Athens YMCA
27F / -3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 20s
Overall Rank = 107/336
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Friday I drove up to Athens from Killeen and checked into the hotel, grabbed my packet, and waited for Bonny (bworkman) to show up as we were sharing a room. Once she arrived we drove the bike course. We then went to the free dinner the 1st Baptist Church does for this and ate with Gina and Clint. The church did a nice job of this, I was very impressed with the whole thing.
That night I tried to go to sleep around 9:45PM, but that didn't happen. My mind was in overdrive. I got to sleep eventually
Woke up early (0430) a.) because I just wanted the morning to get there; b.) Bonny and I wanted to get there early for parking and check in. We did, and then waited for check-in to start. Got body marked, set up transition, got my chip and waited around until the athletes briefing. I also ignored the horribly bossy woman in transition who wanted to tell everyone on the rack EXACTLY how to do everything--and not in a helpful manner, in a very arrogant and bossy manner--oh well, the rest of us laughed. Girl next to me was from Houston and doing her first tri too. I chatted with several of the other atheletes. Then I dropped my warm clothes in transition and did the sprint from outside to inside.
Event warmup:

None--trying to stay warm inside was the warm up. I guess I sprinted from inside to outside for the athlete briefing in just tri top/tri shorts...does that count?
Swim
  • 05m 41s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was jump in feet first, swim down, under lane line, back and forth until the seventh lane and then just down. The water was busy with people coming and going down the lane. The girl in front of me passed several folks, and one guy let me pass him at the wall. The next guy should've let me pass, but he didn't. I tried to draft on his feet some, but really wanted to pass him. Too much movement didn't allow for it in the lane, but he wouldn't let me at the wall either. I tried to pass as soon as we both pushed off the last lane with no one coming at us, but then he cut right in front of me and blocked me going into the ladder. I never saw the ladder and figured he was getting up it anyhow, so I just swam to the end of the lane and exited there. He did apologize at the rack--oh well, he was new too.
What would you do differently?:

I know I lost some form and didn't need to breath every stroke. But, overall, without the guy in front of me slowing me down, I would've hit my target 5:30 I think. This was fine, no major things I could've done differently.
Transition 1
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

HOLY FREEZING COW! I cannot explain what being dripping wet and hitting a wall of 28-30 degree temps feels like except for stinging, freezing cold. The run from the pool to transition was rough gravel/asphalt, ow ow ow. Found my rack without problem--yay for landmarks and bright towel. I took some time to dry off, and I put everything on fairly well and quickly except for I started to put on my ghetto sock knee warmers and decided not too. I also forgot to put on the full fingered gloves (not bike gloves, wouldn't have made too much of a difference) as well. I got to the mount line and couldn't do it quick cause I haven't practiced it much. But brr...so cold, tried to get feet dry before they were in socks, but there was only so much I could consider I was dripping wet.

Have in mind exactly what I needed to put on for the weather. But, that's learning. It was so cold too that I needed to take time to dry off well. Do differently, well--GO FASTER!
Bike
  • 50m 14s
  • 13.8 miles
  • 16.48 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike kicked my butt more than I would've imagined. Major pieces of it for me were:
a.) chip seal--haven't ridden it much, and in the cold it was physically painful. I tried to get into aero in it some, but it was such new and rough chip seal, ugh. I was going SO SLOW on it that I literally stopped, unclipped, and checked my tires cause I thought I MUST have a flat..thank God I didn't cause that would've destroyed me.
b.) Hills- I wasn't prepared for the long gradual climbs, especially on the chip seal and with frozen legs. My hammies/quads felt so frozen--knee warmers wouldn't have done it, they were just frozen. I couldn't get momentum up them. I also just need more T.I.T.S. and specific hill training (thank God Lonestar is flat).
I did take advantage of downhills pretty well, and I did pass some folks and got passed by some folks. First time riding like this in a race, I did say on your left so people knew I was coming up, but never heard it when I was passed--I don't know, maybe I just didn't hear it, or maybe it isn't as important as people say. I would rather be safe than sorry. I did take good advantage of the downhills cause I knew I HAD to make up time there. About 2/3rds of the way through I had emptied my aero bottle and reached for my water bottle behind me...nothing. When I made the very first turn just after the mount line I heard a kid say, "You dropped something" but I didn't drop anything, must've been someone else behind me. Umm, no, must've been me. In fact, it wasn't that my bottle launched, no HALF THE HOLDER FELL OFF with it...thankfully I had the aero bottle or I would've been in the hurt box.

I had to do some major mental battle here too as I started to get really down and disappointed with how the bike was going cause I was sucking...but once I reminded myself that I was more than capable to finish this and that I was a first timer with more running under her belt than biking, the good side of the mind won and I just pushed on to get to the run.

Wear gloves, wear pants maybe, more hill training, more terrain familiarity (not that I want to train on chip seal though). GO FASTER. But, for cycling for only 3 months really, and most of that time devoted to good marathon training, I simply need more training in this...first time racing, learned lots. Also should've had my GU more accessible to take a little before the end of the bike and prior to run...it was in the pocket of the jacket, and no dexterity meant I wasn't getting it out.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

I WAS SO FROZEN. I racked my bike fine, but my fingers couldn't feel anything right. It took me a LONG time to just get my helmet off because I couldn't fill the clip at all because my fingers were frozen. I tried to take it off without unclipping, but I obviously put it on right and couldn't do that. Finally got it off. Got my shoes on fine. My torso was warmed up at this point and dry and it had warmed up more outside (was probably upper 30's, haha) so I took the jacket off and just had my BT Tri Top. I had trouble getting the Garmin off the "quick release" and onto the strap--this cost me time. Plus, I put it on before I took the jacket off, so I had to take it off to take the jacket off and then put it back on. Right before I took off running Aaron (JeepFleeb--who was fast and already done) said hi, and I said hi, glad to meet you, gotta run! Haha, and off I went.

Not be frozen--seriously, this caused me trouble as I couldn't feel my hands and had no dexterity and it slowed me down. I also don't want to use the Garmin quick release anymore. Garmin for run only, or on my wrist during the ride. I'm going to get a different bike computer. Been having trouble with my cadence sensor for the Garmin anyhow--get speed, but no RPM.
Run
  • 22m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Took my GU as I ran to the start. My feet were solid blocks of ice and my hamstrings/quads were pretty solid too..I felt like I was going slow, and couldn't get my Garmin going right to see pace, so I just pushed it as hard as I could, it was only a 5K anyhow. Finally I got the Garmin to wear I could see pace, and I was running sub-7 min mile pacing! Guess I was running just fine. I passed lots of folks and was not passed by anyone. Tried to drink water at the water stations, but I just couldn't get it in and did not want to spill it on myself and cause cold. I was comfortable with just the tri top though. At about 2/3rds through the run I felt my feet somewhat normal again. I slowed some as I had gone out too fast, but didn't know it. I thought I was going to slip or loose footing in the wet grass leading to the finish, but I didn't...and finally I was triathlete.

Have a GU on the bike, not running towards the run. Know my pace better and not start out as hard. I'd rather finish harder. Still, after how hard I felt like I had to work on the bike, I'm really happy with this 5K time.
Post race
Warm down:

Chip off, walked around a bit. Found some water. Went back to put on some warm clothes. Aaron came over and we chit chatted--that's when I found the water bottle rack broken, not just the bottle gone! Met Andy from BT as well, and ate a Cliff Bar. I then made it to the finish just in time to see Bonny finish. Then I just waited around for everyone to finish and do the awards ceremony. I really didn't think I placed as I couldn't tell girls/guys names on the immediate print offs. They had baked potatos, so I ate one of those with Aaron, Bonny, Clint, and Gina. It was really great to meet these folks. Then I sat with one of the other girls that had been seeded/racked right next to me. We were same age group, first tri, etc. Her Mother-in-Law was the one that went up and told Jack he had missed the 25-29 age group. I got 2nd in my AG, but that's only because the overall female winner was in my age group, so no duplicating awards meant I got 2nd and not 3rd. I was pretty surprised and happy of course. Then I did a 3+ hour drive to Houston. I did suck down lots of water and caffiene in that time frame.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold-Chip Seal-Newbie mistakes-not enough time in the saddle.

Event comments:

I thought it was well run. The Cain Center folks had things nicely done and plenty of food for us, that was really nice. The race in general was well done, but I don't think I like dealing with that much chip seal for a sprint...do it again--I don't know, it was fun, but we'll see how close I live to Athens come next year. I might want to just to get revenge on it from the cold and bike this year, we'll see! Bottom line is--I'm a TRIATHLETE now thanks to this race, so it will ALWAYS have a place in my athlete heart. :) Haha! Glad to cut my teeth on this one, and with all the different trials that went with such a cold race, it can only get better! Bring on the Lonestar 1/4 Iron!

Last updated: 2008-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:41 | 300 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 99/336
Performance: Average
None
Suit: BT Tri-Top/Zoot Tri-Shorts
Course: Pool swim: first lane down with no one coming at you, then back and fourth laps, with seventh lane just down, ducking under the lane lines after each lap.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:14 | 13.8 miles | 16.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 144/336
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: To TX-19 south, then to LP 7--down and back course. Chip seal first 3+ miles and thus, last 3+ miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:22:38 | 03.11 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 52/336
Performance: Good
Frozen fingers meant I totally screwed up the switch over from bike to run. I finally got it started just so I could see pace. No data.
Course: Generally flat run path and street point to point ending in a soggy grassy field.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-09 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: Athens YMCA Triathlon

2008-03-09 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1262075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Athens YMCA Triathlon

You did great.  I feel so blessed to be able to be a part of your first triathlon...the first of many I know!  You are now a TRIATHLETE!  I am so glad we got to meet in person finally!  I knew you would do great!  Oh - what an experience for your FIRST triathlon too!  FREEZING cold...you did super.  I know you weren't happy with your bike time, but hey - your swim and run were both A ++  ( your bike wasn't bad either - compare it to all other women that raced).

2008-03-09 9:59 PM

User image

Melon Presser

You are an INCREDIBLE TRIATHLETE!!! (Doesn't that sound wonderful--it is--just like you!) You have been such a bright star on these boards, and it is thrilling to see you become a real triathlete. SUPER CONGRATULATIONS on a phenomenal race, on finishing, and also on your good placing. You've worked very hard!

Racing in the cold, wet, is really difficult and you did a great job. It's hard to suck it up and just forge ahead, but that is exactly what you did. 

2008-03-10 5:26 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Congratulations!  And hardware to boot!

So, you live in TX and you aren't used to rough chipseal?   Oh wait, that's right...you didn't really live there.   But if you HAD lived there, you and chipseal would be well acquainted.

2008-03-10 6:37 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

WOOHOO!!! Great job on your first race, Brittany!!!  And hardware???  Even better!  You'll really like Lonestar.  After the hills and chipseal of Athens, Galveston is a piece of cake.  Congrats and welcome to the club, Triathlete!!!

2008-03-10 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Congratulations again, Triathlete!!!  For your first ever and given all the adverse conditions you faced, you did absolutely fantastic.  Congrats on a job well done and placing in your age group!  (And don't sell yourself short there because one of your age groupers placed overall)

2008-03-10 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You did great on your first race. Welcome to the club, Triathlete :-) Only 17 more days until Lonestar and hopefully this time it won't be so cold!
2008-03-10 1:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-10 1:33 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
WOO HOO!! WTG, Britt!

Ok, I just have to ask. What the hell is chip seal?
2008-03-10 3:23 PM

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race!  An excellent start to triathlon.

And just to remind you of your first ever bike leg, compliments of ricro. 

2008-03-10 5:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Rock on!  Way to go Triathlete.    Very cool race report.  I am glad you enjoyed your first race, even though it was freezing cold. 

2008-03-10 9:59 PM

Champion
MA

You became a triathlete in a tough race with pretty unusual weather. I bet you'll forever remember it

Cool thing is you learned a lot, finished super strong on the run and are a triathlete and hooked now.

Sweet to bring home hardware in your first tri

You rocked it..congrats~ 

2008-03-11 9:29 AM

Expert
Northern VA

You rock! And hardware to boot! That sounds like it was just miserably cold and you rocked it!

Congratulations!

2008-03-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1265016

Champion
the colony texas

chipseal  == texas lovin..

great job out there in those artic temps

2008-03-11 1:29 PM

Pro
Keller, Texas
Awesome race Brittney!  Chip seal really does suck!
2008-03-11 4:32 PM

Master
Houston

Fantastic race report!  I knew you would do just fine and look you made it to the podium!!!  I am so thrilled for you.

Bring on Lone Star!!!

2008-03-11 7:20 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
AWESOME JOB BRITTANY!! Congrats on becoming a triathelte WHOOP WHOOP perhaps they should re-nameit the popsicle tri   Lone star might be flat but beware because long horn is NOT 3000 feet of climbing  
2008-03-12 12:36 AM

Plano, Tx

AWESOME JOB!! Congrats on the first tri

I know what you mean about that chip seal!

2008-03-12 7:38 AM

Master
McKinney, TX
Great job! Now that you've done this one in such bad conditions, everything else will be a piece of cake.
2008-03-14 12:03 PM

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

HOLY CARP.  7:17 pace for your first tri!!!!!!  Mercy.  You are one fast lady.  Work on the T.I.T.S and you will be competing for the podium quite often.

Congratulations.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athens YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed