Columbia Triathlon Association
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m 33s
Overall Rank = 745/1382
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 67/139
Pre-race routine:

Paul (Grems8544) and I drove up Saturday afternoon and got there just in time to listen to the Pro's talk. Troy Jacobsen was interviewing Joanne Zieger and T.J. Tollkasen (sp) and two other pros. No Desiree Flicker, so we cut that short. Checked in and walked through sales stuff. Not much interesting and we hadn't figured out what we forgot yet. Went over and dropped off the bikes. It was stinking hot out, so we went for a swim. It felt really good even without wetsuits. We went to the highschool to see where we would camp and then to Walmart to get what we forgot. I forgot my shower poofy for my aero bottle. Then back to the camp ground. This was probably a bad idea as it was stinking hot and hard to sleep. Ended up with about 5 hours sleep.
Event warmup:

We got to the race early as one of the parking lots was closed and we didn't want to park nine miles from transition. I got in and set up. I got an end spot and the spot next to me was empty. I don't usually get that lucky. Somebody did walk off with my bottle that I had mixed as a pre-race drink. Wandered around and talked to BTers, saw Wyecrab (Glenn), OceanAnnie (Allison), Chippy (Elizabeth) and Daremo (Rick). Went to the porta pottie a couple of times and waited to the last minute to get into the wetsuit because it was already hot out.
Swim
  • 36m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't know how I could have done much better. I was swimming straight and I was on the bouy line. I kept thinking I was swimming crooked because people were going every which way. One guy looked like he was chasing a butterfly, thrashing and changing directions every 5 seconds. I felt really calm and had my breathing under control. I tried to draft but couldn't find anybody going the right speed. Maybe one minute total of drafting.

On the way back, I started catching up to the wave in front and ran into a pack of breaststrokers and detoured around them. Otherwise it was an uneventful swim. I could have held that pace all day and came out of the water with HR under control and ready to ride. It was a slower swim than last year but there wasn't a current on the home leg this year.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, for the training I put in, this was right on target. This turned out to be my best event but I put in the least amount of training. I think I'm a better open water swimmer than pool swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

It's a long run to the transition area and some of it was on gravel. They lost some of their mats. I kept up a nice jog and the tranistion went well except I had a little problem getting one leg out of the wetsuit.

Nothing - 57 out 139 in age group
Bike
  • 2h 53m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.41 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike or the beginning of the end. My secret goal was to finish in 5:30 and I knew that I needed to be sub 3 on the bike with enough left for a good run. My bike and run training had been going well this spring, so I was feeling confident getting on the bike. I was worried about the heat but it didn't feel too bad on the bike. The wind was unusually calm and I thought I had a chance at a good ride.

Got started, tucked into aero and tried to hold my pace. I didn't feel like I was pushing hard or "burning matches". I was getting passed by the disk wheels per usual but I wasn't chasing anyone. I did pass more people than I had in the past but I wasn't feeling tired and my nutrition was as I planned. All in all there isn't much that stands out during this ride. I did see a lot of people fixing flats and saw the ambulance go by a couple of times, otherwise I just watched the scenery. Coming into tranistion I thought I had executed pretty well. Once I started running I knew this wasn't the case.

I should have backed off the pace and payed more attention to the heat. I hadn't trained in heat like that and it was the first real hot weekend of the year. Yes, I can ride 56 miles at this pace and run a half but not in that heat. I should have probably been about 15 minutes slower on the bike.

I did make it up to MOP on the bike which for this course is pretty good. Not many beginners do this race and a lot of the big tri clubs come to this race, so there are always fast bike times. I'm happy with this bike split but it came at too high a cost.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

This went smooth. I was 33rd in the age group. I saw Daremo (Rick) in transition and thought he had already finished. I was thinking "Damn, how long was I on the bike" but he said he DNF'd the run. I was thinking the heat must be bad as Rick is a great runner.

I probably should have taken time to calm down and get my HR way down before the run.
Run
  • 2h 35m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The run - the end of dreams of glory. I came out of transition and saw at least 10 people stretching in the first half mile. Uh oh! I was at 3:37 starting the run and needed to run a 1:52 half to hit 5:30. I know I can run that pace but knew by the first 1 mile mark it wasn't going to happen.

I was shuffling along and my HR was through the roof. I hit the porta-pottie at the first water stop and it had to be 160 inside that thing, which didn't help the HR. I was having to run walk by the 4th mile and knew I wasn't going to break 5:30 and probably not 6. I was into survival mode with most of the other people on the course. It was hot but the humidity was a killer. Everyone looked like they had just gotten out of a pool. I did use Troy Jacobsen tip of putting ice in your hat. It helps if you have hair and I had to keep adjusting to keep from getting freezer burn but it was the only thing helping. My nutrition plan called for Hammer Gel but hot Hammer Gel is pretty disgusting. I did try potato chips and they helped my stomach a lot. The last 6 miles was a blur, although I remember seeing all the BTers on the run. I did see this woman speed walking with a cast/soft boot on her leg and she was moving. When she was passed me I realized it was Johnny Kay's sister. Wow, that's HTFU.

I know this was a bad run when I couldn't even run the whole last mile, which sucks because you can see the finish across a little cove. I wasn't too motivated the last 2 miles because I knew that I couldn't break 6 hours. It was great to finish probably my worst run ever.

I not sure there was much I could have done. There was no way to train for that heat. Going slower on the bike would have helped but it still would have sucked on the run. Although, my pacing did take me out of my strength which is the run. For as slow as I was, I think all the old guys had problems because I was MOP for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the finishing shoot. One of the catchers is talking to me when another dumps 2 cups of ice water on me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I wish she would have asked. Stumbled off to get something to eat and not go into full body cramps. I wanted to wait for some people to finish but it was too hot. I needed to get out of the sun and cool off. I think most people were thinking the same because there were no lines for food and nobody socializing. The only people around were the ones waiting for slots for Kona and Clearwater. Packed up and headed home with the air conditioner blasting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and poor pacing on the bike. As I've said before you have to balance fitness, pace and nutrition. Now I'm going to add conditions. I raced my fitness at the right pace for 70 degree weather. It doesn't work with 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity.

Event comments:

This is a top tier event that attracts a lot of big name racers. The organizers have a lot of experience and the town supports the race. I can't say enough about the volunteers. It was ungodly hot and they stood out there just to help. They were friendly and always tried to get you what you needed. If they wouldn't have kept ice on the course alot of people would have gotten hurt.

Last updated: 2008-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/139
Overall: 484/1382
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: A weird shaped course. A sorta strange shaped rectangle. A different course than the last two years
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:08 | 56 miles | 19.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 71/139
Overall: 749/1382
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: One big flat loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:35:52 | 13.1 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/139
Overall: 833/1382
Performance: Bad
Course: A flat out and back through hell, only hotter
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2008-06-09 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1455911

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
Great job on a tough day!

You are absolutely right about the volunteers; at every station people were willing to get whatever you needed. They were also incredibly supportive, given they were out in the sun for hours, too.
2008-06-10 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia

Wow, Ernie!  That heat was brutal.  I think it's pretty impressive that you finished with the time that you did.  There's not much you can do training wise to recreate that heat/humidity factor.  You stayed in there and gutted it out.  That's pretty kick a$$ in my book.

2008-06-10 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Ernie, 

It was great to see you on the run -- really perked me up. I remember seeing the chick with the cast/boot and also thinking "Wow - she's a bigger bada$s than I am". Amazing. 

Sorry it wasn't the race you wanted, but you rocked it anyway. Congrats!

2008-06-10 7:45 AM

Veteran
Wow Ernie,
I think you did brilliantly. It was just awful out there and everyone's expectations just got tossed. I am proud of you.
Rhonda
2008-06-10 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job Ernie! That was the hottest weekend we have had in a long long time around here.

2008-06-10 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Great job Ernie.. persevering in those conditions are tough..
2008-06-10 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Great work Ernie, you faced some nasty conditions.
2008-06-10 10:12 PM

Pro
yep,
Nice job Ernie even with the heat still a very good time.
2008-06-10 10:23 PM

User image

Elite
great job surviving a tough day Ernie!!!
2008-06-13 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD

Survival was the name of the game and that you did! Everybody had their worst run ever, and it was almost impossible to feel like you had a good race. Nice job making it through the heat. File this one under 'Lessons Learned'.
How ironic would it have been to get a freezer burnt scalp?! Nice chatting with you before the start. Once again, way to tough it out.

2008-06-13 2:48 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Ernie - good work in the some seriously tough conditions. The mental battle was just as difficult as the physical battle dealing with the heat. You plugged through with resiliance. Chalk it up to experience and save it as reference for later on when you need it.
2008-06-13 2:56 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Tough race!

You actually looked pretty good coming into the transition!  And that is a great bike split for you.  Nice work!

Everyone paid for their bike splits on the run.  Don't worry about that too much.  You can keep training, put up those sort of times for the swim and bike next year and put a solid run on it and you will be golden!!

2008-06-15 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Nice job on the race!  The run sounds like it sucked.  I had a race similar to this last year (minus the humidity). Great way to HTFU and stick with it.  I don't know how you eat the hammer stuff. It is pretty nasty.

Great job surviving.  

2008-06-15 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Nice job out there, Ernie!
Definately a mental toughness day!
Way to stick it out!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}