Colfax!!!!!!!!!! 

Janyne - Rubber side down!!!!!!!!

Kate - Full effort on your mini tri

Chris - Hopefully no storms in your challenge!

Randee - Beer AND good weather! You're winning already!

Stacey - heal up and get your mojo going {{hugs}}

2015-05-15 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

Look at all the pretty text colors!!  Lots of racing Manatees again this week!!

GO RACERS GO!!

Get that back healed up Stacey! 

2015-05-15 10:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

First off, I know that I am the only one here watching the Giro but -- Hands, can you imagine riding a bike with a dislocated shoulder?  I'm not a Contador fan and this doesn't make me one but geez... (edited with more info:  They say that it is not dislocated any longer but he said yesterday that he dislocated it in the crash and then dislocated it again getting ready to go onto the podium (he's GC leader).  He could not/did not move his left arm at all on the podium and did not put on the jersey offered to him.  I don't know if that is really two dislocations or not.  Also, let point out that an XRay will not show tendon/ligament damage.  They said that he had an XRay.  I have not seen that he had an MRI but maybe he did?)

I suppose the Drs will shoot him up with some more lovely drugs!!  But, no, I can't imagine riding like that !!

fixed that for ya

2015-05-15 11:34 AM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

W00t w00t Go racers and happy bday Yanti!

2015-05-15 11:37 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm working on the ToC before I start the Giro but I did see this in Velo News.  Like you, I'm not a fan, but that is some crazy chit! I also like that Sky is letting Richie take the lead on this one!

The mental toughness of tour riders has been welled documented time and again.  These guys surpass thresholds like very few other athletes.  A very special breed for which I will always have tremendous respect for.

2015-05-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ref running drills to correct my overstriding, look what popped up on my FB page yesterday. Perfect timing. http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/drills-help-fill-out-your-form?adbid=10153301253037090&adbpl=fb&adbpr=23403427089&cid=socTP_20150514_45731476&short_code=2znvz

Before camp, I was carrying out drill 1 on all of my runs. Listening to a 180 bpm music track to get the cadence. I got my cadence up but this has resulted in me running with "feet out back" style of running as the coach described it. I now need to try to implement the higher knees style of running without bringing in over striding whilst keeping my cadence up Should I try drill 2 and 3?

Maybe. For me, driving the knee better has also come from being able to kick the heel up better, as in bending the knee some more at the back of the stride in the follow through and into the recovery/knee drive start. Some quick heel kicks (or mule kicks maybe?) have helped with that. Chorus line girls can drive their knees high, but the can-canning motion isn't terribly efficient for running.

But even more so, things like these can help develop the ability of some specific areas, but what has really driven development for me was being able to work in the faster running. None of the drills really did all that much to my stride until I began to do that. And do know that this is NOT saying to run yourself into the ground or anything like that!

The instructor asked us to do the heel kick drill to see what we'd do. All of us began running on the spot, flicking our heels back to touch our backsides. This, he said was wrong. He then had us touching our heels to our bums but by bending the knees out front. Imagine high knees, but with the foot tucked up with the heel touching your butt instead of hanging from your knee out front. I think I do what you described whilst doing my strides, kinda accentuating the running. To me, when I do that, it feels more like I'm riding a bike with really big crank arms, if that makes any sense.
Thanks for this guys. I tend to be a long strider (160 cadence). I've tried to up my cadence, but haven't been able to since I didn't know what I was doing. I will look into drills and start implementing them.

Do know that I don't really spend much time drilling. Mainly just a couple minutes as part of the warm-up.

2015-05-15 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm working on the ToC before I start the Giro but I did see this in Velo News.  Like you, I'm not a fan, but that is some crazy chit! I also like that Sky is letting Richie take the lead on this one!

The mental toughness of tour riders has been welled documented time and again.  These guys surpass thresholds like very few other athletes.  A very special breed for which I will always have tremendous respect for.

Janyne, I'm not watching the Giro but I am following it and the ToC closely via Velo News.  Not quite the same but it's still fun to stay abreast of the action.

Velo News reported that Contador "wasn't in serious pain" and that the official race report said that he was in "slight" pain after the accident.  I agree with you, Steve.  Those guys, even with pain meds, have a higher pain tolerance than I'll ever have!  And then to get back on the bike, knowing that it could happen again at any time.Wow.  (P.S. I'm not a Contador fan either but gotta respect his grit in the face of some pretty horrific injuries like this and last year's TdF leg injury.)

Edited by laffinrock 2015-05-15 11:42 AM
2015-05-15 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

Lots more action in the pod.  Good luck racers.  Race smart and be safe.

Hope your back gets better soon Stacey

And a special birthday well wish for you Yanti.

2015-05-15 11:51 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!  I'm looking forward to giving Robin a special Manatee whoop/holler shout-out at her HM.  I'm really going to have to put together a Manatee Cheerleader outfit, given all the pod members racing in the area this year.  Any suggestions are welcome, with the exception of a full body manatee costume.  I draw the line at dancing around in a gigantic foam/fur suit.  I do have a shred of dignity and I'd like to retain that, thank you.

Stacey, I'm sending healing thoughts and as much mojo as I can spare to you.  Hopefully it'll make it there soon.

Yanti, happy happy b-day to you, dear one!!  Hope this next year is filled with many Pop Tarts, fur kid snuggles, and stretches of Kingley time.

Happy weekend everybody!!!

2015-05-15 11:52 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

One of these days I need to invest in more cable channels.  I love to watch the tours but only pick up a little live coverage here and there.  I did find all eight stages of the TdC on youtube from last year.  Road on the trainer the other night around Sacramento with the peleton.

Yesterday was so frustrating.  I planned to swim during lunch but had to pick up my son from school as they had early release.  My wife was going to but she was hosting a baby shower and she was all freaked out because the cake she ordered wasn't right and she had to go deal with it.  Planned to do a six mile run before my son's baseball game while they warmed up but we were late because he got a sliver in his foot and he was freaking out.  So an unplanned rest day which isn't all bad but if anyone messes with my brick this weekend I'm going to go ballistic.

2015-05-15 11:52 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GOOOOOOOO, RACING MANATEES!!!!   HEEEEAAAALLLL, Stacey!!!

HAPPY BIRFDAY, YANTI!!!!  Celebrate in style!

Be safe out there and have fun!

Adding a 'cheer for' plug - my good pal 'Cuda' is racing the Great Wall Half Marathon on 5/16, no small or easy feat! Check out the pics and/or videos, it looks brutal!

2015-05-15 11:55 AM

User image

Seattle

One of these days I need to invest in more cable channels.  I love to watch the tours but only pick up a little live coverage here and there.  I did find all eight stages of the TdC on youtube from last year.  Road on the trainer the other night around Sacramento with the peleton.

Yesterday was so frustrating.  I planned to swim during lunch but had to pick up my son from school as they had early release.  My wife was going to but she was hosting a baby shower and she was all freaked out because the cake she ordered wasn't right and she had to go deal with it.  Planned to do a six mile run before my son's baseball game while they warmed up but we were late because he got a sliver in his foot and he was freaking out.  So an unplanned rest day which isn't all bad but if anyone messes with my brick this weekend I'm going to go ballistic.

Yeahhhh, good outlook. It's life, and taking care of those things is much more important in the grand scheme. 

2015-05-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by laffinrock

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!  I'm looking forward to giving Robin a special Manatee whoop/holler shout-out at her HM.  I'm really going to have to put together a Manatee Cheerleader outfit, given all the pod members racing in the area this year.  Any suggestions are welcome, with the exception of a full body manatee costume.  I draw the line at dancing around in a gigantic foam/fur suit.  I do have a shred of dignity and I'd like to retain that, thank you.

Stacey, I'm sending healing thoughts and as much mojo as I can spare to you.  Hopefully it'll make it there soon.

Yanti, happy happy b-day to you, dear one!!  Hope this next year is filled with many Pop Tarts, fur kid snuggles, and stretches of Kingley time.

Here you go Mary.  I think this is quite dignified.

2015-05-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

So I have to fess up...I've been slightly frustrated about, well, I guess just working really hard but (almost) always falling short to the men in races. I always have to say I won overall women. Not just simply "I won."  I realize it's out of my control (well, for the most part) but sometimes it just sucks. Sometimes I would almost prefer having separate races. We will never run faster than men. That's hard to swallow! 

I had recalled reading this article a while back, and at least I'm not alone

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/i-run-like-a-girl

The quote " I didn’t want to be good “for a girl.” I wanted to be GOOD, PERIOD." really resonated with me.

I'm not sure if any of the other ladies in here feel this. 

2015-05-15 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, sometimes real life makes it hard to train. My lowest training week for my marathon was the week I had a ton of stuff at work and DS2's graduation.

2015-05-15 12:07 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

So I have to fess up...I've been slightly frustrated about, well, I guess just working really hard but (almost) always falling short to the men in races. I always have to say I won overall women. Not just simply "I won."  I realize it's out of my control (well, for the most part) but sometimes it just sucks. Sometimes I would almost prefer having separate races. We will never run faster than men. That's hard to swallow! 

The quote " I didn’t want to be good “for a girl.” I wanted to be GOOD, PERIOD." really resonated with me.

I"m not even fast enough to be considered good "for a girl" or "for my age" but I do understand your frustration. I watch Rinny and even Chrissie and see that even as awesome as they are the men are still faster.  

2015-05-15 12:10 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I"m not even fast enough to be considered good "for a girl" or "for my age" but I do understand your frustration. I watch Rinny and even Chrissie and see that even as awesome as they are the men are still faster.  

I do like that the boy she referenced name was Rocky.

I can't help but think of National Lampoons

2015-05-15 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I suppose the Drs will shoot him up with some more lovely drugs!!  But, no, I can't imagine riding like that !!

fixed that for ya

Spanish Beef!

2015-05-15 12:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Janyne, I'm not watching the Giro but I am following it and the ToC closely via Velo News.  Not quite the same but it's still fun to stay abreast of the action.

Velo News reported that Contador "wasn't in serious pain" and that the official race report said that he was in "slight" pain after the accident.  I agree with you, Steve.  Those guys, even with pain meds, have a higher pain tolerance than I'll ever have!  And then to get back on the bike, knowing that it could happen again at any time.Wow.  (P.S. I'm not a Contador fan either but gotta respect his grit in the face of some pretty horrific injuries like this and last year's TdF leg injury.)

They lied, he was clearly pale and in pain on the podium.  He got on the bike after the crash and rode the final 100 yards or so to the finish line and the announcers were all like "thankfully he wasn't hurt" and then when it came to podium time, they changed their tune.

2015-05-15 12:20 PM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

Pfffft...forget dignified.

2015-05-15 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

They lied, he was clearly pale and in pain on the podium.  He got on the bike after the crash and rode the final 100 yards or so to the finish line and the announcers were all like "thankfully he wasn't hurt" and then when it came to podium time, they changed their tune.

Oh! Speaking of announcers, back to that conversation. I like Phil but on one stage he called it the Tour de France and during the course of the same broadcast said "welcome back to Southern Carolina" WHAAAAA?! And they had NO idea how to pronounce Skujins' name on Stage 3.

2015-05-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because Mary is definitely a super hero Manatee!!!!!!!!!

2015-05-15 12:39 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

O
M
G
2015-05-15 12:40 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Racing Manatees!

May 16-17

Disabled List
Stacey - back

Love it. LOL.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15833 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28864 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67475 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56086 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.