Keuka Lake Triathlon Association C/O Score This!!!, Inc
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 51m 40s
Overall Rank = 111/225
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/23
Pre-race routine:

Rode 60 miles with Dud and Ken in some serious heat and wind the day before. I knew it would trash this race for me, but I wanted with the Tupper Lake HIM coming up, I really needed the time on the bike.

Did my usual routine of getting everything packed in the car and putting it in the garage so I could just pull out of the garage in the morning.

Didn't sleep too well, but what else is new the night before a race? Got up at 5, had a banana and some coffee and was out the door. I like driving to triathlons early in the morning. It's a great place to be in mentally; focusing the mind on the task of driving on deserted roads to participate in a hard, complex activity with so much potential. It was beautiful morning for a drive, about 1.25 hours cranking motivational stuff on the iPod.

Got to the venue with plenty of time. Met ridgelake, jackjack, rstocks3 and Matt in the parking lot. We all arrived about the same time and parked in the same small lot. Being greeted by smiling, friendly faces can only be a good sign.

Setting up transition for the first time each season is odd. This was the start to my fifth season of triathlon and my 18th triathlon overall, yet I still had the feeling that I was missing something or doing something wrong. The butterflies were there.

Had some water and a Powerbar.
Event warmup:

Not much in the way of actual warmup for this one. I got in the water to swim a bit and they called everyone out. Suppose that's what I get for farting around in transition.

Swim
  • 29m 12s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Going just by how I felt and how I navigated, I'm thrilled with this swim. My confidence was really high while in the water. I just felt comfortable and capable. Form felt ok and navigation was *on*. At the beginning I was very conscious not to go too hard. Maybe I went too slow, but that's better than blowing up in the first 200 yards.

Dudley loaned me his wetsuit for this and it was AWESOME. It's maybe a bit large for me but not too bad. It certainly was better in this water than my sleeveless would have been.

Started sighting every 4 strokes (l-r together). Every time I looked up I was going where I meant to, so after rounding the second buoy I switched to 5 strokes and then 6. Anytime my direction needed to be corrected it was due to being nearsighted, not to doing my usual imitation of a lure.

Even though I had no idea what my time was, I exited the water happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Draft more. Go a bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

AG: 14
OA: 152

Man, those stairs coming out of the water can be brutal. All part of it, though.

Once in the TA, it felt slow but I knew that the bike wasn't going to be blistering so I just kind of cruised through it. Didn't worry about being fast, just efficient.

Not much
Bike
  • 1h 26m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Slow. But doing a 60 miler in windy, above 90 degree conditions the day before will do that. I knew before I got on the bike that I was going to get passed a lot.

I had one very scary moment when I hit a pothole or something on 54. I was very focused on the road surface there, particularly on the descents but I hit something while in aero and my bars tilted down sharply and my AeroBottle mount came loose. All of a sudden I'm off balance literally holding my bottle assembly together going downhill at 30mph on a road that's in very bad shape. I really thought I was going down but somehow didn't. My life didn't flash before my eyes, but I was remember thinking "Great, now I'm going to have to come up with new childcare options for the summer."

Pulled off to the side at the bottom of the hill and reset the bottle mount. Had a hard time because my hands were shaking due to the adrenalin.

I got a drafting penalty. Which I find amusing because the only time I saw an official on the bike course I was doing a long uphill at 9mph. If you're giving out drafting penalties on long, slow uphills you're doing it wrong. I was also passed by a couple of good sized packs. None of the numbers I saw in those packs got drafting penalties. I got 1 of 3 drafting penalties called in this race when I was passed by two distinct pelotons? I'm not buying it. The official may have thought that they saw it, but here's the fact: I didn't draft off of anyone today. I was passed a lot and was constantly hitting my brakes so that I wouldn't draft. I was training today, not racing. This shouldn't bother me but it does, a bit. Drafters/cheaters tick me off. I was very, very conscious about riding within the rules.

The rest of the bike was very enjoyable. Beautiful day, the views of the lake and valley are just gorgeous.

Drinking went ok. Could have had a bit more Gatorade I suppose. Did a gel at mile 20.

Not much. This was a training ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

AG: 4
OA: 53

Wow. Speedy relative to the field. Felt ok. I even took a few extra seconds to reset the Garmin and change the sport from biking to running.

Nada.
Run
  • 51m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt ok right out of transition. Tried to keep the HR down initially. Much slower than last year, but the heat was a big factor. I may have gone too easy in the first half, but I've blown up in the heat a few times in the past, I've learned to respect it.

Saw Bob coming in at about mile 1. He looked great. Saw Rob and Jackie too. Given the heat, everyone looked really good.

Passed a 17 year old kid after the turn around and yelled at him to run with me. He did and worked his butt off to stay with me the rest of the race.

Lap 1: 08m 13s, 08m 13s /mile, Max HR 162, Avg HR 157
Lap 2: 08m 46s, 08m 46s /mile, Max HR 164, Avg HR 160
Lap 3: 08m 42s, 08m 42s /mile, Max HR 164, Avg HR 161
Lap 4: 08m 16s, 08m 16s /mile, Max HR 172, Avg HR 166
Lap 5: 07m 50s, 07m 50s /mile, Max HR 175, Avg HR 171
Lap 6: 07m 34s, 07m 34s /mile, Max HR 179, Avg HR 176
Lap 7: 02m 22s, 06m 59s /mile, Max HR 187, Avg HR 178
Post race
Warm down:

Fell down on the grass, hung out with Rob, Derek and Jackie. Watched Matt do part of the kids race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Long hot bike ride in the day before.
Heat.

Event comments:

This is good way to start the season

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:12 | 1650 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 88/225
Performance: Good
Given the longish run to T1 which includes climbing a steep set of stairs, I'll take that pace thank you very much. My previous times on this course are 41:38 and 35:13.
Suit: Dudley's Full Xterra
Course: Same as previous years: counter clockwise around an irregular pentagon with the shore as one side. We went out at an acute angle to shore for a few hundred yards, turned about 40 degrees to the opposite shore for about 75 yards, turned parallel to shore for a long stretch and then a sharp turn back to shore where we finished between two docks.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:54 | 24.85 miles | 17.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 159/225
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Same as ever. Parts of the course, particularly along 54 are just plain hazardous. Someone's going to get badly hurt some year when they hit a pothole at speed coming down a hill. The long descent at the end is just amazing. So much fun and worth every foot of climbing.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:43 | 06.21 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 53/225
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the lake. Really nice road to run on.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 9:40 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Keuka Lake Triathlon

2008-06-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1453721

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
Subject: RE: Keuka Lake Triathlon
I'm so jealous! I didn't sign up in time and really liked this one last year. How was the water temp? I remember it being very cold!
2008-06-09 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Oh man that is really scary on the bike, awesome job on staying upright!  Great race given the ride the day before and the brutal heat conditions.

2008-06-09 1:58 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Way to hold it together on the bike.  Nice job.
2008-06-09 2:08 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great swim Mike and awesome race overall!  It was a tough day out there between the temps, wind and road conditions! 
2008-06-09 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

Wow, great work - especially on the bike!!  Had it been me, I would have had to pull over, fix the bottle mount, and then throw up...

Awesome job! 

2008-06-09 2:38 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Great race Marma!  Sorry for the drafting penalty.  I was worried about it myself on my race wh en I was going up Devil Hill.  Then I decided to pull to the right to let people pass, and potentially get off the bike and push it up 

Great run pace, too. 

Still wish you were at Mooseman though. 

2008-06-09 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Dudley's wetsuit was just a little big??  (Sorry dud, had to say it....Wink

Great race Mike!  Your swim improvement is tremendous!!!!  You should be very psyched about that! 

18th tri???  WOW!  Cool

2008-06-09 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Great race Mike!  Your swimming is coming along AWESOME!

Your run pace in that heat is amazing.  My hat is off to you!

2008-06-09 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1455744

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Kam32 - 2008-06-10 9:39 AM

Dudley's wetsuit was just a little big?? (Sorry dud, had to say it....) Wink

Really we blew it up like a balloon and sailed him around the course.   

Great race Mike! Your swim improvement is tremendous!!!! You should be very psyched about that!

Yeah  Mike what she said!  TLT here we come.

18th tri??? WOW! Cool

2008-06-09 9:27 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

I hope you were able to get the urine out of Dudleys wetsuit! It was great seeing you as always Mike! From one cheater to another, I think the official was just upset that he was on a scooter and not a BMW like most of the races.

Keep up the great training!! B2B HERE WE COME!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keuka Lake Triathlon Rss Feed