General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BOP "Sponsorship" opportunities? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-03-15 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Subject: BOP "Sponsorship" opportunities?
So here we are in the first few years of our Triathlon adventure and have quickly found out that this (can be) is an expensive adventure to pursue. Equipment, clothing, foodstuffs, entry fees, etc.

I'm sure many of us may seriously be putting strain on the ol' bank account just to continue to enjoy the triathlon lifestyle and keep ourselves fit in the process. Obviously no one is just going to give us stuff and would probably be with a "pay to play" type of deal. (you pay us $x amount and we'll give you x% discount and some low-level freebies)

Wouldn't it be awesome if there were a person, business, and/or company that would be willing to give us BOPers a break on their gear so that we can continue to do what we love and give a little push to our egos?

I'm even willing to plaster my Jeep with company slogans (think NASCAR sponsors) if it would help fund my cause. More cash in my pocket means a more expierienced coach, a better bike, perhaps even swim lessons(!) and a I'll be a running billboard for a variety of advertisers.

All the time people (both tri and non-tri) ask what we use, eat, ride (don't take that out of context) and where they/we can get it? We look at MOP and FOP to see what has helped them along the way... But what a great encouragment it would be for newbies to come into this sport and see a possiblilty of "sponsorship" early on in the game.

Do these opportunities actually exist?
Are there any MOP or FOPers that started out as a BOP & have any comments/recommendations?

2008-03-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1273468

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: BOP "Sponsorship" opportunities?

Team Javelin.

Gu.

There are others but I can't remember them right now.

2008-03-15 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
There are actually companies out there who will pay you to put logos on your car. This is non-tri related, just companies in general. But, you have to be in the right place, etc. Not sure of any links/info for you though.
2008-03-15 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
that's a couple of places to start looking into. Thanks.

Anyone else care to comment?
2008-03-17 6:54 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Nathan Hydration systems is putting together an AG team of runners, cyclists, multisport and adventure racers, and so is Avia and K-Swiss (shoes). Nathan is more limited, but I think K-Swiss is looking for a few hundred. 
2008-03-17 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Encinitas
It seems to me companies should be looking to sponsor more BOPers. I mean, you put your stuff on an elite and they are done real quick, put your stuff on a BOPer and it's out there getting exposure all day!

2008-03-17 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a MOP/BOP who just started with Team Zoot/Gu. It's supposed to be a pretty good program, that will wind up saving you several hundred dollars in clothing, drinks, Gu and assorted miscellaneous stuff. They sponsor about 300 people total. The application process starts in November, so that might be the time to look.

Brian
2008-03-17 8:36 PM
in reply to: #1277219

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
ACGRAY22 - 2008-03-17 7:00 PM

It seems to me companies should be looking to sponsor more BOPers. I mean, you put your stuff on an elite and they are done real quick, put your stuff on a BOPer and it's out there getting exposure all day!

Exactly!

2008-03-17 9:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Security, CO
Bronze member
This is a real world question with revenue impacts to companies that sell you products and services. I don't wish to offend anyone. BUT...

Companies will always sponsor the winners.

They will never sponsor BOPs.

2008-03-17 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1277450

User image

Elite
San Diego

PintoRacer - 2008-03-17 7:08 PM This is a real world question with revenue impacts to companies that sell you products and services. I don't wish to offend anyone. BUT... Companies will always sponsor the winners. They will never sponsor BOPs.

Actually you are wrong. Most companies couldn't care less about what happens during the race. The only thing they care about is exposure. With most companies looking to sponsor athletes, the first question they ask you is how many races you are doing and which ones. If you are doing 2 local sprint races with 100 people in each race...good luck. If you are doing 15 races that are in major cities, then you have a better chance. Some companies offer advertising incentives if you make it on some sort of publication.

If you were a company, which would you rather have, someone who podiumed at some random race or the guy who finished BOP, but made it on the cover of Triathlete magazine because of some charity work he did?

Having been sponsored by 2 different companies over the course of 4 years, I know they cared more about the fact that I trained with a tri club that is 1700 in size, that I was willing to work in their booths at all of the local tris, that I raced a ton over the year and that I volunteered at every race that I wasn't doing, more than where I placed during any of my races.

Just sayin'

2008-03-18 12:24 AM
in reply to: #1277450

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
PintoRacer - 2008-03-17 10:08 PM

This is a real world question with revenue impacts to companies that sell you products and services. I don't wish to offend anyone. BUT...

Companies will always sponsor the winners.

They will never sponsor BOPs.

no offense taken.. But, I don't completely agree with your statement. I think that a lot of BOPers (and at least 2nd season newbies) could generate income from a different sector of the triathlete marketplace.

2008-03-18 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1277595

User image

Extreme Veteran

I like the logic that the BOPer is out there longer and therefore offers more exposure!  If you have a local bike, tri or running store (or other) that maybe would like a leg up over a more established store, why not put together a little proposal and talk to them?  There could be PR benefits to them when they send a press release to the local newspaper and/or TV station!

My husband likes to say 'luck smiles on the audacious'.  You're making *me* think about this!

Tracy

2008-03-18 9:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
G-Moose - 2008-03-15 11:00 AM

• .be with a "pay to play" type of deal. (you pay us $x amount and we'll give you x% discount..)

• Sometimes things are staring you right in the face and we miss them.

While thinking about an upcoming sprint, I was wondering how I would find other BT-ers at the race. Our bike color and brand, what vehicle we would be driving, or what we would be wearing and I thought maybe I should wear my BT Trisuit.... *BONK* Duh! I advertise for this very community! (and get the x% discount)

Edited by G-Moose 2008-03-18 9:04 AM
    2008-03-18 9:19 AM
    in reply to: #1277530

User image

Champion
    Atlanta, Ga

Madcow is dead on!  Yes, it helps a bit if you're FOP, but companies want good ambassadors.  I've been told by many sponsors that they wouldn't sponsor X person because they don't have the right attitude.  And that person kicks my tail at races.

Sell yourself.  If you're a BOP, say you're out there longer.  If you're FOP, say that people will come and ask you why you're fast and you'll talk them into buying/using Y product.  Bottom line is that companies want GOOD exposure.  It's up the the person to frame it properly.

Good Luck.

2008-03-18 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    Not all FOPers get sponsored, though. My old running buddy (before she moved to San Francisco last month, dangit) was a top-50 finisher at the Boston and Chicago (she took a year off of competitive training to rehab) Marathons -- finished 32nd among women in Boston in '05 I think -- and she's never been sponsored. Ever.

Now I think someone like that would be perfect for a company -- an everyday runner with a real 40-plus-hour-a-week job and responsibilities in life other than running -- because normal people can relate to her.

It's funny -- at the Chicago Half Mary last year I was making my way toward the turnaround at about mile 7 when I saw the lead pack coming by the other way, and there she was. A bunch of sponsored runners all wearing jerseys and caps and nice sunglasses and there she was, chugging out in front of most of them in her old white t-shirt and gym shorts. I think she finished in like 1:26:XX. Not bad for an unsponsored amateur!
    2008-03-18 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
    San Antonio, TX

You never know until you ask.  Your friend may have gotten sponsored if she had done some leg work and approached the complanies.  Very few people/groups get sponsored because the companies came to them.

2008-03-18 10:06 AM

Alabama
    I would suggest the first place to go is your local bike shop. I am a "sponsored" riders on my bike shop's cycling team. I provide them exposure at cycling events all over the SouthEast over the course of the year. And in return, I get a very nice discount on any and all products they sell including free bike maintenance and supplement products.

It doesn't pay the bills or anything but it sure does help when you start adding everything up. Not to mention, joining a team can help tremendously in your training and motivation.

Good luck!

Brooks
    2008-03-18 11:50 AM
    in reply to: #1277975

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    tri-chic - 2008-03-18 9:49 AM

You never know until you ask.  Your friend may have gotten sponsored if she had done some leg work and approached the complanies.  Very few people/groups get sponsored because the companies came to them.

I told her that. She says she just doesn't care because running isn't that expensive anyway (plus she's loaded) ... but she sometimes says `It'd be COOL to be sponsored by .'

Maybe I'll do the legwork for her and charge a fee. Like a sports agent, basically.
    2008-03-18 11:52 AM
    in reply to: #1278016

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    Shaggy - 2008-03-18 10:06 AM

I would suggest the first place to go is your local bike shop. I am a "sponsored" riders on my bike shop's cycling team. I provide them exposure at cycling events all over the SouthEast over the course of the year. And in return, I get a very nice discount on any and all products they sell including free bike maintenance and supplement products.

It doesn't pay the bills or anything but it sure does help when you start adding everything up. Not to mention, joining a team can help tremendously in your training and motivation.

Good luck!

Brooks

OK this is a bit odd but my friend who owns a bar not too far from Grant Park in Chicago said he'd pay for a cycling jersey, running singlet and a new helmet with his bar's logo on it if I promised to wear it at all the Chicago races (triathlon, half-marathon and marathon). I'd be down with that but I don't think I'm going to be able to run the half because it's only six days before one of my HIMs this year.
    2008-03-18 12:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
    Chicago, IL
    Why doesn't he get a group of Chicagoland Athletes for the cause. More exposure for his bar, cheaper to buy jersey's, racing singlets, helmets, ect... when you buy in bulk. And we can be teammates? Sorry I just volunteered to be on your team.
    2008-03-18 12:14 PM
    in reply to: #1277920

User image

Sensei
    Sin City
    Marvarnett - 2008-03-18 7:19 AM

Madcow is dead on!  Yes, it helps a bit if you're FOP, but companies want good ambassadors.  I've been told by many sponsors that they wouldn't sponsor X person because they don't have the right attitude.  And that person kicks my tail at races.

Sell yourself.  If you're a BOP, say you're out there longer.  If you're FOP, say that people will come and ask you why you're fast and you'll talk them into buying/using Y product.  Bottom line is that companies want GOOD exposure.  It's up the the person to frame it properly.

Good Luck.

This (and Madcow) are right.  Not to beat a dead horse...  But who cares if a BOP is out there longer.  NO ONE IS LOOKING AT THEM.  Fine, a FOP is out there 1/3 the time.  But all eyes are on them.  People look at what they ride, what shoes they wear, what wheels they use, what they eat, drink, etc.  TV is looking at them, magazines take their pictures.  It's obvious who you pay to use your stuff.

I know it's expensive to play this game, but it's kind of like asking GE to sponser you to use their laundary machine instead of making you buy it.  Now, if they can pay Brad Pitt, to say he uses a GE washer - now that's saying something (saying what exactly, I don't know!   )

2008-03-18 12:49 PM

Alabama
    I have to agree with the above response. Why sponsor the slow guy? Yes, he/she may be out there longer, but a sponsor isn't going to want their name on them. If that were the case, they could just sponsor the spectators! There are exceptions but I am talking about major sponsors, the ones that will write you a check, and actually "invest" money in you. Sponsorship is an investment, one that should provide a return. Sponsoring the racer in the bottom half of a race is not going to offer the type of return worth investing a lot of dollars into. You may find some small companies here and there, but not the big guys (frame/component/clothing).

Now the guy/gal that comes across that finish line first... well, they will be causing the media to take pictures and interviews and their images will apear in magazines and on websites, etc., etc. Now those are the ones that will provide a return on investment. Or least that is what the sponsor is betting on.

My main background in racing is mountain biking. I am a Sport Class mt. biker and if I were looking to get sponsored by a component manufacturer or a frame manufacturer, I would have to put together a resume listing my race history and how I placed.

It's all about results. Find a local shop or start a team of your own and find sponsors that way. But you definitely need a bike shop for a sponsor! Discounted parts aren't as good as free parts, but they are better than full price!

Brooks

Edited by Shaggy 2008-03-18 12:51 PM
    2008-03-18 1:31 PM
    in reply to: #1278305

User image

Champion
    Chicago
    RickLapinski - 2008-03-18 12:02 PM

Why doesn't he get a group of Chicagoland Athletes for the cause. More exposure for his bar, cheaper to buy jersey's, racing singlets, helmets, ect... when you buy in bulk. And we can be teammates? Sorry I just volunteered to be on your team.

Sweet. Let's do it! We can be `Team Villains' ...

Wait. Are you an FOPer?
    2008-03-18 1:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
    Chicago, IL
    More middle of the pack if I'm lucky. I would love to be in the front of the pack...but that doesn't seem to be happening. That whole training thing along with time doesn't always mesh.

Team Villains 2008...Beware!
    2008-03-18 9:13 PM
    in reply to: #1278337

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Lapel
    Aikidoman - 2008-03-18 1:14 PM
    But who cares if a BOP is out there longer.  NO ONE IS LOOKING AT THEM. 

-if you a BOP and are in front of me, I'm looking you, the dude behind me is probably looking at you as well. I'm wondering what you use, eat, who your coach is, if the brand of bike you ride is making you faster and I want that. I'm willing to bet some of that applies all the way up the chain to non-winning FOPs. (bike envy for example)

Just as there are different levels of Athletes to be trained, I'm sure there are different levels of Sponsorship(s) to be acquired.

I thank you all for your input and comments, etc.
    Maybe I'll ask this question again in a couple of years when I get to MOP.

Sponsored or not, hope you all have a great season.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BOP "Sponsorship" opportunities? Rss Feed  

of 2