Set-Up, Inc
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 29m
Overall Rank = 85/326
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/37
Pre-race routine:

Up around 5:15. The BT house was quiet and everyone was still sleeping. Had my normal breakfast of 2 cliff bars and a gatorade. Drove the 15 minutes to the race, picked everything up, got set up. Garmin cadence was not working so pulled it apart and reinstalled it.
Talked with a few people I knew, had a GU 20 minutes before the race started.
Event warmup:

No warmup needed - water was 65 so no need to acclimate to it.

Mentally went over my plan - swim-find a pair of feet to drag off of, sight well, go a little wide when passing the waves ahead. Bike - get HR down out of transition and up the big hill, settle in first 20, check where I was after 40 and then push or back off - Z2 average HR, drink 2 bottles of accelerade, and pick up a bottle on the course - total calories on bike 1040, total fluids 60 oz planned (ultimately this may have ended up part of my problem as it was much warmer 70's/80's on race day then I had been training in). Run - start off slow and build the pace. Take in 2 cups at each station - 1 water, 1 sports drink or flat cola.

I thought I should be able to go sub 5 in my first half i/m, with a chance to go sub 4:45 and maybe even pick up an AG win if everything went right.
Swim
  • 27m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

One other guy and I lined up front and everyone else seemed to settle behind us. Going in I thought I should be around 27 minutes or so considering the run in the middle of the swim.
The other guy and I jumped out to an early lead on the rest of our AG and I settled in behind him nicely. I lost him about midpoint of lap 1 as we caught the wave ahead of us but not a big deal as I was having a pretty easy time navigating and was really really enjoying the swim. I was taking it easy, rolling my stroke stroke right and everything felt nice and smooth. Maybe my most relaxed swim to date. Jumped out at the end of lap 2, saw a 27 on the clock, felt relaxed and new I had nailed the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Ran a little too hard into T1 as I could tell my HR was elevated and I felt dizzy. Still a quick transition. Short run uphill with shoes on was a little tough.

Run a little easier into T1.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 56s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of T1, got on the bike, checked my hr and sure enough it was very elevated 178 (Z4). Crap. That is not good.

Tried to breathe deeply and calm myself down and HR still would not drop. Decision time - do I keep doing what I am doing or slow way down. I decided to slow way down to see if that would get my HR under control..biked this way for 2-3 miles and still it was in the 170's. Did not know what was going on. By this time I was down to 15mph and had dropped back to 3rd place in my AG. Said F it and started to get back up to speed. Over the next 10 miles my HR dropped 2-3 beats per minute and into zone 2. I also had in my sites both the first and second place guys. Went through the 20 mile mark in 2nd place, averaging 21mph and felt good. I did have a few tough mental miles - 12 and around 35 - at both points I was not happy to be on the bike and racing. Weird - I usually love racing but I guess that is bound to happen at some point even when things are going well at this distance.

Next 20 miles were pretty uneventful and at 40 miles I was in first in my AG, HR in zone 2, nutrition on, avg speed was 21.4 total. Things were going good though I did feel like I was starting to get burned and noticed it was a lot hotter than what I was used to riding in. Around mile 45 I came around a turn and dropped my chain...crap. Jumped off, fixed it quickly and jumped back on. 2 people in my ag had passed me but I figured not a big deal I will catch them again. 1 mile up the road, went to wipe away the sweat and there went the sunglasses - oh well - needed a new pair anyway. 1 mile later chain off again. Crap and this time it was all jammed up in my derailer and took a few minutes to get it out. I did not see anyone but think I was passed by another few people in my AG at this point and was not happy.

Calmed myself down, started going again and I see this guy screaming and running with a huge american flag...who is this guy? Sure enough it is Slake and the rest of the crazy BT crew cheering like crazy - they are awesome and really really helped put me in a better mood. Nothing like having 12 BTers there to cheer you on - they absolutely rocked.

Picked off a guy or two in my AG but stomach was starting to feel off the last 5 miles of the ride and I could tell the spider bite I had got 2 days earlier had swelled up a lot. Pulled into T2 and was really happy to be off the bike.

Drink more - I did not adjust my fluid intake, just drank my normal 16-20 oz per hour which is fine for when it is in the 50's but not fine when it was in the 70's and 80's.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Easy T1 - Garmin quick release works well.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 14m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run and immediately noticed I was very thirsty. I did not feel this way at the end of the bike. Weird.

I knew at this point I was probably 5 minutes behind the leader in my AG with another 4-5 people in between us. Started the run and went through mile 1 in Z3 at 7:45 - right on target. Next few miles were right around 7:45 to 8 as well. Hit the first few aid stations, got some fluids in me and stomach started to really not feel good. Legs were tired but not dead.

At mile 3.8 felt my stomach clench and I got sick on the side of the road. Over the nex 7-8 miles I would get sick after just about every aid station. I am a data geek and it was interesting to watch when I would get sick - first time my HR was 165ish, then it was 155ish, then 145, and on down until finally I was running a few hundred feet and then would have to walk a few hundred feet or I would get sick. Back of my leg was not real painful but a bunch of people came up to me and said that it was very swollen. Oh well.

Saw a bunch of people I knew on the course and there was no in between - either people looked good and were going strong or they were really hurting.

Ran the last 1/3 of mile, made it across the finish line and was really really happy to be done. Announcer said that I had a huge number of people cheering for me - yeah our BT group rocks. :)

Hydrate better on the bike, run slower to start the run
Post race
Warm down:

Went into the lake and floated there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A number of thoughts here - and I need to figure these out before LP:
- what caused me to crap out on the run...was it spider bite, lack of hydration, pushing too hard early on the run, not getting my HR down fast enough on the bike or that I did not have enough long rides under my belt at race pace prior to this race. Also interesting - was not sick Saturday night or Sunday morning but Sunday afternoon I ended up with the flu and a temp of 102.

Still going through this but my thoughts currently are a combination or pushing too hard early on the run, underhydration and I need more long, intense rides.

Last updated: 2007-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:13 | 2112 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/37
Overall: 7/326
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: 2 loop course with a 100 yard run on the beach between loop 1 & 2
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:43:56 | 56 miles | 20.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/37
Overall: 65/326
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling (over 3000 ft of climbing total, though it did not feel like this much)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:14:10 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/37
Overall: 152/326
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 loop course. Rolling hills
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-24 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Kinetic Half

2008-04-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1359394

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Kinetic Half

Dan,

Congratulations on getting that HIM under your belt.  It was a tough day and the weather didn't cooperate like you thought it might, but you persevered, and I'm sure that you learned a lot which you can apply to your IMLP training.  It was great having one of our own fly by on the bike past out makeshift JSing station.  I think lots and lots of LSD rides will do wonders for your training.  Congrats!! 

2008-04-24 11:14 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Really, it could have been that you were just in the early stages of getting sick.  Would help account for the high HR too.  Your race rehersals before LP should help you learn if there are any other issues (pacing, etc.), but I'm guessing that probably explains a lot of your difficulty. 

Nice work finishing under the circumstances.

2008-04-24 12:46 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Hey Dan, Nice race and race report.. It was fun getting to watch ya!

You showed a lot of guts out there.. The run was really really hard due to the temps getting so high early in the season.. And you finished, even after puking 8 times.. Awesome.

Keep plugging away at your training, add in a bunch more LSD rides, and you will be set to rock LP

2008-04-24 12:49 PM

Dude, you rocked the house! Don't be disappointed at all. JohnnyKay makes a good point - maybe you were on the verge of getting sick. And it was really freakin' hot out. Now you know what to expect and what to do to go kick some a$$ in Lake Placid
2008-04-24 1:14 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Dan, Great job finishing your first half.  I know it didn't go quite as planned but I think you have a solid mindset learning from the race and analyzing what happened and where you can adjust things for next time out and at LP.  Just focus everything towards your race prep long rides and runs and work on your nutrition and your plan there.  Everything else is just gravy to maintain and polish your fitness.

Z
2008-04-24 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
I wish I could be there cheering you on. Cheers to your first HIM and many more to come!

Edited by Z 2008-04-24 2:31 PM
2008-04-24 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
I'd bet the stomach problems had to do with both not being used to the heat and being in the early stages of getting ill. It's amazing you finished, especially < 5:30! Great work getting through it and congrats on your first 1/2!
2008-04-24 5:51 PM

User image

Pro
Reston

Dan, congrats on finishing a tough day.  You very easily could have bailed once your day went south but you stuck it out which says a lot. 

I'm guessing that you were well on your way to being sick by the time this race started, and it had a lot to do with why you had such a tough run.  Like you said in report, I think your lack of long rides may have something to do with it also.  Your run mileage is there (and you ran great at CB) but your logs show most of your rides in the 20-30 range.  And no one can prepare for an 80 degree race day when you train in NoVA from Jan-Apr.  If you try to up the hydration to keep up with the heat, your body might reject it anyway. 

Be proud of what you did, and learn from it also.  IMLP is the one that really counts! 

2008-04-24 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Dan,

Congrats on finishing your first HIM!  Though things didn't go quite as planned you learned a lot and can now focus on what you need to do for IMLP.  The struggle to the top makes it even more rewarding when you get there.

You rocked it out and I'm so proud of you! 

2008-04-25 5:56 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Dan,

You nailed the swim...wow..as well as the bike even with dropping your chain a couple times.

First hot day and most folks take some time to adapt to hot weather and it effects run more for many.

With your thought, analysis and training you'll get it down by LP. Looking forward to meeting you up there.

You dream big and are working towards your dream while having fun..that is what is all about 

2008-04-27 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Good work Dan, it was tough and you pushed through it and bonus learned a bunch at the same time Great Job
2008-04-28 12:20 PM

User image

Great report and about time.

Keep in mind that this is the 1st LONG, LONG distance you have raced and you have to realize that your body needs to adjust. Seems to be a common theme after reading the report. In other words I think you pushed when you should have held back a bit. Anyway that is my opinion. What do i know...I'll go back to my Mini-Man Tri's now.

I think the Major problem that you had is you were missing Vlade Divac out there on the course!

2008-04-29 6:03 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Dan,

Sorry the race didn't turn out the way you wanted but hopefully it'll be a good learning experience and help with Lake Placid.  Still that's a good time for a first 1/2.  I'm sure that you're going to have a great race season.

Ernie 

2008-05-01 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1368520

Champion
South Jersey

Ditto what everyone said above.

Great job, though, and good on your for sticking it out when sick and not losing your cool when the chain issues arised. You'll be fine for IMLP !

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Half Rss Feed