General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-08 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1513838

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: RE: Coming up out of the swim - any problems with mussels?

sbrdave - 2008-07-08 9:19 AM As this is my first Musselman, I thought I'd ask whether the mussels have caused anyone any problems coming up out of the swim? I read several race reports and it doesn't appear that anyone has, even though there was a low water level one year and folks were walking a good stretch. I had seen video with some folks in T1 with Aqua Socks on, but I didn't know how many folks were using those. So, any issues here? I'd hate to have to bike and then run with cut feet.

If you enter and exit the lake where they tell you to you shouldn't have any problems. If I remember correctly the zebra mussels gather where it's very rocky. This is a topic they cover at the pre-race meeting. I recall a few people duct taping their feet to prevent cuts.

The water was low last year, people walked for a long time. I swam while they walked, I figured my legs had plenty to do later that day. 

2008-07-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1222143

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon
MUSSELMAN IS THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Are there any plans for a BT meet-and-greet?
2008-07-09 3:51 PM

New user

Great to read from the Musselman veterans! This will be my first HIM, and I've read great stuff about this race so, I'm really looking forward to it.
I rode the old bike course in May (before they changed it) and was feeling pretty confident (slow... but confident) now, with the new one, I'm not feeling as confident but, will plan on driving the course on Saturday.

How about the run? For slower folks like myself, it looks like I will be running in the mid day sun (not so much fun) but, we'll see.

My wife has volunteered to work at the finish line. she'll be the one holding on to our miniature poodle so, say hello to Gretchen as you get your medals.

Thanks
-Dan

Edited by ds97a 2008-07-09 3:52 PM
2008-07-09 4:03 PM

Enjoy the Musselman.  I was ready to join you all but a bike/car wreck messed those plans up.  Hope the weather is cool and enjoy a great race!
2008-07-09 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1518493

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

You're going to love this race!!  It was my first HIM last year and just had a blast! The bongo player on the hill at 7 miles on the run was great and the ice bath at the end of the race was like heaven. Jeff puts on a top notch race, better than Ironman! (IMHO)

I talked to someone that rode the new bike course and he said that it's a much easier course with a lot less traffic to worry about. The hills aren't as bad as the old course, there are some rough, gravel roads going through the park but not too bad.

I am looking forward to having a great time this weekend!! I'll be sure to look for Gretchen at the finish line!

2008-07-09 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

HOORAY FOR MUSSELMAN WEEKEND!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the Mussel-folks from last year and meeting some new BT friends. I'm always up for a BT meet and greet, I'm going to do my best to get out and volunteer at the mini-mussel so hopefully a good group of us will be able to do that.

I'm in Geneva starting tomorrow afternoon, see you all this weekend!

-Matt

2008-07-09 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1518522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
sprotbery - 2008-07-09 5:03 PM

Enjoy the Musselman.  I was ready to join you all but a bike/car wreck messed those plans up.  Hope the weather is cool and enjoy a great race!

Oh man - definite bummer! Hope you're okay, heal quickly if hurt, and can continue your season. We'll eat a slice of pizza for you!
2008-07-09 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1517529

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
jazz82482 - 2008-07-09 11:54 AM

MUSSELMAN IS THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Are there any plans for a BT meet-and-greet?

Do you or any Musselman vets have any suggestions? Likely spots would be the Athlete Village, the Barn (Expo), or the dinner. Does BT do anything at the Expo? I'll try to look out for folks. Might have my Eagleman 70.3 T on during the day Saturday.
2008-07-10 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
The expo is really really small, surprisingly small! Not much happening there.

As for the new course, I rode it last weekend while visiting my family and sort of miss the old course. Jeff took out what I thought was my best stretch of road! The finish will be much better than the old course though, most likely with a tailwind. The couple of miles through the park are not smooth. Its not potholed, its just really large medium for the pavement, I thought it made it difficult to maintain high cadence and will most likely serve to slow people down a bit. The one large incline isn't so bad, the graph makes it look steep than it is, not that you're going to cruise up it or anything, but its not daunting. The long decline before the park (depot rd to lake rd) is fast and ends with a right hand turn. You can fly down it, but keep in mind the turn that's coming at the bottom.

I'm doing the double and will be in town tonight (very very late...). After the half my family will most likely be hanging out behind the massage tent at a picnic table. I'll be the one drinking Genesee Cream Ale.

I good friend is doing his first HIM aquabike that day, if you happen to blow by a guy in camo shorts and a guinness shirt (don't ask about the wardrobe...) on a big Cannondale say something encouraging. Or better yet, tell him that Kim is catching up...

2008-07-10 7:53 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
We're not going to be at the Expo this year, although we are running the run aid stations on Saturday for both the Sprint and the ITU race in the afternoon. And we could still use some more volunteers!
2008-07-10 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1519608

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

marmadaddy - 2008-07-10 8:53 AM We're not going to be at the Expo this year, although we are running the run aid stations on Saturday for both the Sprint and the ITU race in the afternoon. And we could still use some more volunteers!

If you are around and not racing I have to say that the water station is where all the cool kids hang out. Last year's water station at both the sprint and ITU  races were a blast. What better way to see the pros race than to hand the water to them.

I think Mike was going to pay $100 per volunteer this year as well.

2008-07-10 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon - weather forecast
Well, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for this grand event and thought I'd pass along the latest weather forecast for Sunday. First, though, Saturday looks rather hot, humid, and sunny. So the Sprint and ITU folks are going to have a time of it. Temps to start on Sunday around 70 climbing to the mid 80s by afternoon. Winds SW to WSW around 10-15 mph. Probably a bit lighter in the early morning and building in the afternoon. But, could make for some wind chop on the first leg of the swim with the wind waves trying to push left on the second, and maybe a to the right on the last leg. Then on the bike, should be a combination of head and tailwinds on the long stretches of the route. Lower gears/higher cadence in the wind. The not so great news is that a cold front is forecast to move in during the morning. The weather models are having difficulty on how much rain and when. One's saying most of the rain holds off until after noon and the other brings it in earlier. Still means that clouds will be on the increase during the bike and that for the run, looks like cloudy skies and some showers in the area. That's actually not all that bad as long as we don't get bad storms. But, it doesn't make for great after race celebration conditions. Hopefully, the front stalls a bit and we don't get rain until later. Keep your fingers crossed.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND PERHAPS SEE SOME OF YOU THERE!
2008-07-11 9:43 AM

Good luck everyone.  Enjoy the race...........
2008-07-13 1:58 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Conditions were/are tough out there today. I was at the race site for about an hour and it was soggy to say the least. Windy, with some very big gusts. The water was very rough and the rain was on the verge of becoming torrential when I left. 

Despite this, Mr. "I'm only doing this one for fun, I'm not racing it" aka rstocks3 pulled off another top 10 finish.

Last I heard,  mike hall was looking strong on the run course. Go Mike!

The finish of the women's race was as exciting as it gets. It was a sprint to the finish with the #2 racer (I didn't get their names as it was raining and I had my kids there) FALLING DOWN with about 20 feet to go and crossing the finish line on all fours!

Despite today's weather, this was another outstanding job by the people of Geneva, the volunteers, and Jeff Henderson and his crew.

2008-07-13 3:11 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good to hear about Mike Hall doing well, he hasn't been on here for a while and I was wondering how he was doing.

Awesome job for Bob! (rstocks)!  Swimming this morning in the neighboring lake I figured the conditions would favor a strong swimmer like Bob! 

2008-07-13 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
I was watching the storm come across the lake from our place in Ovid, and feeling really badly for the racers.  It got nasty where we were- torrential rain with thunder and lightning.  I hope everyone was alright, and still managed to have fun (or at least a good race). The water looked awfully rough this morning as well. 

2008-07-14 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1525963

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
marmadaddy - 2008-07-13 2:58 PM

Conditions were/are tough out there today. I was at the race site for about an hour and it was soggy to say the least. Windy, with some very big gusts. The water was very rough and the rain was on the verge of becoming torrential when I left. 

Despite this, Mr. "I'm only doing this one for fun, I'm not racing it" aka rstocks3 pulled off another top 10 finish.

Last I heard,  mike hall was looking strong on the run course. Go Mike!

The finish of the women's race was as exciting as it gets. It was a sprint to the finish with the #2 racer (I didn't get their names as it was raining and I had my kids there) FALLING DOWN with about 20 feet to go and crossing the finish line on all fours!

Despite today's weather, this was another outstanding job by the people of Geneva, the volunteers, and Jeff Henderson and his crew.

HAHA! That was ME! I am such a friggin' klutz- I have no clue why I fell. I think I just tripped, but maybe my leg gave out...who knows. I was trying SOOO HARD to win! She beat me before I fell, though, so the fall wasn't the reason I lost. I definitely couldn't stand up, so I just tried to swing my leg around to get my chip over the stupid mat. Apparently I wasn't quite coherent after that, so I got a trip to the med tent as my punishment for only getting second place.

Man, that was a tough one! Congrats to Julie, the woman who beat me, for getting the win at both the sprint and the half. We had a great time racing each other out there Thanks to all the awesome volunteers- it was a great race!!
2008-07-15 7:42 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Jazz, the Canandaigua Daily Messenger had a picture of the 2 of you running side by side on the front of the sports page last night.  Awesome photo!  I was hoping to post the link here this morning of the photo, but they don't have it on their online edition !
2008-07-15 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Here's my fall:

Photobucket

I didn't realize I was that close! Man, what a bummer She earned it!!
2008-07-15 7:40 PM

What a fun weekend!!  It was my first HIM, and despite the weather, I had a blast and cant wait to come back next year.  Thanks to all the BTers for the great time at the water station at the ITU (in case youre wondering, I'm the girl that was obsessed with Jarrod Shoemaker...wheres that pic?  lol)  THANK YOU for all of your encouragement and kind words, and I cant wait to get together for some training rides/runs soon!!
2008-07-18 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Congrats to all who participated through some "interesting" course conditions! I was one of the folks who jogged/swam to the first buoy on the swim and laughing at it during T1! Since I came in later and left that afternoon, I didn't know about the women's close finish until yesterday. I tried to find an online link to the paper mentioned but not sure it was the same one. If you have the link, could you reply back? Thanks! I did see an article posted on several websites, but I don't think it's the same one. Anyway, it was good meeting folks, especially Bob Stocks who I met by chance at the Athlete's Dinner. Good luck in the rest of your season and training! Maybe again next year (if gas hasn't gone to $7, yikes! )

Edited by sbrdave 2008-07-18 7:03 AM

2008-07-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1532209

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

stingrae4 - 2008-07-15 8:40 PM What a fun weekend!!  It was my first HIM, and despite the weather, I had a blast and cant wait to come back next year.  Thanks to all the BTers for the great time at the water station at the ITU (in case youre wondering, I'm the girl that was obsessed with Jarrod Shoemaker...wheres that pic?  lol)  THANK YOU for all of your encouragement and kind words, and I cant wait to get together for some training rides/runs soon!!

What picture Rae?

2008-07-18 10:03 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

ALAINA ROCKS!!!!!

Notice the "specially developed AERO ARMS" she has developed!!

Sunday stroll? I don't think so!! (Still smiling!!)

2008-07-19 10:16 AM

lol,thanks Bob!  And congrats on your AWESOME race!!
2008-07-19 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1541915

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

stingrae4 - 2008-07-19 11:16 AM lol,thanks Bob!  And congrats on your AWESOME race!!

Would you like the high res image sent to you?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2