SETUP INC
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 49m 59s
Overall Rank = 137/159
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 12/14
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well, of course. Got up at 5:30, got dressed, baby sitter situated, and left. Couldn't eat without feeling like I was going to gag. Had to make emergency stop at Starbucks (which pleased hubby - the addict) due to upset tummy, nerves.
Event warmup:

Set up transition area, talked to friends, took pictures, watched swim and bike start for Open category, ate finally, put in contacts, braided my hair back, a little stretching, hey...I had 1 1/2 hrs to kill. LOL
Swim
  • 14m 5s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the worst swim of my life. I lost almost all composure. I did okay for the first 100, and then couldn't catch my breath and starting freaking; luckily I had a friend's hubby (1for1) to push me through from the pool side. I swam the same distance two weeks ago in 11:30, and felt fine.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get over pre-race jitters, swim a lot more, improve form (again) and take a valium. :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I don't remember much, just glad to be out of that freaking pool. Starting to drizzle rain. Probably wasted a little time fumbling and trying to regain composure.

Run faster to T1 and hussle to get my gear on. Not bother drying off, if I'd known the down pour was coming.
Bike
  • 58m 42s
  • 13 miles
  • 13.29 mile/hr
Comments:

mostly flat with some hills, was afraid to push too hard - wanted some left for the run, never drank on the bike - just held mouth open and caught the rain - I was well hydrated and with the humidity my mouth never even got dry, weather was down pouring rain and some hail with wind and 40 something degrees, I was numb. Rode course with my friend Dia (excited2tri), so we just laughed the crappie weather off as our shoes filled up with water. I even got water up my nose from the bike ride, go figure????

push a little harder on the uphills, maybe tell Dia to go ahead so I would have to go or get left behind. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I was able to dismount without people coming up behind me and I was careful to get my legs under me (I almost fell last time trying to stand up off the bike). Back at my towel, I was fumbling again, everything was soaked and it threw my concentration off.

stay focused, and hurry up.
Run
  • 32m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My shoe came untied the first 1/2 mile, I didn't use Yanks, cause I can't seem to get the tension right (too tight or to loose), and I likes my feet comfy on the run. Walked the uphill gravel 1 min. walk break x2, then again on the uphill sidewalk 1 min. walk break x2 - trying to keep my HR in check. Felt like I was going slower, but I was happy with the run pace as it turned out.

cut the walk breaks down to 30 sec. or 2 less
Post race
Warm down:

Talking with my Queen City Tri Club peeps (thanks for hanging around for us slow pokes ya'll are the best! medic0020, love2tri, and foots), ate an orange, drank some water, started getting cold, wanted to hit the massage tent, but went back to run in with hubby (papahawk) - got that much of a second wind to run another .5 mi. Missed the massage tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of consistent training due to school and illness, being too slow on the bike, and freaking out on the swim. I thought about sticking to running, but I've signed up for one more tri in June, so I'll try to redeem myself before I start nursing school and really don't have much time to train. Overall, I am happy to have completed the race safely. The weather was almost comical relief, unbelievable. The goal of signing up for the race was to keep me motivated to exercise regularly, if I hadn't had it to do, I would not have made it to the gym at all in the past two months. I thought I'd do much better on the swim and bike and that the transitions and run would be longer. My personal goal was to complete the race in 1:45:00 - 1:50:00, so I guess I met my goals. I just can't get the horror of the swim out of my mind; I hate it when I lose my composure. To end on a positve note, one of our friends who is a runner came out to spectate and he wants to do it next year - another newbie on the way...

Event comments:

Seems to me like this race attracts more of the Open (Elite) crowd, not many beginners, I think I'd enjoy it more as a spectator. :) Post race festivities were lousy - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and blame the weather. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-01-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:05 | 500 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/159
Performance: Bad
Suit: tri suit
Course: Pool swim 25 yard short course, weave under rope, 20 lengths
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:42 | 13 miles | 13.29 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
train more on hills and course specifically
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:39 | 03.11 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The race director called it "technical." Two one mile out and back loops, then 1 mile to finish line. Hills, grass, sidewalk, gravel, mud, did I mention hills and mud - specifically together = muddy hills. I was glad not to bust my a$$ on said "muddy hill."
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-30 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: MAP Triathlon

2008-03-30 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1303230

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Subject: RE: MAP Triathlon
Great job in what must have been horrible conditions !

Congrats !!
2008-03-30 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Super Job GyGy!! The nerves will go away with more race experience.
2008-03-31 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Considering what you were up against you rocked this GyGy...never mind the pool spasm and the less then stellar conditions outside and the lousy run course...you sucked it up and finished...and that in my book makes you a winner no matter how or where you placed...you coming back on the run course made my day!!! and running to the finish with me....proud of you!!!  Latta will be you redemption day...  :-)

Love Ya!

Hubby!! 

2008-03-31 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Wow, that weather really, really sucked. Great job on gutting it out!
2008-03-31 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Hey GyGy, doing the bike portion together really made this tri so much fun for me!  If it hadn't been for you, I would probably have been totally deflated.  Thanks for sticking it out with me and making it a fun day.  You did a great job!

2008-03-31 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
way to go gygy!  awesome job!  now imagine how well you'll do when the weather is nice!
2008-03-31 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Dia looks like she's hoping on one foot in the bottom right pic....It kind of looks like the "damn it, I just stubbed my toe" dance
2008-03-31 3:00 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Oh my!!!!  Way to tough it out and finish, Gygy, especially being able to pull it together on the swim.  You rock!

2008-03-31 7:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Great job Gygy!  The weather sucked!  The hail started just as I was headed out on the run and I remember thinking "oh my, those poor folks out there on the bike course!".  I'm glad you and Dia hooked up and made the best of a lousy situation.
2008-03-31 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Sounds like you had a great race in bad conditions! You should feel proud of doing so well, and especially of meeting your goal. Awesome race overall.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MAP Triathlon Rss Feed